The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
jennyebrooke

New and need help >.<

Hi my name is Jennye and I came across these forums while trying to find some elvish script. I'm planning on getting a tattoo in elvish of some of the lyrics from the song Aníron but I can't find the song actually written in elvish.

The specific parts I want are:
O môr henion i dhû:
Ely siriar, êl síla.
Él eria e môr.
I 'lîr en êl luitha 'úren.
Aníron...

I'm not confident enough to translate these on my own and I don't particularly trust fonts seeing as how they don't always combine letters as they should. I was hoping someone here could help me get these into an actual script. I believe Sindarin is the original language of the song so that's what I'd like to have over anything else... of course I may end up settling for Quenya or something else. I'm hoping to get something really pretty and flowy since the song is a love ballad.

If anyone could help me get these lyrics written out or could direct me towards someone who could I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much in advance! ^.^
Old 02-07-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

If you'd like to do the translating on your own, there's a really great book by Ruth S. Noel called "The Languages of Tolkien's Middlearth". It's got all the stuff that's in the appendices of RotK on Tengwar script, but a kind of bitty guide to writing Elvish script and scripting Sindarin and Quenya into Tengwar, which is a wholly phonetic script. (Noel's book also happens to have a full glossary of any and all non-English terms Tolkien used in his novels.) I've tried translating and scripting stuff multiple times with Noel's help, and though it's a little tricky at first, once you get the hang of how the vowels and sounds work, it's really fun. You can probably find the book in multiple places on the internet for purchase, and a lot of college libraries (believe it or not) carry it.

The website YaTT (Yet Another Tengwar Tool) has a downloadable tool to transcribe text from words into Tengwar script. I've never tried it, but I guess it's worth a shot. The folks there also have downloadable Tengwar fonts, though you said you were wary of that.

I would check the website The Council of Elrond: they've got a pretty good list of sources you can try on the next. (I personally recommend Noel's book, because even if you're not entirely sure if you've got the script perfect, then at least it's done with your own hand!)

Anyone else have better suggestions?
Good luck, jenny! Welcome to the BD.

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #3
jennyebrooke

You know I like the sound of that book... I was thinking of heading to Barnes and Noble today to see if I could find something that might be useful and I think you just gave me something to look for. I've had a lot of fun learning to say the lyrics and it would be pretty neat to know that I translated it myself... I doubt I'll come across too many people who see my tattoo and go "You spelled aniron wrong." lol

Thanks
Old 02-08-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
jennyebrooke

Do you know where I can download YaTT every single link I've found thus far doesn't work. =[