The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-26-2003, 04:58 PM   #1
Nevolosse Maehayanda
Pile O'Bones

Nevolosse Maehayanda has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Nevolosse Maehayanda Send a message via AIM to Nevolosse Maehayanda
Pipe Tolkien=Matchmaker?

There's Arwen and Aragorn. Faramir and Eowyn. Elrond and Celebrian. Just to name the ones mentioned in the Lord of the Rings.

Is Tolkien trying to find an easy way out? Or is it just his matchmaking heart calling? Or something else entirely?

Personally, I think that Tolkien was taking the easy way out. He didn't want to daddle his books on romance, so he took a political alliances. Imladris and Lotholrien. Gondor and Rohan.

Please post your ideas.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2003, 06:00 PM   #2
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I totally agree that Elrond/Celebrian was anarranged marriage for political alliance. I know that in the UT it says something a bit different, but who are we kidding?? I mean Lorien&Rivendell, two most powerfull strongholds of the elfs in ME, united. That cannot have been a marriage for love. If you ask me, Galadriel was behind that one. But that´s just my general opinion.

However, I do NOT agree on the other two.
Eowyn/Faramir is the cutest and most touching part in LotR and the best romance Tolkien ever wrote... okay, besides Beren and Lúthien. But apart from that. I love the way Faramir "rescues" Eowyn from her desolation and lets her hope and love again. That is just sooo touching.

Arwen&Aragorn? Nice, and brilliant in the movies, but still just a copy of Beren and Lúthien. I liked it, I don´t think Aragorn could have maried a normal person, but still.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:01 PM   #3
Angry Hill Troll
Wight

Angry Hill Troll has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Well, since Middle-earth has kind of a pseudo medieval character, the marriage=political alliance aspect is consistent with that. Marriages did tend to be made on that basis: Ferdinand and Isabella, William of Orange and Mary, Henry VIII and ... well, alliances don't always last for very long! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

But you do have a point that Tolkien didn't seem very fond of writing about romancy and certainly not about sexuality. This device provided a convenient reason not to have to.
Angry Hill Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 06:03 PM   #4
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

An easy way out of what? And anyway, I think the whole "political allaince" thing is rubbish. Tolkien was writing romantic epics, not historical textbooks. There's no reason why we shouldn't assume Galadriel and Celeborn married for love.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:56 PM   #5
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Silmaril

Um, if Tolkien himself wrote that Elrond married Celebrian for love (I haven't read the UT but deducing from your comment regarding it, I assume that it alludes to that somewhere; please correct me if I am wrong, or provide a quotation), it's not exactly possible for us to say he's "wrong."

This is fiction, right? There are his characters, correct? Or is it okay for us to say something along the lines of: "well, Tolkien didn't really know what he was talking about, let's set him straight."

As for Galadriel and Celeborn, that one is pretty straightforward. They met, fell in love, got married. I don't see why Celebrian could not have followed in her mother's footsteps. Same with Arwen. For God's sake, Elrond wouldn't even allow that marriage until Aragorn had made something out of himself, and they had to go through all that careful planning and waiting. If Aragorn really wanted a marriage of convenience and political significance, he would have gone with Eowyn, or someone along those lines, I believe.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:07 PM   #6
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well if I recall this correctly (I don´t have the UT, just from the library) it says something like "They met in Rivendell, and they married." Which can mean just about everything, can it not? And I think it smells arranged marriage 8 miles against the wind. I think that´s all Tolkien ever wrote on the subject...
Old 01-26-2003, 10:00 PM   #7
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

If he said, "Celebrian went to Rivendell to marry Elrond" perhaps it would smell of an arrangement, but "they met in Rivendell and married" says to me that they married after they'd met because they fell in love.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:21 PM   #8
Anardil
Animated Skeleton

Anardil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, as far as Elrond and Celebrian are concerned I believe that the story goes something like this. During the years of the Second Age leading up to the forging of the One Ring, Celeborn was living in Eregion while Galadriel and her daughter Celebrian were in Lorien. When war broke out between Sauron and the Elves (around 1693) Eregion was laid waste and Celeborn was forced to flee Northwards until he met Elrond's army coming in from Lindon. Under the force of Sauron assault, they were forced to retreat to the upper Bruinen valley, and Elrond founded Rivendell there at that time. Thus, Celeborn was in Rivendell at the end of the War. Galadriel and Celebrian came looking for him there, and it was at that time that Elrond and Celebrian met for the first time. It is said that Elrond loved her, though he said nothing of it. It was not until some 2000 years later that he married her.
Anardil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:31 AM   #9
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

This is an interesting topic; however, from what I have read about Tolkien in his biography and letters, I would not agree that he used the convenient device of political matches for the marriages of his main characters. (There are matches like that in the Silmarillion and other stories, but they are not normally happy ones.) He himself married the woman he loved, against the will of his guardian. I think rather than being pragmatic about marriages, he was an idealist, with highly romantic notions of love. That the marriage itself did not go on in that idealistic way, did not daunt him. He kept those ideals.

When I read the title of this thread, I remembered two past discussions which used the word "matchmaker" and looked them up. They do not take the same turn of thought, but are certainly interesting supplements to this topic. Here they are for your enjoyment: Matchmaker, matchmaker and Galadriel, the matchmaker.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 06:58 AM   #10
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Silmaril

Heres the quote from Unfinished Tales
Quote:
She [Galadriel] committed Loriand to Amroth, and passing again through Moria with Celebrain she came to Imaldris, seeking Celeborn. There (it seems) she found him, and there they dwelt together for a long time; and it was then that Elrond first saw Celebrain, and loved her, though he said nothing of it

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 07:31 AM   #11
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I really don't think elves married for expedience, or that their parents would encourage such an arrangement. Remember, elvish unions last for eternity and are not dissolved, so marriage was not entered into lightly!
For further information on what Tolkien thought of Elvish marriage, I recommend following the link posted by the Elf Herself in the Elvish Reproduction thread. It should answer your questions.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:35 AM   #12
The-Elf-Herself
Haunting Spirit

The-Elf-Herself has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, I love that link. All of the information it taken directly from Morgoth's Ring, one of the best books in the HoME. Personally, I think it's partly due to our modern-day cynicism that we assume those marriages were arranged. I know that for me it was hard to believe at first that all of them could be for love. THen when you start reading more of the background information on Middle Earth, such as what's documented in the HoME, you start to understand that maybe in this ideal world they were.