The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-31-2003, 09:17 AM   #41
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just watched LOTR yesterday (again!) and at Weathertop, my vote goes to giving birth, but in Moria, my vote goes to constipated. Now I'm never going to be able to watch FOTR again without thinking of this thread!!!
Old 07-31-2003, 11:22 AM   #42
LOTRFreak297

Thumbs up

Great choice of words, (LoL)!<P>LotRFreak<P>------------------------------------<P>It's A turtle(Radio Flyer).
Old 09-14-2003, 08:23 AM   #43
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm resurecting this thread that hasn't been replied to in a while. Tell me what you think!
Old 09-14-2003, 12:40 PM   #44
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ok, firstly I say Santa's Elves (well Father Christmas's Elves actually...but hey.)<BR>Who the hell says pixies??? *snorts*...it makes me think of the Ballad of Bilbo Baggins by Spock for some reason....<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>P.S All Blacks winning against Australia 38:16 at 67 minutes <BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Hehehe...our England team have managed to beat the All Blacks <I>and</I> Australia in their homelands apparently...muahahahaha!<P>But having read through this thread again, I suppose I can relate to him...having had the wind knocked out of me myself skating (I was only doing a forward run swing change edge thing!!), but I suppose the slow-mo did exaggerate it a bit...<p>[ September 24, 2003: Message edited by: Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 ]
Old 09-14-2003, 01:41 PM   #45
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dūm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I was feeling bad for Merry and Pippin, being thrown about and wondering why Pip didn't have a concussion or something broken when he fell off (was flung off!) the troll at the end of that sequence! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Realize that you posted this a while back, Lyta_Underhill, but I just wanted to point out that I noticed it too. It's part of my Anti Pippin Abuse protest, which you can read more about in my post <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002228&p=2" TARGET=_blank>here</A>.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 01:50 PM   #46
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

Hmm I didn't notice actually...I suppose it is simply because he isn't a very major character and Frodo needed to be focused on.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:28 AM   #47
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

I imagine that Frodo broke a few ribs with the cave trolls attacks. And you can pass out from pain...not that I ever have.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 10:42 AM   #48
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have always wanted to complain about Frodo appearing too much like a softy in the movie. Elijah Wood in some poses looks as he is about to cry and may even look feminine in a few.<BR>I don't deny that he is a good cast for the role, but PJ should not have over dramatised his role to the point of having people wanting to cry and feel sorry for him.<BR>That is not the impression you get from him in the books at all.<P>Elijah's sorry looks when he stares up at the camera sometimes really annoy me.<P>Sorry about that but I had to say it....
Old 09-24-2003, 11:29 AM   #49
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Hmm I didn't notice actually...I suppose it is simply because he isn't a very major character and Frodo needed to be focused on.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> The thing I love about LOTR is that it is so much of an ensemble. It could be the fact that I love Pippin so much that I groaned when he was flung like that! But yes, Frodo certainly seemed to receive a mortal wound, and that would certainly draw the most attention and concern, rightly so!<P>And, <B>peonydeepdelver</B>, I remember reading your list of Pippin abuses earlier! It is a good thing he is a young, resilient hobbit! As a matter of fact, far from being clumsy or inept, Pippin is the most agile and deft of the four hobbits, as evidenced by his facility in crossing the bridge over the Nimrodel (but this is book talk, I suppose and I hope I'm remembering right!). I can see 50 year old Frodo stumbling a bit though...it is just a bit odd to see Elijah Wood do it, since he is obviously not 50...but then again, Frodo doesn't look his age either. (Of course, PJ's Frodo is much younger in real time due to the constraints of expository introduction, etc. etc.)<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I imagine that Frodo broke a few ribs with the cave trolls attacks. And you can pass out from pain...not that I ever have.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>As far as I recall, Frodo had some nasty bruises where the Cave Troll had poked him, but I don't think he broke anything. And I also recall Sam had quite a nasty wound as well (bookwise), but he didn't take much notice of it until Frodo was taken care of. Good old Sam! <P>And yes, <B>samrohan</B>, I understand your points about "doe-in-the-headlights" Frodo. I think this was overdone and some of Frodo's power drained out of him because of it, but PJ included enough of Frodo's quietly powerful scenes to satisfy me. I must admit that Elijah's wrinkled,cocked eyebrow look irritates me as well, however. It seems somehow...sappy, like he's about to break into a really cheesy song or something. <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 11:31 AM   #50
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

I know what you mean, I have a poster on the back of my door which I can see from my bed of Frodo looking extremely worried...and I always go through this kind of ritual that is like 'aww, poor Frodo', then 'stop looking so worried, you're going to make me cry', then finally 'Frodo, stop being such a wimp! You are perfectly capable of handling the Wringwraiths by yourself, you don't need some sappy Elven princess to do it for you!'<P>Ok, it is a TT poster, but still.<BR>Yes, I actually go through this ritual EVERY SINGLE TIME I see it (I normally hang some clothes from the hook over the top to avoid it ).<BR>Yes, I do realise that it is only a poster.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:03 PM   #51
Theoden
Pile O'Bones

Theoden has just left Hobbiton.
Yes.<BR>I thought Elijah Wood's "pain-acting" was too painfull. I'm not saying that a hit like that from a cave troll will not hurt... anyway, the hit with mithril must be like being shot while wearing a bulletproof vest. (It hurts anyway) So, maybe the acting was allright.<BR>... I know! Let's ask Elijah Wood if a hit like that hurt ...