The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #481
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I received the identity under the old rules though. I don't see how that can change retroactively.
Well, I assume it's since there's no definitive proof that Shasta was Amandil, even if we do believe you.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #482
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Well, I assume it's since there's no definitive proof that Shasta was Amandil, even if we believe.
Exactly.

(looking at the rules...)
Old 12-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #483
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Well, I assume it's since there's no definitive proof that Shasta was Amandil, even if we do believe you.
Other than the fact that he was a known Gifted, and said he was Amandil.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #484
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I realize it's a self-serving argument, but why would Shasta have lied? Amandil's only gift was having the identity of one of his heirs made known. Without knowing who Amandil is, it's meaningless.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #485
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
I realize it's a self-serving argument, but why would Shasta have lied? Amandil's only gift was having the identity of one of his heirs made known. Without knowing who Amandil is, it's meaningless.
It's not about not trusting you or Shasta. It's about the fact that the whole point of the game is that their's no certainty of gifted roles.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #486
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

But of course, if we use the "proven" standard, then Elendil can send a dream to anyone as he himself never dreams thus he cannot "know" anything.

(The intent is clear, of course. Just having fun.)
Old 12-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #487
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
It's not about not trusting you or Shasta. It's about the fact that the whole point of the game is that their's no certainty of gifted roles.
True. My point though is that we know Shasta was innocent, and I see no reason for an innocent to falsely claim to be Amandil. Like I said, that defeats the purpose of the role.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #488
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

This is what I meant to post with my last post. Bolding mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
-Amandil. Upon his death the Valar grant him a boon, and so the identity (but not exact role) of the next in his line (Elendil, or if he’s dead then Isildur...) is revealed to a randomly selected ordo immediately after his death.
Quote:
The receiver of the dream sees “King’s Man”, “ordo”, or “gifted” – not a gifted’s specific role.
Quote:
SPECIAL NOTE: the narrations will NOT reveal a gifted’s role.

edit: x-ed with the last two posts.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #489
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Okay, so I cannot receive a dream, Brin cannot receive a dream, and Inzil cannot receive a dream. Also, Anarion cannot self-protect. Those are the pertinent points here, and they are worth considering for the sake of strategy...
Old 12-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #490
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

In line with Steve's last, I'll say that I don't know who is Elendil or Isildur. I only have the name of which player has one of those roles.

x/d with phantom
Old 12-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #491
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
True. My point though is that we know Shasta was innocent, and I see no reason for an innocent to falsely claim to be Amandil. Like I said, that defeats the purpose of the role.
I really don't think anyone doubts that Shasta was Amandil. I put him as that in my list because I think it's pretty much agreed that that was the case. But since the Moddess said she wouldn't give any information about gifted roles then she didn't.

I think we can move on from this discussion (which isn't really a discussion, just the three of us agreeing), because it's pretty clear you're not going to be forced to retract your 'dream'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
But of course, if we use the "proven" standard, then Elendil can send a dream to anyone as he himself never dreams thus he cannot "know" anything.

(The intent is clear, of course. Just having fun.)
This is totally going to turn into a philosophical discussion, isn't it? Where's Noggie when you need to discuss epistemology?

edit: x-ed since my last
Old 12-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #492
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
This is totally going to turn into a philosophical discussion, isn't it? Where's Noggie when you need to discuss epistemology?
What came first, the ordo or the wolf?
Old 12-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #493
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
What is the Form of Wolf?

EDIT: Seems Zil and I had a similar idea.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #494
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Anyway, I'll keep the Heir's ID to myself. If they want to reveal, I'll just confirm it.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #495
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
What came first, the ordo or the wolf?
depends if the innocent is a CC.

As for everything else. Zil I think narrowing the field further would be good for tomorrow in case the KM do come after you... If Lottie is telling the truth Erendil is alive meaning the gifted you have is 50/50 Anarion or Isildur. are we sure we have the luxury of waiting?

I should be around for the next hour. Sorry about this day off and day 3 collided so a lot of catching up on errands and such today.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #496
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
As for everything else. Zil I think narrowing the field further would be good for tomorrow in case the KM do come after you... If Lottie is telling the truth Erendil is alive meaning the gifted you have is 50/50 Anarion or Isildur. are we sure we have the luxury of waiting?
1. We absolutely do have that luxury - we're in a pretty great spot here as a village.

2. The gifted Isildur Zil dreamed of *is* Elendil. If Elendil is alive, Zil would have dreamed of him, not Anarion or Isildur.

EDIT: Zil dreamed, not Isildur.

Last edited by Loslote; 12-02-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Loslote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #497
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Well, the phantocent thinks the Heir has left enough clues that a reveal by them could be fairly well proven. I think I see what he means.

x/d with Lottie
Old 12-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #498
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
That's actually inaccurate. If Lottie is telling the truth, Dun has the name of Elendil. If not, Dun's got the identity of Isildur.

As far as the reveal, I'm feeling pretty good about things. Assuming there's still a seer, they can send something to who they think is the other gifted. If not, we have a ranger who can hopefully make a good choice for toNight's protection. Assuming I understand everything correctly, we'll be fine come the Morrow, even if Dun dies (not that I wish for that to happen, of course).

EDIT: x'd with Lottie and Dun
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #499
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
The gifted Isildur dreamed of *is* Elendil.
Wait, what?

edit: oh, Zil
Old 12-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #500
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Do we have a KM (King's Morsul after all?

x/d with Steve
Old 12-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #501
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Wait, what?

Pretty sure she meant- your edit, exactly.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #502
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Do we have a KM (King's Morsul after all?
Kind sir, have you not been listening to me all flipping game?
Old 12-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #503
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Wait, what?

Gah! Sorry, typo!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #504
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Kind sir, have you not been listening to me all flipping game?
Yeah, yeah. If he turns out evil, you get a cookie.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #505
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Yeah, yeah. If he turns out evil, you get a cookie.
Oooo! I love cookies!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #506
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul
Zil I think narrowing the field further would be good for tomorrow in case the KM do come after you...
I would assume Elendil is capable of narrowing the field without Inzil's help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally
Assuming there's still a seer, they can send something to who they think is the other gifted.
Meh- they should just send the dream to Lottie again. She came through this time, didn't she?

Or just send it to Brin. As the Night 1 dreamer I hereby declare I was lying about Brin being a proven innocent- her status is revoked. There. Now Elendil can send a dream to Brin as well.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #507
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Meh- they should just send the dream to Lottie again. She came through this time, didn't she?
Sure, that's a great plan. Unless, you know, she's a wolf.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #508
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
too bad no cookies.

I'm going to reread the last few pages I think I missed something. stupid hectic day.

Edit: next in line just got it.
Edit2: x'ed since Sally's cookies
Old 12-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #509
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I'm going to laugh if Morsul and Sally are on the same team- whether good or bad.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #510
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I'm going to laugh if Morsul and Sally are on the same team- whether good or bad.
can't speak to this game, but yeah that happens more often than either of us will admit.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #511
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally
Sure, that's a great plan. Unless, you know, she's a wolf.
But if Nerwen turns out guilty then why not try her again? Maybe she's a turncoat KM. The secret role- the saboteur.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #512
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul
can't speak to this game, but yeah that happens more often than either of us will admit.
Well, I for one am definitely detecting high levels of romantic tension.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #513
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
But if Nerwen turns out guilty then why not try her again? Maybe she's a turncoat KM. The secret role- the saboteur.
It doesn't really matter who he sends it to - the Dreamer would have little choice but to accurately relay the dream. If a KM receives a dream about an ordo, they can't really say "they're a KM!" because the lynch will prove otherwise very quickly. If a KM receives a dream about a fellow KM, they can't realistically say "they're innocent" because the numbers just won't bear it out - the village will quickly realize that either the Dreamer must be a KM, or the Dreamed must be. The only risky bit is if the KM dreams about a Gifted, which is something we really, really don't want.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #514
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

In other news- congenital egocentrical hyperplasia has been declared "The most awesome disease ever!" by the US Surgeon General.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #515
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Phantom's last three posts are interesting

Sabateour, Awesome future role for a game would be amazing.

romantic tensions eh? Sally what do yo think? me you a movie?

awesomest disease? As a sufferer I can say it is.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #516
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
In other news- congenital egocentrical hyperplasia has been declared "The most awesome disease ever!" by the US Surgeon General.
Better known by its common name, phantomitis.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #517
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Well, I for one am definitely detecting high levels of romantic tension.
This Day is gonna seem like cake after what I put you through when I see you later this month, and I am not a fan of easy death.

Remind me to tell you something privately once the game is over.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #518
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Anyone reading this would swear this was Day 1.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #519
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Sabateour, Awesome future role for a game would be amazing.
Been there. Done that. Fun times.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #520
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
It doesn't really matter who he sends it to - the Dreamer would have little choice but to accurately relay the dream. If a KM receives a dream about an ordo, they can't really say "they're a KM!" because the lynch will prove otherwise very quickly. If a KM receives a dream about a fellow KM, they can't realistically say "they're innocent" because the numbers just won't bear it out - the village will quickly realize that either the Dreamer must be a KM, or the Dreamed must be. The only risky bit is if the KM dreams about a Gifted, which is something we really, really don't want.
Hence my suggestion that Elendil send the information to the person they suspect is the other gifted in the mix. Less(ish) risky.

How do we feel about suggesting Elendil send information about Lottie rather than to her? Just throwing the idea out there and seeing what you all think.