The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2003, 03:41 PM   #1
Lindir
Haunting Spirit

Lindir has just left Hobbiton.
1420! How did Gimli know that?

At Helm's Deep, Aragorn was yelling the word "ladders" in elvish, and then Gimli said "good." How did Gimli know elvish....was it because he was aroung Aragorn and Legolas alot?....or is that just a blooper?
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey!Or he will not slay thee in thy turn.He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.
Lindir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 04:31 PM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002303" TARGET=_blank>Ladders</A><P>Welcome to the Downs, Lindir. Hope that helps. <p>[ October 14, 2003: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]
Old 10-14-2003, 05:03 PM   #3
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I guess it would seem that, by this time, Gimli has a rudimentary knowledge of some elvish words, especially those that could come up while defending a keep in a siege.<P>Really, is it that unfathomable that Aragorn would approach Gimli and give him a few words that are likely to come up while he was giving commands.<P>H.C.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:23 PM   #4
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I have a question while we are on this topic. Why did Aragorn tell the elves to draw their swords in English instead of Elvish?<p>[ October 14, 2003: Message edited by: Silmiel of Imladris ]

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 07:43 PM   #5
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Because PJ figured the audience was getting tired of the subtitles? <P>H.C.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:52 PM   #6
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

There are scenes (Aragorn and Arwen) where one sentence is English and the next is Elvish. Irritating.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:15 PM   #7
Sauron 666
Haunting Spirit

Sauron 666 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have another question, why does Aragorn say fire? It strikes me as being a rather obvious anachronism, especially when we consider in an earlier scene he commands (properly) 'release arrows'<P>just another mistake I guess. Doesn't it strike any of you at the abnormaly high number of errors in the film (there's a website that lists movie errors and LOTR combined have over 200). I knwo mistakes are gonna happen, but this many? It strikes me that perhaps they're rushing things or not spending enough time in the editing process. <P>end of senseless stream of conciousness off topic thinking
Sauron 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 04:51 PM   #8
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>not spending enough time in the editing process. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think that's probably more evidenced by their occasional failure to make sure that the Blackrider's faces were <I>totally</I> blacked out (in the regular FotR version), then by the many mistakes. <P>A footnote: Any time you take on a 3+ hr. movie that is as complex as LotR, you can expect to commit quite a few errors. Whether they could've cut down on that signifacantly or not is anyone's guess...
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:28 PM   #9
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

The number of errors on these sites is more a function of how much people obsess over these films than the actual number of mistakes in them. Check out the top ten at moviemistakes.com.<P>1. Titanic<BR>2. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets<BR>3. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone<BR>4. Gladiator<BR>5. Fellowship<BR>6. The Matrix<BR>7. Star Wars<BR>8. Top Guns<BR>9. Towers<BR>10. Spider-man<P>The vast majority of "mistakes" that I see posted (like the ones mentioned here) are simply not mistakes.<P>H.C.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:56 PM   #10
Bain The Brave

He probably just read the script!
Old 10-17-2003, 10:25 AM   #11
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Really, is it that unfathomable that Aragorn would approach Gimli and give him a few words that are likely to come up while he was giving commands.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That is probably the best answer to the given question.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 05:42 AM   #12
Eggy
Haunting Spirit

Eggy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

its logical if u think about it, Gimly knew that with both an olf and a speaker of elvish with him in the heat of battle he needed to know simple command words like fire,hold,retreat etc. So that there would be no confusion that could lead to his death
Old 11-24-2003, 04:10 PM   #13
Lindir
Haunting Spirit

Lindir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I also thought that since he hung around Legolas,and Aragorn (and they both speak elvish) he could of picked up a little bit of it. Ind when Aragorn tells them to fire,in elvish, that's the same thing Elrond said in the FOTR prologue. "Lietho i Phillin" or something like that.
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey!Or he will not slay thee in thy turn.He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.
Lindir is offline   Reply With Quote