The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2003, 11:17 AM   #641
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I thought of something interesting today: I wonder if one could go an entire day quoting LOTR? If anyone said anything to you, you would have to reply with an LOTR quote, and anything you said would have to be a quote.
You know what, that sounds rather challenging. I'll have to try that at school this year. (not during classes of course, but that would be interesting, too. Hmmm....)
Old 08-01-2003, 08:13 PM   #642
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

That would be really hard. It would be a little easier if book quotes and movie quotes are allowed. I think I will try it!

When teachers ask if you have a nickname, and you ask them to call you by your elvish name, and when they ask you how you got that nickname, you give them a long, detailed explanation.

That's quite a run-on sentence, isn't it?
Old 08-01-2003, 08:24 PM   #643
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Quote:
It would be a little easier if book quotes and movie quotes are allowed. I think I will try it!
Oh, but they are both allowed. That does make it easier. Good luck with your quoting! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 02:13 PM   #644
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

Quote:
That is awesome! Every hotel should do that! Next time I stay in a hotel, I should just demand LOTR treatment. Just imagine the weird looks I'd get.
I know! I was so excited when I saw it. I missed a little bit of it though [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] . Everyone in my family just rolled their eyes when they came in my room and saw me watching it.

ooh! My Gandalf on Shadowfax and Sam,Frodo, and ringwraith action figures came today!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] *explodes from excitement* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

ok, I have one....
When you always have microsoft word open because your always on the Downs and you check all of your post's spelling and grammer, so they don't end up on the typos page. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (I'm sure I make a lot of mistakes, anyway. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img])

[ August 02, 2003: Message edited by: elfearz1 ]
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 02:44 PM   #645
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Oh dear, I thought of another one...
you automatically say "Hullo" instead of "Hello" and yours friends are used to it.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:43 PM   #646
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

When you're playing cards, and you notice that two of the jacks look like Sam and Legolas, one of the queens looks like Galadriel, and one of the kings looks like Gandalf.
Old 08-02-2003, 05:25 PM   #647
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Quote:
When you're playing cards, and you notice that two of the jacks look like Sam and Legolas, one of the queens looks like Galadriel, and one of the kings looks like Gandalf.
heh heh heh

Oh my, I am begining to scare myself...

When you wash your hands a million times before using your books

you make people who have food/drink/dirty hands stay 10 feet away from your collection telling them everything is "worth more then your life" (I do this just about everyday. Some people get rather offended, can't imagine why...)

(this is similar to something someone else said) When you tell your sister for the millionth time the difference between Elves and "Elfs" and she is so tired of hearing it she threatens you with a spoon.

You email Fox news telling them that E.L.F. gives Elves a bad name. bahahahahhaha (I couldn't help myself [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] ) My mom was the one who told me anway, she said: "these people call themselves Elf! Come watch this news report, you love Elves." Something like that.
Old 08-02-2003, 09:39 PM   #648
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Oh, Eru... I see way too much of myself on this site... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Okay, here we go...
-When creepy little kids you don't even know tell you that you look like a hobbit *it was scary...*

-When the above happens and you take it as a compliment *I'm quite flattered...*

-When your friends refuse to walk on the left side of the movie theatre because that's where the RotK poster is, and they wouldn't want to be seen with you while you squeal and drool... *heh heh*

I love you guys, [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] It's so hard to find such Tolkien-appriciative people nowadays... Thank Elbereth for the Barrow-Downs!
Old 08-03-2003, 09:40 AM   #649
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Hi Amarantha! Welcome to the downs!

Quote:
I love you guys, It's so hard to find such Tolkien-appriciative people nowadays... Thank Elbereth for the Barrow-Downs!
I agree!

no one will walk with me in the movie theatre too, because I cling onto the poster (TTT, because no ROTK posters are up in our movie theatres yet.) and scream and jump up and down and my friends have to drag me away from the poster and pry my hands off of it.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2003, 10:33 AM   #650
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I'm pretty obsessed. I baked a pie and cut the "Doors of Durin" in the top crust.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:52 AM   #651
Lëowen
Haunting Spirit

Location: my computer chair, being smothered by my impossibly large cat
Lëowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lëowen
Shield

I taped four pages of construction paper together, then drew the Doors of Durin on it and taped it up on my closet door (my mom wouldn't let me draw on the door itself). It looks pretty cool, actually.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:19 PM   #652
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

My friend once asked a person who worked at the theater if they had any spare RotK posters.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:44 PM   #653
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Quote:
Oh? And which ones would those be? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
you make people who have food/drink/dirty hands stay 10 feet away from your collection telling them everything is "worth more then your life"
I'm always nervous when I let my friends handle any of my books, Tolkien books in particular. There's only one friend I can trust wiht them, and that's because he's even more concerned about the welfare of books than I am.

Quote:
When creepy little kids you don't even know tell you that you look like a hobbit
How about the opposite? When creepy little kids you don't know look like hobbits themselves! (We have a few of those at my church. One of friends says that one of the little kids looks like Gollum.)

Quote:
I'm pretty obsessed. I baked a pie and cut the "Doors of Durin" in the top crust.
That's really cool! I should seriously try that. Perhaps on my birthday cake..... *wheels in mind start turning furioulsy*

And now for a few of my own! (All of which I have done)

When you go through those catalogs of special cakes at the grocery store, looking for a LOTR cake, and either think about how unfair it is that they have a Star Wars cake and a Harry Potter cake, but they couldn't be bothered to make a LOTR cake, or else you get all happy because they do have LOTR cakes, and you start thinking up a way to get one of those fo ryour next birhtday party. (Now that was a run-on sentence worthy of the Round-About Game thread).

When you're at a bookstore and your mom asks if they have any old LOTR posters (the ones that they hang up around the store) so that you could have one. They've never given me one, though. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

When you think it's a major accomplishment to get other people more obssessed.

When you get really excited that someone mentions Tolkien or LOTR in conversation, and start going on and on about that.

When conversation dies, you immediately say something about LOTR in hopes of starting a discussion about that.

You get all excited when they play a preview advertising the TTT DVD at Blockbuster, and you watch it three times while you're there. (I did that yesterday!)

When you watch a movie that has an LOTR actor in it, and that fact causes you great amusement.

When you do the above and you just can't see the actor as whatever character they're supposed to be, instead you think "Hey! There's Boromir!"

When you get really hyper after coming home from Blockbuster (see above) partially because you're so bored and partially because it's possible that you will get to see your favorite LOTR actor in another good movie (maybe I'm just weird).

When you really bored at said Blockbuster, so you wander around looking for LOTR movies (new or cartoon).

When you have time to kill at the library, so you wander around looking at Tolkien books that you already have for no particular reason.

Well, that was a long list! Long live LOTR-obssession! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 08-03-2003, 05:47 PM   #654
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

In hindsight, that may very well have been my longest post on this thread ever. I hope you all don't mind it's length! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-03-2003, 05:55 PM   #655
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh? And which ones would those be?
The king of diamonds, the queen of spades, and jack of clubs(Sam), and the jack of diamonds(Legolas).
Old 08-03-2003, 06:02 PM   #656
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Lëowen You're mom won't let you draw on the door? That's a drag! I let my kids decorate their own rooms! One has an "under the sea" mural; one has an "indiana jones" sorta theme, Yes, inca stones painted on the wall; and the third has a castle in her room.

I would love to paint the Doors of Durin on my closet!
Old 08-03-2003, 06:14 PM   #657
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Thanks. I agree with you on the jack of clubs. It does kind of look like Sam.

Old 08-03-2003, 06:19 PM   #658
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

You might have a different type of cards. They always have different pictures on the royal cards and jokers. Also since I was typing that from memory I might have gotten them mixed up. I'll have to check, but I'm being kicked off the computer, so I can't tell you now, sorry.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:29 PM   #659
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Your next two vacations are devoted to Tolkien events in far and distant places...and you're working on a third.

You scour the Web for life-size murals of Middle Earth-esque wallpaper (the kind that you paste up, not for computer screens).

You wish you had the nerve to make your non-LOTR obsessed daughter a birthday cake with the Doors of Durin design! (LOL, Raefindel) Maybe "Happy birthday" in Elvish...
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 06:41 PM   #660
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

You get ideas from this thread...

You have no time for any other computer related activity because you're too busy looking on all the threads that you post on on the Downs.

You sew beads onto your clothing as a hobby, and your latest three projects are both LotR related (the Nauglamir on a shirt and a Silmaril on a cape and your LotR initials on a hat).

You and Luthien are pretty much the only two people on the Round-about Game who are bothering to try to make really long ones.

Oh, yes, instead of listening to the radio on a long road-trip you listen to FotR audiobooks (the unabridged edition, of course!)

[ August 03, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 07:06 PM   #661
Lëowen
Haunting Spirit

Location: my computer chair, being smothered by my impossibly large cat
Lëowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lëowen
Shield

Raefindel, my mom let's my draw on my walls, just not on the door. In fact, quite near to my closet is a Tolkien symbol, and the line 'One Ring to rule them all and in the darkness bind them' written in Elvish script (like on the Ring), in runes, and just in Black Speech. I think I wrote the entire Ring poem somewhere on my wall, too....

[ August 05, 2003: Message edited by: Lëowen ]
Old 08-04-2003, 09:36 AM   #662
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

When you actually contemplate cutting up your $80 (don't know how to convert that sorry) choir dress (which you still need for this next year) because the material would make a good elven cloak.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:27 PM   #663
Maikadurwen
Wight

Maikadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maikadurwen Send a message via MSN to Maikadurwen Send a message via Yahoo to Maikadurwen
Question

when you play with the little frodo and sam figures of your birthday cake [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] guilty [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2003, 07:28 PM   #664
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
Hey! I was going to say that! Stop it, Tinuviel! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
You and Luthien are pretty much the only two people on the Round-about Game who are bothering to try to make really long ones.
Go us! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
when you play with the little frodo and sam figures of your birthday cake
Where did you get those? I need some!

Old 08-04-2003, 08:02 PM   #665
Maikadurwen
Wight

Send a message via AIM to Maikadurwen Send a message via MSN to Maikadurwen Send a message via Yahoo to Maikadurwen
Sting

i got them at.................dum dum dum .............uh.............bi-lo [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
im crazy arent i

i have just made my friend who despises lotr love lotr [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] yay
Old 08-04-2003, 08:11 PM   #666
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
quote:

Hey! I was going to say that! Stop it, Tinuviel!
That looks awfully familiar...

Anyway, your mother is starting to call you Tinuviel, just so that she can be sure of getting your attention.

Your best friend made you a CD of her favorite movie music and three of the tracks are from LotR and even without the movie and/or the other tracks, when they come on you start playing the scene in your head. (even if the next track is the Jurassic Park theme...)
Old 08-04-2003, 09:34 PM   #667
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Boots

-After wearing it and finding out that you're not invisible, you return your Ring to the store, claiming that it "doesn't work"

-You track down the factory your Ring was made in so that you can cast it into the firey chasm from whence it came

-You knock out some poor factory workers in doing so.

-You had to show this site to your doctor to prove that there really are others like you.

-You speak Elvish to the milk in the bottom of your cereal bowl, hoping it will show you the scouring of your hometown.

Heh heh heh... This thread gives me some great ideas...thanks, guys! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ...Hey! Wait! that's another!

-This thread isn't a warning to you, it's where you pick up ideas...
Old 08-04-2003, 10:57 PM   #668
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Quote:
When your friends refuse to walk on the left side of the movie theatre because that's where the RotK poster is, and they wouldn't want to be seen with you while you squeal and drool... *heh heh*
Quote:
I cling onto the poster (TTT, because no ROTK posters are up in our movie theatres yet.) and scream and jump up and down and my friends have to drag me away from the poster and pry my hands off of it.
Well, I'm not going to go to the movies with YOU any time soon.

[ August 05, 2003: Message edited by: Meneltarmacil ]
Old 08-05-2003, 06:23 AM   #669
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have got te inscription of the doors of Durin on my bedroom door. I think I may as well get the rest of it as well, now.
It's true, I do get ideas from here.

When a large percentage of your friends are people who you met at the BarrowDowns.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 10:00 AM   #670
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
When a large percentage of your friends are people who you met at the BarrowDowns.
I'm not the only one!

When you know Downers better than you know the people in your classes at school.

When your little brother calls you by your elvish name, and it makes your day!

When you have two different threads for posting obsessions signs (this one and "Top Ten signs that you're addicted to the Barrow-downs.")
Old 08-05-2003, 10:33 AM   #671
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Quote:
When you have two different threads for posting obsessions signs (this one and "Top Ten signs that you're addicted to the Barrow-downs.")
heh heh [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Quote:
or when your sister starts calling the people on the downs your friends, because you talk about them more then the ones you have offline.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:36 AM   #672
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I did get the cards mixed up! Its the king of hearts, the queen of diamonds, the jack of clubs(Sam, I got that right at least) and the jask of spades.(Legolas)
*hits self on head several times* owwww...

When you change the words of "oh christmas tree" to : (don't kill me, please, Meela!)

Oh Denethor, oh Denethor,
Your fireworks are such a bore.
All you have is burning kings,
They don't even have golden rings,
Oh Denethor, oh Denethor,
Your fireworks are such a bore.

Actually my friend did that, but she almost never posts here(only once), even though she is registered.(Tymezennith)

[ August 05, 2003: Message edited by: Elennar Starfire ]
Old 08-05-2003, 11:52 AM   #673
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Thumbs up

-When you start making obscure refrences to LotR with nearly everything you do.

Hey...the caramel on this ice cream looks like Boromir's hair color...
Old 08-05-2003, 12:17 PM   #674
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
You had to show this site to your doctor to prove that there really are others like you.
Tried this, but my doctor still won't believe me.

When you go online at least twice in the same hour so that you can fake the computer into saying that you have only been on for half an hour.

When your friends refuse to evengo to the movies with you for fear that you will see an LotR poster.

My brother used to sit and watch me post on the Downs, now he just screams and runs away when I go in the internet.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:41 PM   #675
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
When you go online at least twice in the same hour so that you can fake the computer into saying that you have only been on for half an hour.
Heh, will have to try that sometime.

Your best friend, who likes sci-fi, has begun to get your random references to LotR.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:56 PM   #676
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Quote:
When you know Downers better than you know the people in your classes at school.
Me too! The thing is, I wouldn't want to know most of the people in my classes very well..... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

When you think the Barrow-Downs counts as socialization. (That one should really be on the other thread).

When your mom starts making obscure LOTR references to amuse you ("Hey look, here's a brochure for a class on knives! You would enjoy that, wouldn't you?")

When your mom starts bringing up random LOTR topics in conversation.

Another obscure reference one: Your mom has a joke with you about "pints", and you talk about pints often, even in front of other people ("Do you have your pint?" [Did you know that a normal-sized bottle of water is usually about a pint? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] ]) or else showing each other coupons for pints (of icecream) and grinning evilly.

I seem to really be affecting my mom, don't I? And that's not even the beginning of it.

Old 08-05-2003, 03:06 PM   #677
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

When your mom starts talking about how studly Aragorn is. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Quote:
well! fine then! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ August 06, 2003: Message edited by: elfearz1 ]
Old 08-05-2003, 03:20 PM   #678
Maikadurwen
Wight

Question

when you take the little frodo and sam figures off said birthdaycake in earlier post
to school with you (soooooo guilty) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2003, 07:56 AM   #679
Maikadurwen
Wight

Tolkien

one does not simply walk into the prinipals offfice, there is evil there that does not sleep,the very air you breathe is a poisonious phume. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2003, 11:26 AM   #680
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
When your mom starts talking about how studly Aragorn is.
It's pretty scary when your English teacher does that, too.

Quote:
quote:

well! fine then!
I'll go with you, elfearz!