The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-23-2011, 03:32 AM   #41
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
They might... in lakes of fire... and it was more the directional qualities than the medium that was the issue...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #42
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
They might... in lakes of fire... and it was more the directional qualities than the medium that was the issue...
Negative. For directional control underwater they'd need some sort of fins at the back end, wouldn't they? Er...never mind.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #43
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Negative. For directional control underwater they'd need some sort of fins at the back end, wouldn't they? Er...never mind.
Are you suggesting penguins have fins on that logic? I think we know that at least one Finn has penguins...

Old 07-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #44
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Are you suggesting penguins have fins on that logic? I think we know that at least one Finn has penguins...
You've just proven my case. Penguins and Finns have a known affinity. Finns and Balrogs? Not so much.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #45
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

After my experience of some Werewolf games I don't think that holds water. Besides the Finns invented saunas. They must be creatures of fire.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #46
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

When I think on it, maybe Balrogs having wings isn't so far fetched. After all, Band On the Run was a pretty good song.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #47
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

But Mull of Kintyre was dreadful (we are showing our age dreadfully Inzi darling). I will argue the toss indefinitely that Balrogs had wings conceding only that they might be of shadow and not enable flight... but bagpipes are truly the work of Melkor* save that for love of Tevildo he would not so torture a cat,

*I'll make and exception for Highland Cathedral music which stirs the soul even for one such as I with not a drop of Scots blood.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #48
Eruhen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Eruhen has just left Hobbiton.
WHAT?! Bagpipes the work of the Morgoth?! What blasphemy! Bagpipes are the purest expression of the Music this side of the Dagor Dagorath!

And, Balrogs must have been able to swim. Remember in TTT when everyone's favorite Istar says that he and the Balrog of Moria 'plunged into deep water' after they fell?

QED. And shenanigans on anyone who says otherwise.
Eruhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #49
Archaic Elf
Animated Skeleton

Archaic Elf has just left Hobbiton.

*Disclaimer: Don't consume energy drinks. Drink something healthy instead. Water.
**All apologies to John Howe.

Quote:
I think it does say and wings are cool. Why wouldn't they have them?
I think we have a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBrooke View Post
So, what happens when the UAMB and MUBA inevitably merge and form one group? Will the balrogs develop a personality crisis? Or is there actually two species of balrog, Valarauko ráma and Valarauko carnë.
It doesn't really matter what they do in the end. The United Association of Dragons have the patent on flight. The balrogs can masquerade all they want in their little wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eruhen View Post
And, Balrogs must have been able to swim. Remember in TTT when everyone's favorite Istar says that he and the Balrog of Moria 'plunged into deep water' after they fell?

QED. And shenanigans on anyone who says otherwise.
Is this your way of saying those wings are just fins? As if. But yes they can swim.

Last edited by Archaic Elf; 07-24-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Archaic Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:06 AM   #50
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eruhen View Post
WHAT?! Bagpipes the work of the Morgoth?! What blasphemy! Bagpipes are the purest expression of the Music this side of the Dagor Dagorath!
No that would be Bach.

Archaic Elf - that might be it - personally I think Red Bull is orc draught but this may explain why they don't try to fly so much :http://youtu.be/vOBKA9q_DWU

Old 07-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #51
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Red Bull? Bullsh..!... erm, ah, umm, yes. Right. That's for cows, not Balrogs or ballrogs or ballroughs or even bullfrogs... even though the latter might fancy themselves suitable for that drink....

Quote:
*Pouts* They might be able to glide...
...off the top of Zirakzigil... ?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #52
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

That ended up being more of a plummet but he had been hewn and was possibly also still water logged - bursting into flame again may not have been enough to render wings useful in air so soon after water..think of all that steam.... I think there is failure in balrog waterproofing that may have been identified here...