The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2004, 06:35 PM   #11
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Overall, I enjoyed it very much. I was up late into the night watching it, and at the end I had a wonderfully satisfied feeling. However, I did have some disappointments. I'll mention only the scenes that had the greatest impact, so to speak, on me.

The greatest disappointment was the Voice of Saruman scene. The whole family was thrilled when we saw it was going to be in... the actors were so brilliant... they were delivering their lines beautifully, and it was if I were sitting within the pages of the battered old book I heard so long ago. But I'd heard rumours and when Grima pulled the knife I felt my heart sinking. I didn't even really care to watch what happened after that. I was quite speechless... I really feel that the scene was spoiled by the deaths of Saruman and Grima. I was completely shocked, too, that Christopher Lee had allowed them to get away with it. I was very glum about that. For one thing, it brings vividly back to mind that the Scouring is not included, and for a second, I really did not think it was well-done. I don't enjoy watching the deaths, and I think that they were absolutely awful, but as long as it was the Voice of Saruman, and not the Death, I loved it.

While the drinking contest between Legolas and Gimli wasn't from the book, it was great fun, and the little hobbit of the family thought Gimli immensely funny. My only disappointment was that Gimli didn't win.

The scene where Merry offers his allegience to Theoden was short, but very wonderful. He spoke just like a hobbit, without any fancy and flowerly lines, but his honesty and loyalty were absolutely grand. In just this brief little scene I recalled why Merry has been my favourite character since childhood.

Aside from the Grey Havens, the closest I came to weeping in this film was in the added scene of Denethor and Faramir. When Denethor stood, and his eyes filled with love and he said: "My son," I caught my breath in awe and hope... it was heartbreaking to see the look on Faramir's face when he realised that Denethor was not speaking to him. Brilliant, if sorrowful, scene.

However, to return to a disappointment, I did not particularly enjoy the confrontation between Gandalf and the Witchking. It bothered me that Gandalf was thrown from his horse and left in such a position of helplessness. It added to the wonderful feeling of hope that came when the Riders of Rohan arrived, but it bothered me nevertheless. I recall when first hearing the story as a child I was frightened for Gandalf. It seemed as though there were no hope for him, and that he would surely be destroyed by that awful Witchking. And yet I saw him in mind's eye, tall upon his steed, making a courageous stand despite a doom that looked him in the face... brave and noble, and full of kingly majesty. It was rather difficult to have this childhood vision shattered by the sight of Gandalf lying helplessly and almost weakly upon the ground. I was the reconciled to this, however, because earlier on Gandalf was that Gandalf I loved best, when he rode out, shining, to the aid of Faramir and his men. But the worst disappointment of the Witchking scene was when I realised that the cock would not crow. Of all parts in the book, that was what made my heart soar highest... when the cock crowed, heralding hope.

In part I agree with HCIsland about Gothmog, and I thought it was rather silly to show Gothmog's death, but I can't deny that whether there was a silence or not, everyone in the room felt like cheering. I would have preferred it most if he had not even been in the film... the only one who beats him in horridness, for me at least, is the Mouth of Sauron.

Oooh... the Mouth of Sauron. He was a truly annoying fellow. I've always detested him, ever since I knew of him. I suppose he's the Mouth of Sauron, so he won't do much besides talk, but I've always thought he talked a little too much. As for his unexpected end, I echo what dancing spawn of ungoliant said. Aragorn's actions were not kingly and noble. It was not pleasant to think that one of the first things he did when he placed at the head of his men, alongside the other leaders such as Eomer and Gandalf, was to cut off an enemy's head with not warning of any kind... it was even more disappointing that he seemed to lose his temper when the insults were directed towards him, rather than taking that swipe when Frodo and Gandalf were the targets of ill words. I do feel twinges of anger when I think of it, yet I'm not outraged as I should be, for I've always thought very highly of the nobility of Tolkien's characters. In all honesty, my thoughts were not: "Ah, Aragorn, you've ruined yourself!" when it happened, but rather: "Well, good! He was a detestable fellow anyway."

I've gotten slightly ahead of myself, and before I run along I want to go back and mention Faramir and Eowyn in the Houses of Healing. I thought it was wonderful. Two wonderfully happy people... but... why was it so awfully short? I've always thought that Faramir and Eowyn had some of the best lines in the book. I knew I wouldn't be able to see the beautiful moment where, atop the wall, their hair, black and gold, was mingled in the wind, because Faramir didn't have dark hair, but I had hoped for some of the gorgeous and breath-taking lines from the books. Nevertheless, I'm happy that we had some scene, however small, for them.

No matter how much I was disappointed, I can't feel any resentment after watching this movie. The Grey Havens reconciles me to absolutely everything... and almost wholly because of Sam. Bringing that to mind, I can say honestly that this was a brilliant movie... absolutely brilliant. I'll be watching it for years and years to come. I feel not even a twinge of sorrow that it's all over, and that no more films will be coming out, because, why, when I sit and begin to watch these films, it's starting all over again, just like it did years ago, and I've got all three of them to look forward to still.