The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye Elwe Singollo

So I'm rereading through the Silm for the frillionth time (working on my undergrad thesis ), and I was startled to realize that I absolutely despise Thingol. I can't really place my distaste for him: perhaps it's because of his abandonment of the Teleri (but that was for Melian); perhaps because of the way he treated Beren (though that was to protect Luthien); or because of the way he lusted after a Silmaril (maybe he didn't totally understand the oath of Feanor?).

I hate to start a character analysis thread... but now I'm curious. I almost feel guilty for hating anyone who's not specifically made out to be dark or evil: after all, I don't hate Feanor, and Kinslaying was probably much worse than anything Thingol ever did. But I just can't like Elwe!

... Anyone?

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:55 AM   #2
sleepless_elf
Newly Deceased

sleepless_elf has just left Hobbiton.
yeah i kind of agree. he was very horrible to beren, knowing that he was practically sending him to his death by giving him the near impossible task of retrieving a silmaril. however, i think the heroics of beren and luthien changed him. especially when beren and luthien came back from the dead. this can be supported by the fact that he adopted turin as a foster son.

are you doing a thesis on sil?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
And given the way he not only succomed so easily not just to
the simaril but to an apparent elvish bigotry and seemingly
tendency to hold dwarves in contempt (perhaps because he
wasn't a Noldo with Aule reverence?) makes him seem somewhat
like he wasn't much more then Melian's boy toy.

As a ruler, he does seem much less likeable than those of
Gondolin or Nargothrond.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
On the contrary, I've always liked Thingol, perhaps more than he deserves. Maybe I like him because he comes across as a bit of a scoundrel in the Silmarillion (not to mention BoLT) which I always felt was a little bit unjust. He was after all a much better ruler for his people than almost any other Elf-lord, keeping Doriath and it's inhabitants free from harm longer than any other Elven King. Sure, you could argue that he was too passive in the war against Morgoth, but he probably figured the whole thing was the Noldor's making in the first place and that there was little he could do except fence himself in (which was true enough). In this he had a lot of help from Melian but that can't be held against him, can it? He can't have been a complete arse either, bagging himself such a bride. In fact, isn't he described as the greatest of all the Children of Illuvatar as some point?

I'm willing to defend him partially in the treatment of Beren too. Look at it from Thingol's perspective. Here comes this ragged but prideful Man, knowing next to nothing about the world and it's secrets; a Man who've walked the earth just a few fleeting, sorrowful moments and is soon to depart again (unlike Luthien who will remain) yet lays claim to his own daughter with haughty words. And what self-importance Beren shows! Thingol makes a cruel joke really when he says he will give his permission the day Beren presents him with a Silmaril from Morgoth's crown. He has no actual intention of sending Beren out on a quest to reclaim the Jewel as he knows it's preposterous to even try. What he's saying is Never happen!. To me it's Beren who is the real fool here dragging those he loves out on a hopeless quest. If you want to die for your lover don't take innocent people with you. Later Luthien says, 'forget about the Silmaril and we'll live together in the Woods', but oh no, Beren rather drags her into the deepest pits of Angband than retracts his stubborn and hasty promise, one which already has been the death of Finrod Felagund and all his companions. What a selfish bastard he is! And Thingol is made out to be the fool. Jeez!

Thingol in the Silmarillion is tricky though because in the earlier conception of the stories, published in BoLT, he really is a scoundrel, whereas in the later writings, fex what became CoH, he is presented as a very wise and benevolent ruler. This latter more favourable conception of Thingol must have been preferred by Tolkien, but many of the stories concerning him were never rewritten, and still features a rather pathetic Elf-lord. Thingol must therefore have been a big problem for CT when compiling the unified Silmarillion. There are others here that no doubt know much more than I about this though.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
I believe the point of the story would be, his noble beginnings, his admirable life, his temptation to always preserve (Tolkien called it embalming) that which he loved, denying it permission to change or grow; hence his denial that Luthien would be permitted to leave him (would he have let her marry anyone at all?) and in the end, with his continuing stubbornness, even disregarding the advice of his wife the Maia, leading ultimately to his final fall from grace, and so to his death.

"Lo, how the mighty have fallen."
Old 11-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thingol suffers from the same overweaning pride that affected many 1st Age Elves (take your pick, Feanor, Celegorm, Caranthir, Turgon, Eol, et al.). These were not sweet Legolas Mary-Sue Elves, but Eldar or First Born who had been slicing up Orcs (and sometimes other Elves) for a few centuries. They were haughty because they were indeed superior and they knew it

Take Thingol, for instance. He is born in Cuivienen before the sun or moon are even in orbit, he is chosen to be spokesman of his clan, he travels to Valinor, returns to become king of the Sindar in the great realm of Doriath, marries Melian the Maia, and his child is the most beautiful creature in all creation. Think about it, how do you even dare speak to someone like that if you are a mere mortal? I am not saying ol' Thingol didn't need a major attitude adjustment, but you have to take his actions into context.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #7
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye In which I am surprised this thread didn't fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless_elf View Post
are you doing a thesis on sil?
Yes. Specifically, the idea of mythology versus legend versus history in the Silm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
To me it's Beren who is the real fool here dragging those he loves out on a hopeless quest. If you want to die for your lover don't take innocent people with you. Later Luthien says, 'forget about the Silmaril and we'll live together in the Woods', but oh no, Beren rather drags her into the deepest pits of Angband than retract his stubborn and hasty promise, one which already has been the death of Finrod Felagund and all his companions. What a selfish bastard he is! And Thingol is made out to be the fool. Jeez!
Can't really disagree with that, I guess. It does seem pretty much like the most hopeless mission ever given to anyone, and Beren had to have known it. At the same time, though... Thingol himself was practically ensnared by Melian, back during the Great Journey, and could we expect her daughter to be any less entrancing? (Meh. That wasn't said very well.)

I honestly can't remember the first point at which Thingol learns about the Oath of Feanor and the Kinslaying. Because if he knew about that oath, why on earth would he have had Beren go after the Silmaril? The Silm specifically states that when he pronounced Beren's mission, Thingol "wrought the doom of Doriath, and was ensnared in the curse of Mandos." And his possession of the Silmaril, later on (which killed him), when he certainly knows about the oath, just seems petty and greedy, to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Take Thingol, for instance. He is born in Cuivienen before the sun or moon are even in orbit, he is chosen to be spokesman of his clan, he travels to Valinor, returns to become king of the Sindar in the great realm of Doriath, marries Melian the Maia, and his child is the most beautiful creature in all creation. Think about it, how do you even dare speak to someone like that if you are a mere mortal? I am not saying ol' Thingol didn't need a major attitude adjustment, but you have to take his actions into context.
This is very true. Even Elrond, who comes across as quite stern in LotR, isn't insulted when Bilbo writes the poem about Earendil in Rivendell. It really is quite cheeky, when you think about it... but Elrond is clearly a lot more patient than Thingol would have been!

My only argument: in my mind, Thingol is just as far below Melian as Beren is below Luthien. Beren is described as the greatest Man who ever walked in Middlearth, and Thingol as the greatest Elf, save perhaps Feanor: that description is somewhere, skip spence, I know what you're referring to but can't find it.
Yet while he scorns Beren's love for his daughter, many eons before, Thingol thought nothing of abandoning the entire host of the Teleri to romp in Doriath with Melian. (Okay, so that's a bit vulgar: they actually just stood there for a very long time with the stars wheeling overhead, then settled in Doriath.) He quite literally left the Teleri to his brother, and many of them missed the ships going to Valinor as they continued to search for him! That, to me, is one of his most inexcusable actions, regardless of whether or not it was the will of the Valar for them to wed and protect Doriath. Mmphm.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanamir of Gondor View Post
Yet while he scorns Beren's love for his daughter, many eons before, Thingol thought nothing of abandoning the entire host of the Teleri to romp in Doriath with Melian. (Okay, so that's a bit vulgar: they actually just stood there for a very long time with the stars wheeling overhead, then settled in Doriath.) He quite literally left the Teleri to his brother, and many of them missed the ships going to Valinor as they continued to search for him! That, to me, is one of his most inexcusable actions, regardless of whether or not it was the will of the Valar for them to wed and protect Doriath. Mmphm.
But that is Fate or whatever you might call it, is it not? I think that in Arda, everybody bows down to Fate. Even Morgy. Even Melian when Beren came in the picture.

I don't think it was the will of the Valar that Melian left to wed Thingol. She left the Gardens of Lorien without any adios:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLT, The Tale of Tinuviel
Indeed she was a sprite that, escaping from Lorien's gardens before even Kor was built, wandered in the wild places of the world in every lonely wood.
Whatever could a poor Elf do to resist the charms of such a sprite, even if he did see the Light of the Trees prior to meeting her? All other loyalties forgotten for a great love, this is a recurrent theme in JRRT. Thingol and Melian. Beren and Luthien. Beren and Felagund. And arguably, Aldarion and the Sea. The list goes on.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #9
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Lindale:
Quote:
Whatever could a poor Elf do to resist the charms of such a sprite, even if he did see the Light of the Trees prior to meeting her? All other loyalties forgotten for a great love, this is a recurrent theme in JRRT. Thingol and Melian. Beren and Luthien. Beren and Felagund. And arguably, Aldarion and the Sea. The list goes on.
I too can't really criticize Thingol for his abandonment of the Teleri. Doesn't it specifically describe him in The Silmarillion as being "enchanted" by Melian? I don't think he had any will left in the matter. If not for her, Thingol would almost surely have returned to the West, leading his people. I would argue against Aldarion's inclusion in your examples, though.

skip spence:
Quote:
I'm willing to defend him partially in the treatment of Beren too. Look at it from Thingol's perspective. Here comes this ragged but prideful Man, knowing next to nothing about the world and it's secrets; a Man who've walked the earth just a few fleeting, sorrowful moments and is soon to depart again (unlike Luthien who will remain) yet lays claim to his own daughter with haughty words.
I would have thought Thingol might have some special understanding of being under the spell of a love that could not be denied. As Morthoron mentioned, it seems pride was the real reason for his treatment of Beren, "baseborn mortal" and such.

skip spence:
Quote:
Later Luthien says, 'forget about the Silmaril and we'll live together in the Woods', but oh no, Beren rather drags her into the deepest pits of Angband than retracts his stubborn and hasty promise, one which already has been the death of Finrod Felagund and all his companions. What a selfish bastard he is! And Thingol is made out to be the fool. Jeez!
I know this isn't really Beren we're discussing here, but he went to such lengths to fulfill Thingol's conditions because: 1. Obeying the wishes of the potential bride's father in such matters was apparently the way things were done in that time, and 2. Beren did not desire her to live such a rustic and rude existence, wishing her to have the station that befitted her. Aragorn, much later, fulfilled his own bride's father's prerequisites for marriage for, I think, the same reasons.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence
(...) This latter more favourable conception of Thingol must have been preferred by Tolkien, but many of the stories concerning him were never rewritten, and still features a rather pathetic Elf-lord. Thingol must therefore have been a big problem for CT when compiling the unified Silmarillion.
The constructed Silmarillion in this case is basically taken from the versions of the late 1930s mixed with points from the Grey Annals. In the early 1950s the Grey Annals provide two compressed versions of the meeting between Beren and Thingol. Tolkien also began a long prose version of the tale, but (alas) the story goes no further than the betrayal by Dairon to Thingol of Beren's presence in Doriath. In the Annals anyway, it is noted:

A) None save Finrod (still named Inglor here) took counsel with Thingol in the matter of the coming of Men and their dealings with the Noldor. This displeased Thingol.

B) Thingol was also troubled with dreams concerning the coming of Men, before even the first tidings of them were heard, arguably setting up his reaction to one of them entering Doriath and desiring his very daughter!

C) Elwe proclaimed that into Doriath therefore, no Man should come, commanding that Men should take no lands but in Hithlum and Dorthonion.

D) At the request of Finrod, Elwe yet granted land in Brethil to Haleth's people.

In the Grey Annals Elwe is still (as in QS) wroth at discovering the news about Beren. Beren had broken his command and also had intentions with his own daughter (as we know). Beren shows him the Ring of Finrod, but Thingol speaks in anger still. Beren, stung by this scorn, swears that no power shall keep him from his love.

This, and I think understandably (however noble a cause from Beren's perspective), makes Thingol all the more angry, and: 'But, as Doom would, a thought came into his heart, and he answered in mockery' -- and thus his response to Beren and the Quest of the Silmaril.

With respect to The Ruin of Doriath, Christopher Tolkien notes: 'How he (JRRT) would have treated Thingol's behaviour towards the Dwarves is impossible to say'. adding that the conduct of Tinwelint was wholly at variance with the later conception of the King. Though CJRT does note a later text (Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn in Unfinished Tales) wherein it is said that Celeborn, in his view of the destruction of Doriath, ignored Morgoth's part in it 'and Thingol's own faults'.

Thingol later softens toward Beren (again, as we know), and of course ultimately Greycloak set young Túrin on his knee, a sign that he was to be fostered (and those that saw this marveled): '... and in all your life you shall be held as my son, Man though you be.'
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
This, and I think understandably (however noble a cause from Beren's perspective), makes Thingol all the more angry, and: 'But, as Doom would, a thought came into his heart, and he answered in mockery' -- and thus his response to Beren and the Quest of the Silmaril.
Mmm, yes. "Doom" here having the meaning of "fate," which was used to describe Feanor earlier. Gorram @#%$% fate!

After rereading the chapter "Of Thingol and Melian," I know I have to agree about enchantment, Inziladun... perhaps I should be laying the abandonment of the Teleri on the shoulders of the Valar, or perhaps even Melian herself. If Thingol were genuinely enchanted by Melian (which it appears that he was), then we can either assume (a) she deliberately enchanted him, or (b) she herself was also part of the enchantment, and it was the Valar or Iluvatar guiding the enchantment. So either way, it wasn't his fault that he forgot utterly his people.

It just grinds at me that of course it has to happen right in the midst of the Great Journey, when his people most need him! Given, he establishes the kingdom of Menegroth, and with the Girdle of Melian protecting Doriath, many of the Teleri are protected from Morgoth for a long time. But those first crucial years, when the Elves' faith in the Valar is just being built up, their great leader leaves them, splitting their host practically in two and keeping many of them from ever seeing the light of the trees.

And you're right, Lindale (you've got to be) about fate controlling a lot of what happens in Middlearth. But here's my thing about fate/doom: why does it make anyone less responsible for their actions? When a "high doom" goes before Turin, does it make him less culpable for his slaying of Brandir? I just don't know. I should shut up and let more informed/intelligent people talk.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #12
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Actually Thingol wasn't that great a king with keeping his people safe, skip spence. It was all Melian's doing with her enchanted girdle that kept Doraith from destruction.

Quote:
To me it's Beren who is the real fool here dragging those he loves out on a hopeless quest. If you want to die for your lover don't take innocent people with you. Later Luthien says, 'forget about the Silmaril and we'll live together in the Woods', but oh no, Beren rather drags her into the deepest pits of Angband than retracts his stubborn and hasty promise, one which already has been the death of Finrod Felagund and all his companions. What a selfish bastard he is! And Thingol is made out to be the fool. Jeez!
You forget that it was Luthien that wanted to come with him. He didn't drag her anywhere, Beren was the one who begged her to go back at first but concented when he saw how strong her love was for him. And in Beren's defence, how would it look if Beren had run off with Luthien? He would have been considered a coward and a scoundrel for running of with the King of Doraith's daughter and would have no doubt been hunted to the ends of the earth by Thingol.

Beren made the right choice when it came to Thingol haughty and arrogant proposal. If Thingol was really smart when it came to Beren and Luthien he would have just sayed no.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:33 AM   #13
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
In further defence of Greycloak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin
If Thingol was really smart when it came to Beren and Luthien he would have just sayed no.
Do you really think Beren and Luthien would've taken no for an answer? In any case, no was what he said too. He did not make a serious suggestion that in order to win his bride Beren would have to fetch him the Silmaril he lusted after. He might as well have said, 'go fetch me the moon and you can marry Luthien', for "not all the power of the Noldor, before the siege was broken, had availed even to see from afar the shining jewels of Fëanor. For they were set in the Iron Crown, and treasured in Angband above all wealth; and Balrogs were about them, and countless swords, and strong bars, and unassailable walls, and the dark majesty of Morgoth"

It was, in other words, a task impossible beyond hope.

Now I´m not saying Thingol acted in an exemplary way but, as Galin pointed out, he was quite understandably wroth because of Beren´s prideful words and his, to Thingol, shocking intentions with Luthien, his beloved daughter. Beren the Man was not even allowed to enter the Hidden Kingdom, possibly because Thingol deemed it unwise for the two peoples to mix (which turned out to be true), and for one with such short lifespan and scant wisdom to marry his daughter was out of the question.

Quote:
You forget that it was Luthien that wanted to come with him. He didn't drag her anywhere, Beren was the one who begged her to go back at first but concented when he saw how strong her love was for him. And in Beren's defence, how would it look if Beren had run off with Luthien? He would have been considered a coward and a scoundrel for running of with the King of Doraith's daughter and would have no doubt been hunted to the ends of the earth by Thingol.
But once Beren realised that Luthien was coming along with him no matter what, don't you think it was a tad irresponsible taking her to the very court of Morgoth, from where she was not likely to ever return; and the Dark Lord apparently had intentions with her that went beyond slaying or imprisoning her. Would it not have been wiser, and less selfish and stubborn, to forsake the quest altogether and live with Luthien in the woods as she suggested, or simply accept Thingol's no? Perhaps he would soften in time (after all, which father can resist a pouting daughter, determined to have her way).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin
Actually Thingol wasn't that great a king with keeping his people safe, skip spence. It was all Melian's doing with her enchanted girdle that kept Doraith from destruction.
Like I said, Melian's aid can't really be held against him. Does a leader have to do everything himself to be considered great? He also had capable wardens such as Beleg and Mablung, doing a lot to keep Doriath safe. Did that make Thingol less great?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanamir of Gondor
My only argument: in my mind, Thingol is just as far below Melian as Beren is below Luthien. Beren is described as the greatest Man who ever walked in Middlearth, and Thingol as the greatest Elf, save perhaps Feanor
I do not fail to see the irony here. Yet there are differences too. Thingol did not go to Manwe's throne on Taniquetil to proclaim that no power in the world could keep him from the treasure he desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanamir of Gondor
I honestly can't remember the first point at which Thingol learns about the Oath of Feanor and the Kinslaying. Because if he knew about that oath, why on earth would he have had Beren go after the Silmaril? The Silm specifically states that when he pronounced Beren's mission, Thingol "wrought the doom of Doriath, and was ensnared in the curse of Mandos." And his possession of the Silmaril, later on (which killed him), when he certainly knows about the oath, just seems petty and greedy, to me.
I can't remember just when he learned the full truth about the oath, but as I explained above, that's irrelevant really. Thingol had no way of knowing, save by Melian's foresight possibly, that the Oath could have anything to do with his dismissal of Beren. He had no intention of selling his daughter for a Silmaril, as there was no fear or hope that Beren could ever obtain one in his mind. If he got killed trying seemed to have mattered little to him though.

As for his later refusal to give up the Silmaril to the Fëanorians, I agree that he probably should have done so. Yet, the Silmaril had this power over the owner, and if Thingol is to be blamed for this, so should Luthien, Beren, Dior and even Eönwe Herald of Manwe, who also possessed the Silmaril (or two) and yet refused to hand them over to the sons of Fëanor. Can't you understand old Greycloak's reluctance to hand over the Jewel that Luthien and Beren (whom he now loved) won to the cost of so much suffering, hand it over to the haughty and uncompromising murderers of his kin? I certainly can.

And yes, the possession of the Silmaril led to his death, but don't forget, he was murdered in cold blood by the Dwarves which he certainly did not deserve although this part of the story is shady since JRRT never rewrote it to come in accordance to the later legendarium, as Galin explained in his very informative post. CT had to fill out the blanks himself.

Last edited by skip spence; 11-06-2008 at 08:45 AM.
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #14
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'll focus mainly on the judgement he makes with Beren and Luthien since besides that (and the matter with the Dwarves) I think he was a good king, though not the best.

Quote:
But once Beren realised that Luthien was coming along with him no matter what, don't you think it was a tad irresponsible taking her to the very court of Morgoth, from where she was not likely to ever return; and the Dark Lord apparently had intentions with her that went beyond slaying or imprisoning her. Would it not have been wiser, and less selfish and stubborn, to forsake the quest altogether and live with Luthien in the woods as she suggested, or simply accept Thingol's no? Perhaps he would soften in time (after all, which father can resist a pouting daughter, determined to have her way).
No, I don't think it was irrisponsible at all, I think it would have been foolish to try anything but his best to try and get it. As for forsaking the quest, Beren gave his word that he would get it, this sadly has lost its meaning in todays world, but a man's word is his bond. How could we view Beren as the great heroe he is if he turned tale and ran away with a king's daughter if it was the "smart thing to do?"

Quote:
Like I said, Melian's aid can't really be held against him. Does a leader have to do everything himself to be considered great? He also had capable wardens such as Beleg and Mablung, doing a lot to keep Doriath safe. Did that make Thingol less great?
I do not think that it makes his leadership any less, but I do think that it makes him less great if he solely relies upon the power of others to protect his kingdom. What great deads has Thingol ever done on the battlefield to earn the rank as a great king (and I truly am asking that as a question not as a retoricle question)? If a king does not fight, especially in those days, for his people what right does he have to lead them?
Old 11-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #15
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Quote:
I do not fail to see the irony here. Yet there are differences too. Thingol did not go to Manwe's throne on Taniquetil to proclaim that no power in the world could keep him from the treasure he desired.
Haha. Point taken. Though I would quibble that Thingol would have declared it before Yavanna. I'm totally fascinated with Melian and Thingol's inequality on the terms of gender role-reversal:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I do not think that it makes his leadership any less, but I do think that it makes him less great if he solely relies upon the power of others to protect his kingdom. What great deeds has Thingol ever done on the battlefield to earn the rank as a great king (and I truly am asking that as a question not as a rhetorical question)? If a king does not fight, especially in those days, for his people what right does he have to lead them?
I would personally never argue that Thingol was a poor king because he didn't physically fight for his people: but I agree that Tolkien places emphasis on heroism based on battle. Finrod, who died defending Beren from Sauron, was described as the "fairest and most beloved of the children of Finwe," because he went out of his way to aid a near-hopeless quest. Fingolfin, who fought Morgoth in single combat, was the "most proud and valiant of the Elven-kings of old," and not just the Noldor.

The point about Thingol is that he's not heroic, not by any standard. He was wise, proud, protective of his people, ostensibly well-intentioned, and thoughtful, but not heroic. His death, unlike that of most of the Elven-kings, makes no mention of his greatness: only that he was the last living Elf in Middlearth to have seen the light of the Trees. I hate to marginalize Thingol as a symbol, but... he does a much better job representing the dying ideals of the perfect Middlearth than a progressive movement towards unity between the races of Elves, Men, and Dwarves.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #16
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The later version of the death of Thingol was never written though, and it was, it appears, possibly to be in a battle → the bare bones (noted by JRRT) seem to be that Thingol was to be lured outside, or induced to go to war beyond his borders, and slain in some manner by Dwarves.

In the very early long prose tale Tinwelint was ambushed while hunting (while resting during a hunt), and Mablung and the King fell side by side after a long bitter fight. Naugladur swept off the king's head after he was dead, for it was said he would not dare to go near Tinwelint's sword nor Mablung's axe (an earlier version states that the King was borne down by numbers and then slain by Naugladur). A direction for a seemingly new detail was that the Nauglafring caught in bushes and held the King.

Anyway (alas again) there's no later long prose version of Thingol's death, and even Quenta Silmarillion and the Annals are lacking here with respect to updated material.

Last edited by Galin; 11-07-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #17
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Heh. And, besides Galin's new example, um... as I was looking back at "Of the Sindar" I found the short section where Thingol amasses an army and leaves Doriath to come to the aid of Denethor and the Elves of Ossiriand. The text specifically says "Bitterly his fall was avenged, when Thingol came upon the rear of the Orcs and slew them in heaps...." Then, after realizing that Denethor was dead and that there was no more help for the Green-elves, Thingol withdrew his forces to Menegroth and had Melian put out her Girdle to protect Doriath.

Read it whatever way you want (Thingol himself slew heaps of Orcs, or his men did), the suggestion is obvious: Thingol once tried the warlike way, but was too much of a pragmatist to continue it.

Going to prove only one thing: I need to read more closely before I post. Kthxbai.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:55 AM   #18
Eol Galvorn
Newly Deceased

Eol Galvorn has just left Hobbiton.
I believe, at least in the Silm, that Thingol represents somewhat of an opposition to the thinking of the kings of the Noldor. In war the Sindar were considerably less skilled than the Noldor, which can be seen by the state that Beleraind is in when the Noldor first arrive. He knows his forces are no match for the armies of Angband in open war, thus he takes a more conservative approach. It is his prerogative to preserve what he already has, rather than conquest for more (at least until it comes to the Silmaril itself, which I don't think he ever seriously intended to lay hands on.)
Those elf kings most honored of the first age followed his precedent by creating their own Hidden Kingdoms, Gondolin and Nargothrond, the later of which is directly inspired by Menengroth. It's as if Turgon and Felagund thought Thingol (as apposed to the sons of Feanor, or Fingolfin) was the wisest of kings, at least so far as defending their people against the coming onslaught of the north.
Is the greatness of a king judged wholly by his prowess on the battlefield or the conquest over the enemies of his people, or is his greatness found in his love and defense of his people against strife, and preservation of their culture in the face of invasion (by both the forces of Angband and the Noldor, but also the migration of men?)
Eol Galvorn is offline   Reply With Quote