The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-24-2003, 10:15 PM   #1
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting 1001 reasons...

1001 reasons you know you have read the Lord of the Rings and Silm too many times.

1) if you call you books "precious"
Old 12-25-2003, 08:52 PM   #2
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dűm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

Eh...aren't list threads generally frowned down upon? o.O

in any event...you would know you've read them too many times, when you compare the appearences of Merry in the book, to the film, and are convinced that in the movie, everyone abuses Merry. Thusly, you have started the S.A.M. (Save-A-Merry Foundation) to keep Merry a more canonical character. o.O
Old 12-26-2003, 10:30 AM   #3
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

3) When you scream "SPARKLIES!!!!!!!!" whenever you see shining, white jewels, proceed to claim them immediately, then if someone takes them from you, take an Oath to chase after them forever, and start a war to get them back.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 09:01 PM   #4
Naz
Shade of Carn Dűm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

4) When the gold & silver trees for decoration constantly remind you of Laurelin & Telperion ("Look! It's Laurelin & Telperion! We have to keep them together!").
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 09:58 PM   #5
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

Quote:
Thusly, you have started the S.A.M. (Save-A-Merry Foundation) to keep Merry a more canonical character. o.O
But what about Pippin? He's always getting whacked around. Mind if I start the Save-A-Pippin Foundation? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Prevent Pippin abuse!
Old 12-27-2003, 04:47 AM   #6
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

You are right, Elennar Starfire. Three cheers for Merry and Pippin! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

5) When you tend to use some of the characters' lines in daily conversation.

For example: When somebody insults you, you say "Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth!", or something, and from then on call him Wormtongue.

Ooh, that's gotta hurt. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 08:28 AM   #7
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Doesn't everyone else do that..? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Love the Oath and S.A.M ones! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Let's see...to help you/someone you know overcome arachnophobia, next time you see one of the beasties, shine a torch at it and shout Elvish at it. Shoring some of its feet off and inflicitng grevious bodily harm also helps.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 10:52 AM   #8
Naz
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

6) When you grab a perfume bottle that's clear, & the perfume's clear, & shout "Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!" & wonder why it won't work.

7) When you squeak everytime something Sil is mentioned in LotR. ("Gildor is of the House of Finrod?! EEEE~~!!")

8) When Aragorn rides up to the Black Gate in RotK, you're going "FingolfinFingolfinFingolfin" in your head & when you tell people, they don't think it's funny.

9) When you do #8 to when Eowyn is dodging the Witch King's mace in RotK.

10) When you & your parody Fingolfin & Morgoth's fight.. turns out he needed more milk. (Geez, everything's about Fingolfin, & it isn't even half funny!> <;; )
Old 12-28-2003, 04:41 PM   #9
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Quote:
Thusly, you have started the S.A.M. (Save-A-Merry Foundation) to keep Merry a more canonical character. o.O
Yes, well what about all the Sam abuse (mostly by Gollum)? Sam needs his own foundation, too!

Quote:
When you tend to use some of the characters' lines in daily conversation.
All the time! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
6) When you grab a perfume bottle that's clear, & the perfume's clear, & shout "Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!" & wonder why it won't work.
You did that too? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

11) When you use your little reading light that you got for Christmas, try above experiment (while slyly turning on the light), and it does work!

12) When you open your mouth while eating gummy worms, and say "Look! I'm Wormtongue!" No one even thought it was funny. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 04:53 PM   #10
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Quote:
12) When you open your mouth while eating gummy worms, and say "Look! I'm Wormtongue!" No one even thought it was funny.

*dies laughing*
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:13 PM   #11
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

*giggles insanely*

Quote:
Yes, well what about all the Sam abuse (mostly by Gollum)? Sam needs his own foundation, too!
We need a Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Hobbits or something. They all get abused.

13) When you see 'UT' you think 'Unfinished Tales' rather than 'Utah' even though that is where you live.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:28 PM   #12
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

PMS: The Protection for Masters' Safteyandtherippingtoshredsofevilevilevilevilsneaki nggangrelcreatures.

Sorry, Sam's personal feelings got in the way of the anacronym...

