The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2003, 07:32 PM   #441
Arwen Melian
Wight

Location: Sometimes Imladris....sometimes Mirkwood...other times ....Lothlorien
Arwen Melian has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sorry for the typos and grammer....I'm doing ten things at once. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Arwen Melian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:15 PM   #442
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

-you run around screaming 'AI! AI! A BALROG HAS COME!!!

-You suddenly notice during the third watching of FOTR that Merry has a mole near his chin...(NO, I WAS NOT STARING AT MERRY!)

-You declare yourself an official Tolkeinite and study for your degree in tolkeinology

-LOTR always somehow works it's way into the conversation...

yeah, so that's it for now....(MUAHAHAHAHAAA!)
Old 06-26-2003, 04:37 AM   #443
barandilwen
Animated Skeleton

barandilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i know ive posted a reply in this forum but it seems that i cant find it anymore... [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2003, 08:24 AM   #444
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My college doesn't do Tolkienology, i must complain some day soon... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ June 26, 2003: Message edited by: Feared Half-Elf ]

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Feared Half-Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 03:10 PM   #445
Maikadurwen
Wight

Maikadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maikadurwen Send a message via MSN to Maikadurwen Send a message via Yahoo to Maikadurwen
Silmaril

you learn to speak quenya and sindarin
Old 06-26-2003, 03:41 PM   #446
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I got in another Harry Potter elf fight the other day. Man, Potter fans drive me crazy. No offense, just the ones that I happen to know, the crazed kind that run around hurling spells that don't work at people who don't care.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:05 PM   #447
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

Quote:
What's wrong with HP?
Besides the fact that Harry is the stupidest person on the face of the planet, Rowling can't write and that IS NOT MAGIC. Nothing.

Anyway...Can we please stop mentioning those books?

You know you're obsessed with LotR when you can relate everything in your daily life to it.

Your best friend makes costumes. When you help her make a suit of sci-fi armor, you say, "Let's make some for me." The design comes out looking like a cross between Haradrim and Elves. Very cool, by the way.

When annoying guys ask your name, you respond with either Tinuviel or Luthien. And tell them that you are close to 5000 years old. (At the moment, I can't seem to reckon out how old she would be were she still alive and in this world.)
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 09:41 PM   #448
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

- You tell annoying guys that your father is a 6'4" Elf who kills half the population of cities for fun.

- You claim that your ancestors were High Kings and demand that anyone who is your subordinate call you "First Ruling Queen." (Hey, I get a strange kick out of it!)

- It gets bitterly cold, and you start trying to herd random groups of students across stretches of sidewalk, yelling "If Fingolfin could do it, I can too!"
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 02:00 AM   #449
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

I went to a concert last Friday and bought one of those yellow glow sticks and held it up in front of me while saying "Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!" You have to be obsessed to see the Phial of Eärendil in a neon glow stick...
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 12:44 PM   #450
Maikadurwen
Wight

Send a message via AIM to Maikadurwen Send a message via MSN to Maikadurwen Send a message via Yahoo to Maikadurwen
Thumbs up

your obssesed when you pretend to have point ears and hairy feet
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2003, 03:50 PM   #451
Sauron_the_Abhorred
Animated Skeleton

Sauron_the_Abhorred has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like tolkiens books more than n-e-thing, but i do KINDa like harry.p, but the darn fans of hp drive me crazy.....they run around doing the spells on each other, its so stupid....the bad thing is, every single person i meet says i look exactly like harry potter.... [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
Sauron_the_Abhorred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 06:07 PM   #452
Duncariel
Wight

Sting

Quote:
the bad thing is, every single person i meet says i look exactly like harry potter....
Priceless.

Meela, I don't have a problem with HP. In fact, I have more Harry Potter fan friends than LotR, so I have a few good reasons to be annoyed with it. Especially when they get the spells wrong.

But Tolkien's still better. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2003, 06:10 PM   #453
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm really sorry. I'm deleting the post.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:08 PM   #454
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
You have to be obsessed to see the Phial of Eärendil in a neon glow stick...
Don't you mean the Phial of Galadriel? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I know what you mean there. When a sink full of dirty dishes and soap starts to resemble Galadriel's mirror, you have got problems...

When you pitch a fit because your mother will not let you wear your Elven cape to your younger sibs VBS family night because your other younger sis scared some parents with Nazgul cape. *grumbles something about small-minded s*
Old 06-28-2003, 12:16 AM   #455
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
- It gets bitterly cold, and you start trying to herd random groups of students across stretches of sidewalk, yelling "If Fingolfin could do it, I can too!"
BWAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!
You know you're obsessed when you find this funny and everyone around you stares and asks, "Who's been golfing?"

