The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #681
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Good Day everyone!

Its been ages since I've been by here. Good to see some old names as well as some new ones!

News here is life has changed drasticly over the last few years. Shortly after the time I helped start the 'Lingering Darkness' RP, I had to basicly retire from it due to a deteriorating domestic situation. Since then, the kids are grown, with my youngest graduating from high school this June, and I've seperated, tried reconciling, then gotten divorced. Now I'm together with an old friend who used to post here as Elora. This year I've moved from the Pacific Northwest to Brisbane, Australia and am currently jumping through immigration hoops. Everything is looking good, and life is good! I have a lot of back-reading to do I guess , but maybe everyone could post a summary of how they're doing?

Cheers Barrow Folk!
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:32 AM   #682
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Hi there, Snowdog! Good to hear from you again. I do hope you'll be able to adjust well to your new situation - never too late to teach an old (Snow)dog new tricks, eh?! Please do say "hi" to Elora.

I'm still around and active; we're doing a re-run of the Chapter-by-Chapter LotR discussions, so you might enjoy joining us there. There's also a discussion of the BBC dramatization going on, with Brian Sibley visiting to tell us about his experiences producing it.

In real life Tolkien community goings-on, I'm preparing a lecture on the musical instruments of Middle-earth for the German Tolkien Society's seminar in April - a fascinating topic, though there is very little research material on it.

As to private interests, well, I'm practicing piano for a concert in November and have begun sewing a new quilt wall hanging. No need for me to "get a life" - I think I have several of them, but unfortunately I didn't get multiple allocations of the 24 hours each of them needs...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #683
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
So Esty, how did the piano concert go?

Any other greybeards out there?

I'm pondering doing the forest-themed interior decorating I always wanted to do. If I can't actually have a flet I want to pretend I'm in (or on) one by all the leaves and branches surrounding me.

Snowdog, I and my ranger-husband and our two hobbits are doing quite well. My sister Raefindel is around, and planning to come east (WOOT WOOT!!!) and she and I will spend some girl-time. Er, elf-lady time. I do think of myself as a hobbit, but with such fallohidish blood I fool myself sometimes into thinking I'm a short elf. If that sounds a bit confused, my husband would agree with you...

--mark12_30 (Helen)
Old 12-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #684
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Dear me, what a nap we have had in here! So much has happened in the meantime.

My concert went well, Helen - thanks for asking! The lecture on music in Middle-earth has turned into a book project which I will be co-editing in the coming year. And I will be moving my rocking chair and all other belongings to a new location, so it will be awhile before I have time to sit down and relax again - though I plan to do so during the holidays, at least occasionally.

How are all of you spending the holidays? Gathering your family 'round the hearth?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 12-23-2008, 04:04 PM   #685
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Hello, my friends!

We had planned for family at my home for the Holiday but I'm afraid the weather may play a hand in previnting it.

It is as bad here as the Fell Winter of 2911! Indeed, I fear that since the creek has frozen, White Wolves may come across! I have my bow handy, just in case!
Old 12-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #686
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Hullo !

Hullo, Miss Rae and all ! Hope you all are well !
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #687
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Hail and wellmet, Samwise!

How are you? What are you up to?

I've set aside my trowel and exchanged my garden gloves for warmer gloves for the season.

We are experiencing what they are calling a "Historic Storm". I've had up to 18' of snow this week and was just out shoveling my way to the mailbox ,rather pointlessly, as the mailcarrier hasn't come in days.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #688
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up

Mae Govannen, Miss Rae ! Well, I am jobless at the moment, lost one job then got another and quit it to get a job with more hours, then lost THAT job. Sigh. Just finished a Psychology 1A class (and got an A !! Whoo HOO!) Will be taking more classes in January. Selling things on Ebay, and trying to get back into my counted cross stitch. Also enjoying a second nephew. My nephew Chris is 3 (August 23) and Niko just turned 1 (October 23). My mother and I watch Niko 1 and 1/2 days a week. He is into EVERYTHING !!! Positively keeps this old Hobbit running !
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 12-23-2008, 08:15 PM   #689
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Yes, you sent me Pics of the nephews. That's GREAT! Very handsome boys.

Sorry to hear about the job. I started working last year; was a stay-at-home mom for 14 years before that.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #690
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

VIsited the hospital today. Friend of mine named Todd just had a stroke. He needs his speech & also his right side to start working again. He has a wife and two boys: 1 high school, 1 college. Great guy. Since I see a couple of prayer warriors: he could use prayer.

I'm singing "What Child is This" solo tomorrow night. I was supposed to sing Jesu Bambino but I changed it at the last minute... the other one just wasn't sitting right.

Sam, congrats on your A in psych class!

How hard is it to sell things on ebay...?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #691
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Silmaril

Hullo, there. Sorry to hear about your friend. Will certainly pray. It's not too hard to sell on ebay. I've been doing it for several years. You win money sometimes and you lose some sometimes....those folks who say they "Make millions on ebay!" are far and few between if they exist at all...
Old 12-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #692
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Of Course We'll pray!

Best wishes on the solo!
Old 12-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #693
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Yes, I'm sure you'll do well. I used to enjoy singing solos in church.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #694
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Thanks! What are your holiday plans? We're going to head for the midwest..
Old 12-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #695
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Despite the fact that everyone has cancelled plans to come, I can say that we are all well and happy and will have a Merry Christmas anyway.

I feel sorry for my sister; she's snowed-in, alone in her tiny cabin, probablly crying.

Have a safe drive, Hellen.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 01-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #696
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

...and a happy New Year.

I am waxing nostalgic for some of the good old threads with the good old downers, and am tempted to go digging into aome archives. SO I thought I'd toss this one out:

For fun reading, here on the downs, what are your favorite old threads?
Old 04-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #697
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30

I am waxing nostalgic for some of the good old threads with the good old downers... For fun reading, here on the downs, what are your favorite old threads?
*cough* nobody has ANY?

Well, I like the lembas threads and the seasonal threads and... and... where's my rocker? Who took my rocker???

I guess I'll have some sleepytime tea, and discuss this with my pillow.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #698
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30

I am waxing nostalgic for some of the good old threads with the good old downers... For fun reading, here on the downs, what are your favorite old threads?
*cough* nobody has ANY?

Well, I like the lembas threads and the seasonal threads and... and... where's my rocker? Who took my rocker???

I guess I'll have some sleepytime tea, and discuss this with my pillow.
Gosh, I must have missed this while sipping on my Christmas punch or egg nog. (It definitely wasn't that mediocre tonic for iron poor blood that the doctors keep pushing on us old geezers.)

One of my favourite oldies was a goodie brought to us by She of The Blessed Long Name Easily Foreshortened Hobbit Sex Ed

*rocks a lil faster on her rocker thinking of the old time shenanigans and then gits up and offers a go-round to mark*
Old 04-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #699
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Top Tips

Agree Bethberry,

Maril's thread was inspired, beautifully written and achingly LOL-inducing!

A few that I often think of

The light in Frodo's face

Coffee!

Linguistic Puns, Riddles and Jokes in LoTR etc.

Of course the Epic Chapter by Chapter

also 'It feels different near the Shire' (my search-fu is weak)

For sheer 'awwwww' value Lalwende and Davem announce their engagement

And for the terrible guilty pleasure of looking at my favourite own post (off-colour though it be) Waste systems in Middle Earth

Last edited by Rumil; 04-16-2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typos typos everywhere
Rumil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #700
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Oh Boy, these are going to take me a while to read, I'm mean re-read.

Helen, don't you remember? We busted up your rocker and made walking sticks for our hike last summer and mine we made into a fire and roasted marshmallows over it. Well, OK, we tried, it was raining and we huddled in the Park Ranger's tent and ate our meager lunches.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #701
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Sorry for the lack of response - my rocker has changed its location since my last post. It's also pushed up to a computer screen, where I am finding out that producing a book is definitely more time-consuming than reading one!

Nonetheless, two of my favourite threads occur to me; here they are for your reading enjoyment:

If LotR had been written by someone else?
The One Ring?
Old 04-17-2009, 04:47 AM   #702
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Question

Locating the thread for Rumil: Littlemanpoet started it.

'It feels different near the Shire' http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5990

Last edited by mark12_30; 04-17-2009 at 03:59 PM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:59 AM   #703
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raefindel View Post
Oh Boy, these are going to take me a while to read, I'm mean re-read.

Helen, don't you remember? We busted up your rocker and made walking sticks for our hike last summer and mine we made into a fire and roasted marshmallows over it. Well, OK, we tried, it was raining and we huddled in the Park Ranger's tent and ate our meager lunches.
No Rocker?!? No Rocker?!?

*looks about for somebody sleeping in their rocker, so she can dump them onto the floor and sit down, but everyone is now suspiciously awake*

Maybe I'll just knock somebody out with my walking stick.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #704
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

No Worries, I"ve had new ones made and they're waiting in my yard, facing the creek, of course.

The kettle is on and the Elf is lonely for her friend.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #705
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

"Frodo's Sacrifice"

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5907
Old 04-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #706
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The Bridge at Khazad-Dum was always one of my favorites.

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=1690
Old 04-20-2009, 04:18 AM   #707
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Blast from the past with that Bridge thread, Mith -- that was a fun one!

Besides the ones mentioned, I'll add:

This post by Marileangorifurnimalium in Find your best location in Middle-earth. Most of the rest of the thread is talk about one of BW's site gadgets, but this post by Maril is a side-splitter. How I miss her! She was a treasure and no mistake.

Burglary, Pockets, and the Hobbit is a short but fun sample of that old time dry Downs humor.

And how could I neglect Squatter's legendary Curious evening in Oxford? I can't! It's remarkable not only for the Squatter's nocturnal adventure in the boneyard, but also for the birth of Travest-o-technology®.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #708
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

"LOTR and your Weltanschaung."
Old 03-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #709
Snowdog

Pipe

Its been 2 years since I last posted here, and nearly a year since anybody posted here. Thought I'd raise the dead by saying 'g'Day!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #710
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

g'day
Snowdog! How have you been? What have you been up to?
Old 03-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #711
Snowdog

Hey Rae! Been working, trying to figure out life's next move, and the biggie, residency, is done! Having a cuppa at afternoon break-time right now.

How's Washington state??? Folks tell me they are having an early spring this year, compared to a late spring last year.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #712
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

WooHoo! Congratulations on the residency!

Yes, we basically had no winter. It's been 50-60 degrees.

Life's been changing for me. My oldest is out of school and working for the county. Makes more than I do. Two more to go, have two girls in Jr High.

My Mother-in-law, who was once the bane of my existence, is mellowing as she looses her faculties and we are adding on to the house to accommodate her.

But the best part is we're building me a craft room. I'm attempting to make it as Elven as I can.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #713
Snowdog

Pipe

OOoohhhh an Elven craft room? Complete with forge to make rings???
Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #714
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Yes! Exactly! The walls are green of course and I'm thinking of painting a cool tree on one.

Actually I was trying to think of a Tolkien quote to paint on the walls. Of course, above the entry it will have to say "Speak friend, and Enter". I've been thumbing through the books trying to think of something appropriate. Any thought would be appreciated.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:21 AM   #715
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Rae, the one quote that I love best when it comes to crafts is "We put the thought of all that we love into all that we make." (spoken by an Elf in "Farewell to Lórien")
Old 03-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #716
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Oh, I love that!

How have you been, Estelyn?
Old 03-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #717
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I'm doing very well, Rae - thanks! The book Music in Middle-earth, to which I contributed a chapter as well as co-editing it and translating several of the essays, is now on the market. That leaves me with more time for other creative activities, mostly piano playing and quilt sewing - and for reading just for fun.

What will you be doing in your craft room?
Old 03-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #718
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

I'm a stamper (I make greeting cards) as well as theater props and backdrops.

I have a big Bible-time backdrop to get done and nowhere to work till my new shop is done.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #719
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
I remember being impressed with your greeting cards, Rae. I think I saw one or two here, some time back.

And I join you on the set brigade. Just worked on a huge truck yesterday doing the detail work, and am sore for it today. Nothing like that kind of work out for your peace of mind though! Does make you wanted to create a new environment for yourself by painting the walls at home. Have fun decorating your room!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #720
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Thank You, Hilde! I've got another week before I can start moving in and doing detail work.

I had no Idea you were a set designer, too. Cool!