The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-13-2024, 02:51 PM   #1
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Tolkien New Tolkien book coming in September

Some of you might have seen this announced in other Tolkien fora and sites but it is worth posting about it here. Yes, a complete edition of Tolkien's poetry, including several poems not previously published, edited by the illustrious crew, Christian Scull and Wayne Hammond. Three volumes worth! Just when you thought there could not possibly be more posthumous Tolkien books.

http://https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=55644&fbclid=IwAR1TXb7zEfXoc sDqt8RitKee2fIL8iHr-_9sfBiQvrhe8woLY_6qmIBEzOg#forumpost55644
Old 03-13-2024, 04:37 PM   #2
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
Some of you might have seen this announced in other Tolkien fora and sites but it is worth posting about it here. Yes, a complete edition of Tolkien's poetry, including several poems not previously published, edited by the illustrious crew, Christian Scull and Wayne Hammond. Three volumes worth! Just when you thought there could not possibly be more posthumous Tolkien books.

http://https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=55644&fbclid=IwAR1TXb7zEfXoc sDqt8RitKee2fIL8iHr-_9sfBiQvrhe8woLY_6qmIBEzOg#forumpost55644
I am sure my bookshelves groan at the thought! Hopefully, there's a table of contents released at some point, because I'm curious what will end up in here (the titles of the unpublished poems, obviously--but also glimpses into how they'll handle the variant texts, like "Errantry" or the "Lay of Leithien").
Old 03-14-2024, 02:30 AM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
I am sure my bookshelves groan at the thought! Hopefully, there's a table of contents released at some point, because I'm curious what will end up in here (the titles of the unpublished poems, obviously--but also glimpses into how they'll handle the variant texts, like "Errantry" or the "Lay of Leithien").
I misspoke (miswrote?). It is not "complete poems" but "collected poems. Here is what Hammond and Scull have written about it, perhaps to answer some of your questions: https://wayneandchristina.wordpress....5PfXjl4cf8dTkk
Old 03-14-2024, 07:30 AM   #4
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Apparently a massive tome, at 1500 pages coming in bigger than the entire Lord of the Rings
Old 03-16-2024, 02:25 PM   #5
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
Six months??!!

What am I supposed to do with myself until then?

Seriously though, I'm glad they didn't announce it years ago (since, obviously, the undertaking was massive enough to start in c. 2016/7 or so I think) - I would've developed a restless-leg syndrome by now...
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 02:09 PM   #6
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

An update from the editors, Hammond and Scull: http://https://wayneandchristina.wordpress.com/2024/04/21/tolkiens-collected-poems-update/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1-DS2iElU6uyWBBj0snLm_gXTrZzs4EWOTUSz8iGbf_csj-lcznNtY040_aem_AaodStw7HEnWVXnkN-T0kciDJRdPhhqGzIATNBEL2Lg1WokHOcSRb7aCALvIZYRT-dUJPYtOyEFMZvwaJ4a3v7KS
Old 04-21-2024, 05:37 PM   #7
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
An update from the editors, Hammond and Scull: Link
Accepting that Hammond and Scull aren't allowed to say anything, I think the fact that they were willing to namedrop specific poems, especially with that "especially" attached to The Complaint of Mim, strongly suggests those poems will be in.

Three volumes and a box... that's a lot of poems. I'm not sure I have space... or rather, I'm not sure what has to be moved off the Tolkien Bookshelf to *make* space.

hS
Old 04-22-2024, 07:13 AM   #8
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Three volumes and a box... that's a lot of poems. I'm not sure I have space... or rather, I'm not sure what has to be moved off the Tolkien Bookshelf to *make* space.

hS
I'm not sure what has to be moved off my wallet to make space for it.