The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2004, 05:53 AM   #1
Adeline

Tolkien where online can we go to get Tolkiens elvish dictionary?

i've been looking everywhere for a dictionary so i can learn elvish but i have yet to find one. i have found other dictionaries but on the screen they always put that it isn't Tolkiens dictionary or language. so i really need it if any of you could help.
thanks [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2004, 06:15 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Language questions are handled on the Novices and Newcomers forum, so I'm moving this thread there. I don't have time to search for links right now, but try a search on the N&N forum, using "Elvish" or "language" - there should be several threads with more information. Oh, and welcome to the Downs, Adeline! Hope you enjoy yourself here!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:18 AM January 14, 2004: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 06:52 AM   #3
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Tolkien never wrote a dictionary for any of his languages. He did write a lot about the subject, but that's dissipated throughout The History of Middle-Earth, which covers the period c.1915-1973. As one might expect, he made a lot of changes to all of his tongues during that time, even after the publication of The Lord of the Rings. I suspect that all of the various courses available on the web are based on the HoME, so they're probably the quickest way to acquire some conversational Sindarin.

If you really want to do things the hard way, I suggest beginning with the vocabulary in the back of The Silmarillion and working your way into HoME with care, bearing in mind that the earlier vocabularies and etymologies have been superseded. Other useful sources are the poems in Sindarin and Quenya for which Tolkien provided translations, several of which are contained in his lecture and essay A Secret Vice. This concerns the whole subject of invented languages and is published as part of a collection called 'The Monsters and the Critics' and Other Essays (HarperCollins, 1997).

All I can say in conclusion is 'Good luck'.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:20 AM   #4
Alchisiel
Haunting Spirit

Location: At The Golden Perch enjoying the best pint in the East Farthing!
Alchisiel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I have found (actually stumbled upon would be a better word) a website that offers free courses you can take to learn elvish, entish, or even the black speech. Hope this helps. http://www.uib.no/people/hnohf/
Old 01-15-2004, 03:52 AM   #5
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mae govannen, Adeline! Welcome to the 'Downs...

Good luck... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] though you won't be able to find a complete Sindarin or Quenya dictionary entirely by Tolkien, because he never made one. All of Tolkien's languages are incomplete; that's probably why most of the stuff you find are improvisations.

There's this other site I know about, but I'm not sure if there's a rule about endorsing other sites here in the B-D's, so I'll just send you a PM [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]