The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2003, 03:58 PM   #1
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield Halbarad? **SPOILERS**

I recently found this picture, and wondered what you guys thought. It may be Halbarad, which means that maybe the Rangers may be in ROTK after all...<P><A HREF="http://www.warofthering.net/photos/rotkmiscellaneous/images/rotk003_ranger.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Halbarad?</A>
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 04:33 PM   #2
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow!<P>I'd completely written off the Dunedain of the north. His clothing doesn't match Faramir's men. His clothing and hair colour would suggest a relationship with Aragorn.<P>It is clear from the RotK previews that Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli walk the Paths of the Dead alone though.<P>Wierd. I gotta ponder.<P>H.C.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:34 PM   #3
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cool! Will he be the 'dramatic death' of the third movie as Haldir was in the second, and Boromir was in the first? We will see!
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 07:31 PM   #4
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
1420!

Yes, my first thought was that it is one of Faranir's men. But, as HC says, the clothing doesn't match. It is far more akin to Aragorn's costume.<P>Excellent! There is hope yet. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It is clear from the RotK previews that Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli walk the Paths of the Dead alone though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, it does seem that Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli enter the Paths alone. But maybe the Dunedain folow them in. It would seem strange to have them turn up and then not accompany Aragorn on the Paths. And that shot does look like it is in caves of some sort ...<P>Anyone recognise the blurred figure in the background?
Old 08-28-2003, 07:44 PM   #5
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

But then again, he could be Beregond or one of the Gondorian soldiers..... who knows who he is?
Old 08-28-2003, 07:49 PM   #6
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> he could be Beregond or one of the Gondorian soldiers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Nah - no White Tree. And the Gondorian soldiers are all wearing plate armour in the clips that I have seen.<P>Perhaps it's a radically alternative portrayal of Ghan-Buri-Ghan.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:01 PM   #7
Carrûn
Wight

Carrûn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not holding my breath but it would definately make my day.<P>Although that guy doesn't seem to represent the picture I had of Halbarad in my mind...seems too...(insert word I can't think of here)
Old 08-29-2003, 04:28 AM   #8
Maéglin
Haunting Spirit

Maéglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It could be just me but that picture looks slightly edited... like its just Aragorn's body with a different face <P>However I am excited if they do include the Dunedain of the North in the last film. I mean Halbarad only came with.. 20? of the Rangers yet they seemed so overworldly that Theoden said something like "...if they are anything alike to yourself Lord Aragorn, then they will be a strength that cannot be counted by heads."
Maéglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 09:32 AM   #9
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

I belive it could be him. If any of you would notice, the address is <B>rotk003_ranger.jpg</B>, so indicating that he is, in most likelyhood, a ranger. Not addressing the issue of who he is in particular mind you. As you can see, there is light coming from two directions behind him and it appears that there is moonlight reflecting off a pool or something of the sort before him. Therefore, I strongly doubt that he is treading the Paths of the Dead in this particular picture, as they would not contain the kind of brilliance of light as seen here. And do my eyes decieve me? Or does that man behind him seem in likeness to that of Faramir of Gondor? Just an opinion mind you!
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 10:46 AM   #10
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Whoa! Like HC, I had thought that the Rangers of the North would have no participation in RotK. Then I looked at the background, and my heart sank because it looked like Henneth Annun. But then I scrutinized the clothing, and it does look like Aragorn's. I just wish that there was a full-body shot, so that I could have better judgement. Oh, well. All we can do now is cross our fingers and hack into Peter Jackson's computer to find out the real story.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 11:55 AM   #11
Elentári
Wight

Elentári has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow!!! Best news I've seen in a while, having only just found that thread about there being no rangers. About the two sources of light...this is a rather far-fetched wild idea, but hey. On the paths of the dead two people were carrying torches, weren't they? One at the front, and one behind. And maybe he's looking at that skeleton at the doorway or something. Ok, so that was pure desperation...but what do you think?
Old 08-29-2003, 01:16 PM   #12
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

A few points:<P>*It does appear to be a ranger.<P>*He does <B>not</B> appear to be treading the Paths of the Dead.<P>*It is not very likely that this ranger (I won't speculate as to his name) &/or any of his companions that he might have would've ment up with Aragorn & then not followed him through the 'paths'.<P>*Therefore it seems rather plain, to me that he is a ranger that meets up with Aragorn after the paths of the dead (sounds strange though) & fights alongside him at the fields. Or at least I'm pretty sure he'd show up at the fields at the latest. That's MO.<p>[ September 06, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 05:09 PM   #13
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sorry to burst some bubbles but that pic came off Decipher's Gondorian Ranger card from the Two Towers series. He's one of Faramir's. But don't discount the rangers of the north from ROTK yet, somebody has to bring the sword reforged to Aragorn, and in the trailer the smiths hand it to somebody wearing gauntlets. Elrond doesn't wear gauntlets. Neither does Arwen.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 06:29 AM   #14
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe this guy is the one bringing the sword then. If Halbarad is a close friend of Aragorn then maybe he'll be coming alone or with his Rangers, not tread the paths of the dead but meet aragorn some time before and then shoot off with the Rohirrim? This brings me new hope, because I was thinking that Arwen bought Aragorn his sword. Having Halbarad would be much better.<P>Oh, the speculation!
Old 08-30-2003, 12:04 PM   #15
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Sorry to burst some bubbles but that pic came off Decipher's Gondorian Ranger card from the Two Towers series. He's one of Faramir's. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Now that you mention it, it does look like the caves behind the falls in TTT where they brought Frodo and Sam if you look behind him(sorry if it has a name, but my mind is gone right now). But what gets me is why he's dressed like a Ranger, and unlike Faramir. Though Faramir was not wearing his armor with the White Tree on it until the Forbiddem Pool scene, his men were dressed like Rangers.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 12:48 PM   #16
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Now that you mention it, it does look like the caves behind the falls in TTT where they brought Frodo and Sam if you look behind him (sorry if it has a name, but my mind is gone right now).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That's what I thought after Keeper of Dol Guldor 'bursted some bubbles'.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:40 AM   #17
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Yeah, looking at tht kids cards, he is Gondorian, which makes sense in the fact there are no 'Dúnedain rangers' or any sons of Elrond going through the Paths of the Dead.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 04:36 PM   #18
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatáriël Lossëhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I slo-mo'd through the scene where Gollum is brought up to the cave in Henneth Annûn. After he is thrown on the ground, two Rangers walk up side by side with Faramir just behind. While the <I>faces</I> on those two Rangers don't match the man in this picture, their clothing <I>exactly</I> matches. He could be one of the other Rangers in the scene, as there are at least four, plus Faramir. Plus, the lighting and cave walls are the same.<P>Dang it! I was really hoping for Halbarad..
Old 08-31-2003, 05:48 PM   #19
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>somebody has to bring the sword reforged to Aragorn, and in the trailer the smiths hand it to somebody wearing gauntlets. Elrond doesn't wear gauntlets. Neither does Arwen.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Not necessarily. Perhaps the smith was handing it to someone who was going to bring it to Arwen. Or that Arwen was going to get it some way since she's already on her way to the undying lands... (?) I don't know.<P>The website also says: <B>photos/rotkmiscellaneous/</B>. So why would they put a picture from Two Towers under the ROTK section? Uh huh...? Dare to hope...<P>I don't know how PJ's going to pull it off with no Dunedain. It's not going to make a lick of sense. I mean with the Corsairs? How is Aragorn going to get the ships w/o all his men?<P>-Maikafanawen<p>[ August 31, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 08-31-2003, 07:16 PM   #20
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> How is Aragorn going to get the ships w/o all his men? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Two words: the Dead. It will be odd with Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli getting off a boat all by themselves and rushing into battle. This makes me think that the role of the Dead is going to increase in PJ's "interpretation".<P>Iarwain
Old 08-31-2003, 07:28 PM   #21
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> This makes me think that the role of the Dead is going to increase in PJ's "interpretation". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Can we say "zombies"? (grins ruthlessly) I'm picturing emanciated, slightly green Men in rusted armor. Perhaps with glowing eyes....<P>Just because the pic came from a trading card doesn't mean it's a total bust. If I remember right some of the trading cards had characters that ended up being in the movies after all. Figwit, anyone? <P>-'Vana

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 08:29 PM   #22
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hurray!!! I really REALLY hope they have the Rangers in ROTK, they just have to be there, its an important part of the story!!!
Old 09-01-2003, 07:21 PM   #23
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

I hate to burst people's bubble, but if you have the Two Towers DVD, go to The Forbidden Pool scene. Faramir walks in on Frodo and is flanked by two men. Take a look at the guy on the right. He is dressed very much the same. In fact, he may even be the same guy. If you need further convincing, when they go to the pool, look at the clothing of the archers. They are all in black leathers.<P>Combine this with the fact that the caves in the picture look very much like the Henneth Annun set, and you have to conclude that the picture is indeed of one of Faramir's men.<P>H.C.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:23 PM   #24
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Yeah, HC, I wasn't counting on it to much (luckily), & Keeper of Dol Guldor & Alatáriël said stuff to that effect. So it's looks like we can re-count-out the Rangers.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:22 PM   #25
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I agree with all of your evidence, and may I also point out the man in the background appears to be Faramir, so he is almost definitely a Ranger of Ithilien, not one of the Dunedain.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:58 PM   #26
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Sting

Aw shucks! <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002274" TARGET=_blank>Just when I got myself round to thinking how well it would work to have the Dunedain in the film.</A>
Old 09-05-2003, 06:07 AM   #27
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The man in the background indeed looks like Faramir and the caves look like the Henneth Annun set. <P>I however would like to see Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli being followed by the rangers through the paths of the Death as it would bring more credibility to the film. The book also describes how Gimli lags behind the others in the caves, this would not be the same if you lag behind twenty or behind two...<P>The rangers could not follow though the Paths without being with Aragorn, the spirits of the dead would probably not allow them to go through. It is only because Aragorn is who he is that they are tolerated in that miserable and dead place.<P>How does Aragorn get the baner from Arwen with the Tree and the stars if they are not given to him by the Sons of Elrond and the rangers. He has to get them as he unleashes the baner upon the hill and summons the dead to follow him down to the river and take over the pirates.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:52 AM   #28
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> How does Aragorn get the baner from Arwen with the Tree and the stars if they are not given to him by the Sons of Elrond and the rangers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I would think he will get it from Arwen herself, including the reforged Narsil.<P>H.C.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:47 AM   #29
The_Hand
Haunting Spirit

The_Hand has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Wow that would be great if they had the Rangers after all but don't get my hopes up to much or I'll just die of dissapointment.<p>[ September 05, 2003: Message edited by: The_Hand ]
The_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 11:54 AM   #30
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

I'll make sure to give you room to fall. <P>H.C.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:17 PM   #31
Maéglin
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I think the removal of the Rangers poses another question... how are they going win the field of Pelennor?<P>In the books each of the Rangers captained a ship of Umbar filled with former prisoners and soldiers from Lebennin (I think) to the aid of Minas Tirith. I mean, even if 'The Three Hunters' cross the Path of the Dead alone, so what? Where are they gonna to muster a army to which to save Minas Tirith... don't tell me Gimli is goind to help lead an army . However like someone suggested they might use the dead. But that would change the plot considerably, and I don't want to imagine an army of the dead marching with all the hosts of Gondor and Rohan to the Black Gate.. it would just be wrong.<P>Hmmm maybe this should have gone to another thread, but I'm just making the point that removing the Rangers would drift away from the book alot.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:45 PM   #32
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

I posted this in another thread but it would be pretty easy for Aragorn and the Dead to arrive at Pelargir with the battle with the Corsairs already in progress and the forces of southern Gondor losing. The course of the battle is, of course, turned and it is Gondorian soldiers that man the ships.<P>H.C.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:03 PM   #33
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I was watching the RotK preview in the Special Features DVD in the Two Towers case, and it specifically mentioned that Aragorn had to go to the "Paths of the Dead" in the middle of the Dwimorberg to prove that he was the Heir of Isildur. The one thing that got me was, if you watch that clip closely, it looks as if only Aragorn is going in. Am I assuming too much, or is it actually only Aragorn entering the Paths of the Dead? If we listen to PJ, he said that it was Aragorn who had to prove that he was the Heir (emphasis on Aragorn) so maybe he's just going to have Aragorn enter the Paths of the Dead. That guy is such a turncoat!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 09:35 PM   #34
Maéglin
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Hmmm I kindof do remember that part of the ROTK preview in the TTT DVD Finwe...<P>Bah so he is going to change it so that instead of Aragorn fulfilling his role as Heir of Isildur by trekking the Path of the Dead, he is going to use it as a test for the Heir of Isildur... subtle change perhaps but deviates from the book too much for my liking. But I'm sure the movie will still be awesome if we overlook these things
Old 09-06-2003, 12:04 PM   #35
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>That guy is such a turncoat!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Agreed.
Old 09-06-2003, 02:23 PM   #36
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The one thing that got me was, if you watch that clip closely, it looks as if only Aragorn is going in. Am I assuming too much, or is it actually only Aragorn entering the Paths of the Dead? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>You're assuming too much. There are shots floating around of Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli walking the paths.<P>H.C.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:26 PM   #37
Phrim
Haunting Spirit

Phrim has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Methinks I've seen this picture before:<P><A HREF="http://www.decipher.com/lordoftherings/cardlists/twotowers/large/LOTR-EN04122.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.decipher.com/lordoftherings/cardlists/twotowers/large/LOTR-EN04122.html</A><P>The picture looks like it's a direct lift from Decipher's card game. Since Decipher got all their images from The Two Towers, this cannot be an RotK image. And in fact, the card is supposed to represent one of Faramir's "ranger" (and I use the term loosely) brethren.
Phrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 09:14 AM   #38
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That is strange indeed. So he is one of Faramir's Rangers then? I suppose then that the image is from Ithilien or Osgiliath, probably the former.<P>I had thought (or hoped, rather) that perhaps since the Dunedain would not follow Aragorn on the Paths of the Dead, they would at least turn up at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields or the battle before the Black Gate. So much has already been changed by Mr. Jackson, so many major and minor details, that I could easily envision the last-minute arrival of Aragorn's Ranger companions at the start or in the middle of one of the RotK battles.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:25 AM   #39
Elentári
Wight

Elentári has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe I missed something...how come Aragorn doesn't already have that sword?
Old 09-07-2003, 07:26 PM   #40
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

It has yet to be shown reforged in the movie.<P>H.C.