The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2004, 07:53 PM   #1
Raptor

The Eye Faramir and Eowyn in the Fourth Age?

Does anybody know what happened to Faamir and Eowyn during the 4th age? I know that they were married and became the Prince and Princess of Ithelien, but what happened after that does anybody know?

[renamed thread title to something concrete. Sharkû]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:11 AM February 06, 2004: Message edited by: Sharkû ]
Old 02-05-2004, 08:12 PM   #2
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Tolkien

Well, I can't tell you much but they had at least one kid - they had a grandson Barahir who was said to have written the full Tale of Aragorn and Arwen (Prologue to LotR). That's all I know.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:12 PM February 05, 2004: Message edited by: Firefoot ]
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 08:52 PM   #3
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Faramir remained Steward of Gondor, and was made Prince of Ithilien. Eowyn became Princess. They had a child named Elboron, who had a son called Barahir.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 09:54 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Faramir "moved" to Emyn Arnen, along with his own Guard (a member of which was Beregond), and presumably was Aragorn's steward. He might have also rode out with Aragorn when the latter rode with Eomer to vanquish the remaining Haradrim, but he could have also remained behind to help govern Gondor in the King's absence.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 07:20 PM   #5
Raptor

The Eye

Thank you! That was what I was looking for.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:20 PM   #6
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Where did you find out about Elboron? I've never heard of them before.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:10 AM   #7
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Quote:
Originally posted by Orominuialwen
Where did you find out about Elboron? I've never heard of them before.
In Chris Tolkein's History of Middle-Earth, there is mention of Elboron, heir of Faramir and lord of Ithilien. It is unsure of whether or not this was actually his name, but it seems credible. The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen was supposedly written by Barahir, Elboron's son, Steward of Gondor under King Eldarion Telcontar and Prince of Ithilien.

Old 02-17-2004, 01:13 PM   #8
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks! I probably just haven't gotten to that part of HoME yet.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:25 PM   #9
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

I warn you, Orominuialwen, it's not out in the open. Only fleeting reference is made to Elboron. I don't have my copy of HoME handy, so I can't say where it is exactly. If you want to find it, you really have to dig around in there a lot. As I said, it's not assured that Elboron is the name of Faramir and Eowyn's son, but it seems to fit. The Fourth Age was apparently inherited by people with the suffix El- in their names. Elfwine the Fair rules Rohan, Eldarion rules the Reunited Kingdom, and this Elboron possibly controls Ithilien.

Old 02-18-2004, 02:23 AM   #10
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I haven't read that far in HoME either, but I do have the index on my bookshelf. The reference to Elboron, son of Faramir (there are several others uses of that name), is in Volume 12, The Peoples of Middle-earth.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:24 PM   #11
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Most of HoME is taken from notes and side scribbles and pieces of backstory and add-ons and ealier versions of what was published initially. I guess there is value in publishing such, but it seems more a way for CT to squeeze every last buck out of Tolkien fanatics.

I think the whole story of Faramir and Eowyn in the beginnings of the fourth age would make a book in itself if it was fully fleshed out.

Last edited by Snowdog; 05-13-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:19 AM   #12
eowyntje
Animated Skeleton

eowyntje has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finwe
Faramir "moved" to Emyn Arnen, along with his own Guard (a member of which was Beregond), and presumably was Aragorn's steward. He might have also rode out with Aragorn when the latter rode with Eomer to vanquish the remaining Haradrim, but he could have also remained behind to help govern Gondor in the King's absence.
How extremely interesting
Could you tell me a bit more about this?
When did Aragorn and Eomer ride out to vanquish the Haradrim? what happened?

((hope you don't mind me updating this topic, I'm new and i have no idea how strickt you are on bringing new life to old topics.))

Last edited by eowyntje; 04-10-2005 at 02:14 AM.
eowyntje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 04:28 PM   #13
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

At the end of part II of Appen. A (aren't I a dweeb to start a sentence like that?), it says that Éomer renewed the Oath of Eorl...
Quote:
Often he fulfilled it. For though Sauron had passed, the hatreds and evils that he bred had not died, and the King of the West had many enemies to subdue before the White Tree could grew in peace. And whenever King Elessar went with war King Éomer went with him; and beyond the Sea of Rhûn and on the far fields of the South the thunder of the calvary of the Mark was heard, and the White Horse upon Green flew in many winds until Éomer grew old.
So maybe not "vanquishing", but beating some kind of battles against them.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:20 PM   #14
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

I doubt that Faramir would have gone with Aragorn and Eomer. It was the Stewards job to rule/administer and protect the city while the King was gone, or if until one returned. We see Mardil not go out with Earnur when he rides out to challenge the WK. The stewards took their duties very seriously, they were to sit at the throne and rule the city until the king would return, not to ride off into battle and leave the throne untended.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:18 PM   #15
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Oops, you're right of couse Boromir88. Silly me...
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #16
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Do you think that King Aragorn may have assigned Faramir any military duties in the field while he was not out in the field himself? He was in the service of the King. I never pictured the Stewards just sitting around when the King was in town.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote