User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2003, 03:25 PM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420! The Green Dragon Inn - Part 8

Part 7 of the Inn was acting up, so I have closed it, and opened this new one.

~*~ Carry on, Shirelings! ~*~

Green Dragon Inn Facts:

It is the 4th Age, year 12. By the Shire Calendar it is year 1433 S.R. (Shire Reckoning).

King Elessar is on the throne of the Reunited Kingdom of Arnor and Gondor.

Mirkwood has been reclaimed by the Elves and is now called Eryn Lasgalen.

Paladdin Took, Pippin’s father, is Thain of the Shire. (Thain is an honorary title for the military leader of the Shire. The title has been held in the Took Family since the position was first established in 3rd Age 1979 with Bucca of the Marish as First Thain.) Paladdin Took dies in year 13, and will be succeeded by his son, Peregrin, ‘Pippin’, Took.

Samwise Gamgee is Mayor of the Shire, having succeeded Will Whitfoot in 1427 S.R.

The Innkeeper, in the Green Dragon Inn of this forum, is:
Aman – a young woman from Rohan.

Before her, the Innkeeper was Piosenniel, and before her it was Dwarin, the Dwarf.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Other ongoing characters in the Inn:

Ruby Brown, Hobbit – not married – server and maid

Buttercup Brownlock, Hobbit – not married – kitchen assistant and maid

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Ongoing characters from outside the Inn:

Halfred Whitfoot – local Shiriff and Postmaster; his pony’s name is Dumpling.
  • Only the Innkeeper, Amanaduial, or the Moderators move the timeline for the Inn forward.
  • Visitors to the Inn will need to read the posts that come before theirs to get an idea of what time it is in the Shire, what the weather is like, and what is happening.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It is now afternoon in the Shire.

The clouds have blown away, and the day has grown warm.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:35 PM December 24, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-22-2003, 03:47 PM   #2
Melisil
Wight

Melisil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Melisil raised her head, a man, she wasn't sure where from, sat next to her. "You're mightily pretty to be sitting all by yourself," he said, "My name's Eruisto. What might yours be?"

"Melisil," she replied, smiling slightly.

"Well, m'Lady Melisil, welcome to the Green Dragon Inn," he replied, "What brings you here?"

"Hello, thank you for the welcome and the compliment." she said smiling, "I've been travling to many different places, I've stopped here for a few days rest. I came here to the Shire to deliver a message, but, now that I've done that, I'll probably be leaving for home again soon." Melisil replied, answering his question as best she could, "And what about yourself? Are you here often?"
Old 12-22-2003, 04:01 PM   #3
SonOfBombadil
Animated Skeleton

Location: In a place that is not a place, in a time that never was.
SonOfBombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Lewis was about to order some drinks for his new friends and himself, when he heard the cry of "free drinks!" from an excited little hobbit.

Well that settles that, Lewis thought. Just then, a hobbit lass came and placed three drinks on the table. "Thank you" he said.

Lewis took a swallow of his ale, and said. "Ravon, if you don't mind me asking, where are you from? Eofeng here, and myself are both from the sweet plains of Rohan."
Old 12-22-2003, 04:08 PM   #4
Eothed
Newly Deceased

Eothed has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Éothed were riding up the hill and looked down at a few small houses. He stroked his long darkbrown hair away from hes eyes so he could se better. It seemed like a very nice place. He jumped down from the horse back and walked beside the rest of the way. He saw a sign that said; 'The Green Dragon Inn' He slowly removed his dark green hood and walked over to the stables and left Roman, his horse, there. He walked to the Inn and thought;Seems like a very nice Inn, maybe I should stay here for a while. It was so long since I last were here, but this time my cause is different.

He left his Longsword by the door and walked over to a table. He still weared his breastplate that covered hes shoulders and breast and hes boots, but he had left hes helmet in the stable with Roman, he didnt whant to look like he were prepared to fight. He also wearded a pendant in pure gold formed like a horse. He got thirsty and orderd ale. His mouth were so dry and he could almost not talk. He looked around and saw two dwarves discussing some adventures they were planning and how much gold and diamonds they would found. But Éothed were not interested in the dwarves discussion, to him they seemed to greedy. He saw a few hobbits sitting around a table with ale and discussed something. They talked fast and almost whisperd to each other.

After Éothed finnished his pint of ale he looked around a felt for talking to someone after the refreshment in his dry throat. He looked around but everyone seemed busy. Éothed sighed and continued looking around for soemone to talk to.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:41 AM December 23, 2003: Message edited by: Eothed ]
Old 12-22-2003, 04:09 PM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Camlost, the crow

From his perch on the gutter of the stable, Camlost could see the comings and goings of the Inn’s patrons as they trudged down the muddied road. The rain had passed, and the traffic to and fro had picked up as the sun brightened in the sky, burning the clouds away.

Old Yellow Eye – that is what some of the Orcs had called it that he’d had the misfortune to meet in the Misty Mountains. They’d cursed it and shaken their gnarled fists at it as they scurried below - to the shadows and welcoming darkness of the caves at the mountains’ roots. Camlost had grown to enjoy this spectacle and praised the sun each time it rose. Orc-chaser, he called it. Its rising meant he was free to roam about the wooded hillsides, hunting for small animals when he could, or picking at the remains of what ever the Orcs had killed. Thoughts of food filled his mind. He had slept for a long while, and now his bird belly ached with its emptiness.

Gnawing hunger made him brave. He flew down to a small window that had been thrown open to catch the afternoon’s light and warm breezes. Landing on the shutter, he cocked his head and peered in cautiously. The two-foots were all chattering like magpies to each other and enjoying the liquid refreshments of the Inn.

He sailed in silently through the window, flying quickly with only a few hushed beats of his wings to the shadowed cross beam just above the bar. With any luck one of the diners would leave some scraps (and a swig of ale, he hoped), which he could partake of.

Camlost settled in. He was a patient bird once his goal was set in his mind. He could wait . . .

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 5:12 PM December 22, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-22-2003, 04:24 PM   #6
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"I have been to Rohan quite recently," replied Phervásaion. "But I only passed through it to get here. From what I saw of it everything looked peaceful and the people looked happy,"

Phervásaion turned to look out the window of the inn and the sun was shining through. "Ah, the clouds have cleared up. I may go for a walk around the Shire soon and you can join me if you wish. We could travel down to Bywater if you wanted, there’s some nice scenery there."

Phervásaion thanked Ruby when she brought him his ale refill and took a large gulp of it. "Or if there’s any where else you wanted to go I would happily go with you."
Old 12-22-2003, 04:58 PM   #7
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Silmaril

After telling the story of his lineage and adventures, Hamfast stared out of the window, realizing how much time had past since he met Eruisto. A greater crowd had poured into the Green Dragon, making it impossible for Hamfast to concentrate on what he was saying. Hamfast never blurted out the first thing that came to his mind (with the exception of insults).

Hamfast gazed at Ruby Brown, which would make him drool if his mouth wasn't filled with meat. Hamfast finally realized that half the time he wasn't paying attention to Eruisto, and marveling at Ruby's beauty.

"Hamfast? Hamfast? Hamfast! If you're just going to ignore me and stare at that hobbit lass all day, at least make some move. Ask her to dinner, or something." said Eruisto, rolling his eyes and drinking his 7th pint. It was amazing how little effect the ale had on him. Perhaps it was the fact that he was taller and was tired. Hamfast's father said that it takes a pint to get a tired hobbit up. Surely it would take more for a man. But surely not 6 pints more! And, as tired as he was, Eruisto didn't look sick.

"You're not serious...are you? I couldn't ask her out. She'd never say yes. Anyhow I'm not much of a ladies man." Hamfast said.

"I'll make you a deal..." Eruisto said, finally smiling as though the ale had finally got to him. "…If you ask her out for dinner, and she accepts, I'll spend the rest of your date taking her place, serving the Inn and taking orders and what not! But...if she rejects you...you have to work in the kitchen and volunteer to clean the dishes. "

"All right then, Eruisto! I hope you like being on your feet!" Hamfast said as he got up, said cheers, and walked on over to Ruby, who was on her break.

"Oh, Hamfast! You're back so soon! What has it been, ten minutes? What can I do for you? I'm most honored to help a fine gentleman like you!" Ruby Brown said with a modest smile.

"Actually, I wanted to ask what I could do for you. I was wondering...if you would dine with me at dinner. After all you have done for me, and the folk in this Inn, it seams only fair that you take a load off and enjoy the night. Actually, I have a friend who's always wanted to be a server at the Inn. He'd gladly take your place for the night! What do you say Ruby?"

"Well I don't know what to say. I'm flattered. Yes! I'd love to!" Ruby said to Hamfast as though they were the only two in the whole Inn.

"Alright then! I'll come for you later and my friend can start wading the tables!" Hamfast spoke turning away from Ruby"

Watching Hamfast go back to his table, and seeing his friend, Eruisto bang his fist on the table, drink the rest of his drink, and leave the table, Ruby muttered: "Until then..."

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:16 AM December 23, 2003: Message edited by: The Perky Ent ]
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 12-22-2003, 06:33 PM   #8
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"And what about yourself? Are you here often?" Melisil asked.

Eruisto made an attempt to look humble and like he was trying to find a way around the question that would not force him to brag, but he was pretty sure it wasn't working. "Well, I'm a traveller as well, and I'm here myself for a brief respite, though it may be longer if I find myself comfortable here." He took a sip of his drink, and studied her face for a moment. There was something a little odd about it, but he couldn't tell what it was.

She was certainly pretty enough for two people, and young as well, but there was an odd quality about her, an aura, though Eruisto didn't use that word, an overlay of something that Eruisto couldn't define. Something older and wiser and sadder than her pretty face suggested.

He took another sip as he thought about it, then a thought burst over him, and he almost choked on his ale. She couldn't be...in all his travels...she was an elf! Well-travelled though he might be, he'd never met an elf before. "You're..." he began, still choking a little, and Melisil looked quizzically at him. He coughed, and tried to smile casually while he thought of a cover-up. "You're, uh, from..." Bad idea. "You're staying here at least overnight, then?" Inwardly Eruisto breathed a sigh of relief. Not his best cover ever, but it would do. He sat back in his chair and awaited her answer.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:49 PM   #9
Melisil
Wight

Sting

"You're..." Eruisto began, "You're, uh, from... You're staying here at least overnight, then?"

"Yes." Melisil replied. Then for a moment she didn't say anything, but looked at him in a way quizingly, but yet still curiously. "Yes, I'm staying here at least untill tommorow. I wouldn't mind staying a bit longer though." she thought for a moment, staring at her half-full mug, wondering whether to ask how long he would be staying. She took a drink, then looked back to him. "Have you had dinner yet?" Melisil asked, changing the subject slightly, but mostly she was just getting a bit hungry.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:50 PM December 22, 2003: Message edited by: Melisil ]
Old 12-23-2003, 06:53 AM   #10
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Lúrëaelda

Lúrëaelda saw Cree sway and caught her as she fell, "What's wrong with her!" Durin cried. "I am not sure?" he whispered "But we should give her room. Together they gently lifted Cree into a nearby chair. As they did a cheer rose in the room.

"To the happy couple!" he looked up briefly to see a throng of people, elves, men and hobbits alike toasting his mother and his soon to be stepfather, he smiled warmly, then turned back to Cree.

She had told him that she was bonded to the crow in some way, perhaps the same as he was to Draug, Cree was older than him. 'is this the fate that awaits me also?' he wondered 'will what ever was done to me try to take over?' he looked up again to his parents and he saw Aman standing next to them.

"No!" he whispered determinedly seeing their smiling faces "I will not let it, I will never hurt those I love and I do not believe this elf would either."

Cree was right it would catch up to him eventually, but as he looked at the happy couple it pained him, how could he tell his mother he was leaving, just when she found happiness. But he smiled as he remembered the words of Celeborn when he had argued that he could not leave her, 'She will understand, she always has'. with that thought he resolved himself to leave on the morn.

Taking a small round tin from his pocket he opened it and waved it gently under her nose, "What is that?" the dwarf asked suspiciously, "Just smelling salts" he answered as Cree began to stir.

"I am Journeying to Rhosgobel on the morn, come with me Perhaps together we can find the answers we seek?" he asked helping her up.

As he waited for her answer, he planned to speak with Aman, he knew that she could help them with supplies but that was not his reason for wishing to speak to her. There was something between them he could feel it, and his mother saw it also and although he understood why she did not approve he could not go without first speaking to the young Rohirrim woman.

"You should never give up hope we may yet find your father!" he whispered Sensing the elf's hesitation.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:16 AM   #11
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Silmaril

The thought of Hamfast having dinner with Ruby Brown felt like a splinter. But nevertheless the best, and most enjoyable splinter he had ever had. Hamfast felt like butter scraped over too much bread. Each minute was an eternity...and then some.

With his friend Eruisto gone, and finaly stuffed from eating all day, Hamfast left the Inn for some fresh air. It felt so great. There was a breaze that brushed his hair with the utmost comfort. Hamfast saw shiriff Halfred on his horse, Dumpling. Hamfast had met Halfred before, but not on so happy an event. Apparently some fool had stole food from the Green Dragon Inn and the sheriff questioned everyone.

Funny thing is...the description of the theif matched Hamfast. It was very embarrasing. But not as embarrasing as his dinner date with Ruby. Panacking quickly, a million thoughs passed through Hamfast's mind, as he realized he wasn't prepared. The first thought being a giant stain on his shirt, Hamfast ran into the Inn, said hi to Aman, and dashed up to his room, where he'd change and prepare for dinner, which was in 3 hours.
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 12-23-2003, 10:23 AM   #12
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

"Any news of Rohan is well appreciated. I thank you for that." Kitanna took another sip of her ale.

She took a moment before answering the proposal for a walk. "As for a walk, I would love too. I've never been here so I'm leaving it up to you not to get us lost."
Old 12-23-2003, 11:29 AM   #13
Eothed
Newly Deceased

Sting

Éothed sighed deeply again. He looked around and felt lonely. There were so much noise and different sounds in the little Inn. Éothed rised from his chair and walked to the bar to order another ale. He sat down again and started to drink.

Éothed thought it would be nice if some of the native people around here could talk to him. He had a lot of questions on his mind. Éothed looked around himself, but everyone seemed busy.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:19 PM   #14
Arothir
Wight

Arothir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The elf went and got another drink. He sat down. Looking over, he saw some hobbits drinking merrily. One came over and asked the elf to join them. He walked over, fingers on his sword.

"So," the hobbit said, "who are you? What brings you here?" The elf pulled back his red hood, revealing short, black hair. He had large, black eyes. Then he spoke, "My name is Taurnil. I come from the Wood of Green Leaves. I fought against Dol Guldur in the War of the Ring. I was on my way to Mithlond, so that I might sail to Valinor and join my kin. But now I think I might stay in Middle-earth a while longer."

The hobbits stared at Taurnil's sword. "So," said Taurnil, "Like it do you? It is called Glorthang, the Gold Iron. It is an old heirloom of my family, the House of Guilin, a noble Noldorin house. My father gave it to me the day he left for the havens."

Taurnil stares into space, recalling his father, a Noldorin lord, and his mother a Silvan elf. He shivers, though he is wearing a cloak, as he thinks of days past.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:29 PM   #15
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Aman turned away from the small crowd as Cree stirred and her eyelids flickered slowly open as Lúrëaelda held her gently, a look of concern and worry on his face. But as his eyes flickered and his face set into an expression of determination, Aman became sure it was not just for Cree he was worried.

Aman served a wary looking, cloaked elf a drink and he introduced himself, after a moment, as Taurnil of Eryn Lasgalen. He didn't seem to keen to talk just then but, after a few minutes and a drink of ale, he stood, gathering his nerve and approaching a group of hobbits, introducing himself. The Innkeeper nodded approvingly - it was always good to see people reaching out, especially to the Shire folk. Made them feel less overrun.

Looking down, the Innkeeper saw a long, soulful face looking up at her from thigh height. Raising her eyebrows, she regarded the hairy face for a moment, then slipped out to retrieve the dirty plates from around the room. When she came back, Taurin was deep in polite conversation and the yellow eyes were still watching her, from ground level this time. Taking a half eaten piece of toast, unbuttered, from one of the plates, the Innkeeper held it questioningly. Draug's ears perked up and he raised his head off his paws. Half-perching on a stool, Aman let the wolf take the toast from her hand this time, resting his paws lightly on her knees as he reached forward with his teeth. Aman thought of how many animals must have been killed by those jaws, but found herself not in the slightest perturbed - the wolf was as gentle now as Lúrëaelda - and as strange.

Standing to leave the wolf with his toast, the Innkeeper turned to find herself looking straight up into Lúrëaelda's face only a few inches from hers. Smiling after her initial confusion, the Innkeeper stepped back slightly to give him more room.

"I wished to speak with you..." he started, softly.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:14 PM   #16
Arothir
Wight

Sting

Taurnil was deep in conversation with the hobbits. After telling of himself, the hobbits had begun telling Taurnil news of the Shire. Normally Taurnil didn't like this kind of idle talk, but after his long journey to Bywater, he didn't mind.

One of the hobbits asked him, "So friend, how was your journey here? Didn't have trouble or nothing, did you?"

Taurnil replied, "As a matter of fact, yes. I met a band of Easterlings a few miles outside Archet. No idea how any Easterlings got there. Of course," he smiled, "they didn't know that they were attacking a hardened Elf warrior. I slew their leader, raised my sword, and they all fled."

"That sounds must unpleasant," the hobbit said. Taurnil laughed, "Well friend, would you have had them kill me? By the way, what is your name?"

The hobbit said, "My name is Blongo Baggins." The other two hobbits introduced themselves as Tolman Took and Vallavo Baggins.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:48 PM December 23, 2003: Message edited by: Arothir ]
Old 12-23-2003, 07:06 PM   #17
Melisil
Wight

Sting

Melisil asked one of the barmaids for some dinner as she waited for his reply.

As she waited for her dinner to be ready, she looked to her other side and saw a man who looked very sadly lonely. "Hello there. Come, move closer so you may have dinner with myself and Eruisto here." she said to him, "My name is Melisil, and yours?" she said to the man whom she would later call Éothed.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:20 PM   #18
Arothir
Wight

Sting

Taurnil got up from the table to get some dinner. He passed a lonely man with long darkbrown hair sitting by Melisil. Taurnil had seen her introduce herself to the man, but he had not responded.

"Hello," said Taurnil, "You look rather lonely. Would you like someone to talk to. You can come to my table if you want. I'm Taurnil of Eryn Lasgalen. Who are you?"

The man was silent for a second, but then he responded. "I am Eothed of the Rohirrim."

Taurnil said, "Pleasure meeting you. You're welcome to join my table."
Old 12-23-2003, 08:59 PM   #19
Caoimhin

Sting

Caoimhin sat by the fireplace, his eyes closed yet restless. Not answering the young woman was insulting and dishonorable enough, but now he was beginning to wonder how long he would go before he let his story of shame slip out. He knew in his heart that he would not be able to keep his cover for long, for the patron of the Inn seemed to long to probe for answers from anyone or anything that entered, as he was noticing. Sooner or later, he would have to tell the truth, unless he left now.

But something kept him there. There was a feeling of longing, and wanting to tell his story. Though he would never do so on his own, surely someone would be able to provoke him enough to tell it.

That would have to wait, though, as Caoimhin's eyes became less restless, and he dozed off in the chair by the fire, with his hood over his eyes and his chair on a tilt against the wall. Any telling of stories would have to wait until later...

Old 12-23-2003, 09:07 PM   #20
HaldirHD

Sting

Earendur Seregon looked down the misted road of Bree. He spurred his horse forward and saw a waver of candle light and heard the faint sound of laughter coming from the direction. He galloped forward and saw a small in with a sign hanging over the door reading "Green Dragon". He went a little further and dismonted from his steed and handed the reigns to the stablemen and handed them a few coins to pay for his horses lodging and accomidations. He pulled the hood of his cloak down as he enter the inn. He enter the door and was greeted with a wave of smells of fresh bread and good ale. The place seems cherrie enough he thought with a smile to himself.

He walked into the inn and sat himself at a small table and surveyed the small inn. It was of course filled with hobbits. There were a good many eating and a few appeared drunk. He again chuckled to himself and hailed the serving maid. He ordered himself a pint of ale and sat back and relaxed to watch to goings and comings of the quaint inn.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:35 PM December 24, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

Old 12-24-2003, 02:48 AM   #21
Eothed
Newly Deceased

Sting

"Thank you, master elf.", Éothed said and bowed. Éothed sat down and said;"So your an elf?" Taurnil nodded and looked at Éothed.

"So what brings you here, Taurnil?", Éothed said and drank a little of his ale. He was excited and waited for Taurnils answer.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:27 AM   #22
Arothir
Wight

Sting

"So what brings you here, Taurnil?" asked Eothed. He had just sat down with Taurnil and the hobbits.

Taurnil began. "I come from Eryn Lasgalen. In the year 3015 of the Third Age my parents left for the Grey Havens because of the threat of the Enemy. I stayed, for I wanted to defend the forest against any evil. But some years after the war I grew weary. Finally I decided to go to the Havens, which is why I am here. But I think that I might stay in Middle-earth a while longer, to learn of the Shire."
Old 12-24-2003, 01:16 PM   #23
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Phervásaion laughed and said "If I get lost in the Shire then I’m getting so old my memories going. I know the lands well as I have travelled here many times in my life. I think we could go to Bywater, or maybe the woods of Buckland."

Phervásaion looked across the room and saw a man dressed in Rohirrim clothes and he had long dark brown hair. Éothed was his name. "That man over there, the one talking the Elf. He looks like one of your own kin before you left and went into the wild. Maybe later we could go over and speak to him, after he’s finished speaking with the people he’s with. He would probably know more about what’s going on in Rohan than I would," said Phervásaion while looking at Éothed.

"Anyway, do you like it in Rohan Kitanna?… or do you like to travel around a lot. I love Travelling. I’ve been to many places in my life, Minas Tirith in Gondor and to Edoras in Rohan. I personally like travelling in the woods, mainly because I grew up in them with my father."

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:18 PM December 24, 2003: Message edited by: Phervasaion ]
Old 12-24-2003, 01:30 PM   #24
Eothed
Newly Deceased

Sting

Éothed nodded and said;"Very wise." Éothed looked at the hobbits that sat around him Taurnil. "Myself, I do not know how long I am going to stay" Éothed continued with a more quite voice.

It got very quite around the table and Taurnil finally opened his mouth and said;"Well..." Éothed looked at him and waited.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:43 PM   #25
Arothir
Wight

Sting

"Well," Taurnil started. He looked around the Inn. His table was fairly quiet, but all around he could hear many conversations. The hobbit called Vallavo Baggins spoke up.

"Excuse me sirs, but me, Tolman, and Blongo are going for a walk. All this talk of leaving Middle-earth and whatnot is beyond me."

"Suit yourself," said Taurnil. The three hobbits got up and left. Taurnil started again, "Well, Middle-earth sure is nice and all, which is why I want to stay. Yet every year more and more Elves leave. I feel torn in two..." He looked around at all the people enjoying themselves. Taurnil had always been a loner, so he had never felt welcome in these places. He was glad to have found a friend, and he smiled. He hailed a barmaid and got some more drinks. He took a sip from his cup, now enjoying himself. He turned back to Eothed.

"So Eothed, your name shows you to be a Rohir. What brings you here?" He waited for Eothed's answer.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:48 PM December 24, 2003: Message edited by: Arothir ]
Old 12-24-2003, 05:14 PM   #26
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I sat numb after Iris's announcement to go to post office had assailed my ears, afterwich she had left in a might storm leaving me brimming with curiosity. I racked my brains trying to find the reason while Elentari sat quietly, thankfully not saying anything. Could Iris be sending a letter back home, telling her family not to worry about her? I paused as the suggestion, but then shook my head and threw it away: Iris didn't seem to be the caring sort of person. She had seemed annoyed about going, but that didn't really give any clues because she was annoyed about everything , and she was extremely terse about it, but that was nothing new either. A poisoned thought entered my mind, a malign whisper: she betrayed my secret once before, what if she would do it again and betray my refuge in this Inn to my trollish relatives. "That little orc!" I snapped, drumming my fingers violently on the table.

"What?" asked Elentari in surprise.

But then again, I could be wrong and she did seem to like me a little bit when I first met her. "Oh nothing," I muttered, stopping my drumming and reverting to a nervous jitter. "How is it outside, fair elf friend?" Inside was so...stuffy and caged, I thought.

"It is warm outside and the sun shines down from a clear sky. A soft wind rustles the branches of a nearby oak, squirrels are chattering and scamper among the leaves chasing acorns."

Her voice seemed to smile, and I grinned back. "Take me outside, please."

"Alright," she said gently, as I heard her slide her chair back, the legs skidding raucously across the wooden planks of the floor. I could feel the floor tremble beneath my bare feet, I could feel flutter cross the wood toward me and I could only guess that it was the light-footed Elentari.

With her gentle hands, she guided me out the door. The wind caught my hair and blew it into a brown cloud behind my head...I could feel his hands mold it into a flowing horse's mane behind my head. I smiled broadly and wondered what shapes he was sculpting with Elentari's hair. But he soon went away to chase the birds and smiles behind some other hill, I suppose.

"We're beside the tree," Elentari said softly.

Outstretching my hand, my fingers brushed the jagged barck. I traced the oak's deep ravines that scarred his surface. Standing on tiptoe, my hand encountered a jutting limp. Freeing my other arm from Elentari's clasp, I enrapped it about the limb and then curled my legs to my chest and swung softly, ignoring my protesting limbs that slowly pricked with sleep. I flashed a grin down to where I hope Elentari had stayed.

"You could probably climb the tree," she suggested.

Of course she didn't bother to tell me how to do it, but, after I pondered the logic of it, I realized that the way to climb a tree didn't change with one's eyesight.

I dropped my legs and heaved with my arms, my chin collided with the branch and my hands slipped a little bit, but I didn't fall. I lugged my leg upon the tree and slid my whole body onto the branch.

I rested upon the tree, much like a cat would. I smiled happily and felt Elentari spring beside me. A breeze tiptoed to us, whispering that life was good.

Old 12-24-2003, 09:15 PM   #27
randomhobbit42

1420!

"Ah, the Green Dragon," I said as a smileappeared on my face. That old place was full of memory and good laughs- not to mention the ale! Growing up in a house around the corner of the "Dragon" was an easy life. I never did anything unexpected or had any excitement in my life back then.

Things sure have changed since my long journey. My hobbit-sense returned from my straying thoughts of swords and shields and i sat down at the table and hailed the maiden for a pint of ale.
"It's good to be home."

Old 12-24-2003, 10:21 PM   #28
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eruisto glanced at Taurnil and Éothed, and raised his eyebrows. "Nice intercept," he commented, turning back to Melisil. He couldn't tell whether or not she was offended, but he decided not to make a big deal out of it. Best let sleeping dogs lie.

There was a low hum of conversation that hung over the common room like a fog, but there was something warm and home-like about it. Eruisto was used to cold silences and colder welcomes, but even the chilly morning had seemed warmer than many summer days he'd spent in other towns. He ran a hand along the worn wooden table, and felt in it the caresses of countless other hands. Everything in this Inn seemed old and loved to him, like heirlooms or hand-me-downs. Then again, maybe it was just the air of the Shire. This place seemed like it was full of history.

Full of history. He looked at Melisil. Her twilight eyes, full of the wisdom and quiet energy of her people, were trained on him, waiting for him to say something. "Melisil," he began, "I'd like to ask you something. I hope you don't find it rude." He paused a moment. "M'lady, I've never actually met an elf before. I love stories, and...I, well, I was wondering if you would mind telling me where you were from. I'm from Gondor, and though I passed in the general vicinity of Lothlorién and Rivendell, I couldn't see them. Could you tell me about your land?" Afraid he had said too much, he stopped and sat back in his chair.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:24 AM   #29
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sírabel and Lanus

Kitanna left to speak with the other ranger. “You scared her away” laughed Lanus. Sírabel did not look impressed. “Well, I should still like to hear of you tale, if you would tell it.”

Sírabel sat up straight in her chair. She had never recalled the tales of the rangers before, not even to Lanus. She paused deep in thought before beginning.

“Well, Our meeting was brief, I made friends with one in an Inn outside of Minas Tirith, and he said that he was there visiting the King Elessar, (because people say that he used to be one of them you know) so we got talking and I found that he was riding north. Now, I was quite tired of walking until the blisters on my feet bled, Hamirdan was his name, he offered my a place on his horse. We reached, where was it? Oh yes. Minhiriath and there we camped with the other rangers who had come -and dear Eru I could have died! We were attacked by wildmen. You know me, im not a fighter, I was set atop of Hamirdan’s horse and told that if something went wrong I was to ride as fast as I could. Well there was no need of course- they are rangers after all.’

She stopped and glanced at her audience of two, and smiled. “We got to Bree and they went the other way, they said I might like it here, and I suppose they were right.”

Lanus clapped “Well done You Ladyship! You got on a horse and saved yourself!” in one swift movement Sírabel hit him on the back of the head.

“What was that for!” he cried.

“Being sarcastic.” Sírabel added. “At least its more interesting than the five sisters who were all called the same thing!” she crossed her arms and waited for her cake.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 12-25-2003, 05:48 AM   #30
Will Witfoot
Haunting Spirit

Will Witfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Fungrim had sat at his table, immobile and alone for two square hours now. Only occasionally did he stir to take a gulp from his flagon or a breath from his pipe. He sat there, immobile and ignored like an aged statue. Only the occasional furtive glance from a local disspeled the feeling of invisibility.

He turned his head to search for the barmaid, and his gaze locked with two brown eyes regarding him with a mild curiosity. At his glance, however, the eyes owner turned hurriedly back to his flagon. His table got quieter by a notch almost instantly.
He cursed his ill luck. There had been a chance for company, but one look from him had ruined everything. His stern looks and the large axe leaning to the table propably disscouraged most of the locals.

He got up and stomped moodily to the bar-table, passing a curious looking elf in red talking to a man whom Fungrim judged was from Rohan by his accent and armour and clothes. If only he didnt feel so alien making contact with strangers. The years spent in the wilds had burned out most of his sociable skills.

He stomped to the bar and proped his axe against the counter. "An ale, please." He said tossing a few coins on the bar.
Herein, it is said, the power of Ulmo was shown. For he gathered tidings of all that passed in Beleriand, and every stream that flowed from Middle-earth to the Great Sea was to him a messenger, both to and fro
Old 12-25-2003, 06:15 AM   #31
Eothed
Newly Deceased

Pipe

Éothed orderd some meat and another ale. He turned to Taurnil and said;"My father died when I was just a child. When I grew up I left my mother and my little sister and served King Éomer. Now after a few years of serving him, he released me from my services. Now I am exploring Middle-Earth. I have never been out of Rohan before.

Taurnil nodded. Éothed got his meat and ale and started eating. He had not eaten anything since breakfast."How long are you going to stay?" Éothed asked and waited for Taurnils answer.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:27 AM   #32
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Kitanna looked over to Eothed. "Perhaps I will have a few words with him later on." She turned her attention to the outside world for a moment. The couds were breaking away. "Perfect day for a walk."

Phervásaion nodded, "Which is naturally why I suggested it."

Kitanna smiled and looked back at Phervásaion. "As for your question about Rohan. I love Rohan more than anyone or anything. It is my home and nothing will ever change that. Though I must admit there's a special place in my heart for the wild." She sighed and thought her home.

Often had she wished to return to Rohan. To be amoung the horselords once more. To be riding alongside her kin. But for her it seemed true that you truly can never go home. She looked over to Eothed, he swatted his long brown hair from his eyes. Later, when he was less busy she would ask him of Rohan. Kitanna would learn of the current affairs of her home.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:47 PM   #33
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Sting

Cree looked up to see eyes on her. "Why not. Sure I'll go with you. When do we leave."
Cree looked around to see that happiness had spread throughout the inn.

"Whats going on?" Cree wasn't sure what had happened when she fell. "Oh hello Aman." Cree looked to see that the two had locked eyes. Indeed there is something between them.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:53 PM   #34
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Silmaril

The day grew warm. Hamfast put on his best vest in his room, watching clouds roam the endless sea of the sky. Staring at the clouds like a boy, Hamfast pondered the shapes of the celestial marshmellows, recognising one of them as a muffin. Hamfast's stomach was, well, a bottom-less pit. Hamfast was not fat, however, as he used tons of energy on other things. Feeling like his tummy had become a black hole, Hamfast wondered down to get some food.

Feeling Eruisto wouldn't cross Hamfast's path for a while, as he seamed like a man who couldn't lose a bet, Hamfast scanned the Green Dragon for possible company. A man with as flagon seemed loansome. He looked shaggy like he had been living off the edge of the Shire, alone in a dark exsistance.

Hamfast walked over to the man stealthly. A voice in Hamfast's mind told him that he shouldn't interact with this man. But the way Hamfast saw it was that he could either meet the fellow and have some food, or sit over to a sable closer to the action...and see Ruby Brown. Hamfast's answer was almost instant. He walked over to the man.

"D'you mind if I sit here?" Hamfast said to the man. The man appeared to have been waking up. If he got no reply, Hamfast would sneak over to the kitchen and leave him. In an instant the man's groggy face turned to a smile.

"Not at all! I'm Fungrim! Please eat!" said the man. And Hamfast and Fungrim chatted about many things and enjoyed their day.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:53 AM   #35
Pyroclastic
Haunting Spirit

Pyroclastic has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Romenna twisted the knife subtly as she guided it along the piece of ash wood in her other hand. The sun smiled down upon her work. The air was fresh, smelling as it only did after the rain. She was seated on a bench outside the Green Dragon, enjoying the light of day.
"A knife hilt. What a curious thing for a woman to carve."

Romenna looked up from her carving. It took several seconds for her eyes to refocus after concentrating solely on her work for so long. A young Gondorian man stood before her, apparently on his way into the Green Dragon.
""Indeed, it would seem so. What woman would understand the balance needed for such a thing, unless she herself had great skill at the handling of them?"
She gave him a long and measured look. Swift as a chill, she drew a knife from the sheath on the small of her back and flung it to his left side. With a Thowock! The knife embedded itself into the pony hitching post behind him.

The young man looked at Romenna, then went and retrieved her knife. With a bow, he presented it to her.
"I am Delleth, a soldier of Gondor. Such skill undoubtedly has a story. Will you suffer me to buy you a drink, in exchange for a tale?"

"Indeed I will, Master Delleth," she replied, "Countrymen should always honor each other, especially so far from home."
Romenna accepted her knife from Delleth's outstretched hand, and together they entered The Green Dragon.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:39 AM December 27, 2003: Message edited by: Pyroclastic ]
Old 12-27-2003, 09:46 AM   #36
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A cool breeze made the leaves rustle around Elentari and Finduilas. The elf was happier than she had been in a long while, and longed to help any mortal she could. Iris, Finduilas’ friend from Bree, seemed to hide away from Finduilas while Elentari was in her company, and this made the elf think. Perhaps Iris was jealous of Finduilas’ new friendship, especially as Elentari was of the elven race. Yet Elentari could only think that Iris was the cause of the ill feelings in her mortal heart. She had driven Finduilas away by revealing her secret. Still, Elentari could not think ill of Iris, for she had seen much worse in people. Betrayal was often a word that sprung into Elentari’s mind at the mention of the race of Men. At least, that used to be how she thought, as a young Elf. But Elentari had since met many mortals, fought beside them… Even…

“I can hear a bird nearby,” said Finduilas unexpectedly. “Is it as beautiful as the song it sings?”

“Yes,” said Elentari laughing. She reached forward and held her hand out to the bird. It stepped onto her hand without even a questioning glance. “Hold out your hand, Finduilas.” Elentari brought her hand next to the girl’s, and whispered a few words to the bird in Elvish. It hopped onto Finduilas’ finger and began to sing again. A smile spread across Finduilas’ face and her unseeing eyes sparkled with delight.

“What does it sing about?” asked the Gondorian girl.

“She sings of love,” said Elentari, “the love that she has for her mate.” The song was so beautiful, that it even touched the heart of the elf. She remembered a song that she had heard once, and sung it in her clear and beautiful elvish voice.

O Orofarnë, Lassemista, Carnimírië!
O rowan fair, upon your hair how white the blossom lay!
O rowan mine, I saw you shine upon a summer’s day,
Your rind so bright, your leaves so light, your voice so cool and soft:
Upon your head how golden-red the crown you bore aloft!
O rowan dead, upon your head your hair is dry and grey;
Your crown is spilled, your voice is stilled for ever and a day.
O Orofarnë, Lassemista, Carnimírië!

“What a wonderful song,” said Finduilas. “It sounds to me as if it were written by a tree.” She paused, her cheeks becoming rosy-red. “You must think I’m stupid, saying something like that.”

“My young friend,” said Elentari kindly. “Why would I think of you of stupid for saying the truth?”

Finduilas’ blind eyes gazed in the direction of Elentari’s voice. “It cannot be! How could a tree write?”

“Not a tree,” Elentari laughed, “but a very tree-like creature known as an Ent! I have never met one, but they are an ancient race who dwell in Fangorn Forest.”

“I do not know anything about Ents,” said Finduilas.

“Then I shall teach you!” And so Elentari told Finduilas all she knew of the Ents, which she had mostly learned while she had dwelled in Rivendell.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:51 AM December 27, 2003: Message edited by: ElentariGreenleaf ]
Old 12-27-2003, 12:51 PM   #37
Melisil
Wight

Tolkien

Eruisto looked at Melisil, "I, well, I was wondering if you would mind telling me where you were from. I'm from Gondor, and though I passed in the general vicinity of Lothlorién and Rivendell, I couldn't see them. Could you tell me about your land?"

Melisil replied, "Certainly; And I am not offended. I am from the forest Mirkwood, now Eryn Lasgalen. My people have lived there for many years. For a while we were not there though, around the time of the ring war. Now, we have taken it back.

"I live with my family there, and we in turn live with other families. Many of my kind are leaving for the Grey Havens every day as you most probably know already." She paused, looked down at the table for a moment, thinking, then continued, talking slightly slower, "My family will probably not go there for a while... but they will still go... slowly." She continued, looking up again,

"For the last year I have been wandering Middle Earth. I stoped back at Eryn Lasgalen to see my family. After I left they gave me a letter to deliver to a Hobbit here in the Shire. I've delivered it now, and am unsure what I will be doing next." Melisil finished. She sat up straighter, her mind seemingly not in the bar anymore.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:22 PM   #38
Gird
Animated Skeleton

Gird has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Gird entered the inn, and looked about himself. He noticed, of course, a lot of hobbits, and also something that made him wonder, why are almost all of the elves and men wearing hoods and cloaks?

He looked up, and noticing a hood, realized that he himself was wearing a hooded cloak. He pulled it off quickly and threw it onto the floor in disgust. He hated being like everyone else.

He was the rebel fish in life. Swimming against the current, taking the hard route on purpose. This hadn't always been the greatest for him, as he made lots of mistakes.

But he was one, that could not be taught easily to change. He was the kind that learned only from mistakes he made himself. And, since he didn't take much advice from others, these mistakes happened often.

Indeed, he had learned alot.

"I am Ugluk, I command."
Ugluk
Old 12-27-2003, 02:52 PM   #39
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Lurealda was distracted just as he was about to speak to Aman by Cree, who was once more looking dangerously queasy, as if she was about to collapse again. His keen grey eyes watched the woman, darting from her face to her crow. Aman rolled her eyes and turned with a smile to the gentleman who was approaching the bar. He suddenly paused, looked around and...flung his cloak to the floor. As an afterthought, he stamped on it.

Aman regarded him sidelong as he approached the bar (it is a talent barkeepers and Innkeepers everywhere have of being to view sidelong at customers whilst, for all the evidence, looking straight at them. He caught her gaze and smiled back, then frowned as a thought seemed to strike him. Bearing in mind what had happened last time a thought seemed to strike him like that, Aman intervened with his thoughts quickly.

"Good day, sir, and welcome to the Dragon - can I get you anything?"
Old 12-27-2003, 03:52 PM   #40
Gird
Animated Skeleton

Gird has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Gird looked up once more to see the smiling face of the innkeeper. "Oh, hullo, good day to you too." he replied,"hmm, could I please get a pint of warm milk?" "Oh, ok, of course" she said, with somewhat of a curious look on her face.

He walked over to the bar and took a seat on a bar stool. He absent-mindedly dropped some coins on the bar, unaware of the actual price of his drink.

Gird spun around on his stool and looked around the room some more. He looked at some hobbits drinking and having a merry time. It was then that he saw their feet. They were furry!

Until then, he had only heard stories of their feet, and he could scarcely imagine how incredibly furry they were. He stared at them, thinking to himself about if they just let the foot hair grow, would it get longer and longer, and would you be able to knit a permanent pair of socks with their own hair? Or other thoughts, such as 'are hobbits born with hairy feet?' or 'do the women have hairy feet too?' and finally the most ridiculous, 'I wonder if when a hobbit gets old and bald, does he make a wig out of his foot hair and wear it on his head?'

And on he thought...

"I am Ugluk, I command."
Ugluk