The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-24-2003, 09:29 AM   #1
Gabby Sorno

Sting The Oscars....

Soooo surprised that no one has started a topic yet for this...hmmm...<P>Sunday, i started watching the pre-shows at 12 in the afternoon...I'm an award show junkie. <P>LOTR: TTT got two awards....one for best Visual Effects in a Motion Picture and Best Sound Editing, I believe...don't scorn me if I'm wrong. They deserved both but i do agree that Chicago deserved Best Motion Picture...just my opinion as a screenwriter.<P>Got to go...computer applications class. Namarie all...<P>~Gab~
Old 03-24-2003, 10:05 AM   #2
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

TTT should have gotten all six awards!! <P>(did I write that the right way...? )<p>[ March 24, 2003: Message edited by: Finnguala ]
Old 03-24-2003, 10:07 AM   #3
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Just me- I don't think Chicago deserved best picture more than Lord of the Rings did. I think that many people speak of LotR as a chiildrens film, (just forget the blood and gore) which lowers it in the eyes of many more. But if they speak of it as a childrens film, hell, the Wild Thornberrys Movie got nominated for best song! I do think that LotR deserved, very fairly, the awards it got, except I think that it should have had actors/actresses nominated. I think Viggo or Ian or Elijah deserved a nomination, and certainly Andy. Possibly Karl, or Miranda, or David. I don't know, but when LotR won I yelled "We won! We won!" I didn't get <I>too</I> many strange looks because my friends all know how addicted I am. My away message is currently something along the liines off "LotR didn't win enough. Too dissapointed to talk." Just of course, I actually rant on and on for quite a bit longer.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:08 AM   #4
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Actually...yeah. TTT should have gotten all 6.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:22 AM   #5
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

OFF-TOPIC: Gotta say this: Did you SEE Adrien Brody when he went up to accept his award? Whoa! Happy guy right there!<P>Well, I'd better prepare for a backlash: here comes the optimist. I wasn't really upset that TTT won only two Oscars (it's better than none!), for several reasons:<P>1) It won a bunch of awards last year, and will most likely win another bunch this coming year for RotK. By my experience, it's the first and last movies in a saga that have the most success with award shows and all, and usually not the contents in the middle of the sandwich (hm... that makes little sense) however good they might be. I predict that, unless they totally blow the battles out of proportion, RotK will win Best Directing, Best Picture, and maybe Best Supporting Actor or Actress (Eowyn will come through!). The most epic and memorable scenes are, to my recollection, in RotK. That's what's going to win or lose us the Academies next year.<P>2) Good, fair competition. For those of you who have not seen Chicago, go to the theatre and see it. You will be pleasantly surprised. The movie is a great rendition of the musical, with amazing sets, good music, extremely talented actors, singers and dancers, and a story that is... a little ironic, I might admit, and with a pretty undeserving heroine, but very cool. It deserved the Oscars it got (with the exception of Sound... TTT really should have gotten that one) and I appreciate it for what it is: a great and memorable film. Unlike A Beautiful Mind (who's going to remember THAT in fifty years?).<P>3) Expectations. I didn't think LotR would win Best Picture or any category in which it was up against Chicago or Frida or anything like that. It did win two awards, and I'm happy with that. It got recognition and wasn't totally humiliated at the Oscars.<P>Good show, everyone! Many great movies this year... and a few surprises up from the underground, pleasant or unpleasant (Eminem! UGH! Couldn't hold a candle to some of the songs). Happy 75th, Oscar!
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:51 AM   #6
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

If PJ doesn't do a good enough job with RotK that they win loads of awards next year....I....I don't even know what I'll do. And yes, Adrian Brody was by far my favorite of all the people who went up there. Now I need to see the pianist. Badly.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:28 PM   #7
Rochelle
Shade of Carn Dūm

Rochelle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*lol* First off, I think that if no one here wanted TTT to win all the awards then something would be severly wrong. This is a Tolkien based forum is it not? Of course everyone will favor certain films <P>There was a thread in the Novice and Newcomers about the Oscars as well. A good point they made was for the category of makeup. I think LOTR had the best makeup by far, but FotR got the Academy Award for it last year...there weren't many changes in TTT so it would be redundant for them to be nominated again don't you think?<P>So my congrats to TTT for their two awards, they were well earned. Congrats as well to Chicago who was by far the Goliath this year. Perhaps I'll go see it...

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"
Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 12:47 PM   #8
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

This is not directly Tolkien related, but I'll say it anyway (and then make up for it by saying something LotR-ish ) Chicago was not all that great. I thought that it was pretty good as musicals go, but certainly not as good as LotR. Now, from an objective (meaaning non-addicted) point-of view, I'll say: I understand why Chicago got the Oscar, but I don't agree. Very many people who have either never seen LotR, or have opinions so firmly beaten into their head that nothing changes when they do, believe that Lord of the Rings is a childrens film (I have even seen very many times, LotR being written in as science fiction, but that's of topic). I don't think I agree. I only know 2 "children" who saw the films and liked them (children being classified as 10 and under): one 9 year old, and one 7 year old. LotR, unless you are an addict like all of here, could be considered a war film. War film=childrens film? Hmm...strange philospohy...however, I think that that's the reason, sad though it may be.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:47 PM   #9
Carorėiel
Haunting Spirit

Carorėiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I only saw the last hour or so of the Oscars. In the shots where they pan through the audience, the only LotR person I noticed was Sean Astin. Anybody (maybe who watched the whole thing) know who else was there? Just curious 'cause it seems like last year pretty much all of the actors who played main characters were there . . . .
Old 03-24-2003, 12:50 PM   #10
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

I didn't see Sean, but I saw PJ. That was suprising. I thought they'd all be there. And as they were showing Renee Zellweeger every 3 shots or so, I thought maybe the LotR people would get in too...but no....
Old 03-24-2003, 01:02 PM   #11
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OMG!!! Go Adrien Brody! (Ive been rooting for him forever )<P>Im watching the highlights tonight, but ive seen the list, and booed Chicago, etc. <P>OMG!!! The Pianist!! *faints*<P>(*apologises for not supporting Lotr!* Ok, so i support it, but its hardly award material... more crazy atmosphere only)
Old 03-24-2003, 01:10 PM   #12
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

What? Blasphemy! Just kidding, just kidding...I didn't root for LotR all the time...that is, I didn't root for it when it wasn't nominated. Well, I did, but only silently. Chicago didn't win best song. Hah! Eminem is better than you are....anything so that Chicago doesn't win...Chicago was actually quite good, but I'm rooting for LotR, so I'll look over that....<I>were</I> the LotR people except PJ and Sean and the people who did sound editing and I forget the name...visual something.... there?
Old 03-24-2003, 01:49 PM   #13
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dūm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
I only saw the first 3 hours of it. I don't know how long it went, but I went to bed at midnight. <P>I saw Sean, but I didn't see any of the others! That really surprises me; I thought that all of them would be there, since it was nominated for best picture and stuff. I was so dissapointed that Chicago won best picture and everything else, but I knew it would as soon as I saw it win all those other awards. Oh well, RotK won't let us down! (and if it does, I'll be mad )<P>Meela, what do you mean about LotR not being award material? Oh my . . .
Old 03-24-2003, 01:57 PM   #14
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

its just an epic. sure the whole world loves it. but especially now its ttt, its a bit dull. its not special enough this time round to get awards.<P>GaladrieloftheOlden, where did you get that GORGEOUS avatar pic??
Old 03-24-2003, 02:06 PM   #15
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dūm

Well, I just hope PJ does a fantastic enough job with RotK that the whole world doesn't think it is boring. I didn't think TTT was dull at all, but maybe you mean for non-obsessive people? <P>Yes GaladrieloftheOlden, very lovely avatar!
Old 03-24-2003, 02:22 PM   #16
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

oh, Rotk will be fantastic!! (Denethor.... *drool*)<P>Fotr is so huge cos its the first, rotk is huge cos its the finale, plus its the 'epic ending', and ttt is just that bridge in between- nothing particularly special.<P>And if you're implying that im in any way a non-obsessive, you are the most wrong person in the history of wrong!
Old 03-24-2003, 02:39 PM   #17
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>but I saw PJ.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>PJ wasn't at the Oscars. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson is opting to stay in New Zealand, where he's filming the third Rings film, rather than risk getting delayed in returning to the production.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This was at <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net." TARGET=_blank>www.theonering.net.</A> I saw Barrie Osbourne (Did I spell his name right?)and Sean Astin. TTT desvered all 6 of their Oscar nominations I think. Last night I was saying that I hated Chicago but now I'm thinking better. It's not Chicago's fault. It's the Academy we should be mad at!!!!!!! <p>[ March 24, 2003: Message edited by: Firondoiel ]
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 02:44 PM   #18
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dūm

