The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Il Principe (of Beleriand...)

Well, we've seen Fordim's High King of the Noldor poll descend into a merciless melee over the morality of, in particular, Turgon's approach to government.

During the brawl Lalaith rather intriguingly told the Turgon-partigiani to "go back to their Machiavelli fansites"...and this could not help but make me think.

Let us imagine a minor scion of, let us say, Finwe's house, returning with the host of rebel Noldor, whether it be Feanor's lot or Fingolfin's. Setting up minor kingdoms is starting to become all the rage.

But this Noldorin prince has more wisdom than most. Using the works of his hands, he crafts a time-machine and takes a trip to 16th century Florence. There he buys and reads the work of Niccolo. Wait a mo, he says. This adan lord, Lorenzo il Magnifico, seems to be doing pretty well. I want a treatise! I want some advice!

But he finds Macchiavelli works only up to a point. His principles are sound, but he doesn't really comprehend the devastation caused by Orc armies, and he's never had to make deals with Elu Thingol.

So our hero the Noldorin prince-shall we call him Nilpaurion?-hops back into his time machine and goes forward a little further, to 21st century Oxford, let us say. He finds a computer, and being exceedingly cunning, intuits his way onto the internet. He finds the Barrow-Downs. And he consults us.

I wonder how we diverse Downers would advise him. He'll be wanting answers to pressing questions such as:

How do I best resist Morgoth?

How friendly should I be with Thingol?

How far should I co-operate with my valiant, elficidal jewel-seeking relatives?

What sort of site would be good for my kingdom?

Do I go for:
A The cave network approach
B The hidden city approach
C The enchanted forest approach
D The seaside haven approach
E The massive great try-this-for-size-Morgoth-old-chap fortress approach

What do I do about Dwarves and Men?

What sort of culture am I ideally aiming for?

Well, over to the floor, and let's see what the sages of the Barrow-Downs say. What should Nilpaurion do?

Macchiavelli-lovers are welcome, but also Romantics, and even Valar-cuddlers. I hope this debate throws up some interesting, revealing and educational results...or at least creates a little discord.