Old 12-28-2003, 07:34 PM   #13
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I'll join The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Hobbits! Can I be Co-chair?

14) When you not only have word hallucinations, but they are entirely unrelated to the real word (especially common right after reading one of the books). For example: seeing a word that has only two or three letters in common with a Tolkien word, such as "glad", and thinking it says "Gil-galad" (bad example, but you get the point).

15) You can tell anyone about any part of any of the books at the drop of a hat, and get most or all of it right, down to what everyone says and what order they say it in.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 07:43 PM   #14
Naz
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You did that too?
Hehe, yeah.

*giggles* I think the Grima thing is funny^ ^
Old 12-28-2003, 09:18 PM   #15
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
PMS: The Protection for Masters' Safteyandtherippingtoshredsofevilevilevilevilsneak inggangrelcreatures.
This strangely looks like something Faramir would join in. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

16) When you go horseback-riding and say "Noro lim, noro lim, Asfaloth!" to the horse. (And name it Asfaloth, as well!) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2003, 10:19 AM   #16
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Psychological Depth in The LotR Movies: An Essay.

Faramir has obvious anger-issues. Seeing the way his father treated him, especially compared to his older brother, it is obvious that his father's rejection has instilled a lot of repressed anger and an inferiority complex in him. This explains why he kidnaps the Hobbits, as he feels their physcical smallness makes up for his self-esteem's smallness, and then why he ALWAYS has to pummel Gollum, as Gollum's marked physical differences to everyone else present allows Faramir at long last to have a target to pick on which is more vulnerable than he.

Now Denethor is not only a dealer of domestic abuse, but a victim. Gandalf's constant beating result in thoguhts of suicide...which would have been averted, had not Gandalf got Shadowfax to kill him after Denethor realises that death is not the answer.

Gandalf is Morgoth returned.

Old 12-29-2003, 06:14 PM   #17
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dűm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

Quote:
in any event...you would know you've read them too many times, when you compare the appearences of Merry in the book, to the film, and are convinced that in the movie, everyone abuses Merry. Thusly, you have started the S.A.M. (Save-A-Merry Foundation) to keep Merry a more canonical character. o.O
Quote:
But what about Pippin? He's always getting whacked around. Mind if I start the Save-A-Pippin Foundation? Prevent Pippin abuse!
Wow, what a coincidence. I've already started the APAA: Anti Pippin Abuse Association. You can read about it here.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 08:40 PM   #18
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Ring

Isn`t this a bit like " you know you`re obsessed with LotR"?
That would be S.A.P! (save-a-Pippin-foundation!)

(17) You name all your pillows after LotR characters.(Aragorn, Merry, Pippin, and even Legolas.

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 03:56 AM   #19
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
(17) You name all your pillows after LotR characters.(Aragorn, Merry, Pippin, and even Legolas
I actually named one of my teddy bears Aragorn. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

So sue me! He was the one who entered my mind when I saw the bear! Although it does not exactly smell bad... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

18) When you mutter some lines from the books before you sleep.

...Must have the preciouss...zzz... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2003, 06:26 PM   #20
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hmm. I have the strangest feeling I have answered this thread before. But since I do not see any post of mine up here, I have a sneaking suspicion that I may have posted it in a different thread by accident... anyway.

1.) When you wake your little brother up by hissing "Fissshhhh..." in his ear (and subsequently get walloped in the face for it)
2.) When the same little brother makes you promise not to do that anymore, you hiss "we swears on the preciousss" and limp off.
3.) When you get out of bed in the morning by shouting "Forth Eorlingas!" (and then trip over your books and crash to the floor in a most un-rohirrim like manner)
4.) when you go up to a random person who's smoking and tell them that their love of the halfling's weed will slow their minds.
5.) when you ask for a bottle of the old vineyard of 1412 at a fancy restaurant. even though i'm not exactly drinking age. just for the heck of it.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:51 PM   #21
Iaurhirwen
Wight

Iaurhirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Iaurhirwen
Tolkien

Let's see:

1) You're doing a paper for an honors class on Tolkien's world and "real world" mythology.

2) When talking to someone on AIM, ICQ, whatever, you start typing in Elvish at random moments for no reason at all.

3) Every time you see anything remotely connected with Tolkien you start hyperventalating and require a strong sedative

4) You're sitting there typing these out while staring at a giant picture of Legolas

5) In your Myth's and Legends class you are constantly pestering the insturctor as to when you will begin the chapter on Tolkien and if you could teach it.

6) All of your school notebooks have random Tolkien quotes plastered all over them.

That's all I got [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
"Will somebody find my pants?" - "What do you do with a drunkin sailor?" - "You have a giant mole!!!!" - "Tom!! Get out of the Girls's dressing room!" "But she asked me to help find her pants!!" - - - opening night chaos
Iaurhirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 01:59 AM   #22
Bill
Pile O'Bones

Bill has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

> Curse and fart at the eye of Sauron
in your dreams every night and make
him jealous by wearing his ring in front of him! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
rising to a great height, where its reeking head was swathed in cloud."

- Book six, The Land of Shadow -
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 09:17 AM   #23
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Quote:
3.) When you get out of bed in the morning by shouting "Forth Eorlingas!" (and then trip over your books and crash to the floor in a most un-rohirrim like manner)
DEATH!!!

Old 12-31-2003, 03:48 PM   #24
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
DEATH!!!
kehehe [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] dat's me!
Old 12-31-2003, 04:40 PM   #25
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

~When you have memorized all poems in Silm, (though there are only 2) and many more from LotR, and are working on the Lay of Leithian.

~When you amuse yourself during boring classes by drawing designs for Mordor Orc shields, and various other LotR related things. Not very lovely, as I can't draw very well, but I tried!

Quote:
hmm. I have the strangest feeling I have answered this thread before. But since I do not see any post of mine up here, I have a sneaking suspicion that I may have posted it in a different thread by accident...
That's happened to me too, but I always figured I accidentally hit 'preview' instead of 'add reply' and clicked something else before I realized, and my post was lost.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:09 PM   #26
Marsyas
Animated Skeleton

Marsyas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

1)~when everyone at school knows you as 'that girl who knows everything' and asks you to sit with them at lunch just so you can explain the movies.

2)~when you and your best friend camp out and pretend to be on the way to Mordor to destroy the one ring. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Marsyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 01:26 PM   #27
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

~ when you leap out of bed, swinging your sword around wildly and screaming "ELENDIL!!!!" at the top of your lungs

(Don't ask me why I was sleeping with my sword. It helps when I have nightmares. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

~ when you start snickering like crazy when your cousin tells you about how his friend tackled someone during a football game, and yelled "ELENDIL!!!!!!!!" while he was doing it.
Old 01-01-2004, 02:17 PM   #28
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

~When you are rudely awakened, you yell at the person who did the waking in elvish, as you had been dreaming in elvish. (No, I have not done this, yet. I really really want to! Gotta learn Elvish first, though.)
Old 01-01-2004, 06:53 PM   #29
Naz
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Quote:
quote:

DEATH!!!
*snickers* Wish I could do that, but I sleep in a bunkbed, so I'd be the random Rohirrim tripping down the slope at Helm's Deep- -;;

Quote:
~ when you leap out of bed, swinging your sword around wildly and screaming "ELENDIL!!!!" at the top of your lungs
Ooh, I really need a sword now.. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Or just jump out of corners onto people screaming "ELENDIIIIL!!!"
Old 01-01-2004, 07:48 PM   #30
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

SERIOUS SUGGESTION:

At the Golden Ring Marathon, everyone should line up in 2 lines, then charge at each other with LotR war-cries! YEAH!!!

ANOTHER, NON-EXCULSIVE, SUGGESTION:

We start a "Forth Tolkiengas!" club!!! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

ELENDIL!!!!!!!!!!!!! *Runs till his legs falls off, then runs some more!*

Old 01-02-2004, 04:47 AM   #31
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

In my amil's office, there is this glass globe (actually it really is a globe) that looks like a miniature palantír. So whenever I pass by it, I walk around and look at it. Who knows, I might face towards Mordor and see Sauron looking at me. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Wait, that's not good. He might fall in love with me and ask me to be his...dreadful thought. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2004, 06:53 AM   #32
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Here's a true one:

2 'puddle-areas' (ie: areas where puddles ocnsistently form after rain) near your home look like the Sea of Rhun. Honestly, they do!

