The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2004, 02:54 PM   #41
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Pipe

The trees, for some reason, only get really talkative around me when I'm coming back late from some shady shindig.

Hardy har har.

Actually, I seriously do believe that the trees are able to communicate, and have moods, just like any other living beings. The Druids must have had something right.

Or maybe I really am that shady in combination with having read a lot of Tolkien.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:40 PM   #42
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Southern Ents would sound like, "Hoom hom! I ain't gonna be hasty...turn round, I want a look at y'all. Hey, y'all sho' 'nuff look like orc young'uns to me!"

This is kind of a wierd topic to me, but it reminded me of something I read about the Lord's Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem.

Quote:
Luke 19: 37-40 And when he was come nigh, even now at the descent of the mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen; Saying, Blessed be the King that cometh in the name of the Lord: peace in heaven, and glory in the highest.

And some of the Pharisees from among the multitude said unto him, Master, rebuke thy disciples.

And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.
[emphasis added]
Old 03-24-2004, 07:42 PM   #43
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Ahhhh...sweet oblivion to the real world. How I love it. And dread when I must return to my non-existant "life".

When I feel this way I too often remember Puddleglum's words:
Quote:
Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things - trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself...Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones...And that's a funny thing, when you think about it. We're just babies making up a game if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world that licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play-world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it.
The play-world does lick the real world hollow, and the made-up things do seem so much more important than the real things...

How can you miss something you've never seen? I do so long for Elves, and it's another of Lewis' arguments that God wouldn't have made us with a longing that can't be fulfilled.

Personally, I've resently decided that elves are angels. And in one of Paul's episle's he says that people have entertained, like given food and/or lodging to, angels without knowing it.

I still cling to the hope that someday I'll see my elf. Who knows, maybe my guardian angel has pointy ears...

One time I was wondering around a patch of trees near my house and came upon a hole through some bushes that looked so magical, so entrancing. My heart started beating harder. I tried so hard to stifle the hope that it was some gateway to Middle-earth. Obviously, since I'm writing this it didn't work, but still...
...Still round the corner there may wait a hidden door or secret gate
And though I pass them by today tomorrow I may come this way
And take the hidden pathes that run West of the Moon, East of the Sun...
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 05:27 PM   #44
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Exactly Elianna! You hit the nail on the head! Since we apparently *can't* have a world with elves, hobbits, etc., might as well imagine it. And I'd rather have those imaginings than real life any day. Although I'm still holding out for a secret passageway myself
Old 07-17-2005, 10:25 AM   #45
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Up!

Here's a little something with which to stir this pot.....

"Better Clear it with the Elves First"

What do you make of that, doubters?
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 10:57 AM   #46
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Here's a little something with which to stir this pot.....

"Better Clear it with the Elves First"

What do you make of that, doubters?
Seems perfectly rational to me. I've seen a few Elves (or Faeries) myself, at least one of which I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of.

Still, theres no harm in them...... (as we're traditionally supposed to say)
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:21 PM   #47
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thanks for upping this thread, lmp! Interesting article... now feel like I want to visit Iceland.

It's interesting to see that a lot of us do believe in things we can't explain or even see. Sometimes I see things out of the corner of my eye -- this might be the product of an overactive imagination, but I don't think so.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 03:51 PM   #48
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I saw a Boggart in my house not very long ago. He was crouching on the top of a set of shelves in the bedroom as I approached the door. He saw me and quickly slipped down to the floor and went to hide. He was only little, probably only two foot tall, and was a skinny, old looking little Boggart, who seemed harmless, and I didn't feel surprised to see him there.

There was one of the creatures near my parents' house, possibly homeless as his old house had been knocked down. This was a half-timbered hall where my Grandmother was a servant; she said every night the Boggart used to fill up any buckets left out by the well.

The oddest thing I experienced, which had little to do with creatures or beings from the underworld, was that as my grandfather died, he knocked on the window of my parents' house, which he had been born in. My father was with him as he died, and when we later told him about the knock on the window he calmly said that it was Grandad, and that it always happened when somebody died in the family.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:56 PM   #49
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White Tree <-- Never prune this tree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush
Actually, I seriously do believe that the trees are able to communicate, and have moods, just like any other living beings. The Druids must have had something right.
Today I arrived home and there were some workmen for a tree-service there, the kind that prunes the trees for you or (gasp) removes them. There was an odd breeze stirring and shaking up the branches of the trees as I got out of the car, and I got the distinct feeling that they were very displeased...
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:56 PM   #50
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Poor trees! They must have thought they were going to get chopped down.

Did you hear anything along the lines of "Down with the tree killer!"?

I will confess that when I have to prune branches on our two trees, I try to reassure them that they will feel much better without a lot of smaller branches to get broken in storms.

Btw, I enjoyed the first line of your last post, Encaitare! It gave me a mental picture of jean-clad workmen trying to explain to Undomiel & Elessar that they have a work order to trim up the White Tree.
Alphaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:45 PM   #51
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
Once I have been in a camping trip in the mountains and there was one night when the sky was literally covered with stars and there was more silver up there than blue. I had a strange feeling then, as if I had become aware of something being there with us, someting ancient and wise. The feeling lasted only a few seconds and I have totally forgotten about it, until today, when I started reading this thread. Now that may have been only my imaginaton-it runs a little wild, sometimes -but-who knows?- I might have felt the last of the Firstborn near me.