The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-01-2004, 07:19 PM   #681
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Wow, davem, I am ever so jealous.

I've got some radio recordings as well; one is on a bunch of CDs and it's actually quite good, except for the fact that they take the "stress is usually on the second to last syllable" rule too much to heart, hence they say "Legolas" and "Denethor." I guess they never made it to Appendix E! The other is on cassette tapes and I have yet to listen to it... I'm hoping it's the BBC one with Ian Holm voicing Frodo.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:54 AM   #682
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
ARRGH! again! Also have Author of the Century & Defending Middle earth

Have to admit, probably 90% of my collection was gathered over the last three years, since the appearance of the movies sparked my interest over. Up to then my Tolkien 'experience' was limited mostly to 'repeats' of LotR, Sil, Hobbit, UT & the Radio series.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:46 PM   #683
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Davem -

You really have a wonderful collection, especially all the critical studies of Tolkien. There are a number of things I haven't seen in the U.S. -- the Sindarin Lexicon and the Tolkien dictionary plus "Of Orc Rags". Maybe I missed them or they are just not available here?

My main focus has been collecting different editions of the writings. I am gradually dragging together a list and, if I ever get it finished, will put it on this thread.

~Child
Old 09-04-2004, 02:06 AM   #684
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
A Sindarin Lexicon is published by the Tolkien Society - their current bestseller! Its about 50pps & costs £5 in real money .Available through TS sales at their w/site. Really good. Orc Rags is a sort essay, about 15 pps, again available through the TS for the same price. Not as good.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:27 PM   #685
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Thumbs up HOW utterly cool....(1)

My Kinderegg figure sets came today......they're AMAZING...the detail
for being so teeny...

I couldn't decide, so I have both the Fellowship set AND the Two
Towers set.

The fellowship set consists of (and I have them set out in front of
me, which is making it hard to type)

*Legolas in a running position with rocky/grassy base, complete with
quiver, arrows, white knives and bow (they're all stuck on his back,
but you can make out the individual arrows and knives).

Arwen--no "accessories".

Galadriel, with a silver pitcher in one hand, who also came with
a "birdbath" (someone tell me the correct name if there is one) stand with her silvery bowl on top--the stand has leaves
and vines entwined on one side and an intracate "weaved stone"
pattern on the other.

Frodo, who fits on a rock/grass base, his cloak detailed
with creases. He has one hand on his chest and the other arm raised,
in the raised arm he holds the Ring, which is tiny but still has a
hole in the center!

(MY) Sam, who is in a seated position so that he can be placed on his
base, a stump with a circle of rocks for a campfire in front of it,
and on the fire is THE FRYING PAN , with what looks like a couple
of sausages on it.

Gandalf the Grey, staff in one hand and the other hand balled in a
fist (as if shaking his fist at the Doors of Durin---or the "Fool of a Took!"? ) with Glamdring sheathed at his side.

Boromir, also with sheathed sword, sheild on his back, and the
wristbands on. In one hand he has raised the Horn of Gondor.

Strider, also with sheathed sword, one hand on the pommel and the
other on the shank, with a sleeping roll and a couple of other things
I can't make out on his back.

Gimli, leaning on his axe: you can see the detail in his belt buckle
and the braids in his beard (all the figures have awesome detail
lines).

Lastly but most certainly not leastly, Merry and
Pippin. Pippin, who has his hood on over his head (you can tell
it's him 'cause of the green scarf that hangs down his front) is in a
squatting position, and Merry, who has on his green waistcoat and
yellow vest, is in a seated position so that he fits on Pippin's
shoulders. (Somehow I'm thinking this should have been the other way
around, but that's me.

Sadly, Mr. Merry
came with his head broken off! I was fortunately able to glue it
back on in the right postition and it's drying nicely, but jeez!
He tends to be under appreciated as it is!

