The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2020, 02:01 PM   #9801
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
Enemy?
Yes! So now 'reduced title' - what goes with Enemy?
Old 06-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #9802
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Yes! So now 'reduced title' - what goes with Enemy?
THE Enemy?
Old 06-14-2020, 03:27 PM   #9803
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
THE Enemy?
Noo. You need another word for 'reduced'.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:15 PM   #9804
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Is 4 lazy lob which was one of the insults Bilbo taunted the spiders with?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:34 AM   #9805
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

So we can see it:

Quote:
1. Absence in brides met with initial resistance
OLD MAN WILLOW: Whiskerless traveller's joy at avoiding extremes of hosiery
3. Men grow out baffled at this louse's conversation
4. Throw after the idle
5. Unseen; hidden
6. Reduced title for foe
GALADRIEL'S MIRROR: This lass railed around her reflector
Old 06-15-2020, 12:58 PM   #9806
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Is 4 lazy lob which was one of the insults Bilbo taunted the spiders with?
It is Mith!
Old 06-15-2020, 01:00 PM   #9807
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

1. Absence in brides met with initial resistance
3. Men grow out baffled at this louse's conversation
LAZY LOB: Throw after the idle
5. Unseen; hidden
6. Reduced title for foe
Old 06-15-2020, 01:42 PM   #9808
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Still no clue about 1. BRIDES can sort of become BRIGANDS, but there is no absence. What can be called an absence? Lack? Truancy? Void?
Old 06-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #9809
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

COILING for the password?

Barmy idea, but ... willow roots are in coils, spider webs can coil ... er ... the water in Galadriel's mirror can coil or swirl around ... and the foe clue might be Necromancer ... which, er, doesn't coil.

I'll get me coat.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:01 PM   #9810
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Still no clue about 1. BRIDES can sort of become BRIGANDS, but there is no absence. What can be called an absence? Lack? Truancy? Void?
Yes yes! Lack ... in brides ... and you already had the riders ...
Old 06-15-2020, 05:02 PM   #9811
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
COILING for the password?

Barmy idea, but ... willow roots are in coils, spider webs can coil ... er ... the water in Galadriel's mirror can coil or swirl around ... and the foe clue might be Necromancer ... which, er, doesn't coil.

I'll get me coat.
Not coiling but I love the inventiveness.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #9812
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Yes yes! Lack ... in brides ... and you already had the riders ...
*facepalm* duh. Black Riders. Took me long enough.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:42 AM   #9813
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wormtongue for the louse?

(Grow men out).

Bowling?
Old 06-16-2020, 02:23 PM   #9814
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

RIDERS, BLACK: Absence in brides met with initial resistance
WORMTONGUE Men grow out baffled at this louse's conversation
LAZY LOB: Throw after the idle
5. Unseen; hidden
6. Reduced title for foe

Well done G55 and Pervinca on the clues but still no dice on the password I'm afraid.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #9815
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Ohhh! Is it Rowling? For the things that had a Tolkien parallel? *lightbulb*
Old 06-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #9816
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

RIDERS, BLACK: Absence in brides met with initial resistance (dementors)
OLD MAN WILLOW: Whiskerless traveller's joy at avoiding extremes of hosiery (whomping willow)
WORMTONGUE Men grow out baffled at this louse's conversation (wormtail)
LAZY LOB: Throw after the idle (aragog)
I Unseen; hidden
N Reduced title for foe
GALADRIEL'S MIRROR: This lass railed around her reflector (pensieve)

You got it G55! Also please note I made this password before all the controversy she's just caused.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:43 PM   #9817
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
You got it G55! Also please note I made this password before all the controversy she's just caused.
I live under a rock and don't know abiut the controversy. But a novel and a personal opinion are very different things, and the author and the person are very different things too. One should neither condemn nor condone one because of the other. In any case, that is an absolutely brilliant idea for a password! Two thumbs up for the theme!

I am still finding the clues a bit difficult without a straight element, but if we just have to reduce enemy, can it be... (E)NEMY?
Old 06-16-2020, 08:51 PM   #9818
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Stabbing in the dark that N something to do with Necromancer which would also be a fitting description of Voldemort and that I might be invisible Harry has an invisibility cloak and the ring makes most people invisible and the Elvish cloaks male you blend in

Old 06-16-2020, 11:46 PM   #9819
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

What an utterly BRILLIANT password, Kath, and your first one, too!
Old 06-17-2020, 06:36 AM   #9820
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Or maybe something like NAMELESS for N? I'm sure Sauron is called the Nameless Enemy at least once, and old I Am Lord is 'He Who Shall Not Be Named'.

Agreeing with the others - this is a fantastic password, though with no straight clues it's been a real struggle.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:05 AM   #9821
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I might be invisible Harry has an invisibility cloak and the ring makes most people invisible and the Elvish cloaks male you blend in
On that note, how about Isildur's Bane?

Edit: a browse through Enc of Arda also revealed Inscrutable. But no relation to HP, unless a pun on Unspeakables.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-17-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:59 AM   #9822
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

RIDERS, BLACK: Absence in brides met with initial resistance (dementors)
OLD MAN WILLOW: Whiskerless traveller's joy at avoiding extremes of hosiery (whomping willow)
WORMTONGUE Men grow out baffled at this louse's conversation (wormtail)
LAZY LOB: Throw after the idle (aragog)
INVISIBLE Unseen; hidden (cloak vs ring)
NAMELESS ENEMY Reduced title for foe (he who must not be named)
GALADRIEL'S MIRROR: This lass railed around her reflector (pensieve)

You all figured it out! Sorry Hui for the no straight clues. I had no idea how to even start going about these so I just went with what Google managed to teach me.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:30 AM   #9823
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
You all figured it out! Sorry Hui for the no straight clues. I had no idea how to even start going about these so I just went with what Google managed to teach me.
I loved the password and the theme! It was a bit tough to start, as Hui said, because there were no straight clues to follow. But we managed anyways. I wish I could rep you, but apparently WW was too recent.

I learned how to do these clues from the famous Post #7. But password clues don't need to cryptic, we just default to those for whatever reason. I might do something non-cryptic on purpose for my next one to throw in some variability. In fact, I think I have a fun idea in mind...
Old 06-18-2020, 10:23 AM   #9824
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Um?

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #9825
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Um?
You're back! Just on time for a perfectly themed password.

This password probably took longer to make than it will take to solve. I thought to include some instructions at first, but then I thought it would tumble faster than I can confirm responses. So let's try without instructions at first, but hints will be given freely as this is an experimental thing. The piece I will give is that asterisked clues have the "red letter" not as their first letter.

1. I eat well myself, and if you see what I mean, it’s better than cooking.
2. I do, and now, if you have the floor, I don't care if you say Aranya or Kingsfoil for now.
3. I am Dimrill Dale Falls, owner of 10 new Ballins in Yeastrade Morei.
4. That darkness lies behind us, and our to to take turn our backward upon it, and our will will don't desire to returned thither even on intelligent. Westwards our hearts to to take achieved turn, and our believable this that our shall found lit.
5*. The three for us taking abrue to don't challenge that hundred, then our go taking ahead and speak taking feigned voices, lead the them in onto wood
6. Myself take save you are a the to lasted. You are a take always only failed my and always myself take recovered you are. Myself having you are a originate I father and himself originate for old. Conditionally to ever you are a come the originate forges the for true king the under mountain, went with currently and speedily good!
7. Unique rankings as a criterion for everyone A unique ranking to find them in a unique ranking so that everyone can enter and bind them in the dark.
8*. L? Why worry about each other? Will he give me rest at night or during the day?
9*. The language has changed dramatically; But the wrong name indicates. A dream? I have not heard any reports that allow the truth.
10*. Hello doll! Congratulations, doll! You call Dong Delu! Call Dong! Leave it together! Completed! Tom Boom, Jolly Tom, Tom Pompidillo!
11*. Stay, resist, fight against the government, keep secret, enter the government like a tower, break trust…
12*. So I said we would keep doing it, and I would increase the penalty. Work is an issue that we must work on in her song until the big day.
13. I understand your review, but some people know. If you want to answer, why don't you speak a common language with the West in the usual way?
Old 06-19-2020, 12:08 PM   #9826
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Dearest cub, are you feeling quite well?

Old 06-19-2020, 01:57 PM   #9827
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

1. Gollum?

Old 06-19-2020, 02:42 PM   #9828
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
#11. FINROD? (Or FELAGUND, perhaps)

hS
Old 06-19-2020, 06:43 PM   #9829
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1 seems to be a paraphrase of what Bilbo says to the trolls when they capture him.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #9830
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

It looks a bit like chunks of text have gone back and forth through Google translate.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:21 PM   #9831
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
#11. FINROD? (Or FELAGUND, perhaps)

hS
Correct. The answer is Finrod, with I as the password letter. To be filled in on the computer rather than phone.

Quote:
1 seems to be a paraphrase of what Bilbo says to the trolls when they capture him.
Indeed. Bilbo is the answer for #1, password letter is B.

Quote:
It looks a bit like chunks of text have gone back and forth through Google translate.
Bingo! I knew you'd get there without me telling you the algorithm.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:01 AM   #9832
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Is #7 the One Ring inscription?

Unique rankings as a criterion for everyone A unique ranking to find them in a unique ranking so that everyone can enter and bind them in the dark.

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Also number 10: that song from Tom Bombadil. Hey doll, deary doll, or whatever it was. I never liked Tom Bombadil.
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom

Last edited by Blind Guardian; 06-20-2020 at 12:05 AM.
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:07 AM   #9833
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Those look like google translate versions of canonical quotes...

Old 06-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #9834
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
Is #7 the One Ring inscription?

Unique rankings as a criterion for everyone A unique ranking to find them in a unique ranking so that everyone can enter and bind them in the dark.

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Also number 10: that song from Tom Bombadil. Hey doll, deary doll, or whatever it was. I never liked Tom Bombadil.
Correct for both.

7. Preciousss
10. Bombadil, letter D

I still haven't gotten to the computer for a proper filling in, but it's coming, I promise...
Old 06-20-2020, 07:33 AM   #9835
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Those look like google translate versions of canonical quotes...
Yes.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:42 AM   #9836
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

8. Sounds rather like what Saruman says to Gandalf, Theoden and Co at Isengard.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:15 AM   #9837
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
8. Sounds rather like what Saruman says to Gandalf, Theoden and Co at Isengard.
Bingo! Somehow "well" got shortened to the like-sounding L, and I am not sure which language is responsible for that, but I find it amusing.

Any guesses for the theme yet?

1. BILBO: I eat well myself, and if you see what I mean, it’s better than cooking. (I am a good cook myself, and cook better than I cook, if you see what I mean.)
2. I do, and now, if you have the floor, I don't care if you say Aranya or Kingsfoil for now.
4. That darkness lies behind us, and our to to take turn our backward upon it, and our will will don't desire to returned thither even on intelligent. Westwards our hearts to to take achieved turn, and our believable this that our shall found lit.
5*. The three for us taking abrue to don't challenge that hundred, then our go taking ahead and speak taking feigned voices, lead the them in onto wood
6. Myself take save you are a the to lasted. You are a take always only failed my and always myself take recovered you are. Myself having you are a originate I father and himself originate for old. Conditionally to ever you are a come the originate forges the for true king the under mountain, went with currently and speedily good!
7. PRECIOUSSS: Unique rankings as a criterion for everyone A unique ranking to find them in a unique ranking so that everyone can enter and bind them in the dark. (One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.)
8*. SARUMAN: L? Why worry about each other? Will he give me rest at night or during the day?(Well? Why must you disturb my rest? Will you give me no peace at all by night or day?)
9*. The language has changed dramatically; But the wrong name indicates. A dream? I have not heard any reports that allow the truth.
10*. TOM BOMBADIL: Hello doll! Congratulations, doll! You call Dong Delu! Call Dong! Leave it together! Completed! Tom Boom, Jolly Tom, Tom Pompidillo! (Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo! Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow! Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!)
11*. FINROD: Stay, resist, fight against the government, keep secret, enter the government like a tower, break trust… (Sang in answer a song of staying, Resisting, battling against power, Of secrets kept, strength like a tower, And trust unbroken…)
12*. So I said we would keep doing it, and I would increase the penalty. Work is an issue that we must work on in her song until the big day.
13. I understand your review, but some people know. If you want to answer, why don't you speak a common language with the West in the usual way?

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-20-2020 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Formatting
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #9838
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

#4: I thought for a while this could be one of the Finarfinions avoiding discussing the Kinslaying with Thingol, but then I thought of BEOR to Finrod: "A darkness lies behind us" etc.

#2: 'Kingsfoil' gives this away as ARAGORN sassing the herb-master of Minas Tirith.

I can't wait to find out who owns ten new Balins!

hS
Old 06-20-2020, 06:21 PM   #9839
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
#4: I thought for a while this could be one of the Finarfinions avoiding discussing the Kinslaying with Thingol, but then I thought of BEOR to Finrod: "A darkness lies behind us" etc.

#2: 'Kingsfoil' gives this away as ARAGORN sassing the herb-master of Minas Tirith.

I can't wait to find out who owns ten new Balins!

hS
Correct on both! Will add original quotes later, again, when on the computer and have access to the texts.

PS. The tip about putting empty highlught boxes while on the computer is a genious idea. It would be a total nightmare on the phone.

1. BILBO: I eat well myself, and if you see what I mean, it’s better than cooking. (I am a good cook myself, and cook better than I cook, if you see what I mean.)
2. ARAGORN: I do, and now, if you have the floor, I don't care if you say Aranya or Kingsfoil for now.
4. BEOR: That darkness lies behind us, and our to to take turn our backward upon it, and our will will don't desire to returned thither even on intelligent. Westwards our hearts to to take achieved turn, and our believable this that our shall found lit.
7. PRECIOUSSS: Unique rankings as a criterion for everyone A unique ranking to find them in a unique ranking so that everyone can enter and bind them in the dark. (One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.)
8*. SARUMAN: L? Why worry about each other? Will he give me rest at night or during the day?(Well? Why must you disturb my rest? Will you give me no peace at all by night or day?)
10*. TOM BOMBADIL: Hello doll! Congratulations, doll! You call Dong Delu! Call Dong! Leave it together! Completed! Tom Boom, Jolly Tom, Tom Pompidillo! (Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo! Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow! Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!)
11*. FINROD: Stay, resist, fight against the government, keep secret, enter the government like a tower, break trust… (Sang in answer a song of staying, Resisting, battling against power, Of secrets kept, strength like a tower, And trust unbroken…)
Old 06-21-2020, 02:43 AM   #9840
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

5 reminds me of three hunters...