The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-07-2004, 07:49 PM   #41
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Quote:
what type of chocolate was inside? Godiva maybe?

*drools*

Mmm... Godiva...

My art teacher gets migraines from chocolate, cheese, and wine. I asked her what the point of living was if she can eat chocolate... She said it's not so bad... but considering my after-school snack was a chocolate donut, hot chocolate, and a hershey bar... I think I'd have trouble giving it up completely.

Makes me wonder if Middle Earth had peanut butter...

Fea
Old 01-07-2004, 11:02 PM   #42
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Mm...you almost can't have chocolate w/o peanut butter.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Being a fan of the Middle-Earth Gardener, and seeing as how both chocolate and peanuts come from plants, why not? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 05:30 PM   #43
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Ithaeliel is right. There couldn't have been chocolate in Middle-Earth at that "time" because it came from south America. I don't know the story exactly, but I hear that inside a coco pod(including the beans and such) the beans are covered in a sticky sweet syrup. The story I heard said something about the natives only eating the sweet sticky stuff cause it was tasty, and leaving the coco beans for medicine or something. I hope you all know that coco beans by themselves taste terrible. So I guess one day, a native was collecting coco pods when one was crushed(don't ask how, I don't know) and the beans were mixed with the syrup. And that's how the first chocolate was invented, or so I hear. I don't think that chocolate would have been introduced to Europe or any of the eastern Hemisphere until the Spanish landed in South America in the 1400's. Sorry everybody who would have loved there to be chocolate in ME, you'll just have to stick to bacon. Mmmmm, bacon.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 08:00 PM   #44
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Quote:
There couldn't have been chocolate in Middle-Earth at that "time" because it came from south America.
It's been said before on this thread, but potatoes and tobacco (ie pipeweed) came from the Americas too (darn you Americans for my addiction [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ). Given that it is a fantasy world, I see no reason why they should not also have had chocolate (or coco beans at least).
Old 01-11-2004, 03:55 PM   #45
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There is Carob.

Carob is a plant that grows in the Mediterranian area which produces little brown beans. Some types of Chocolate are made from Carob instead of Cocoa beans. The climate in places like Ithilien was probably warm enough to grow things like coffee, oranges, and carob.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:09 PM   #46
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Quote:
dish, of course, was covered by a blanket of spices
Sorry to drag things up in a spirit of pedantry, but I have to quibble with this claim in an otherwise most learned and informative post. According to some wise food historians I recently had the honour of hobnobbing with, the idea that mediaeval food was heavily spiced is actually erroneous. Spices were extremely expensive and thus used with delicacy and caution.

And yes, if M-E had pipeweed and taters, I see no issue with chocolate. They certainly had stuff to sweeten it with - remember that honeycomb at Tom Bombadil's, and the honeycakes of the Beornings...
Old 01-11-2004, 05:58 PM   #47
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mr. Frodo??? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

I have no issue with chocolate, either. It was a plant, and there were certainly plants in ME, or they wouldn't have needed Gardeners! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote