The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #41
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post

Meh...I just watched 'The Big Sleep' with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. It seemed to me the various characters smoked more in that one movie (made in 1946) than in all movies made since 1980. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but as a smoker, even I was appalled at the amount of times Bogie and Bacall lit up -- a far cry from any movie in the past several decades. Honestly, I can't recall smoking so pronounced in any film within recent memory (save perhaps Lord of the Rings).
Never seen it but given it's Bogey and Bacall, you've got me predicting just what activities preceded the smoking. Which has nothing to do with smoking in LotR of course.

Quote:
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
And as a European, you are probably also overlooking American views of art, drama, tv, movies and the imagination. They are mired in a realism--and a legal industry--that for Europeans would be laughable.
Just what is the American views of art, drama, tv, movies and the imagination? Being an American, I am curious as to just what my opinions are. I am sure a European can explain myself to me.
davem has of course stepped into the breech and freed me of any need to reply, so I won't. Except to say . . .

You've got me there. I could hardly explain just what the American views of etc would be, a One Ring America so to speak. I was referring merely to American views without the definite article, of which there can be several--a sort of Three Ring circus if you will--some of which obviously can be your own, which I would not endeavour to explain to yourself as I have not explained them to myself, being as yet unaware of them, never having yet discussed American films with you.

I do recall, however, a litigitious American court case in which a manufacturer of ladders was found negligent for having, despite umpteen signs and stickers on its products relating to the safe use of said products, failed to post a sticker advising new owners not to place said product in a pile of animal manure and then climb upon it, as under the heat of the sun the footing could be warmed, causing the ladder to become unstable, leading the Litigator, who had fallen into the pile under just such a warming influence, to initiate and win said court case against the Litigatee. The business end of Hollywood is undoubtedly very aware of such a victory and is, I would suggest, covering itself with such disclaimers. From my perspective, European movies are not produced in such a barnyard.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #42
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
You've got me there. I could hardly explain just what the American views of etc would be, a One Ring America so to speak. I was referring merely to American views without the definite article, of which there can be several--a sort of Three Ring circus if you will--some of which obviously can be your own, which I would not endeavour to explain to yourself as I have not explained them to myself, being as yet unaware of them, never having yet discussed American films with you.
As I'm not quite sure what you just said, I'll just pretend I am holding the TV remote and nod my head like I understand. It often works at home.

*Nods and smiles*
Old 01-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #43
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bb
Never seen it but given it's Bogey and Bacall, you've got me predicting just what activities preceded the smoking. Which has nothing to do with smoking in LotR of course.
Never seen The Big Sleep? I'm shocked that a movie aficionado such as yourself never caught it. Ah well, the main attractions are Bogie being Bogie and the sparks he strikes with Bacall onscreen. It works much better as a novel. Take out most of Chandler's lively prose and strip it down to bare plot and I'm afraid it's a bit difficult to make sense of.

Anyway, what made me post is to say that in a lot of those old forties movies there didn't have to be any particular "activities" as you so delicately put it to prompt smoking; everybody smoked like chimneys all the time. They'd wake up in the morning and reach for a smoke.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #44
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill View Post
Anyway, what made me post is to say that in a lot of those old forties movies there didn't have to be any particular "activities" as you so delicately put it to prompt smoking; everybody smoked like chimneys all the time. They'd wake up in the morning and reach for a smoke.
One of my favorite movies, 'The Quiet Man' with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara (directed by John Ford) also shows the differences in economics from then to now. John Wayne smokes about 100 cigarettes throughout the movie, but usually tosses them away after only a couple of puffs. With the cost of cigarettes currently (along with the taxes burdening each priceless pack), he would be much more careful with his tobacco treasures and savor each puff, only ruefully parting with them once reaching the baleful butts.

*Sniffs*
Old 01-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #45
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Personally I think it has been delayed while all the British actors auditioned for the role of the next Doctor - now the 11th has just been announced they can start casting for The Hobbit
Old 01-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #46
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Personally I think it has been delayed while all the British actors auditioned for the role of the next Doctor....
Ummm...Doctor who?

*ba-dump-bump*

Sorry, it was there, I had to take it.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #47
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Ummm...Doctor who?

*ba-dump-bump*

Sorry, it was there, I had to take it.
As the 10th Doctor might say, what? What? WHAT?!
Old 01-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #48
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
As I'm not quite sure what you just said, I'll just pretend I am holding the TV remote and nod my head like I understand. It often works at home.

*Nods and smiles*
I'll have to remember this, as an example of a handy extricatory rhetorical device if ever it appears you are getting the best of me in a discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill View Post
Never seen The Big Sleep? I'm shocked that a movie aficionado such as yourself never caught it. Ah well, the main attractions are Bogie being Bogie and the sparks he strikes with Bacall onscreen. It works much better as a novel. Take out most of Chandler's lively prose and strip it down to bare plot and I'm afraid it's a bit difficult to make sense of.

Well, I say never miss an opportunity for innuendo, whether it fits fully or not, Mister Underhill. But, yes, sad to say, I do have these gaps. It comes from having not been born in the generation that watched these movies when they first were released.

