The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-17-2004, 12:02 PM   #1
thephantomcredits
Animated Skeleton

thephantomcredits has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Role specific maia

Did all Maiar have a specific role to fufill? Was Olorin always set apart as an Istari. I know other Maia under Ulmo and other Ainur have a specific responsibility, I'm just wondering if that is a chosen path or determined for them.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:35 PM   #2
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I don't think they got specific tasks asigned to them by the Valar or by Eru. They were offspring of Eru's thoughts and they were all the offspring of some other thought, I guess. They had their own inclinations and characters. Just as humans can more love the woods than the seas, there were Maiar who loved one thing more than another thing.

Also, the Istari were not from the beginning asigned to become Istari in the Third Age of the Sun. They were Ainur and had their different things to do and places where they were most. For example, Saruman was an Ainu interested in things as forgery and smitying and such, whereas Gandalf was an Ainu who often gave solace and dreams to the Valinorean Elves.

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 03:55 PM   #3
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

They just had their own interests and aptitudes, and "attached" themselves to the Vala whose area of expertise, as you could call it, most closely corresponded with their own. Thus, Curumo and Sauron attached themselves to Aulë, Olorin attached himself to Manwë and Varda, but was also close with Nienna, and Aiwendil was "attached" to Yavanna. It just depended on the individual interests of the Maia.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote