The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2006, 05:32 PM   #2321
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Rune's!

Quote:
Lord Flashheart tweaked the Adder's beard. From now he always shall be single. To fall in love with boys is weird, Especially boys without a dingle.
You can't beat a bit of Blackadder.

Bob, short for . . . Kate!
Old 06-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #2322
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
You can't beat a bit of Blackadder.
You are absolutely right ! And therefore shall my next sig. also contain elements from Blackadder, it might even be a part of the song again.

I really love the song. . .

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:33 PM   #2323
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Leaf

I just noticed that Rose's siggie is from a Leonard Cohen song, Dance Me to the End of Love, which is sung spendidly by Madelaine Peyrout on her Careless Love album. Intriguing choice, Rose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose's siggie
Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin/Dance me through the panic 'til I'm gathered safely in
Lift me like an olive branch and be my homeward dove/Dance me to the end of love . . .
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:32 AM   #2324
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Thumbs up

I always love when people use Leonard Cohen and have done so my self a couple of times. I must say that I prefer when he sings the songs him self. . .

Old 06-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #2325
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
I love those high-pitched-noises-used-to-annoy-teens stories. And those teens-use-high-pitched-noises-to-send-messages-in-classrooms stories.

Cool bits. I approve.
Wow! I am so pleased! I can hear this sound and its truly horrible! This has made an aging lass very happy indeed. Perhaps I'm not aging quite so fast as I thought.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:55 AM   #2326
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
I always love when people use Leonard Cohen and have done so my self a couple of times. I must say that I prefer when he sings the songs him self. . .
Second... Or kind of. I used to have part of his Take this Waltz as my sig... One of the most beautiful lyrics I have ever heard...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:35 PM   #2327
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Wow! I am so pleased! I can hear this sound and its truly horrible! This has made an aging lass very happy indeed. Perhaps I'm not aging quite so fast as I thought.
Seconded - I was certain I would be too old for it and I can hear it just fine And I would not want to listen for long...... reminds me of Sayers' "The Nine Tailors"

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:02 AM   #2328
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
I heard the sound, and I am 46...............god it's good to be young again.......
Old 06-28-2006, 06:19 AM   #2329
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Doesn't take much to keep the old folk happy does it ..just the slightest hint we aren't totally decrepit yet.....

I would like to nominate Mattius's sig from "The Soldier", 'If I should die....." . I fell in love with Rupert Brooke when I was about 12 (setting an unfortunate precedent) and although he was terribly unfashionable and hated by my tutors did his war poems for my A level extended essay. Still fond of him after all these years....

Old 06-29-2006, 02:47 PM   #2330
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I admit it is better fun to punt than be punted, and that a desire to have all the fun is nine-tenths of the law of chivalry.
Lord Peter Wimsey

Nuranar's has the dual charms of the great Flim and punting... being lazy I didn't mind being punted and watching the trees pass by ...Gaudy Night is probably my favourite....great plot, complex issues and the culmination of the love story with a proposal in Latin on Magdalen bridge.... wonderful.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 07-01-2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:23 AM   #2331
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Ha-Ha!

mormegil has an interesting one. The question is, what will happen when they lose? I guess we might find out today.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #2332
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Prophetic words, Kuru...

So as to heed my own admonitions to post on-topic here and not chat, here's another of narfforc's amusing parody signatures:
Quote:
Bash nose with Battleaxe, Bash nose with Gin bottle, Bash nose with Grappling hook, Argh I burnt my hair with Krimpingtongs.
(Quite appropriate, perhaps, coming from an Englishman...)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:57 PM   #2333
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up Not usually one for blowing my own horn...

Read all about it! Read all about it! Evil Genius takes over world!

So, yeah, I've no exams anymore, so I think it's perfectly okay to start a Barrow Downs newspaper in my signature. All for say 'aye', all apposed say 'nay'.

Oh, and I think narfforc's is priceless! I'll buy it!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #2334
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Go for it Hookbill, but any chance of making it slightly bigger? Or is the small writing not really part of it?
Old 07-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #2335
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Hookbill! Aye! I approve.

But I can't read the stories. I wanted to read about how the evil genius lmp Ralf Insaneo was going to take over the world.

And I think I spotted something about the writers of ATM 2 as well, but couldn't make out the whole story.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:31 PM   #2336
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Go for it Hookbill, but any chance of making it slightly bigger? Or is the small writing not really part of it?
It would be bigger, but photobucet won't allow me to make it bigger for some reason.

Story One (Left)
New World Leader
By Chris Pritchard

Shock and awe were the only feelings felt this morning as it was revealed that in an over night movement, an Evil Genius (Pictured) took control of the entire world.
Owing to the recent absence of super hero's, the world's governments were powerless to resist his offer of compromise. I.E. "I will not destroy you all with this gun of Doom if you let me be ruler of the world." In the interests of international security, The Barrow Wight had to submit, despite being reluctant onto the end, saying in a statement, "All I can say is that they all caved in too easily. I'd have challenged him to a gun fight."

Story Two (Right)
ATM II 'dramatic plot twists'
By Jeff Jeffing

According to leaked reports, the writers of the hit RPG, Assigned to Mordor 2, are planning some shocking and disturbing turns in narrative. With audiences only just recovering from the movement of Mount Zoom and the Barrow Wight making a guest Star appearance, at a recent press conference it was suggested that the character of Roggie will turn out to be having wing coinciding and that the widely detested Dwarf Smilog will be having an unfortunate encounter with Santar once again.
The Show's producer, Fea, has so far yet to comment.

What do you think of the other Headline, "'Why can't I be King' asks Phantom"?
Old 07-03-2006, 01:43 PM   #2337
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
What do you think of the other Headline, "'Why can't I be King' asks Phantom"?
Couldn't be any better.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:28 PM   #2338
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Lovely, Hookbill. Can't wait to see more.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:26 PM   #2339
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Yeah that is brilliant Hookbill.

Eomer have you had your: Reality is overrated, sig. for a long time?

If not I find it creepy, that I was thinking about changing my to more or less the same thing!

Old 07-04-2006, 06:46 AM   #2340
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Great minds, Rune. It was actually spawned when I was bored out of my mind at work one day (how many great ideas come from a similar origin?) in a drawing I did at a till.

It's just a shame that you couldn't get the full force of the original picture from my signature, seeing how the words are truly accentuated by being spoken by a duck in a top hat. Ah, imagination!
Old 07-04-2006, 06:50 AM   #2341
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Love it, Eomer.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #2342
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I've edited the picture so that it now is big enough to read.
Enjoy!

By the way, Eomer, I agree.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #2343
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Hookbill, you just made my day!
Old 07-04-2006, 12:13 PM   #2344
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Thanks Hookbill! Most amusing it is too, please do continue it.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #2345
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I must say I enjoy Firefoot's day-appropriate sig...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #2346
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Firefoot, I love it! I'd forgotten that particular bit of cross-Atlantic banter. Must go find it now for a bit of reminiscing...

Ah, found the comment that sparked TGWBS's classic response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Oh no, m'boy. You've got it all wrong. It's the day the US officially declared that we were going to beat you Brits. We celebrate it with brightly colored explosives and a lot of fried chicken.
Ah, the memories... Can't believe my first stint as a wolf was an entire year ago.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 07-04-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:31 PM   #2347
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

why Fea, why? I cannot belive you put that link in your sig. It is one of the most annoying things I have ever seen !

Old 07-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #2348
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Fea that is horrific. I think I am scarred for life.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:46 PM   #2349
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Aww, you lot didn't like the song and dance routine?
Old 07-04-2006, 09:31 PM   #2350
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

That's seriously one of the strangest things I've seen in my life.

As for this lovely quote... tgwbs has the honor of having made it into my quote book. Can't forget quotes like this.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:40 PM   #2351
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Haha... Fea, that was awesome. Except I wanted to murder those other two unicorns.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:48 AM   #2352
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Encai, love, I tried to support our dear professor, but since you started the group, I'm pretty sure that only people at your school can join. *sniff*
Old 07-05-2006, 09:51 AM   #2353
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Yes, Kit brought this to my attention. I didn't know people from other schools couldn't join, which bites because there don't seem to be Tolkien fans in abundance at Potsdam...
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:16 AM   #2354
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Firefoot - That wasn't officially intended as a compliment. None the less, I approve of the honour bestowed upon me.

Fea - don't change siggy. I will find a way to watch that! Anything that sparks so much debate is worth seeing.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:30 AM   #2355
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Aww, you lot didn't like the song and dance routine?
The song and dance routine might be so outrageously overdone that it is amusing. But the ending is by far the most hilarious portion. The poor, poor kidney. Awesome sig/link, Fea.
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #2356
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
That wasn't officially intended as a compliment.
But I, with my fantastic sense of humor, took it as one anyway...

I love CoD's. French people... so much fun to poke fun at.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:53 AM   #2357
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Firefoot, I love it. Simply love it! I can't stop laughing! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! No, seriously, I can't stop!!

EDIT: Okay Fea, i got to watch it (finally) and I must say...WHAT!?!? The best part was definetly the kidney. Oh my! Oh... I can't stop laughing again..

Last edited by Glirdan; 07-05-2006 at 10:59 AM.
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:51 AM   #2358
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Firefoot I was ready to kill you when that thing threatened to start over for the third time, but then I sent it to friends, who were even more annoyed, and now I love you for it

Fea - that thing just won't set up on my computer. I'll watch it one day!
Old 07-05-2006, 12:08 PM   #2359
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I know this is kinda of topic, but I have a picture stored in My Pictures that I would love to put a link on and put it in my sig. Since I see others can do it, would you mind helping me out?
Old 07-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #2360
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Fea- Oddly enough, I found that video extremely hilarious. Pity though, it seems you've already changed it.....

It seems I've decided to join the bandwagon and put a link on my siggy as well....

Quote:
I know this is kinda of topic, but I have a picture stored in My Pictures that I would love to put a link on and put it in my sig. Since I see others can do it, would you mind helping me out?
Valier, you can't put a link on something from your files, but if you use a picture from the web, all you have to do is press the hyperlink button up top. Looks like this: