The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2003, 06:11 AM   #1
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting "A good night story, my love? " (What the HECK?)

Ok. Answer me ONE question: what is this??? <P><A HREF="http://www.lordoftherings.net/legend/gallery/images/rotk/image17.jpg" TARGET=_blank>RotK piccy</A><P>I mean, WHAT ARE THEY DOING?? She´s obviously not sick, or dieing or anything.... and I´m almost sure they´re actually in EDORAS!!
Old 06-04-2003, 09:27 AM   #2
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I believe that is the Houses of Healing.

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 10:09 AM   #3
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've heard people say both Edoras and Houses of Healing. I don't know.<P>The thing is, Merry is going to the Black Gates with the rest of the host of the west, which means he's not as greviously injured as in the book. I also suspect that Eowyn will be more with it than in the book because her relationship with Aragorn needs to be resolved before he heads off, freeing her to fall in love with Faramir without it seeming like she's settling for someone else. It is possible, therefore, for this scene to be from the Houses of Healing.<P>H.C.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:48 PM   #4
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hee hee- what's she wearing?
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 01:28 PM   #5
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I don't think it is anything that you should have to worry about. I would think that it is the Houses of Healing, because Eowyn looks a lad pailer than she usually does, and it just looks like that part of the book to me.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:27 PM   #6
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I also think it can only be the houses of healing. Probably when shes just recovered from her illness.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:56 PM   #7
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Yup, that's definitely in the House of Healing. He is probably either telling her how everything went, or maybe telling her that he cannot be with her because he loves Arwen and she did not, in fact, said away. P.J. would not make Aragorn and Eowyn have any more than what they had in T.T.T., which was basically nothing.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:12 PM   #8
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

BOO CHANGES TO ROTK! BOO!<P>Ya, I think that's when she is healing. But I thought the Houses of Healing would be a little less...drab?
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 06:11 PM   #9
Elentarimir
Wight

Elentarimir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elentarimir
Sting

That is most definitely the Houses of Healing! Where else (other than Edoras in TTT) would Aragorn be sitting there with Eowyn?<P>Unless ROTK is more screwed up than I thought...
Old 06-05-2003, 06:48 AM   #10
Mordor_Queen
Haunting Spirit

Mordor_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

i reckon its the houses of healing
Old 06-05-2003, 07:18 AM   #11
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Where else (other than Edoras in TTT) would Aragorn be sitting there with Eowyn? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I think it's the Houses of Healing, but it does seem there are more scenes with Aragorn and the rest in Edoras coming. It seems meetings between characters that occur at Helm's Deep and Dunharrow in the book are all moved to Edoras, so the other possibility is that this is Aragorn telling Eowyn he's about to take the Paths of the Dead, but that still doesn't feel right to me.<P>H.C.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:19 AM   #12
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Isn't she wearing the cloak Faramir gives her that was his mother's? Forgive me if i'm wrong but that was blue as well. This might be it?
Old 06-05-2003, 07:33 AM   #13
Faramir Fan
Haunting Spirit

Faramir Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OMG!!! Do you think with her wearing the cloak that Eowyn could be telling Aragorn that she has fallen in love with Faramir...<P>Maybe they have her fall in love with Faramir before Aragorn leaves, drag out the HOH time a little maybe giving the army time to regroup before leaving for the Black Gate and that Eowyn tells Aragorn, and he is happy for her and wishes her well.<P>Now that would make me happy, to have it come from Eowyn would definately not make it seem that she is "settling" for Faramir. <P>I'm trying not to get my hopes up here...
"A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the brother of Boromir..." J.R.R. Tolkien, Letters No. 66
Faramir Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 01:42 PM   #14
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Or maybe it's after they've come back.<P>Interesting.<P>H.C.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:44 AM   #15
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
White-Hand

Or she could be poting that Aragorn is going on an adventure and she has to make the army's beds. And he might be reassuring her. Or something.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:41 AM   #16
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting

