The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-19-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
Dûrbelethwen
Haunting Spirit

Dûrbelethwen has just left Hobbiton.
A Norwegian skier named Frodo

While watching the Olympics I saw a skier from Norway whose first name is Frode. I did some searching and found out that the name means the same thing as Frodo, so in a sense his name is Frodo.
Dûrbelethwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
And a politician's moppet named Elwen....

The leader of Her Majesty's Opposition and his missus have called theri son

Arthur Elwen Cameron...

All the papers have gone WHAT!!!!???? I just thought ..but that's a girls's name!!!

One paper has equated it with Elwin (Alboin) and translated it Elf-friend but surely it is Elf-maiden or Star-maiden?

David Cameron has denied the Tolkien connection saying his wife found it in a book and liked it.... but I can't help thinking that even Frodo would have been better for a boy...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I did a double take when I heard that Norwegian name during Olympics on TV last week!

I heard a rumour that the singer Sting chose his name in honour of Bilbo and Frodo's sword. Can anyone confirm that?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:55 PM   #4
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sorry to be dull but I believe it was down to a stripey sweater that made him look like a wasp/bee..

Old 02-19-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

I was slightly freaked out by the name of that Cameron child, considering I sometimes call a girlfriend Elwen.

The Sun reported that many experts believe that the child is named after 'Lord of the Rings elf Elwen'. What a laugh!
Old 02-19-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

well I was about to write to The Telegraph when they associated it only with computer games, but the Alboin thing was in the Mail..... but they didn't write as if they really knew what they were talking about (surprise surprise)

Old 02-20-2006, 05:38 AM   #7
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien took all his non-Elvish names straight out of old tales from various Northern European cultures. It would not suprise me to learn that Frodo is a common name in parts of Scandinavia.

Elwen is derived fron the Anglo-Saxon Elfwin of Alfwine, meaning Elf friend. (I though everyone would know that).
I assume that it's a name originally given to someone who's a bit dozy or "otherworldly"; "off with the fairies", as my grandmother might have said..

Last edited by Selmo; 02-20-2006 at 05:56 AM.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:58 AM   #8
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dûrbelethwen
While watching the Olympics I saw a skier from Norway whose first name is Frode. I did some searching and found out that the name means the same thing as Frodo, so in a sense his name is Frodo.
Frode is a quite common name in Scandinavia. I don't remember how it is pronounced in Norway but in Denmark you allmost can't hear the D. Unlike Frodo

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:58 AM   #9
Gothmog
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gothmog has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Gothmog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selmo
Elwen is derived fron the Anglo-Saxon Elfwin of Alfwine, meaning Elf friend. (I though everyone would know that).

I assume that it's a name originally given to someone who's a bit dozy or "otherworldly"; "off with the fairies", as my grandmother might have said..
That's right, and the Swedish (Scandinavian?) version of the old Elfwin is Albin.

When it comes to the name Frode (That must be Estil. Haven't you heard of him before? Well, I'm Swede so skiing might be a bit more popular here...), why are you surprised that it reminds you of Frodo? There's a lot of threads discussing the Tolkien-Norse connection. The fact that some names still remain in the Scandinavian laguages is only natural.

When I read this post, it comes out as slightly aggressive. Don't read it like that! It's an order! If you do, then I'll...

Edit: Cross-posted with Rune. In Danish, you can't hear 50% of the letters

He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom
~Lurker...
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:11 AM   #10
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmog
In Danish, you can't hear 50% of the letters
We just like to make things complicated, thats all. . .

It's not like your language isn't silly. . .When a swede talks it sounds like they are half singing.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:10 AM   #11
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe Some linguistic confusion elucidated

Quote:
But that would be Elwin. My guess is that somehow the form picked by the Camerons has been corrupted, perhaps due to phonetic spelling at some point in its history. However, one could translate the wen component as OE wēn, 'supposition, opinion, thought, idea' or 'hope, expectation', and if they found it in a book then the author may have chosen the spelling for this reason.

As for the component wen meaning 'woman', that's true in Sindarin but not English. The similar component in Éowyn's name is OE wynn(e) ('joy, delight, happiness, etc.') and is non-gender-specific.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:18 PM   #12
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
More Linguistic Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
But that would be Elwin. My guess is that somehow the form picked by the Camerons has been corrupted, perhaps due to phonetic spelling at some point in its history. However, one could translate the wen component as OE wēn, 'supposition, opinion, thought, idea' or 'hope, expectation', and if they found it in a book then the author may have chosen the spelling for this reason.

As for the component wen meaning 'woman', that's true in Sindarin but not English. The similar component in Éowyn's name is OE wynn(e) ('joy, delight, happiness, etc.') and is non-gender-specific.
I have determined that Squatter (skwa-tur) is a compound of the Old Gothic verb skwat meaning 'learned, deeply knowledgable, informed' and the Old Norse terin meaning 'ferocious, monstrous, terrifyingly big'.
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #13
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
A Norwegian skier named Frodo
Was to the Swedes quite a la modo.
Yet the Cameron child
Eorl Elwen the Wild
And the Danes, preferred calling him Odo.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:21 AM   #14
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe The derivation of my name

Well, Fordim, that could be so; but it could equally be derived from the Indo-Germanic compound skvot tur, meaning 'pretentious show-off who has Bosworth-Toller bookmarked'.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:36 AM   #15
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dûrbelethwen
Lol, my daughter & I saw him too, and spent about an hour cheering on "Frodo Estel"! (Apologies to Scandinavian Downers...it was impossible to resist changing 'Estil'.)