Actually, the worst obsession offense I have committed is my insistence that I HAVE seen an Ent, and I am perpetually searching for them in the woods around my home! (I've said this since 1998, actually, and I DID see an Ent! Really!)

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 08:49 AM   #456
Aredhel Idril Telcontar
Wight

Aredhel Idril Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mwahahahahaha!!! These are so great!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]!!. Ok, I'll give it a try...

-When you believe you are Feanor/Maedhros/Maeglin etc. come back *twiddles her thumbs and starts humming innocently*

-When you dress up as Legolas for Halloween. Including a plastic bow and suctioncup arrows. And wig. *Been there, done that*

-When you sing In Dwimordene, in Lorien, seldom have walked the feet of Men etc.*Been there, doing that now*

Ok, don't have more now, have to go do some more weirdness [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2003, 02:22 PM   #457
Duncariel
Wight

Sting

My three friends and I were gonna wear our capes to school for Halloween, but as I go to a Private Christian school, and we don't celebrate Halloween,(it's very obviously evil, oh brother...) they wouldn't let us.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:45 PM   #458
Maylin
Haunting Spirit

Maylin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maylin
Sting

Ill hum the soudtrack to myself at times and ive got an entire world based around middle earth in my head ( yeah, ive twisted middle earth into 1 VERY LARGE contenient)

HP doesnt really bother me, ill read the books, but what i hate is when you have commercials and such making it look lkie the best books ever written, though they clearly arent.
Maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 03:08 PM   #459
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I've actually done none of the things that I'm about to mention... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Read LOTR through 37 times. (Tolkien Rocks! thread)
Watch the FOTR movie at least once a day. (the neighbour girl does this)
Every thing you touch becomes inscribed with 'Do not mess with Mirkwood!' (neighbour girl again)
Peace
Old 06-28-2003, 04:28 PM   #460
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Um...will you think I'm strange if I say I have done those things, Yavanna?
Old 06-28-2003, 09:48 PM   #461
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

Quote:
Don't you mean the Phial of Galadriel?
*slaps forehead* ahhh... I knew something about that sounded funny. Sorry about that! You know what I meant... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 10:16 PM   #462
Elvanui
Animated Skeleton

Elvanui has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I sing in Elvish alot...until my sister yells at me to shut up.

I attempted making an Elvish dress...it ended up looking both Rohirric and hideously deformed. I think my mom needs to help me fix it.

I braided my hair a la Legolas several times during the school year...and to my delight many people noticed and understood (hurray for nerdy friends!!)

LOTR addicted me hopelessly to fantasy. I am bored reading anything else

Everyone says I look like I'm in a trance when I'm listening to the sountracks(but that is true for any of my music)

And as for Harry Potter..not all people who enjoy those books run around casting spells at each other(I'm sorry I feel the need to defend myself). Nor does it diminish my Tolkien obsession. LOTR and HP are two very different universes...and I find it sad that fans on both sides feel the need to attack each other to prove that their fantasy series is "better" than the other, when in fact they are both great stories in their own rights. Harry Potter simply tends to be on the lighter side while LOTR is deeper and more symbolic. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to inject my 2 cents (okay more than that) into this discussion.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:45 PM   #463
Celandine03

Tolkien

Hi! I'm kinda new to this forum.

I have most of the FOTR soundtrack memorized.

I think Tolkien and Howard Shore are/were geniuses.

I get really annoyed when people relate LOTR to HP.

I've never read or saw HP, but I get so annoyed when I see the books out on display at every stinkin bookstore, and a poster for the movie at every stinkin movie store. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2003, 08:20 PM   #464
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lily Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Welcome Celandine03! I'm Lily Bombadil. (Frodo's REAL wife. I'm Tom Bombadil's adopted hobbit daughter. And I actually believe that, too. See? I'm obsessed!)

About shooting friends with bows, well... I shot the cat. ON ACCIDENT!! (Don't worry! He lived!)

I have more to say, but this Big Person claiming to be my father is making me leave now. O, sorrows & woe....
Old 06-30-2003, 03:21 AM   #465
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I prefer the Lotr movies, but I like the HP and Lotr books. They're two totally different worlds and don't need to be compared. (I think the HP movies are dreadful. Where in ME did they find those actors. Actors? I meant kids!)

You know you're obssessed when you make Lembas from a recipe on the internet and then try to feed it to your hamster to make him a little more active! *Been there, bought the t-shirt!* [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Feared Half-Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 03:23 AM   #466
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

... when you are walking in the bush and yell suddenly to your friends "where is gollum?" expecting the creature to be leading you through.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 07:01 AM   #467
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Um...will you think I'm strange if I say I have done those things, Yavanna?
Not at all. I'm just saying that I haven't gotten to that point yet. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 06-30-2003, 11:20 AM   #468
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Ok, I'm officially ridiculously obsessed.

The other day, I had nothing to do, a pen in hand, and no one will ever guess what I found myself doing. I wrote the entire "Rings" poem on the inseam of my jeans. (The inseam because it's easier to reach when you're sitting down.) Now, starting at my right ankle, one could (if I'd let people look) read:

(right leg)
Three Rings for the Elven Kings under the sky
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone
Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
(left leg)
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie
One ring to rule them all; one ring to find them
One ring to bring them all; and in the darknes, bind them.
ITLOMWTSL (I ran out of room)

Now that is sad. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2003, 12:00 PM   #469
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

I'm not sure if this really actually counts... but spending hours upon hours at lordoftherings.net refreshing it just to hear everyone and actually being able to name who they are just but them saying Hello (or Hi, or G'day or not saying hello at all) is kinda obsessive [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] but fun nonetheless!

[ June 30, 2003: Message edited by: ElenCala Isil ]
Old 06-30-2003, 12:49 PM   #470
Celandine03

Sting

I have a friend Samantha who most everyone calls Sam now. I noticed a month or two ago that when I would say "Bye Sam" to her in the hall at school, that it sounded a bit weird. I realized not that long ago that it sounded different because I was saying it the way Frodo does!

Also, my friend collects the little plastic busts of the Fellowship characters from this little vending machine thing, but she could never get Legolas.
So one day we were at the mall and came across the machine, so I went first.(she figured I'd probably have better luck) I only put in enough for one, but I accidentally got two, and both of them were Legolas.
So I gave her one and I kept the other, but she was still mad that I had gotten two Legolas', so I said, "Just think of it this way. I was meant to find it, and so you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought."
Old 06-30-2003, 01:46 PM   #471
Aduoreiel

Silmaril

You know you're obsessed or definitely a big fan when you feel psychical pain if a person insults LOTR, even if they are halfway around the world, or in space.

:-) hehehehe
Old 06-30-2003, 03:47 PM   #472
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
The design comes out looking like a cross between Haradrim and Elves. Very cool, by the way.
You wouldn't mind posting some pictures of it, would you? *looks hopeful*

Quote:
spending hours upon hours at lordoftherings.net refreshing it just to hear everyone
Guilty.... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

When you are already planning what you're going to do for the First Show of RotK. I've been planning my party since Towers came out: my costume, the invitations, even what time we'll be arriving at the theater!

Abedithon le! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2003, 06:14 PM   #473
Maikadurwen
Wight

Question

lily bombadil i an frodos really real wife and vey is legolas' wife [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2003, 06:20 PM   #474
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think I'm also guilty of spending hours planning my costume for the first show of Return of the King! All of my friends are going, and we're going to dress up as the cast. I'm going to probably end up being a young Elrond, since I can't find any old-Elf robes, I can only find tunics/leggings and stuff.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 09:33 PM   #475
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
You wouldn't mind posting some pictures of it, would you? *looks hopeful*
Wish I could. But, there is the small matter of file size, and the fact that I have no site to place it upon. If you PM me with your email, I could send it to you that way.

(Sorry that this post is off topic.)
Old 07-01-2003, 07:11 AM   #476
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Quote:
I think the HP movies are dreadful. Where in ME did they find those actors. Actors? I meant kids!
I thought they were super. Especially Neville.

Quote:
I'm not sure if this really actually counts... but spending hours upon hours at lordoftherings.net refreshing it just to hear everyone and actually being able to name who they are just but them saying Hello (or Hi, or G'day or not saying hello at all) is kinda obsessive but fun nonetheless!
Its the most fun thing I can think of doing!! I have wasted countless hours on that site [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
When you are already planning what you're going to do for the First Show of RotK.
Yup, my costume planning is well under way. I'm learning to embroider specially. I hope the cast and crew realise how dedicated we are [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2003, 07:16 AM   #477
Lëowen
Haunting Spirit

Location: my computer chair, being smothered by my impossibly large cat
Lëowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lëowen
Shield

You spend so much time here that your mother gives you a limit on how long you can be online a day. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2003, 07:20 AM   #478
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Oh yeah, that is the worst! I've been threatened with a ban from this site [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2003, 09:59 AM   #479
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Exactly! I had one too many all-nighters, and now I am literally thrown off the 'Net at midnight. It does make for some interesting jokes though. *thinks of a certain pic she made... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]*
Old 07-01-2003, 10:33 AM   #480
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Sting

- when you get mad at your little sister for using a scooby doo bookmark in TTT and let her borrow your Eowyn/Eomer bookmark because a scooby doo bookmark absolutely should not be in a Lotr book!!!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

(yes, I did that)

you are all spying on me, aren't you? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]