I would have thought The Houses of Healing would have a lighter atmosphere.
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 03:45 PM   #17
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

Whoa! I never noticed that cloak that she's wearing - maybe it <I>is</I> Finduilas's! <P>When I first saw that picture, I assumed it was in Edoras, right before Aragorn takes the Paths of the Dead. Just the style of the room at first glance reminded me of Rohan, but after closer observation, I see that it is debatable. <A HREF="http://img-nex.theonering.net/images/scrapbook/6701.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Here's</A> a high-resolution version of that picture, if anyone can get more out of it.
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 03:58 PM   #18
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

All I can say is COOOOOOOOOL but really what is she wearing?
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 05:16 PM   #19
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Yeah, that looks like Finduilas's cloak she's wearing, though I always imagined it as a darker blue. Most assuredly the Houses of Healing there, I think. Interesting bedpost, don't you think? o.O
Old 06-07-2003, 07:03 PM   #20
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

This pic is still confusing me. Here is the description of Finduilas' cloak from the book.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> ... and over all the Lady Eowyn wore a great blue mantle of the colour of deep summer-night, and it was set with silver stars about the hem and throat. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>For the most part, the props of these films have been extrodinarily like the descriptions from the book when those descriptions existed. This doesn't sound like the same cloak.<P>Moreover, I'm looking at Argorn's cloths and it looks like the shirt he is wearing when he sets out for the Paths of the Dead.<P><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/797/view/6693" TARGET=_blank>pic</A><P>If you look at the above pic, you'll notice he appears to be wearing the same shirt and vest as in the pic with Eowyn.<P>Now compare that to <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/797/view/6682" TARGET=_blank>pic of him</A> clearly after Pelennor Fields. Even with the armour off, it doesn't appear he is wearing the same shirt.<P>So, this pic is either just before the Paths of the Dead at Edoras or after the Paths of the Dead in the Houses of Healing, but then why would Eowyn have the cloak, if indeed it even is the cloak.<P>Sorry, for being so confusing, but to me this picture is far from clear.<P>H.C.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:00 PM   #21
mordor136
Wight

mordor136 has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well all I can say is that sometimes movies mess up cronological orders. So,the picture still remains a mystery to me . however , the picture is still cool to me.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:23 PM   #22
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

My guess would be that it's in Edoras, I just can't see a ram's head in Gondor, but if it were in the Houses of Healing, I'd say he was telling her that the host was going to the Black Gate.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 05:12 AM   #23
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Now that I see the description of the cloak I don't think that's what Eowyn is wearing. It's just an everyday Gondorian robe. <p>[ June 09, 2003: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 06-09-2003, 09:35 AM   #24
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>a great blue mantle of the colour of deep summer-night<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ahh, <I>dark</I> blue... in that case, I don't think that's at the Houses of Healing. At least, I hope not... And I don't know what it is, but something about the design of that room just reminds me of Rohan...
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Old 06-09-2003, 10:01 AM   #25
Faramir Fan
Haunting Spirit

Faramir Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's Edoras...those pillars with the black and red oval shape design are all over the inside of the Golden Hall.
"A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the brother of Boromir..." J.R.R. Tolkien, Letters No. 66
Faramir Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 12:06 PM   #26
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Thanks FaramirFan. That simplifies things.<P>Actually, the scene may not be that wierd at all. While Aragorn, Theoden and company march to Isengard, Eowyn would be taking the people of Edoras back home. After the incident with the Palantir, Aragorn receiving Anduril and perhaps some news of Gondor, Aragorn will be compelled to seek the Paths of the Dead and race ahead. Meanwhile Eowyn is not expecting their return for some time and has simply decided to use the time to catch some much needed Zs.<P>This could simply be Aragorn waking her up and perparing to tell her that he will be walking the Paths.<P>H.C.<p>[ June 09, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 06-09-2003, 03:05 PM   #27
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>This could simply be Aragorn waking her up and perparing to tell her that he will be walking the Paths.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's what I'd originally thought when first looking at the picture, and now I think that's the theory that makes the most sense.

Old 06-09-2003, 03:32 PM   #28
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Even with the armour off, it doesn't appear he is wearing the same shirt. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm just surprised Aragorn changed his clothes at all.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:43 PM   #29
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm just surprised Aragorn changed his clothes at all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I'm just wondering if he'll shave for the wedding. <P>H.C.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:09 PM   #30
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I'm just wondering if he'll shave for the wedding. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>LOL! The day Aragorn shaves is the day Tolkien rises from the dead. <BR>*someone tapes Rose on the sholder. Rose turns around and sees Tolkien*<P>Hey, who knows?
Old 06-09-2003, 07:10 PM   #31
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

LOL. I'm pretty sure it's in Edoras,the houses of healing seemed, well, cheerier.<P>First, one cannot be rightly healed in a dark dreary place such as in the pic, although it does seem to match Eowyn's dispositon in the Houses of Healing. <P>As for the cloak, HC is correct, it's too light.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:21 PM   #32
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm just wondering if he'll shave for the wedding. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Actually, that's another piece of evidence to suggest that this is at Edoras. From the pictures that I have seen, Aragorn does spruce himself up for his returning king act.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:38 PM   #33
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>what's she wearing? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I dunnow but it looks kinda cool! wow, Éowyn, who would have thought, a style icon!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:35 PM   #34
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

That is SO Rohan! Oddwen is on the right track. The props and set design ppl had vastly different designs for each race. The ram's head, the furry cloak (I think it's styley!) and the figuring on the walls indicate to me that it's Rohan. <P>Plus look at Éowyn's makeup. She's not sick, she's been crying. My guess is that this is the setup for her being told to stay at home, then riding to the Battle of Pelennor as Dernhelm. COOL. Remember they have already planted the seed of this plotline in TTT when Théoden forbids her to fight the Wargs, even though we know she can handle a sword. <P>Kudos to PJ/FW/PB, that's an excellent story that should rightly be kept in there! I can't wait to see the fell beastie get 'is 'ead chopped orf.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:27 PM   #35
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

that is most certainly at Edoras. most likely when Aragorn is saying good bye to Eowyn on the LoTR web site the caption for that picture says<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Aragorn spends a quiet moment with Eowyn at Edoras. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Its settled now.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:18 PM   #36
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I think Aragorn is way too much of a gentlemen to be at Eowyn's bedside just for a "visit", and Eowyn too proud to lie in bed as if weak while talking to Aragorn. <P>The wooden background looks Rohan-ish, I admit, but if you've seen the picture of Aragorn healing Faramir, it looks woody too. <P>Here's a higher resolution image: <A HREF="http://www.quintessentialwebsites.com/lordoftherings/movieshots_rotk/lotr2_aragorncomfortseowyn.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Image</A>.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 10:27 PM   #37
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Sting

NOt to get confrontational(sp?) but the CAPTION off of the LOTR WEBSITE said the PICTURE is this:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> <B>Aragorn spends a quiet moment with Eowyn at Edoras. </B> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>so if the website, not just any website, THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE, were lyin about that pic, may the Valar strike me down.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:58 PM   #38
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I believe so too. The Celtic motifs on the walls behind Eowyn are most definitely Rohirric in nature. I don't believe that Gondor would have rooms built out of slightly rustic wood, in that slightly Viking-ish style. It has a much more fluid, elegant, monochromatic decor. Look at shots of Eomer, Aragorn, Gandalf, etc. in the Council Room, and you will see a prime example of Gondorian decor. They also tend to have lots of statues and busts around, whereas the Rohirrim decorate mainly with wooden horse motifs, tapestries, and banners.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 07:22 PM   #39
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Sting

Gondorian funiture seems almost like Roman. Made out of granite and marble, almost reagle. While Rohan, is rustic and norse. So for that reason alone, it must be edoras.