Oi...that was awfully long, so I will tell you about the Two Towers
set hopefully tomorrow.... ;p

~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@ ~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@
A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a
Friend that sticketh closer than a brother.~Proverbs 18:24
~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@ ~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@
"A nice pickle we've gotten ourselves into, Mr. Frodo! "

(re-posted from #3 Bagshot Row and edited)
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)

Last edited by Samwise; 09-07-2004 at 10:32 PM.
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 01:32 AM   #686
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thanks, Davem. That Lexicon sounds interesting...
Old 09-08-2004, 01:41 AM   #687
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Wonderful, Samwise! Those really are well-made, aren't they? The detailed painting, including gold and silver, is beautiful. I have all three sets - as a matter of fact, the link to pictures of them online should be in one of my earlier posts here...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 08:12 AM   #688
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

White Tree

They most certainly are well made, Miss Estylyn! I really can't get over them.

There's an ROTK set, too? I should have figured, but oh, dear....(says my checkbook....)
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 09-08-2004, 08:17 AM   #689
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Samwise, in this post, I put the links to all the Kinderegg figurines. Enjoy looking!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 02:20 PM   #690
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up Wow....

Verrrry very nice figures and things. Wowsers.... Now if only I read German.

The figures and everything are just amazing. I know I sound like a parrot, but they really really are.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:44 PM   #691
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
I've missed you all

Quote:
Galadriel, with a silver pitcher in one hand, who also came with
a "birdbath" (someone tell me the correct name if there is one)
I've always called it "Galadriel's mirror", though it's been a while since I've read the books (gasp!) so my memories are foggy.
Anyway, I need to either fix the chain I put "my precious" on, or buy a new one cause it snapped. I guess it's trying to get back to the book store it came from (or the friend that gave it to me.)
Old 09-12-2004, 02:08 PM   #692
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thank you, Morai. That's what I would (should) have said, too. I must have been missing a few braincells that day.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:37 AM   #693
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

hmm... so far I've got:
~LotR Trivial Pursuit game
~Several bookmarks
~LotR/Hobbit books box set
~two decks of FotR playing cards, plus the 'collector's tin' they came in
~RotK soundtrack
~Several magazine articles

that's about it. I hope to get more, but considering my limited income, it may not happen. that and my aptitude for spending money the minute i get it. you all have some great stuff! wish i did....

Cheers!
Mithhuaniel (my elvish name, according to the Barrowdowns name-generator)
Old 09-18-2004, 10:13 AM   #694
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

White-Hand

Welcome t' the thread, Miss Mithhuaniel ! I say any LOTR collections a good one, as long as you enjoy it!

I just sold some of the bazillion Decipher cards that I had, some scenes from Moria (nothin' major), and a bunch of nasty Orcses.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:35 AM   #695
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

thanks, Samwise! in all the long months I've been here, I've seldom been welcomed. I felt a bit left out. I now feel included.
cheers!
Mithh
Old 09-18-2004, 10:40 AM   #696
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Any collectors of those little action figures from the films might be interested to know that a new range has started appearing in the shops - includes some interesting figures such as Isildur, Shelob and Gil-Galad. I managed to get Gamling, Coronation Arwen (I call her 'Real' Arwen, seeing as she is not brandishing a sword) and Boromir in Gondorian Armour - this is a very good likeness of Sean Bean, I might take him down the 'Lane to watch the footie some day
Old 10-12-2004, 07:29 PM   #697
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up *bump!*

Phew! Sure is hard finding a thread that hasn't been posted in for a bit!

I was bumping around ebay the other night, actually looking for some
earrings for my mom, and ran into THESE. I bid on them, but
lost 'cause the price got too high. Today I get on line, and find
there's a second chance on BOTH of them! What could I do but get
them, they're so cute--especially the magnets, in my way of
thinking...

~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@~~{~@
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=35027

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ry<br /> 153=
Today I also recieved two packs of Decipher TCG FOTR cards, which, to my surprise, were only about 1/2 Orcs as opposed to 3/4 Orcs like usual.
Plus, there were nothing in these sets that I don't already have, so it wasn't that bad a buy!

Last edited by Samwise; 10-12-2004 at 07:31 PM. Reason: couldn't get the links to work. :(
Old 11-23-2004, 08:41 AM   #698
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Those looking for some unique Tolkien items for the gift-giving season might want to consider several items available from the Bodleian Library gift catalogue. (The Bodleian is the main library of the University of Oxford, where Tolkien taught.) Proceeds from the sales benefit the library.

Two posters can be seenhere . However, the larger catalgue lists several other items which cannot be viewed online. And, since two to three weeks are needed for delivery after ordering the hardcopy catalogue, and December 1 is the deadline for ordering overseas, I thought I might describe some of the items here and list their order numbers.

First are two sets of Christmas cards with artwork by Tolkien. They are published by permission of the Tolkien Estate. The last items are a calender and journal.

1. Oxford Spires Sillouette, with a reindeer-drawn sleigh in the sky and a hand written "A merry christmas' along the bottom. The drawing is a detail from Father Christmas in the Goblin Caves 1932 (MS Tolkien drawing 57). Cards are approx 4 pounds sterling for a package of 10. order number CX0351

2. Polar Bear and Penguins, from a drawing Tolkien sent to his daughter Priscilla in 1940. This, too is part of the Father Christmas series of letters. The penguins have travelled to the North Pole to help Father Christmas and are seen imitating the bear's walk. The left border reads "Christmas 1940" while the right border reads "New Year 1941." This is delightfully whimsical without being sentimental. I think the cards read 'Season's Greetings'. (MS Tolkien drawings 83, folio 57) approx 4 pounds sterling for a pack of 10. Order # CX0392.

3. An 18-month full colour calendar to commemorate the 50th anniversary edition of LotR. I quote: " Featuring Tolkien's original watercolours and pen & ink drawings plus previously unpublished materials and a middle pull-out from The Book of Mazarbul." May features his painting of Fangorn Forest. approx 10 pounds sterling. Order # ST0893.

4. A twelve-month diary or journal for 2005, also to commemorate the 50th anniversar edition. Contains quotations, extractions, dates from Tolkien's life, 14 images and border details from Tolkien's art work. approx. 10 pounds sterling. Order # ST0891.

Ways to order:

Email: sales@bodley.ox.ac.uk

Phone: 01865 277091, 277216 or 277108 (from outside UK, +44 1865+)

Snailmail:
Bodleian Library Sales,
Broad Street,
Oxford, OX1 3BG, UK

~~Bethberry, your friendly neighbourhood Christmas elf~~

Last edited by Bêthberry; 11-23-2004 at 09:09 AM.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:44 AM   #699
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up Wow...

Thank you for the info, Bethberry!

Recently I recieved 6 packs of Decipher TCG cards: "Mines of Moria". Suprisingly,
(to me, anyway) most of the cards have nothing whatsoever to do with Moria, as they have scenes depicting Bilbo's birthday, Merry and Pippin in Fangorn, and Elrond in Rivendell.

I don't know how they work these things, but I thought it was pretty cool...plus, while there were a few repeats of what I have, there were many that I did not.

I have asked for an LOTR Page-A-Day "Trilogy Edition" calendar for Christmas.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:28 PM   #700
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles of Great Joy

Quote:
I have asked for an LOTR Page-A-Day "Trilogy Edition" calendar for Christmas.
I want one too, but I've just left my mom "strong" hints, in hopes that she will buy me one. Of course, I already have a "day calendar" of "Get Fuzzy", but I don't care all that much. Some other things I've hinted at:
-Toy "Sting" that I saw at Bi-mart
- Toy Frodo action figure I saw at Wal-mart
-LOTR Risk Game I saw at Wal-mart
-LOTR Trivial Pursuit I saw at Wal-mart
-LOTR Monopoly I saw at Wal-mart

I doubt she'll get me all of this stuff, probably won't get me any, oh well.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:36 AM   #701
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I've got the Trivial Pursuit game. Got that last Christmas!
Old 11-24-2004, 08:10 AM   #702
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
*mumbles*

I just picked up another boxed set on ebay. Signature edition, with hobbit, green box... Hey, it was under five bucks.

And I can stop whenever I want to....

ps. I really must find a LOTR Stratego. And I should have my own copy of LOTR Risk, as well.

What are the alternatives to Hotels in LOTR Monopoly? Is it really LOTR-ish? I have a distaste for regular monopoly; it's just so... well... financial.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:14 PM   #703
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots I want more Random Titles for Christmas

Quote:
Must not be jealous.... Anyway, is it hard? (Why am I asking someone who most likely knows more about LOTR than I do?)
Quote:
I have a distaste for regular monopoly; it's just so... well... financial.
I have a hard enough time managing my real money, what little that I have....
Old 11-25-2004, 08:21 AM   #704
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

It's not really that difficult, but some of the questions have me stumped. Mainly, those are the ones that come from the Extended Editions (NONE of which I have seen) and the tougher questions in the "movie making" category. But other than that, it's not too hard. And you probably know more about Tolkien than you think you do, Morai!
Old 11-25-2004, 08:22 AM   #705
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by elronds_daughter
Film or book version? I posted some comments on the book-based trivia game here: LotR trivial pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
I really must find a LOTR Stratego.
I have a LotR Stratego game. It's produced by Hasbro Games. I found it a tad disappointing though. Not a patch on Stratego Legends (now there's a great game).

I really cannot imagine how LotR Monopoly would work. Does Galadriel get to charge Frodo for landing on Lothlorien? Or perhaps Sauron gets to fleece him for landing on Mount Doom with Five Hotels. Payment by way of a certain band of gold accepted, of course ... unless Gollum's there too.

Edit: Cross-posted with elronds_daughter, who answers my question above. I would recommend the book-based version.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:20 PM   #706
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Random Pursuits with Titles

Quote:
It's not really that difficult, but some of the questions have me stumped. Mainly, those are the ones that come from the Extended Editions (NONE of which I have seen) and the tougher questions in the "movie making" category. But other than that, it's not too hard. And you probably know more about Tolkien than you think you do, Morai!
Well, if you're talking about the film version, then yes I might have a chance at it. As for the book version, well....it's been awhile since I've read them. Funny that we're talking about Trivial Pursuit, for my family and I were playing it this evening. I lost horribly at it. It seems that all the questions I knew the answers to were given to my sister. Oh well, tough times I guess. Anyway, I did give some not so subtle hints to my sister in law about LOTR merchandise, that I might have a chance of getting something LOTR related at Christmas.
Quote:
I really cannot imagine how LotR Monopoly would work. Does Galadriel get to charge Frodo for landing on Lothlorien? Or perhaps Sauron gets to fleece him for landing on Mount Doom with Five Hotels. Payment by way of a certain band of gold accepted, of course ... unless Gollum's there too.
Good question, here's another: Do they have hotels or inns ?

And lastly, here's another addition to my christmas wish list:
A trip to Oxford. I think that would be worth several Frodo action figures. Of course, I'll have to wait until I'm rich enough to pay for the traveling expense.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:15 PM   #707
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Tolkien

A friend of mine has the movie edition, and when we played,by some miracle I left him in the dust. If it was the book edition, however, I'm sure it would be the other way around.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:23 PM   #708
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Shopping for Random Titles

Quote:
ps. I really must find a LOTR Stratego. And I should have my own copy of LOTR Risk, as well.
Both of which I saw at Target yesterday when I was brave enough to go shoppin on the day after thanksgiving. LOTR Risk was very popular, and they were almost out.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:45 PM   #709
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Quote:
Both of which I saw at Target yesterday when I was brave enough to go shoppin on the day after thanksgiving.
You certainly are a brave soul.

