The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Things that would not have happened if not for the movies

Yeah, it's a long title. I looked around a bit for a similar thread but there isn't any. So....

I was listening to sports radio and the mic jockey was talking about how Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings ought to be the MVP this year. Here's what he said:

Quote:
"The only way to stop Adrian Peterson is to put Gandalf the Grey in the middle of the field and have him say, 'You shall not pass!'"
I laughed. .... and then considered that the analogy places a football running back on par with a Balrog.

Now, arguably, this simply would not have occurred except for the movies, even though the line comes straight from the books.

So..... if you have experienced something having to do with the Tolkien milieu, be it first, second or third hand, that you think would/could not have happened except for the movies, post it here.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I don’t know if this counts, but it certainly wouldn’t have happened without the films...
I watched this Hong Kong flick yesterday called the Blade of Kings (2004). It was quite a silly movie in my opinion, but one thing caught my attention: the very blade of kings looked oddly familiar - or what do you think? Here it is compared with Sting.

They even kept the inscription on the crossguard! It reads “in yngyl im” which apparently means “of spiders I (am)”. There weren’t any spiders in the movie, but hey, it’s a very cool hilt.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Clever thread idea, lmp! My suggestions aren't to pop culture links but something more tangible.

Quite possibly meeting everyone on this forum. Not simply joining the Tolkien Society but travelling to England three times now to attend their meetings and hook up with Downers.

And maybe that Mythopoeic Society gathering this year, where you and I might meet, along with other Downers.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 01-03-2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: the phantom menace
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing spawn of ungoliant View Post
I don’t know if this counts, but it certainly wouldn’t have happened without the films...
I watched this Hong Kong flick yesterday called the Blade of Kings (2004). It was quite a silly movie in my opinion, but one thing caught my attention: the very blade of kings looked oddly familiar - or what do you think?
I think they simply stuck a different blade on the hilt of a movie souvenir sword. Very cheap flick, I take it?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I doubt this would have ever happened...it burns us precious. *twitch*

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jiml9/gollum...ap-battle-427v
Old 01-04-2013, 05:24 AM   #6
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I strongly suspect that without the film, any kind of film/TV fantasy would not have got very far. Fantasy films were very much a 'joke' before LotR was adapted for the screen, though from the first moment I saw Robin Of Sherwood I knew it was possible to make good screen fantasy that wasn't pure cheese or 'just for children'.

No LotR films - no Game of Thrones/Merlin/Narnia/Stardust etc.

I'd also argue that they made more women and girls realise that sci-fi and fantasy are actually great fun and that it's OK to admit in public that you are more interested in Hobbits than hairdressing. And the films managed this without even having to make Arwen swing a sword at Helms Deep.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #7
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dűm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Yep, the 2000s saw a big boost to the fantasy genre in film and books. Tolkein's influence has only grown with time, to the dismay of critics like Germaine Greer..............
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
Elyna of Rivendell
Animated Skeleton

Elyna of Rivendell has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I'd also argue that they made more women and girls realise that sci-fi and fantasy are actually great fun and that it's OK to admit in public that you are more interested in Hobbits than hairdressing.
That is very true. I think it is great because even though nothing could stop me loving LotR, it would be annoying to be judged for it.

I also think that it would have been less well known among the general population. I mean yeah people who read this sort of stuff would know, but i do't think SO many people would have seen/read/heard of it.
Elyna of Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyna of Rivendell View Post
That is very true. I think it is great because even though nothing could stop me loving LotR, it would be annoying to be judged for it.

I also think that it would have been less well known among the general population. I mean yeah people who read this sort of stuff would know, but i do't think SO many people would have seen/read/heard of it.
Hard to quantify that sort of thing– “Lord of the Rings” was always the single most *recognisable* fantasy title around– very often the *only* one mainstream readers could name. (That has probably changed now due to the genre overall becoming more popular.)
Old 08-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #10
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
Quite possibly meeting everyone on this forum.
That is most likely very true! I'm pretty sure the Wight started up the site after news of the movies broke. Anyway it was the movie news that made me pick up the books again after several years, which subsequently led me to "alta vista" (doesn't have quite the same ring, eh?) Tolkien.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I think they simply stuck a different blade on the hilt of a movie souvenir sword. Very cheap flick, I take it?
Hey, not everyone has Avatar money to tell their tale with. Respect! At least they changed the blade around.

I figured this must have been a Netflix find, and sure enough: "A cruel empress rules over an ancient land where men are subservient to women. But conflict arises when a prophecy reveals that a boy will become king and bring back the male regime. Now, unlikely hero Char must restore equality between the sexes."

Hmm, an unlikely hero who is really a Chosen One, you say? How original! And he restores equality between the sexes... by bringing back the male regime and putting those cruel ladies back in their place? I withdraw that "respect" comment, even in jest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I strongly suspect that without the film, any kind of film/TV fantasy would not have got very far.
I don't know -- I agree that the success of the LotR movies kind of opened the floodgates, but it feels like as the Star Wars/videogame/D&D generation came of age, it was inevitable that fantasy would break through to mainstream success.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill View Post
I don't know -- I agree that the success of the LotR movies kind of opened the floodgates, but it feels like as the Star Wars/videogame/D&D generation came of age, it was inevitable that fantasy would break through to mainstream success.
I tend to agree, although I will also add the fact that it was a movie trilogy created prolonged exposure that helped cement fantasy as a genre.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
Mornorngűr
Animated Skeleton

Mornorngűr has just left Hobbiton.
If it weren't for the movies, people would actually accept Sauron as being incarnate with an actual body, rather than foolishly believing how Jackson depicted him.

Also there wouldn't be thousands of threads and posts all over the internet with people arguing about it.
Mornorngűr is offline   Reply With Quote