Old 01-02-2004, 07:20 AM   #33
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
8) When Aragorn rides up to the Black Gate in RotK, you're going "FingolfinFingolfinFingolfin" in your head & when you tell people, they don't think it's funny.
That reminds me of..."Fingolfinarfingolfinarfingolfinarfingolfinar fin"...that my sister and I can(and usually do) chant for hours on end. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

We're a demented pair, oh yes we are! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

->Elenrod, sister of Lhunardawen
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 08:19 AM   #34
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

* you just spent the equivalent of 11 hour's wages (okay, I work in a supermarket and I'm under 18, but even so) on hardcover 3-volume lotr. Mmmm... hardcover lotr...

* you just had a conversation with an 'unconverted' friend about who's related to whom and how in lotr, and can't see why she won't just sit down and read the Sil for all the backstory.

* :tv is on in background with some news story about climbers rescued from mountains:
reporter: the weather in these mountains is unpredictable
you: unless Saruman is out to get you! then you know it will be stormy!
[img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]thers in room look blankly at you:
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 03:12 PM   #35
Alimarwen

Sting

*when watching the Two Towers extended version (yesss....it is my preccciousssss) your mom routinely pauses the movie to ask for the background information but adds not to go back more than two ages in the history of M-E

*when the easiest way to annoy your little sister is to start singing that hobbit song that Pippin sings in RotK
Old 01-02-2004, 09:27 PM   #36
Who in all Felturn is that?

Sting

How 'bout this. You spend $275 on LotR/The Hobbit/The Silmarilion [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2004, 09:42 PM   #37
Aiya
Pile O'Bones

Aiya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*When you're meeting up with online-fellow-fans of a -different- book series than LotR, and your way to find them in the middle of Central Station is to yell out "For Gondor!!!"

Actually, this works. My brother and I were meeting up with some people from carmody-online.com, and we didn't know what they looked like. I yelled out "For Gondor!" and this man came up to me and goes, "Are you the internet people?" Will never live that down...

Aiya
Old 01-03-2004, 05:50 PM   #38
Dancing_Hobbit
Haunting Spirit

Location: A fairyland of mists and shadows deep in the emerald wood.
Dancing_Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I feel so at home with all the Hobbit activists! Sometimes I have to pummel even my LotR obsessed friends for disrespect to hobbits! I've wanted to form a society for ages, especially after I encountered Hobbit tossing in the chat room. grrr.

1. When you insist on using "Forth Eorlingas!" As your school team's fencing cheer untill somebody points out that you aren't cavalry, at which point you suggest riding the wrestlers. (please forgive the run-on)
2. You name all your foils after Tolkien characters.
3. Your halloween costume is obscure enough that you have to explain who you are people who have read the books who don't even recognise the name. (I was so dissapointed...)
4. When you write an ode to Lothlorien in Engilsh class and then can't tell if it's yours or if it's a poem by Tolkien that you didn't realise you had memorised. (So frustrating. I've looked for it in the books, but my friends are convinced enough that it's Tolkien's that I can't tell if I've got a wreched memory and it's in there somewhere or not)

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:32 PM January 03, 2004: Message edited by: Dancing_Hobbit ]
Old 01-03-2004, 08:53 PM   #39
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

PM me your poem, Dancing_Hobbit, and I'll see if I remember it. I have a fairly good memory where poetry is involved (other things...not at all). I would like to read it, anyway!

Quote:
We start a "Forth Tolkiengas!" club!!!
And what exactly is that? I have a suspicion that I might want to join, but I need some details!
Old 01-03-2004, 10:46 PM   #40
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

~ Your idea of a fun celebration is drinking a couple of mugs of beer and dedicating a toast to J.R.R. Tolkien. (It is the Professor's birthday after all.)

~ Even sadder, when most of your cousins' idea of fun is doing exactly that.