Does anyone here have the LOTR chess? I ordered one from ebay several months ago, but never recieved it. I'm giving the seller the benefit of the doubt, though, as he/she was from Florida and there were several things ripping through the state at that time.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:57 PM   #710
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise
Does anyone here have the LOTR chess?
Chess?? Must--get--somehow! Even though chess is not exactly my game, LotR chess would make me want to play a lot more. Hmm.... I'll put that one on my Christmas list.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:17 PM   #711
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by elronds_daughter
Chess?? Must--get--somehow! Even though chess is not exactly my game, LotR chess would make me want to play a lot more. Hmm.... I'll put that one on my Christmas list.
There are two versions, a cheap one that's still pretty cool -- in fact, I was taught how to play chess on this set, which probably was not a great idea because it just gave me the mindset, "Okay, so Gandalf can move like this, and Sam can move like this..." -- and then there's the super-awesome-hardcore-fancy-dancy version that I want ever so badly. My parents keep saying they're going to buy a chess set to put on this table in the living room, and I keep suggesting the LotR set, but nothing ever seems to come of it...
Old 11-27-2004, 10:27 PM   #712
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Question

Quote:
There are two versions, a cheap one that's still pretty cool -- -- and then there's the super-awesome-hardcore-fancy-dancy version
Two versions? What are the differences?
Old 11-27-2004, 10:39 PM   #713
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Ummmm, depending on where you shop, about two hundred dollars. Or five hundred dollars. Or six hundred dollars.

You may ponder your choices at http://www.lotrfanshop.com/lotrshop/chess.asp

Why in so many of these sets, Frodo is a bishop, and not the king, I have yet to figure out. After all, he moved one step at a time. And if Sauron had captured him-- game over!

Last edited by mark12_30; 11-27-2004 at 10:50 PM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 10:40 PM   #714
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Whoops! Should have clarified.

To put it simply, one costs around $500 more than the other.

The less expensive one has plastic pieces and a cardboard board. Picture hither.

The pricey one (the "Collecter's Set") has pewter pieces and a porcelain and plexi-glass board. Picture hither.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:01 PM   #715
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up Yow......

Uh....think I'll stick with the $39 dollar version, as nice as the ones that would take at least two paychecks to pay for are.

Besides, one of the things I liked about the above version is that the pawns on the "good guy" side are Sam....
Old 11-28-2004, 04:40 PM   #716
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Check [random title] Mate

Quote:
Why in so many of these sets, Frodo is a bishop, and not the king, I have yet to figure out. After all, he moved one step at a time. And if Sauron had captured him-- game over!
Well, in a way, Sauron did capture Frodo when the orcs took him away from Shelob's "lair". Of course it did the Eye little good considering that Sam had the Ring at that point. Perhaps the Ring should be the King on one of the sides?
Quote:
Besides, one of the things I liked about the above version is that the pawns on the "good guy" side are Sam....
I think since Frodo should be King, Sam should be Queen. Sam did do a good job of protecting Frodo and is almost as important as him in that way.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:33 PM   #717
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Random Titles Roasting Over an Open Fire

Wow, two, TWO posts by me in a row, I think that's a new trick.
  • LOTR Trilogy Edition Day Calendar
  • ROTK Soundtrack
  • TTT Video (a 2nd copy)

The Calendar I've been waiting for since last year, but couldn't get because it was on backorder, even on the internet! As for the video, I'll probably trade it in for one of the games I wanted, or the much desired Frodo action figure.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:00 AM   #718
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up My LOTR Christmas Contributions....

Well, thanks to my parents, I will now have no trouble whatsoever figuring out what day it is .

My mother gave me the LOTR Trilogy edition day by day calendar, and my father gave me "A Guide to Middle-Earth: Exploring the Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings from the Book by Robert Foster d-b-d calendar.

I also recieved something I didn't think existed--A Hallmark Keepsake ornament in the form of Frodo Baggins. Now all I need to do is find a Sam....

(edit)
PS: OH !!! My very best Christmas present came from my brother and sister in law, and had nothing to do with LOTR whatsoever ! Forgive the off-topicness but

I'M GONNA BE AN AUNT !!!!!!!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Collectibles discussion.

(end edit)

Last edited by Samwise; 12-26-2004 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Oh! I forgot......;)
Old 12-27-2004, 07:49 AM   #719
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Congratulations, Samwise! Babies are so much fun... Especially when they're related to you, but not yours.

Anywhee, back on topic:
Thanks to my wonderful grandmother, I am now the proud owner of the Return of the King Extended Edition! Happiness!
Old 12-27-2004, 04:27 PM   #720
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up

THank you much, and congrats to you, too.