Although I have seen the absolutely wonderful A Matter of Life and Death, 1946 version, which I believe in the US was released as Stairway to Heaven and revived by Martin Scorsese. My parents spoke endlessly of it, admiringly, to much laughter. There's a coke machine in heaven for the Yankee flyers; I cannot recall if there is much smoking in it, but as a film, it's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Personally I think it has been delayed while all the British actors auditioned for the role of the next Doctor - now the 11th has just been announced they can start casting for The Hobbit
Does this mean that David Tennant is now available to play a younger Bilbo?
Old 01-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #49
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Quote:
Only if he goes on a binge eating spree.
Even a middle-aged Bilbo wasn't exactly svelte.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #50
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
Only if he goes on a binge eating spree.
Even a middle-aged Bilbo wasn't exactly svelte.

Well, you know, Tennant has just had surgery on his back, so I was thinking that might faciliate a more rounded appearance, shall we say.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #51
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Well, you know, Tennant has just had surgery on his back, so I was thinking that might faciliate a more rounded appearance, shall we say.
I suppose he might get t'hump if the new Doctor turns out even better.

I'll get me coat...
Old 01-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #52
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Another site reports TH release as 2012 http://sacurrent.com/film/story.asp?id=69745 - this from yesterday:
Quote:
In Hollywood, a land where the sequel to a film not yet released (The Hobbit) already has a release date (December 2012), there’s no such thing as looking too far ahead.
If they can afford to make it at all, that is....http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...profit-warning

Quote:
The sprawling media company, which owns businesses including CNN television, Time magazine and Warner Bros film studios, said its underlying growth in operating income would be closer to 1% than the previously forecast level of 5%.

The update dismayed Wall Street, sending Time Warner's shares down by 6.2% to $10.29 during early trading on the New York Stock Exchange. A loss will be a stark reversal for the group, which delivered a net profit of $4.3bn in 2007.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #53
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
davem
thanks for that link to upcoming films. Several look very good to me including SHERLOCK HOLMES, PUBLIC ENEMIES and WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE. It should be an interesting year in film.

As far as Warners in money difficulties, that is undeniable. But I think HOBBIT is pretty much a sure bet and they will not pass it up.... or if they had to there would be no lack of interest elsewhere with its huge potential of revenue.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #54
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post

As far as Warners in money difficulties, that is undeniable. But I think HOBBIT is pretty much a sure bet and they will not pass it up.... or if they had to there would be no lack of interest elsewhere with its huge potential of revenue.
But the question is not whether it will will be made, but when it will be released - will it be delayed so as not to clash with other big movies (or maybe till the economic climate picks up to ensure a bigger box office & more income from tie-ins) - & whether they will continue with their plan of a 'faithful' adaptation of TH for movie one, or whether they will go for a more 'commercial' movie which brings in much of the stuff they've been talking about holding back for movie 2?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #55
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Late 2011 or even 2012 is a long way away. Economic times could change quite a bit by that time. But we shall see. Patience is a virtue.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #56
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Tennant is a fine actor (though Dr Who doesn't appeal to me now I am not 6 and don't find it at all scary) but he is far too lanky and fey to be Bilbo. I could see him as the elven king if we forget that he had gold hair in the book - but of course he wouldn't fit with being Orli's dad so it won't work for this set up) but he does have that dangerous quality ... can easily see him chucking Thorin in the clink.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #57
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Actually, DT would make a rather good Elrond,
especially TH Elrond, but for Bilbo, remember
that in human terms you're thinking a 40ish
Babbit/Death of a Salesman type person, hmmm...
Old 01-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #58
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Actually - David Tennant for me is far more silmarillion-ish. There are various roles he would be good for - Eol maybe particularly. I don't suppose it will happen but there are some Sil stories which would make great films. I have alwasy felt that the Hobbit (which truly comes alive when it is read aloud) with the mini cliff hanger ever couple of chapters was best suited to a tV serial like the classics they used to adapt for Sunday afternoon teatime family viewing -. But modern lifestyle means that they don't do them so much and of course it aint where the money is...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #59
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Narnia To Take Off With Fox

Following Disney's decision not to co-finance the next Chronicles of Narnia feature, 20th Century Fox said Wednesday that it plans to partner with Walden Media to make the movie. Daily Variety reported today (Thursday) that the film, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, will have a production budget of $140 million -- far less than the $215 million that last year's Prince Caspian cost. Nevertheless, the Los Angeles Times commented today that while the budget is much lower than Caspian, "it's still a big gamble." But Variety observed, "Dawn Treader is "considered to be a more family film-friendly book, and the goal is to get back to the magical aspects present in the first Narnia pic[ture] but mostly absent from Prince Caspian."
Also, I heard that Spielberg finally forged a deal to get the first Tintin movie going.

Actually I wonder if a bit of a budget crunch for The Hobbit might not be a good thing. Filmmakers often do their best work when they're forced to get creative to solve problems instead of just aiming the money hose at them.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote