The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
Nazgûl-king
Wight

Nazgûl-king has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Reversed places

What do you think would have happened had Faramir went to the Council of Elrond rather then Boromir? Is there anything you think Faramir could have contributed to the Fellowship that Boromir did not? Do you think Faramir would have survived and returned to Gondor, or continued on with Frodo if he could? In short the question is what do you think would have happened had Faramir been in the Fellowship?

P.S. Sorry if there is already a topic on this.

Last edited by Nazgûl-king; 12-16-2007 at 04:54 PM.
Nazgûl-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am sure that Faramir would have been a fine addition to the fellowship but without the sundering of the fellowship, catalysed by Boromir's attempt to take the ring, the quest surely would have failed. It was a betrayal vital to the plot.

If Merry and Pippin had not roused the Ents and if Aragorn and Gandalf had not gone to Rohan, Saruman would have prevented Rohan from being able to help Gondor, Aragorn would not have been able to distract Sauron's attention with the Palantir or been in the right place to call on the Army of the Dead. Frodo would not have made it to Mount Doom without these interventions. Most crucially of all perhaps, the story would have been very different if Frodo had met Boromir in the woods of Ithilien.

However the fact that the dream came often to Faramir and only once to Boromir suggest fate prefered the younger brother.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:33 PM   #3
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Leaf

Yes, Faramir wold have definitly let Frodo keep the ring. As Denethor says, he listens to Gandalf and is a "wizard's pupil" (which is probably good, because the wizards were Istari, divine Maiar), so he would have listened to Gandalf and done what he did in Ithilien. But as Mithalwen said, without this betrayal the whole story would fall to pieces. None of the important events would happen, and Frodo might not even get to Mount Doom. Also,people would forget the susceptibility of the ring, which could be a deadly mistake.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
Nazgûl-king
Wight

If Frodo had met Boromir in the woods of Ithilien, do you think Boromir would have tried to drag Frodo off to Gondor like Faramir in the movies? Also how do you think Boromir would have handled Gollum?
Old 12-14-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
But, Mithalwen, the Orcs would have attacked at Parth Galen whether the betrayal took place or not.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgûl-king View Post
What do you think would have happened had Faramir went to the Council of Elrond rather then Boromir?
He would have died, along with the other members of the Fellowship. If not for Boromir's strength and determination on Caradhras (helped by Aragorn) the Fellowship would have died on the mountain. Well, maybe not Legolas, who could simply walk on the snow. I find it doubtful, however, that Legolas would have been able to save all eight other members in doing this, regardless of his elven strength. If this was the case, he would have done so instead of letting Boromir and Aragorn tread paths with their bodies while he ran off in joy to "find the sun".

Also, as others have pointed out, if Boromir had not tried to take the Ring, the events that proceeded would never have been put into motion.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
Nazgûl-king
Wight

David Welham who plays Faramir in the films, said in an interview found on the Return of the King video game:

Quote:
But Faramir and Boromir were brothers, and it is not beyond reason that Faramir could have gone to Rivendell instead. If that happened Faramir could have survived and returned to Gondor.
I’m not sure if that is an exact quote as I haven’t watched the interview recently, but it seems to imply that David thought his character would have survived.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hickli View Post
But, Mithalwen, the Orcs would have attacked at Parth Galen whether the betrayal took place or not.
But it was Boromir's attempt on the Ring that catalysed Frodo vitally going alone and at that moment. Clearly he already knew his path was for Mordor but if Boromir had let him be would he have slipped off like that? I don't think so though I haven't read those chapters recently.

The orcs would stil have attacked but the consequences could have been truly catastrophic - I doubt all the fellowship together could have defeated them, all might easily have been killed or captured.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
Nazgûl-king
Wight

Had Faramir gone to the Council do you think he would have been nominated for Ring-bearer? I don’t think he would have been set on taking the Ring to Gondor like Boromir was, I think Faramir would have been more likely to go along with Elrond and Gandalf that the Ring should be destroyed, but if he was nominated do you think he would have excepted the burden.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgûl-king View Post
Had Faramir gone to the Council do you think he would have been nominated for Ring-bearer? I don’t think he would have been set on taking the Ring to Gondor like Boromir was, I think Faramir would have been more likely to go along with Elrond and Gandalf that the Ring should be destroyed, but if he was nominated do you think he would have excepted the burden.
Faramir said that he would not use the Ring even if Minas Tirith were burning and he alone could save her. He also said that if it lay on the highway, he still would not take it. So, no.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #11
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I think the vital problem with the Faramir-in-the-Fellowship argument is that it seems to stem from the films, in particular a flashback scene in TTT:EE. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the only place I'd ever find inspiration for such a scheme:
Boromir: My place is here with my people, not in Rivendell!
Faramir: If there is need to go to Rivendell, send me in his stead.
Denethor: Oh, yes. A chance for Faramir, captain of Gondor, to show his quality. I think not. I will send your brother--the one who will not fail me.

Much as I love Jackson's addition in TTT, I consider it to be utter silliness, founded as much upon sentimentalism as the fact that Jackson wanted Faramir to be younger, more sensitive, and more prone to emotional action than in the book. (I always refer people back to this article on Faramir for an amazing comparison.) The crucial question we're not asking is why Book!Faramir would ever have been sent to Rivendell in the first place. Boromir was the elder son, the favorite of his father, and when Gondor was summoned to the council, Boromir would have been Denethor's first choice, hands down.

Also, in terms of the film, I consider Faramir to have stood up to a LOT more temptation that Boromir: "Here I have a host of men at my call, and the Ring of Power within my grasp. A chance for Faramir, captain of Gondor, to show his quality." He realizes that his brother has totally failed in his mission to bring Denethor "a mighty gift", and feels a responsibility to do so. And yet he doesn't take the Ring, knowing that he must resist both his father's wrath, and the temptation of the Ring. If Movie!Faramir had indeed been in the Fellowship (which would mean that he had been granted trust by his father, and therefore would have been much more self-confident even than Boromir), I get this feeling that he would have taken on an Aragorn-like role: he would have fully recognized his temptation by the Ring, and in the same breath rejected it.

Let me conclude my lengthy and somewhat tangential rant by agreeing with what's been said: it'd be fun to argue whether or not the Fellowship would have survived if Faramir had replaced Boromir, but as Mithalwen says, Boromir's betrayal of Frodo does, ultimately, serve simply as an irreplaceable plot device. You might as well as what would have happened if Sam hadn't agreed to go with Frodo!

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #12
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

Oooh, I like this thread.

I think that without Boromir's betrayal, there might not have been that particular catalyst to push Frodo into leaving.

However, Frodo was already struggling with the decision. No doubt he was prompted by Boromir's increasing greed for the Ring, but I believe that to some degree, his mind was already made up. He knew that the break was going to happen, and he may have even been contemplating leaving alone (otherwise, why would he ask for the time to himself to think things over?). Sam knew it, too, even if none of the others did.

Sam even says it right out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam, The Breaking of the Fellowship
Mr. Frodo, he knows he's got to find the Cracks of Doom, if he can. But he's afraid
[...]
he's still too frightened to start. And he isn't worrying about us either: whether we'll go along with him or no. He knows we mean to. That's another thing that's bothering him. If he screws himself up to go, he'll want to go alone. Mark my words! We're going to have trouble when he gets back. For he'll screw himself up, all right, sure as his name's Baggins.
...and people say Sam isn't smart.

Frodo may have been torn, but he knew what he had to do. He's a tough little hobbit, and he'd "screw himself up" eventually. That decision is independent of whatever was going on with Boromir. There was clearly a growing mistrust between Boromir and Frodo, Sam, and Aragorn...but I don't think that the decision would have been any different if the purer Faramir had been involved. Frodo has to go to Mordor. No other option makes sense. He knows it. Sam knows it. Frodo also, I think, grasps the importance of not bringing a lot of the Fellowship in with him. For one thing, Mordor is a pretty tall order, and he wouldn't wish that doom on anyone else. For another, I think he also has come to understand the importance of secrecy, and therefore a small group.

Boromir just tipped the scale, pushed him into the decision he already knew he had no choice but to make.

The battle would still have happened, and Frodo and hopefully Sam would probably have still slipped away in the confusion to head off to Mordor.

Merry and Pippin probably wouldn't have been captured, since there would have been no smaller search parties...which leads to a decreased likelihood of the Ents storming Isengard, and possibly a far grimmer Helm's Deep without Huorns to help. Not quite sure what the broader effect of this might be on the Shire, but it's not looking too good from here...Saruman already had dealings with the Shire, but can you imagine a fully-powerful Saruman messing around with the Shire? Not a nice picture.

Frodo and Sam might not have even made it to Mordor, particularly with Boromir in Faramir's place in Ithilien--Boromir has a lot of pride, and he lacks his brother's integrity on the subject of the Ring. He would probably claim the Ring for Gondor, and, unlike Movie!Faramir, he wouldn't realize his mistake until it was too late. At the very very least, this would greatly complicate Aragorn's journey, and would likely set the end of the world in motion.

It would probably have had an impact on the madness of Denethor, but that's pretty tangled. Boromir might not have been poisoned. He's probably stronger in battle than Faramir, and he also probably would have been too valuable for a suicide mission. I'm not so sure as the Palantir wouldn't have pushed Denethor over the edge anyway, so his death is probably a moot point.

On a more of a side note, Eowyn might not have made it through the aftermath of Pelennor Fields without Faramir's care and love.

--

Benamir, what you say is very true... I agree with you that there is no chance at all that Faramir would have been sent to Rivendell, just based upon the cultural norms, and also on Denethor as a character. However, it's fun to think about anyway, and I do think it is notable that Fate or some higher power chose Faramir for the job. He was given the vision, not Boromir.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:38 PM   #13
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Duly noted. I completely forgot about the dream!

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #14
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanamir of Gondor View Post
I think the vital problem with the Faramir-in-the-Fellowship argument is that it seems to stem from the films, in particular a flashback scene in TTT:EE.
What a horrid and unneccessary scene. The "Faramir in Fellowship" argument actually does not stem from the films, and is in the book-

“Therefore my brother, seeing how desperate was our need, was eager to heed the dream and seek for Imladris; but since the way was full of doubt and danger, I took the journey upon myself. Loth was my father to give me leave, and long have I wandered by roads forgotten, seeking the house of Elrond, of which many had heard, but few knew where it lay.” (The Fellowship of the Ring, The Council of Elrond)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanamir
The crucial question we're not asking is why Book!Faramir would ever have been sent to Rivendell in the first place. Boromir was the elder son, the favorite of his father, and when Gondor was summoned to the council, Boromir would have been Denethor's first choice, hands down.
The Council of Elrond was not "summoned", if I am correct. Boromir travelled to Imladris to seek the meaning of a riddle, Legolas was there to inform Rivendell of Gollum's escape, etc. It was fate that brought the companions together in Council to address the urgency of such a problem as The One Ring. So Gondor wasn't summoned, and Boromir's words I cited from the Council say it all. It was against Denethor's wish that Boromir went to Rivendell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanamir
If Movie!Faramir had indeed been in the Fellowship (which would mean that he had been granted trust by his father, and therefore would have been much more self-confident even than Boromir), I get this feeling that he would have taken on an Aragorn-like role: he would have fully recognized his temptation by the Ring, and in the same breath rejected it.
I don't think Faramir would have been self-confident. Not more than Boromir. I also think that you might be right with the Aragorn like role if you were talking about Book Faramir. But Movie Faramir? I can't see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaelia
Benamir, what you say is very true... I agree with you that there is no chance at all that Faramir would have been sent to Rivendell, just based upon the cultural norms, and also on Denethor as a character. However, it's fun to think about anyway, and I do think it is notable that Fate or some higher power chose Faramir for the job. He was given the vision, not Boromir.
It is apparent that there was actually a good chance that Faramir would have been sent to Rivendell. If Boromir did not want to take the journey in Faramir's stead, he would have stayed in Gondor. Boromir wanted to go to Rivendell out of protection for his brother.

Also it is untrue that Boromir was not given the vision. The dream came once to him-

“In that dream I thought the eastern sky grew dark and there was a growing thunder, but in the West a pale light lingered, and out of it I heard a voice, remote but clear, crying...” (The Council of Elrond)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaelia
He's probably stronger in battle than Faramir
Probably? Oh no, he WAS much stronger than Faramir. As Faramir explains in The Two Towers-

“Alas that ever he went on that errand! I should have been chosen by my father and the elders, but he put himself forward, as being the older and the hardier (both true), and he would not be stayed.”

As I have said before, if Faramir went in Boromir's stead, the mission would have failed. The Company wouldn't have even made it out of Caradhras if not for Boromir and his strength, as well as his suggestion of taking wood on the mountain for fire.