The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2004, 10:39 PM   #1
Sangal

Sting Gandalf's riding

I'm just curious. In fact I like the movie very much and I have never rebeled against PJ's work. If somebody comes to me and tell something like "PJ did so many mistakes. How dares he cut Tom Bombadil's scene off..." etc.., I think "If you are so smart and competent - why don't you try to make better work." And I still stand on this position. <BR>But I have one question though. Just b/c I'm curious about it. <BR>The scene when defenders of Osgiliath ride to Minas Tirith trying to escape from nazgul's attack. At that moment we can hear voices from the Minas Tirith "Mitrandir! The white rider!". And we see Gandalf's riding to rescue defenders. But why he took Pippin to this riding? Hobbit must be like an encumbrance at that moment.<BR>I just can't realize all genius of such director's position. What do you think about meaning of it?
Old 02-07-2004, 10:42 PM   #2
Gil Galad
Haunting Spirit

Gil Galad has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gil Galad Send a message via Yahoo to Gil Galad
Sting

Who knows for sure? Maybe it was because pippin was at the time in service to the steward, remember he was "the guard of the citadel" so he probably went for a ceremonial purpose. but who knows?

Certainty of death, small chance of success... what are we waiting for?- Gimli ROTK
Gil Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 07:53 AM   #3
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

I wondered the same thing. Pippin certainly couldn't help Gandalf in anyway by being on the horse with him. I don't know why Gandalf would have brought him along in the first place. The only thing I can think of is that maybe Gandalf was in so much of a hurry he wasn't thinking straight and grabbed Pippin. I don't think so though. There doesn't seem to be a logical explanation to me.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 08:08 AM   #4
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Thinking about it, Gandalf took Pippin to Minas Tirith in the first place to keep him out of trouble. Maybe Gandalf didn't trust Pippin to be left in Minas Tirith on his own, so he grabbed Pippin quickly and kept him away from trouble.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:40 AM   #5
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe Gandalf grabbed Pippin to keep him away from crazy old Denethor! Or, conversely, maybe Denethor sent Pippin to keep an eye on Gandalf! <P>Cheers!<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 03:46 PM   #6
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

Gandalf's riding in general is one of my small complaints regarding the film. Shadowfax was just a normal horse...Gandalf's reins were at times visable, and you could TELL there was some sort of saddle underneath. <P>I also agree that it doesn't make sense for the hobbit to accompany Gandalf, but perhaps we will gain a better explaination in the EE.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 01:28 AM   #7
Althern
Animated Skeleton

Location: A twin city divided by a great river... must be Osgiliath
Althern has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only point I could see to Pippin riding with Gandalf is so that Faramir can see him, "...this is not the first halfling to have crossed your path..." Although this could have been easily achieved with Pippin just running up to Gandalf when they arrive back.
Althern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 05:28 AM   #8
poisonivy

Sting

Gandalf did brought pippin to minas tirith to protect him. i guess he doesn't want to lose sight of the little guy since sauron did think he has the ring (since he messed with the palantir). he wants to protect him. i guess...
Old 02-09-2004, 01:55 PM   #9
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Thinking about it, Gandalf took Pippin to Minas Tirith in the first place to keep him out of trouble. Maybe Gandalf didn't trust Pippin to be left in Minas Tirith on his own, so he grabbed Pippin quickly and kept him away from trouble. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>True, but why would Gandalf take Pippin from perhaps small mischief in the city, to grave danger: Riding out to meet the Nazgul? I can only suppose that he thought that if Denethor realized that Gandalf was away from Pippin, he would have Pippin brought to him & question him, & Pippin would surely screw up without old Gandalf there (& sometimes with him there) !
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:11 PM   #10
WarBringer
Wight

WarBringer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In my opinion, Gandalf bring Pippin with him is just another part of his plan to defeat Sauron. It was said (either in the books or the movies, I can't remember) that even the wisest cannot see to all ends, so perhaps Gandalf believed Pippin had a part to play at some point in the battle, even if it was hidden from him at the time. In another words, Gandalf brought Pippin with him believing that he may have something to day in the battle to help the cause of men.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:00 PM   #11
Carorëiel
Haunting Spirit

Carorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My guess is that something was cut from the movie that explains why Pippin is with Gandalf in that scene. Perhaps, as someone else has already said, things will be made more clear in the EE.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:31 AM   #12
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

That's a pretty good explanation for it. I've always wondered at that scene myself. It seemed really quite useless, but perhaps they will have something on the EE about it.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:02 PM   #13
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Could he have simply forgotten about it, and snatched up Pippin by force of habit?
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:10 AM   #14
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
I believe that was mentioned above, but that doesn't seem like something that Gandalf would do. I don't think he's the kind to "accidently" take a hobbit out to fight Nazgul.... But who knows, hopefully it will be there on the EE.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:22 PM   #15
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

Quote:
I can only suppose that he thought that if Denethor realized that Gandalf was away from Pippin, he would have Pippin brought to him & question him, & Pippin would surely screw up without old Gandalf there (& sometimes with him there) !
Somehow this seems the most logical explanation to me, but I personally think it was just so Faramir could see Pippin, and so the audience wouldn't wonder where the hobbit was (since up till that point he had been with Gandalf).
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 03:35 PM   #16
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe *Groan*

Quote:
Could he have simply forgotten about it, and snatched up Pippin by force of habit?
... or force of Hobbit ...

(Well, someone had to say it )