The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #2281
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Swallowing pills.
I used to have trouble with that, I found that drinking through a straw can help.

Quote:
...realising that you are living Groundhog Day on a grand timescale, that you aren't learning from experience and are making just about the same mistakes without the excuse of the foolishness of youth. In fact you are getting sillier and less perceptive.
UGH seconded.

I'd also like to assign tendonitis. I've lost most of the muscle mass on my right arm, can't do much anything practical with it, and am getting frustrated at work from seeing things that need to be done but cannot do.

And on top of that, I am continually reminded that it's something that happens mainly to people living well past my time of life.

Stand up straight, kids! Don't trust your body, it hates you!

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:52 AM   #2282
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
I assign three tests in one day. One week is not enough time to learn a whole chapter of Chinese and a month's worth of international politics!
Old 11-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #2283
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
UGH seconded.
Since I was your age when I wrote this old diary, I'd say you can still plead youth

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #2284
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfchick7 View Post
I assign three tests in one day. One week is not enough time to learn a whole chapter of Chinese and a month's worth of international politics!
I think you'd hate it more if you had three tests, two of them your major subjects, on your birthday. But that's part of being a student... my dad always tells me, there'll come a point in my life that I'd be laughing about exams.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #2285
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Every single one of my final exams this semester are on the same day. I can't wait...
Old 11-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #2286
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Just ... just having a bad day, being shouted at for no real reason, being belittled. I thought I'd got over this earlier but I guess not.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #2287
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Being the only member here on the Downs. It is an eery feeling knowing that you're alone.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:35 AM   #2288
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Being the only member here on the Downs. It is an eery feeling knowing that you're alone.
Groin, it's just because you're online at 3am when all the sensible people sleep (or usually sleep would maybe be more truthful, but anyway )...

Since I'm chatting here, I might have to assign something. The problem is that I don't feel very unhappy right now. But maybe the recent problems in the internet accesses all over Finland do deserve a nomination...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #2289
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Groin, it's just because you're online at 3am when all the sensible people sleep (or usually sleep would maybe be more truthful, but anyway)...
It was only seven o' clock here in Texas! Are you saying that we aren't sensible? Because if you are you are calling all Americans sensless, which would make all the sensible people be in Europe (a scary thought)! How insulting can you get Thinlomien?

I assign people who twist other peoples words.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #2290
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign dirty dishes being left in the sink. Not necessarily just dishes that aren't clean, but dishes that have stuff lurking on them, such as plastic wrap.

Because once in a while it's fine to clean up after the people you live with, but who wants to reach into a sink with kidney beans clogging the drain to try to get plastic that's become covered in whatever was in the standing water--

*gags*

I hate living with people who are less tidy than me.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #2291
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
It was only seven o' clock here in Texas! Are you saying that we aren't sensible? Because if you are you are calling all Americans sensless, which would make all the sensible people be in Europe (a scary thought)! How insulting can you get Thinlomien?

I assign people who twist other peoples words.
What about Africa? Or Asia? Or Oceania? Or Antarctica with the penguins?
I assign people who forget world outside the Western World does exist.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #2292
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I will assign a very much uninvited guest I am presently hosting: influenza.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #2293
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I assign people who forget world outside the Western World does exist.
Wow, I have been indirectly assigned to Mordor twice now. Wait, Europe is part of Western Civilization.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:01 PM   #2294
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Hmph. Same here. I'd not be surprised if someone had painted a red cross on our front door, not that I've been out of it since Friday night...
Old 11-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #2295
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'd assign having to come home from vacation. Even with a sprained foot. (And boy, am I grateful I didn't react to the flu shot I had three days before we left. )

On a corollary, I would also assign having to go in for a cholesterol blood draw three days after said vacation. The draw itself is bad enough (one of those things they always want to do at the crack of dawn), but with it coming three days after a lot of meals that were not the usual diet, I just know things will be out of whack.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #2296
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
What about Africa? Or Asia? Or Oceania? Or Antarctica with the penguins?
*cough*or Australia*cough*

...And I will second Ibrin in assigning blood tests to Mordor. My arm's still bruised....
Old 11-11-2008, 04:57 AM   #2297
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I assign the 'Guitar Hero' X-Box game. I was over a friends house and watched his teenage son play the game for a few hours. As a lifelong guitarist, what got me is that, rather than wasting time on the game, Junior could have spent the time actually learning to play a real guitar, and perhaps...oh, I don't know...get a girlfriend?
Old 11-11-2008, 07:05 AM   #2298
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
*cough*or Australia*cough*
I doubt this will make it any better for you, but I count Australia as a part of Oceania...

I assign wet socks. It's ridiculous how uncomfortable such a little thing is.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #2299
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Same here. And on the first day of second semester, I had to come to class with a very red nose and a bag of tissue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron
I assign the 'Guitar Hero' X-Box game. I was over a friends house and watched his teenage son play the game for a few hours. As a lifelong guitarist, what got me is that, rather than wasting time on the game, Junior could have spent the time actually learning to play a real guitar, and perhaps...oh, I don't know...get a girlfriend?
Now that reminds me of a line from Love Actually, even ugly musicians manage to find girlfriends. But seriously, I don't think thinking too much about that game and its likes is a pleasant one... personally, it makes me kinda depressed, seeing kids playing quasi-drums and guitars and their ears and fingers don't get to appreciate making their own music.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:38 AM   #2300
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
Pfft - real guitar hurts! My brother is learning to play it and I had a go and my fingers went numb! I'd choose Guitar Hero any day.

I assign regrets, nasty things they are, creeping up on you when you don't expect it!
Old 11-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #2301
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Pfft - real guitar hurts!
Ah, but there is a an unforseen benefit to playing guitar (other than as a magnet for the opposite sex): you get calluses on your fingertips, which is really important for the macho putting-out-lit-candles-with-your-fingers ploy. I have never been hurt once.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #2302
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Some of play Guitar Hero AND have girlfriends.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #2303
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Ah, but there is a an unforseen benefit to playing guitar (other than as a magnet for the opposite sex): you get calluses on your fingertips, which is really important for the macho putting-out-lit-candles-with-your-fingers ploy. I have never been hurt once.
I have to agree, that sounds incredibly manly. Maybe I'll take up the guitar after all.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #2304
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sorry boys

but that isn't actually impressive.

Even my superfine, celtic, non callused bare fingertips can put out a candle without pain (you just have to lick them first). Though it is very much in the category of things that I can do but don't since you can either blow them out or use the snuffer.

And personally the guitar is a huge turn off*.... main problem is that just about every man thinks he can play it and very few of them can... the piano now

*I am prepared to make an exception for Alex Kapranos

Last edited by Mithalwen; 11-11-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #2305
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
And personally the guitar is a huge turn off*
Ditto. I still have tragic memories of a guy trying to seduce me with promises to play me Red Hot Chile Peppers songs with an acoustic.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #2306
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Guitars are just the modern day equivalent of wielding a ruddy big sword.

I'd generally assign those sorts of games like Guitar Hero and these dancing things where you have to hit the buttons in the right order and at high speed anyway....because I'm rubbish at them. And the tracks on GH are cheesey.

I assign when your nostrils are so sore from blowing your nose that you can't touch them without crying.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #2307
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Ditto. I still have tragic memories of a guy trying to seduce me with promises to play me Red Hot Chile Peppers songs with an acoustic.

Oh dear.. could have been worse .. maybe *thinks bad folk duo in Four Weddings and a Funeral singing "I can't smile without you"*

Old 11-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #2308
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Oh dear.. could have been worse ..
He was the best friend of the guy I'd just broken up with.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #2309
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Maybe not then.... although if we are going to get competitive being the best friend of your post grad course's man magnet was jolly ... and knowing that every time a new guy spoke to you the third question would be "Is Amanda seeing anyone?"

Old 11-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #2310
Eönwė
Flame Imperishable

Eönwė is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwė is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwė is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė View Post
I assign when your nostrils are so sore from blowing your nose
Seconded. Just managed to recover from that.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #2311
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
knowing that every time a new guy spoke to you
Knowing that every time a new guy speaks to you, his intentions are probably dirty filthy naughty.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #2312
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
And personally the guitar is a huge turn off*.... main problem is that just about every man thinks he can play it and very few of them can...
That may be so, but from personal experience I have yet to meet a member of a band who did not have a date after the show.

Crass and boorish, I know, but when one is not blessed with James Bondish savoir-faire and good looks, one exploits one's abilities as best they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
Guitars are just the modern day equivalent of wielding a ruddy big sword.
Touche. And I am just as fascinated by a well-crafted sword as I am a beautifully-wrought guitar; in fact, I begin to drool when seeing a patinaed Martin acoustic or a well-worn Fender Telecaster (my weapons of choice). Maybe I just drool because I am a brutish man. Ugggh.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #2313
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Oh dear.. could have been worse .. maybe *thinks bad folk duo in Four Weddings and a Funeral singing "I can't smile without you"*
Hmm, if you want to go that way, I would assign "The Wedding Song (There Is Love)." I've been performing for weddings as an instrumentalist and/or singer (even composer) since that song was written, and I loathed it the first time I heard it. But just about every single bride wants it, and I can't understand it for the life of me. There are so many other songs with nicer tunes and lyrics that make more sense, but do they pick those? No.....

And I fear posting my feelings about "Guitar Hero" would violate forum rules.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #2314
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrīnišilpathānezel View Post
And I fear posting my feelings about "Guitar Hero" would violate forum rules.
I assign trying to play Guitar Hero and having your friend's twelve year old brother look at you pityingly and tell you how bad you are at it.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #2315
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
To counter some attacks on the male gender (), I assign living in an all girls suite. Too lacking in testosterone. Yes, I'm serious.

And personally a ruddy big sword has its attraction...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #2316
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
I very much agree.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #2317
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
I am prepared to make an exception for Alex Kapranos
Ah, but he is clever with it, innit?
I assign guitar solos, as we are on the subject. I have no problem with guitars, men, women or goats playing guitars....but solos are tiresome in the extreme.

But chiefly, and the reason I am here tonight, is to assign finger wounds.
Specifically, slicing savoy cabbage with a very sharp knife while watching Strictly Come Dancing, and cutting right through the thumb and nail, vertically, about half an inch down.
My parents were staying and both are doctors, so I didn't have to go to casualty, they could deal with it on the spot. Bloody lucky really because everyone else in the house was just jumping around going "yuk, ew, argh".
Oh and because there are so many nerve endings in the fingers you go into shock when you wound them. As I did. For most of the evening. *shudder*
Old 11-11-2008, 04:23 PM   #2318
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
But chiefly, and the reason I am here tonight, is to assign finger wounds.
Specifically, slicing savoy cabbage with a very sharp knife while watching Strictly Come Dancing, and cutting right through the thumb and nail, vertically, about half an inch down.
Oh, I'll second that one, and third, and fourth it. I did something quite similar a few days before Christmas last year, and it's only the most recent in a series of such incidents between me and instruments with edges. I've sliced off the tip of a finger with a rotary cutter, snipped the webbing between fingers with industrial shears, punched clear through nail and finger with sewing machines at least three times (of course the needle broke on the way back out, not in), had a rusty needle lodge itself until a fingernail while packing up my late mother's sewing supplies... Yes, finger injuries are incredibly painful, and I'm hard put to decide if the pain of the wound was worse than the pain of the novocaine injections on the palm of the hand and between the fingers. I understand your family's feelings of "eewh" quite well. And you were lucky to have skilled help on hand. In the rotary cutter incident, I had to wrap up the hand, clench it into a fist to keep pressure on the wound and hold it over my head while driving one-handed to the emergency room (the nearest of which was about 15 miles away). Maybe it's not such a bad thing that I don't a lot of sewing, these days...
Old 11-12-2008, 04:45 AM   #2319
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
That may be so, but from personal experience I have yet to meet a member of a band who did not have a date after the show.
An aspect which Guitar Hero strangely ignores...

(No, I have never played it, but my cousins do.)

Anyway, I certainly can't complain about the strange attraction us girls have to musicians... otherwise I doubt my parents would have got together at all.

Lalaith and Ibrin.... Owwww. That's all I can say...

Last edited by Nerwen; 11-12-2008 at 04:49 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:11 AM   #2320
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
This may well be true. I know of some women who will give any muso a chance on the grounds that they should have a sense of rhythm and be good with their hands.

I hear you sister

Fea - some people might assign that to the Shire

As for hand injuries .. I nearly fainted when I got a fine needle in my hand - exsquiste pain - aggers. The bloodiest injury was probably when I gashed my wrist on a friends's central heating thermostat - rushing for my mobile I had tripped over the stairgate and catching may hand on this probably stopped me actually falling and breaking my neck. No medics on hand but friends military husband was not fazed by the blood and patched me up while I took the call (which I knew was life or death type urgent else I might not have been so clumsy).