The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2003, 10:37 AM   #41
Dain
Wight

Dain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with the marsupial. Gimli had a hood and mail coat (PJ changed this--probably to make the double easier to hide) and Boromir had no helm until it was placed in his boat. Curiouser and curiouser.

But what does it have against Wisconsin, my preciousss...
Old 02-24-2003, 04:13 PM   #42
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Saxony Tarn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saxony Tarn
Sting

Re: "Boromir must have had a helm because if we were Tolkien, we'd have given him one"

of course. you'd be amazed at what gets cut out in the editing...

B)

seems like Dain & Nari are having a productive discussion on archaeology (Dain -- i'm a product of American public schools, and i know more than spit about Sutton Hoo. Of course, i didn't learn it in public school, but through independent research, just 'cause i like the Viking era, and Tirned Tinnu, hi there, the story is still going on and did i ever send you the link?)

i guess the question should be -- was Tolkien assuming that we'd mentally add a helmet to Boromir's list of gear, as it should be so obvious that he didn't feel that he had to mention it?

s.t.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:10 PM   #43
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

One Axe to Rule them All has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As a constant DM for a group of guys who just don't get it. I know my helms pretty well, it is my opinion that boromir wasn't wearing a helmet all of the time, he'd wear one when he knew that there would be a lot of stuff flying around his head, but if you think about it, a helmet would just be too much of an inconvienence for everyday use,

I mean, if a uruk-hai swinging a sword longer than both of frodo's arms put together really wants to, a helm isn't gonna get in the way of that sword cleaving his head in half. if he'd made it to helm's deep, on the other hand, he knew he'd be taking a lot of fire and a helmet would really be handy for those "close calls" like an arrow taking his ear off.

Aragorn never used a helmet because he focused on hitting first and best, and dodging or blocking with his sword what he couldn't kill first

Boromir and Aragorn fought about the same way, there were a few exceptions, but for the most part he was a dodger too

Gimli was just like a tank, no way he was gonna get out of the way for a little arrow!
anyways, he probably weighed more than boromir OR aragorn, so dodging is kinda difficult when you're 4 feet tall and weighed 200 pounds!