Oh, I understand what you mean now, Meela. Yes, RotK will be awesome. And I didn't mean that you were not obsessive, I meant random people off the street that are not obsessive. Anyway, anybody who likes Denethor that much must be obsessive . . . hehe.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:52 PM   #19
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

<P>i have a strange attraction to the characters that nobody else is attracted to: Grima, Denethor, Treebeard (PLEASE dont ask... i dont get it either...), Theoden, Gandalf, etc. Mainly Denethor and Grima. Oh and that ranger guy who was talking with Faramir a lot (when they were bent over the map in the caves, etc.)
Old 03-24-2003, 02:53 PM   #20
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

(anyone know who he is? character name and actor name?)
Old 03-24-2003, 03:39 PM   #21
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dūm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>2) Good, fair competition. For those of you who have not seen Chicago, go to the theatre and see it. You will be pleasantly surprised. The movie is a great rendition of the musical, with amazing sets, good music, extremely talented actors, singers and dancers, and a story that is... a little ironic, I might admit, and with a pretty undeserving heroine, but very cool.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I've heard this from another LotR fanatic and I'm starting to want to see Chicago, despite my extreme loathing of Richard Gere. Curses upon you. <P>Did anyone else find it horribly disturbing that the clip they showed for TTT when they introduced it as one of the nominees for Best Picture was all about Gollum? I was appalled. TTT was <I>not</I> entirely about Gollum.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 03:59 PM   #22
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Did anyone else find it horribly disturbing that the clip they showed for TTT when they introduced it as one of the nominees for Best Picture was all about Gollum? I was appalled. TTT was not entirely about Gollum <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>YES! The others basicly showed their trailers without text(I'm a trailer junky/freak), LOTR showed the secne with gollem! That was funny for about a minute, but then I thought was that it? Ok, done ranting...<BR> Happy Adrian Brody won, Sean Astin should have been nomitated for something, the show ran far too long, Chicago and the Pianist were really good movies, and ROTK WILL win best picture next year.<BR>That's my thoughts, Happy Birthday Ocsar.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:28 PM   #23
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<A HREF="http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=he&cf=oscars_mm&id=1808475643&page=1" TARGET=_blank>Here</A> are some pics from the oscars.<P>Andy Serkis was there:<BR> <P>So was Sean Astin and his wife:<BR> <P>Just to recap (for my sake):<P>Best Picture Chicago<BR>Best Film Editing Chicago<BR>Best Sound Editing LOTR!<BR>Best Sound Chicago<BR>Best Art Direction Chicago<BR>Best Visual Effects LOTR!<P>BTW, the guy with the map's name is Parn according to my transcript. I don't know the actors name though.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:30 PM   #24
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Are me and my friend the only ones who noticed this?<P>When Jennifer Garner and "Mickey Mouse" were up on the stage, and Mickey took a ring out of the envelope and said "A ring? Thanks, Frodo," did you guys notice Sean Astin's face there? He looked like he was going to jump up and yell "Mister Frodo! Your Ring!" It was very cute.<P>Yes, I believe I saw Barrie Osbourne too. And my friend THOUGHT she saw Orly, but it was a false alarm. I was surprised as well; I thought that more people would be there.<P>Oh and Meela, I believe the guy that's with Faramir (so pretty...*drool*) is Parn in the movie. Not sure, and I don't know the actor's name.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 04:38 PM   #25
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Are me and my friend the only ones who noticed this?<BR>When Jennifer Garner and "Mickey Mouse" were up on the stage, and Mickey took a ring out of the envelope and said "A ring? Thanks, Frodo," did you guys notice Sean Astin's face there? He looked like he was going to jump up and yell "Mister Frodo! Your Ring!" It was very cute. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I saw that too! It was SOOO cute!!!!
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 04:39 PM   #26
Eressiė Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressiė Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressiė Ailin
Question

Here's a better picture of Sean:<P><BR>
Eressiė Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 04:41 PM   #27
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I think TTT got its fair share of Oscars. Yeah, it was a good movie, but look at the competition. I do think it deserved more nominations (ex: original score, cinematography, make up, costumes).<P>Like Ith said, Chicago really was a quality movie and is something you shouldn't judge before you see it. It's different than most musicals (because it's a Fosse musical of course), and some of you might be surprised. Also, Chicago is a completely different movie than TTT, so you can't really compare the two. I was very happy when Chicago won Best Picture (TTT was one of the last movies I expected to win) and when the producer said a thank you to Bob Fosse, I just had to shout, "OH, YEAH!"<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I saw Sean, but I didn't see any of the others! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>My mom suggested that the others perhaps were not there. Perhaps they are with PJ in NZ working on ROTK. Or else the camera really like Sean.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:05 PM   #28
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

While I didn't honestly <I>expect</I> The Two Towers to do well, I was hoping against hope that it would take home all six But at least it got recognized. I have high hopes for Return of the King next year, but even if it doesn't do too well at the Oscars, that's not what matters. In a few years, people will probably have forgotten about Chicago, A Beautiful Mind, etc, but it will be a long time, if ever, that Lord of the Rings is forgotten. It matters more what we the moviegoers think, rather than some people at the Acadamy <P>I LOVED the Mickey Mouse tie-in, that was awesome. I've never been much of a Mickey fan, but from now on, he's cool in my book "The Ring?! Very funny, Frodo!" My facial expression probably looked alot like Sean's *giggle*. And yes, he should have been up for best supporting actor!

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 08:28 PM   #29
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Orginally I was kind of bummed out about the Oscars because of the lack of nominations TTT received. But as I was watching last night I really got into the show, it was a really good show. Yes I do wish that the clip montage for TTT should have been different. But I have nothing against the academy, they did a way better job of awarding people than the Golden Globes or the SAG's. Adrien Broady was so Cool! (When he won I was so shocked I got up and started jumping up and down. I did the same thing when Eminem won, and Roman Polanski won, I was so surprised about those), he was the highlight of the night. ROTK will get it's night. Like I said before, just with the one best picture nomination for TTT. The academy is saying that the LOTR is more Godfather than Star Wars (which only the first film was nominated). I just hope that the academy (like us) believes that the best is yet to come.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:50 AM   #30
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A little off topic but did you SEE Adrien Brody?? He was so sweet! Oh I felt so happy for him! I really need to see the pianist now <P>Anyways I was really upset that TTT didn't get more awards and I can't get over the Sound and Sound editing thing, thats just funny I mean whats the difference?? Well I guess we should have expected that TTT wouldn't do so well. I think ROTK will be better awarded rather than TTT because usually the last in the series is best and I think they'll leave everything to that if you get what I mean. I hope PJ gets best director next year!<P>Most of the people I've talked to who have seen Chicago thought it was terrible! I haven't seen it so I can't really comment.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:05 AM   #31
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Most of the people I've talked to who have seen Chicago thought it was terrible! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Well, it really depends on who you talk to. If you ask someone who enjoys only action and comedy, they probably won't like Chicago. You have to be an artistic sort of person to enjoy this type of movie. Chicago is also quite racy, so that might be another reason.<P>I'm all ready to see ROTK take over the Oscars. Perhaps they'll make a world record for the most Oscar nominations (or wins). I have faith that ROTK will do well. Everyone likes endings the best. The middle (TTT) is everyone's least favorite part.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:44 AM   #32
Quirkette
Haunting Spirit

Quirkette has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I reckon I'm an artistic sort of person. "Chicago" was a major acheivement. But I only saw it once, and I saw "TTT" thrice, so don't bite! I can't get used to Sean Astin looking so dapper. And mature. Wish there were some close-ups of Andy Serkis. I've seen others but I never quite get a handle on his face somehow. Maybe I should rent that movie he's in. Something "Party" something? It just came out on video, what is it called?<BR>I saw "The Pianist" last night. Adrien Brody is incredible. Especially for being so young. Glad he won. Can't wait for LOTR to kick butt next year!<p>[ March 25, 2003: Message edited by: Quirkette ]
Old 03-25-2003, 09:55 AM   #33
Gabby Sorno

Sting

Okay, Okay....at least i havent been stoned yet ( not as in the drugs...as in the rock throughing, pain causing punishment). As an award show junkie, i was there when the Oscar nominations were released ( not exactly there...you know what i mean ) and the hosts were commenting on how Fantasy films hardly ever win anything more then costume, make-up or effects awards. At least FOTR won a lot of awards for those. And also everyone was saying that next year is LOTR's year...and PJ should get Best Director of a Motion Picture. And speaking of PJ...was he there? Becuase i only saw Sean Astin...oh oh, speaking of, did you guys see the interveiw with him and Joan Rivers on the pre-show?<P>Okay...i know i ramble..sorry. Namarie!<P>~Gab~
Old 03-25-2003, 12:02 PM   #34
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The problems with The Two Towers when it came to Oscar nominations were: a) let's face it, Fellowship did flop last year (not dissing it or anything, just saying Uncle Oscar likes to tread carefully); b) it's the second part of a trilogy, so hello the technical awards!; and c) Howard Shore's brilliant score was completely absent from the nominees!!<P>Saying that, though, I believe RotK will be up for at least Best Picture and Best Director next year, with acting nominations for Viggo and/or Elijah (and possibly Miranda Otto if she does more than stand around and look pretty - which, no offence meant, was basically all she did in TTT). It's going to sweep the board next year, because the awards will be for all three films even though it'll come under RotK.<P>One thing that really surprised me about this year's Oscars was Roman Polanski getting Best Director. I mean, the odds seemed stacked against him - it was practically guaranteed that Martin Scorcese would get it for Gangs, and then there's the small issue of him being arrested if he so much as sets foot on US soil...but well done to the guy nonetheless. And by the way, if you're going to give a musical Best Picture, where was Moulin Rouge last year?! Chicago's good, but MR actually managed to drag the genre into the 21st century, and surely deserves better than two technicals for that job.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:37 PM   #35
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Moulin Rouge should have definately won best picture last year. A Beautiful Mind was Ron Howard doing what he does best but, in my opinion, not advancing the medium. Moulin Rouge was exciting and inovative. There has been nothing else quite like it. It's another example of Oscar missing the boat.<P>I myself really don't care for award shows. In fact, I even forgot it was on Sunday night.<P>H.C.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:56 PM   #36
Atariel
Haunting Spirit

Atariel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I've also heard people calling LOTR "something for children". hello? are they confusing it with the Hobbit? LoTR is almost as violent as Gladiator (the one with Russell Crowe, not the old, English, saturday night entertainment poo)! <BR>personally, I think that bernard hill should have been nominated for best supporting, but hey! reality isn't ideal. <P>I'm a bit of a retard, so I don't actually know exactly who won but I know chicago won about 6. (my excuse is;I live in england and my family ain't big on TV!)<P>but, nevertheless, I think that 2 is still a pretty good achievement, and Pj should be rather pleased! <P>better luck to all of them next year!
Old 03-25-2003, 02:59 PM   #37
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dūm

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Are me and my friend the only ones who noticed this?<P>When Jennifer Garner and "Mickey Mouse" were up on the stage, and Mickey took a ring out of the envelope and said "A ring? Thanks, Frodo," did you guys notice Sean Astin's face there? He looked like he was going to jump up and yell "Mister Frodo! Your Ring!" It was very cute. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>yes! it was so cute
Old 03-25-2003, 03:05 PM   #38
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dūm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>with acting nominations for Viggo and/or Elijah (and possibly Miranda Otto if she does more than stand around and look pretty - which, no offence meant, was basically all she did in TTT). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sounds funny to say this, but I don't think any of them should get acting nominations. I'm not saying that the acting wasn't superb or anything, but... well, acting nominations tend to single out one actor among the ensemble and it definitely wasn't the work of just one actor. I find it hard to pick out a leading role in LotR because all of the characters seem to play a major and supporting role, despite how little or much screen-time they get. I wonder if any of them would agree with me, but I'd prefer to see all of the other movies nominated for "best (supporting) actor/actress" than RotK having Viggo or Elijah or anyone else stuck in those categories. Or maybe I'm just really weird.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 03:07 PM   #39
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Viggo would probably get an award for Rotk in a smaller awards thing, but not the Oscars. I agree, it wasn't a single person. There are so many people adding to the film, you can't give an award to one.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:36 AM   #40
Mordor_Queen
Haunting Spirit

Mordor_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

TTT deserved all six!