The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
SlverGlass
Pile O'Bones

SlverGlass has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf Why did Legolas set sail for the Grey Havens only after Aragorn's death?

Please do forgive me if the question sounds infantile or has already been discussed.

According to the Appendix B of Lotr, Legolas set sail, along with Gimli, in the year 1541 after King Elessar's death. But why did he wait for such a long while? Most of the elves had already set sail by then, so why didn't he?

Legolas had started feeling the call of the sea since before the destruction of the One Ring. This wait seems a little meaningless. Then why choose such a path? Am I missing out something obvious?
SlverGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
That isn't an "infantile" question at all.

Firstly, most of the remaining Noldor in Middle-earth (Gildor, et al) had already gone, but it's clear many of the Silvan Elves in Mirkwood were still there, and apparently fairly content.

As for the timing of Legolas's departure, it seems to be connected to the death of King Elessar, who, except Gimli, was the last remaining member of the Fellowship in ME. Legolas seems to have simply felt that was the right time, and there was no further reason to linger in mortal lands.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
SlverGlass
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post

As for the timing of Legolas's departure, it seems to be connected to the death of King Elessar, who, except Gimli, was the last remaining member of the Fellowship in ME. Legolas seems to have simply felt that was the right time, and there was no further reason to linger in mortal lands.
That's what was my conclusion. However, despite the general camaraderie between Legolas and Aragorn, nowhere in the books is a deeper friendship shown. It just doesn't feel appropriate that Legolas would time such an important step in my life in accordance with Aragorn's death.

However, your theory about the Silvan elves still residing in ME holds a lot of merit. Thank you for not deeming my question "infantile", Inziladun. I am a little nervous as this is the first thread that I have started in the Downs.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlverGlass View Post
That's what was my conclusion. However, despite the general camaraderie between Legolas and Aragorn, nowhere in the books is a deeper friendship shown. It just doesn't feel appropriate that Legolas would time such an important step in my life in accordance with Aragorn's death.
Legolas did have some measure of respect, and even reverential love, for Aragorn. When Gimli and Legolas recount to Merry and Pippin their experiences in the Paths of the Dead, Gimli makes the comment that it was only "the will of Aragorn" that kept him going. Legolas answered:

Quote:
'And by the love of him also,' said Legolas. 'For all those who come to know him come to love him after his own fashion...'
ROTK The Last Debate

Additionally, Gimli, who was probably Legolas's best friend, was over 262 years old when they set sail (according to ROTK Appendix C), and that was pretty old for a Dwarf. Couple Gimli's old age with the death of Elessar, and what more did ME have for Legolas?

Quote:
However, your theory about the Silvan elves still residing in ME holds a lot of merit. Thank you for not deeming my question "infantile", Inziladun. I am a little nervous as this is the first thread that I have started in the Downs.
No need to be nervous. Everyone here was a newbie at some point.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Probably it was more Gimlis timing that that of Legols. I think that Legolas would have stayed in Middle-Earth as long as Gimli lived. That Gimli feeling old age aproache him, having the wish to see Galadriel again and seeing his freind Elessar dead, thought somthing like now or never. Thus it could have been his timing and not that of Legolas.

Respectfuly
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
SlverGlass
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Legolas did have some measure of respect, and even reverential love, for Aragorn. When Gimli and Legolas recount to Merry and Pippin their experiences in the Paths of the Dead, Gimli makes the comment that it was only "the will of Aragorn" that kept him going. Legolas answered:

ROTK The Last Debate

Additionally, Gimli, who was probably Legolas's best friend, was over 262 years old when they set sail (according to ROTK Appendix C), and that was pretty old for a Dwarf. Couple Gimli's old age with the death of Elessar, and what more did ME have for Legolas?

I agree with both points. Thank you for quoting that paragraph from The Last Debate. I had forgotten about it :-).

It does make sense that the 'Eldar' of the fellowship would be the last to 'depart'.

And I totally agree with you, Selmo. Those years would have been no more than a blink of an eye for an elf.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Legolas of Ithilien?

Interesting question Silverglass,

Agreeing with the points above.

Also this implies maybe that there was no 'Mrs Legolas' does it not?

As I remember Legolas decided to set up a Silvan Elf settlement in Ithilien after the War as well as bringing trees etc to cheer up Minas Tirith. I don't think I've heard any more on the subject, anyone spotted anything in HoME etc?

Would be an interesting place Ithilien in the early 4th Age, run by Faramir and Eowyn, with presumably Legolas as leader of a wood-elf settlement, with all subordinate to Aragorn and Arwen. Quite rare to have such a multi-ethnic realm, apart from Bree and Dale perhaps.

There might be ongoing efforts to heal the orcish defilement of the land and perhaps hunts into the mountains and towards Minas Morgul to clear out the remaining orcs etc. Minas Morgul itself required many years before it could be 'cleansed' according to Aragorn, but maybe the rebuilding of Osgiliath might be in progress?
Old 05-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Aragorn was also the last link to the "old world". Gandalf put him in charge of preserving as much as he could, but with his passing many ther things would pass too, IMO.

Quote:
I am a little nervous as this is the first thread that I have started in the Downs.
Hm, you should see my first thread that I've started - the title incuded "Gandalf the Geat". (the one typo that everyone seems to notice )
Old 05-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Perhaps it was merely a matter of Tolkien tying up loose ends by offering a bit of finality for each member of the Fellowship. That way, fan-fic writers couldn't go on and on about Legolas well into the 4th and even 5th Ages.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:53 AM   #10
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dűm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Hello, SlverGlass.

Quote:
According to the Appendix B of Lotr, Legolas set sail, along with Gimli, in the year 1541 after King Elessar's death. But why did he wait for such a long while?
The time would not seem long to Legolas, he's an immortal Elf.

The passing of time would mean nothing to him but, as Inziladun has said, the passing of his friends of The Fellowship would mean much to him.
If Legolas wanted Gimli to accompany him into The West, he could not risk waiting any longer.

Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote