Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2003, 03:29 PM   #161
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Frodo looked around, studying the old familiar curves and windows and doorways, the fireplaces, the furniture. A familiar sadness came over him, that Bilbo was no longer here to enjoy the place, that it just wasn't the same without him here.

"Mr. Frodo?"

"Excuse me, Sam, I'm sorry. Go on."

Sam continued his tale, even as Frodo remembered that Bilbo was only a short walk away. Indeed, he could come here. All could be, as it once was; better, in fact, for then Miz Rose the children weren't here.

Bilbo, Sam and Rose, and the children, all together with him in Bag End, all at once. His heart nearly broke with joy for the thought.

"Mr. Frodo? Why are you sad?" Elanor asked him. Sam was staring, too, and Sam had had enough pretense. "Now, Mr. Frodo, speak up. Tell me what's bothering you."

"Nothing is wrong, Sam. I was just thinking how pleasant it would be to have you-- all of you, and Bilbo, all together, here in Bag End, all of us home again, and together... together at last."

Sam studied him. "I'd like that, Mr. Frodo."

"Oh, so would I, Sam. I should like that very much."

"Well, should we go and get him in the wagon? " Sam stirred as if to get up.

"No, not now, Sam; Bilbo was wanting some quiet, and very nearly threw me out of the Inn to get it. But I'll suggest the idea to him, if you're sure that you wouldn't mind, " Frodo said, pleading with his eyes.

Sam snorted. "Mind! Ninnyhammers and noodles, how could I mind! Mr. Frodo, I'd be delighted!"

"Sam." Frodo sighed contentedly, and Elanor studied him.

So Mr. Frodo really was fond of her dad; she could see it clearly now, and she approved.

Her eyes strayed to Frodo's right hand. She studied where his finger had been bitten off, and thought about her dad's struggle to get Frodo all the way to the Sammath Naur, and Frodo's final temptation, and his failure. She wondered why he had failed, then, at the end, when he was so close to succeeding. She wanted to ask him why he had given in. But she waited, looking back up at his eyes.

His gaze was fixed out the window. She followed his gaze, leaning a little. He was staring at The Green Dragon Inn.

Sam met her eyes, and settled her with a small movement of his hand, and waited. Eventually Frodo stirred, and glanced up at Sam. "It's good to see you, Sam, " he said. "It's good to see your children. Elanor is becoming quite a little lady."

Her eyes went wide.

"You'll give her airs, Mr. Frodo, " Sam cautioned, and Elanor bowed her head. The conversation turned to other things. She waited and listened, wondering what Mr. Frodo saw in her that made him call her a little lady. But she sat a little taller after that.

[ March 11, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-10-2003, 07:23 PM   #162
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

As afternoon spilled into evening, Cami returned to the Dragon in the company of Lorien, making sure he got back safely to his old room. He said farewell to her at the door of his chamber but promised to join the others downstairs a little later.

Cami headed at once for the common room where Bird, Pio, and Mithadan were already seated and enjoying their stew. She stood in the hallway, with her body half hidden, then peered around the door with an impish expression on her face, and quietly slipped inside. Cami went and positioned herself silently behind Mithadan's chair, standing on tiptoe and leaning over to place an affectionate peck on the man's black curls. "You see, Mithadan, a little thing like two thousand years couldn't keep Aunt Cami away from those twins." Then, she walked to the table and sat down in a seat that Bird had been saving for her.

[ March 11, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 03-11-2003, 01:30 AM   #163
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

It was late night when the laughing and talking ended, and Cami pulled away from her friends to return to her room. She lit a small lamp, placing it on top of the mantle, and sat cross legged on the floor, taking out the envelope and carefully breaking its seal. Cami slid the tips of her fingers over the familiar script, as if somehow willing herself to sense the hobbit who actually lay behind the words. She opened the letter and placed it on the floor, then smoothed out its creases and began to read with real hunger.

My little Andreth,

I sit here writing you on a small table in our family burrow, as twilight extends its silken fingers over our home on Tol Fuin. This is a place of goodness and plenty, where no enemies assail us. Much of the credit for this must go to you and your daughter, and your other companions on the Star. There are no words to express how truly thankful we are for the sacrifices you've made to keep our people safe.

Ancalimon has lately paid a visit to our shores to speak with my family and Lindo's. He has told us about Bilbo and the concern he bears for you, and how he begged the Valar so that you and I might come together for a brief moment, if we so wish.

When I first heard the news, I was dumbfounded. Cami, you know me well! This is Maura who feels that the doom of the hobbits lies closer to the big folk than to the paths of the immortal Elves or Valar. Whatever my other faults, I have never made a pretense of being more than I am. So you will have to excuse me, if I feel overwhelmed.

Having said this, I freely admit that you are much on my mind. When I walk near my home and spy a healthy patch of athelas, I think of you and your gift. When I hear Lindo's ballad about the night of freedom or Bird's wondrous transformation, I again see your shining face. And most of all, as I watch the children grow strong and healthy, I remember how you cradled them in your arms when all seemed lost, yet never gave up hope.

Do I wish to be together again, for however brief a time? Without any question, yes.

Yet, there are two things I must add. Cami, if you feel too uncomfortable with this arrangement, please tell Lorien that it is best we stay apart. I will respect your judgment. Neither will my feelings change.

This second thing is harder to say, but you must know the truth. Cami, I was not totally honest with you in Beleriand. From the first glimpse I had of you, when we ate dinner together that night, I knew there was something special between us.

Yet, how long did it take me to put my feelings into words? I invented a hundred excuses for staying silent. There was the hardship of the camps that made it difficult to look beyond the harsh needs of the day. Yet I kept imagining we would eventually have a whole lifetime together, so the special words could wait. And finally, there was me...who I am. The sensible Maura who is the epitome of hobbit common sense and who weighs all sides carefully and eternally before making any decision.

How wrong I was not to say something! Would it have made a difference? Probably not. But I won't make that mistake again. Whatever my feelings, I will honestly share them.

So here goes....Cami Goodchild, I love you beyond anything that's rational or sensible. I would follow you to the end of time and beyond. None of this will be easy, I know. But, together or apart, would you be my wife, and share whatever small hope we can bring to each other?

With all love,

Maura

Cami set the letter down and closed her eyes. She leaned over, her brow resting lightly on her fingertips, and sent a clear message though to Lorien. Tell Maura yes, and could you please bring him here as quickly as possible? She felt her thoughts acknowledged, and then crawled into bed and soon fell asleep.

When she woke in the morning, the sun was spilling its bright rays through the windowpane. Cami was startled to see a tall, slender, familiar figure with silver hair and grey eyes smiling gently down at her, perched on the very end of her bed. He'd obviously been there for some time watching her sleep. It was only then that she slipped out of the covers and ran to his beckoning arms, half laughing and half crying out her welcome.

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 03-11-2003, 03:16 AM   #164
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Filibert Whitfoot relished the days when it was his turn to be Shire postman. He got up, before the crack of dawn, to make himself a big breakfast; then packed for lunch and snacks two or usually three sandwiches, an apple or two, some cookies, or a slice of cake, and a large flask of hot, sweet tea. He sorted the letters and packages by town and placed them carefully in order in his two leather satchels.

Amaranthas had gotten up early, and now stood, letter in hand as he made his way up the path to her house on his grey pony. ‘Can you get this to Waymeet today?’ she asked him. ‘Of course!’ he said. ‘To be honest, there isn’t much to deliver today.’ He looked up at the clear sky, the sun just a fingers width over the eastern horizon. ‘It’s starting out to be a fine day for a nice little ride on Willow here. Taking time for a little lunch, I think I can get it there by early afternoon.'

He took the letter from her, placing it in pocket for the outlying districts. As an added incentive, she gave him two lemon tarts she had baked just that day, wrapped up in a clean napkin. She watched him until he turned west onto the main road, wondering all the while what Gilly’s answer would be.

Dear Gilly,

You probably don’t remember me. I met you many years ago at a christening for one of your father’s sister’s children in Waymeet. I think you were about ten years old then, and I must say you were one of the more interesting people there.

I remember you drawing me aside (I had been sitting in the corner nursing a glass of the local ale, as I recall) and you were filled with the stories your cousin Pippin had brought home from the wars. Your eyes shone when you talked about those distant lands he had been to and the Elves and Men he had met in his travels. I could tell, even then, that the small confines of Waymeet would hem you in and chafe against your desire to see the wider world.

You must be about twenty now. A young women with ideas of her own and the mind to make them, somehow, become reality. I cannot offer you the same chances that Master Peregrin had, but I can offer you the chance to become acquainted with one of the Fair Folk (one Piosenniel) I have befriended here in the Shire.

To be blunt, she is in need of the services of a nursemaid, as she is soon to deliver twins – Midyear’s Day to be exact. Her husband, Lord Mithadan of Lond Lefnui in Gondor has joined her as they await this joyous occasion. Two babies and her being a brand new mother will be hard for her, and I thought to offer her your services if you would be interested. You would find her a very interesting person, I think. And I wouldn’t be surprised if she offered you the chance to accompany her and Lord Mithadan on their return to Gondor, and possibly on some of their trips aboard their ship.

I know how wonderful you are with babies and younger children. Your Aunt Clematis has written me many times praising your skills as a caretaker for the younger ones. Elven babies, I’m sure, cannot be much different from the little ones you have taken care of, and Mistress Piosenniel would be a most interesting person to work for. There will, of course, be room and board, and a small stipend offered to you for your services.

Please reply soon. And I am hoping that your reply will be one of acceptance.

Affectionately,

Amaranthas Bolger
Hobbiton, Westfarthing, The Shire

Gilly could scarce believe her eyes as she scanned the letter for the third time. She had just had a row with her parents that very morning, because she had brought up, once again, the question of her traveling to another town to seek work. What she had not discussed with them was that once she had a few skills under her belt other than weeding the garden patch, she intended to see as much of the Shire as she could. And, hope beyond hope, she planned also to travel as widely as was possible for her beyond the bounds of it.

And here was her first small step! She wrinkled her brow and thought hard about Amaranthas, trying to place her. She seemed to remember an elderly Hobbit who carried herself with a commanding presence. Other members of the family had deferred to her, as she recalled. Beyond that, though, her mind conjured no other memories.

She started to skip up the path to her family’s burrow, then thought better of her overly enthusiastic approach, and slowed to a more sedate walk. She would need to approach this offer from Amaranthas in a calm, firm manner with her parents. Gilly stood straight and squared back her shoulders. She meant to seize this opportunity with both hands.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:31 PM   #165
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Maura slipped his arm about Cami's shoulders and clasped her to his chest. He slid his hand gently through her mop of curls, the brown and grey cascading down, now firmly intertwined between his fingers. Gently, he tilted Cami's head up until their eyes met once again, each taking in the fine details. Cami's face looked weatherbeaten, with rosy red cheeks and tiny lines etched into her skin, physical reminders of a life that was now lived largely out-of-doors. Yet Maura had never seen anything so dear.

"We are two old fools, Cami Goodchild." He whispered to her, hesitated a moment, and then spoke. "Isn't that what I should call you?"

"Before others, yes. But, when we are alone, call me by whichever name you prefer."

She picked up one of his hands and placed it on her right knee. Then she took her own and laid it beside his. Her own hand looked brown as a berry; his was paler but still tanned by the sun. Neither were smooth or clear or soft, but rough and calloused and a bit worn with age. Both hobbits had seen long hours of work in woods and fields and along the shore. Chores like planting and healing and teaching, tending to a family, and building a home. Every experience that had come to them over long, hard years was writ large on their bodies and hearts.

Cami looked over, her eyes sparkling with merriment, "In all of Bilbo's tales of Elvish lore, in every joining he describes, I've never encountered a pair like us."

"Perhaps, then, you and I will rewrite those books." He spoke half in jest and half in earnest, drawing Cami closer to him with infinite tenderness. Little Andreth, I will make you my wife. Here, today, in this place you call the Shire.

Cami looked up, startled by the words leaping into her mind. But I thought you told me......

Maura laughed as he planted a kiss on her head, What is between husband and wife, or done in times of danger, is different than idle conversation. In any case, can't a hobbit have one or two little surprises?

She looked up and giggled, then yanked him up from the bed. "Before there will be any exchange of vows, you must meet Bilbo and my friends. We can not lie here abed the whole day." Then the two joined hands like little children and ran off through the corridors of the Inn, wondering who would cross their paths.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:21 PM   #166
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Frodo paced steadily towards the Inn. He was weary; Pippin-Lad had spent a fair amount of time on Frodo's shoulders, and although Frodo was quite used to tramping about, he wasn't used to scrubbing floors, wrestling boys, or tending frogs; and he certainly wasn't used to answering a barrage of questions. Even his face was tired from talking and laughing so much.

His time with Sam, he still had to sort out. More than anything right now he just wanted Bilbo's company. He thrust aside the looming shadow on the edge of that thought, and pressed forward.

He rubbed his face and ran his hands through his curls, bracing himself, eager for sight of his uncle.

He came through the doorway, and looked down the corridor. A grey-haired hobbit was approaching, followed closely by Cami; but he was slender and agile, and certainly not Bilbo. Then he looked at Cami's face.

Frodo's smile was followed by his glad laugh, and he stopped, and bowed. "You must be Maura, " he smiled, and laughed in response to Cami's eager introduction. Maura listened as Cami's words poured out in a rush, and then he bowed to Frodo.

Frodo studied Maura in the dim light of the corridor, and stepped closer. "Loremaster, I wish that there was time to listen to your tales and stories. I would relish what tales you had time to tell, " Frodo said softly.

Cami's startled expression embarassed Frodo, but he recovered quickly. "Of course, that is not why you have come. Don't let me distract you, " Frodo added, eyes sparkling.

"We have not yet sorted out where we will be and how we will spend our time, " said Maura.

"If I know Cami, I suspect she has plans, " Frodo replied with a smile.

Maura laughed out loud. "You know her well, I see, " he said, and brushed back a stray lock of Cami's hair with one hand.

She laughed, and nodded. "I've had a whole day, after all. Plenty of time to come up with--"

Maura interrupted. "Lists, and schedules, and tasks and chores and responsibilities and--"

"Trails and paths to follow, " Cami retorted indignantly, "and quiet places to sit and talk, and fields to stargaze in and a tree to climb--"

Maura's arms encircled her again. "That's better. You had me worried."

Cami mentally discarded her list of chores she had in mind, at least for the moment.

Frodo smiled at them. "I was about to go looking for Bilbo, " he said. "Have you seen him?"

"I'm looking for him!" Cami exclaimed. She surged ahead, Maura laughing as he hurried to catch up, and Frodo brought up the rear.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:32 PM   #167
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami discovered Bilbo on a bench near the back of the Inn. The older hobbit sat at the table with a stack of notes piled in front of him, carefully inserting each into an envelope and affixing postage to the front. He looked up and smiled as they walked into the garden.

"Now, now, what have we here?" Bilbo rose on unsteady legs to greet the trio, extending his hand to the newcomer.

"Maura Took, here." the younger hobbit responded. "I owe you a great deal. Both for how you've helped Cami over the years, and in bringing us together."

"Ah, that. It's been a long time since Cami learned her letters at my table. As to the other, it was more Gandalf's doing than my own. Once I persuaded him, he took things in hand."

Maura looked puzzled by this until Frodo explained. "He means Ancalimon. He goes by at least half-a dozen different names."

Maura grinned. "So that's it. Now, I know who Cami takes after. She keeps changing her name from one day to the next." Cami nudged Maura in the ribs, her face pink with embarrassment.

"Now, Cami," Bilbo continued. "Surely there's some chore that's calling you, making lists and such. I know you'd prefer not to let go of Maura, but I need him for a minute." Cami backed off nervously as she caught Maura's eye, but he smiled and assured her he'd be fine.

"Alright, I'll check on the kitchen and then return."

"Take your time. There's no rush, at least for today." Bilbo's words sounded almost wistful.

Bilbo turned about to face the others, cleared his throat, and stared over at Maura, sizing him up and down. "Now, wasn't there something you needed to tell me....or rather ask me?"

Maura's jaw dropped open in embarrassment. How many young couples had be lectured on the need to show respect for parents and pay a formal visit to the elders? Yet, somehow, his own relationship had seemed different. Unconventional might be a better term. But Bilbo would not see it that way. In this one respect at least, he would regard Cami as a young hobbit bereft of family who needed a protector.

"Yes, sir. I do have something to ask. Seeing that Cami has no surviving kin, I suspect you're the one looking out for her."

"I'd say that was correct, lad."

Frodo sat nearby, an amused smile spilling over his face to hear the silver-haired hobbit described as 'lad.'

"Cami and I love each other very much, sir. That doesn't seem to change, whether we're together or apart. So, although our situation may be a little unusual, we've decided to marry. That is, Mister Baggins, sir, we'd like your permission to wed."

Bilbo observed, "Not bad for a youngster! Although they did it better in my day."

Maura resisted the urge to point out that his own day was actually considerably older than Bilbo's.

"So how do you intend to do this?"

"Cami and I talked. We wouldn't want to have a public ceremony until after the birth of the twins. Normally we'd just wait, but there's so little time. So we've decided to exchange vows privately and set up housekeeping in one of the burrows near the pond. The public celebration will come later."

Maura hesitated and took a deep breath, "If you think that's alright, of course."

"Alright? Yes, it sounds sensible. But there's one more thing I'd like to ask. I'm not just a nosey old fool. There's a reason for this question. If you were somehow permitted to come to Greenwood, leaving all you know behind, would you do that? Would you follow Cami?"

Frodo looked up startled, but Maura did not blanche. "I've thought about that before. Yes, I'd go. Things are comfortable at Tol Fuin. Lindo's already qualified as a Loremaster, and he could teach the children. I'd miss some folk terribly. My sister and her family. Lindo and his boys.
But, even so, I'd go to Cami. The folk in the Anduin could probably use a teacher. But the plainest answer is that I love her and wherever she lives, that is my home."

Frodo's eyes widened to hear the particular words Maura had chosen for his answer.

Bilbo nodded. "You've told me what I need to know. I wish I could help."

A few moments earlier, Cami had returned, standing silently by the gate that led into the garden as she listened to the conversation. Bilbo was the first to see her and acknowledge her presence, "Cami, you've found a good one. I give you both my blessing. Now, go, the two of you, and enjoy the time you have."

Cami took Maura by the hand and scurried off to look for Piosenniel and Bird.

Old 03-11-2003, 06:06 PM   #168
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

"...'They did it better in my day'?" Frodo raised one eyebrow. "And how many proposals of marriage did you field in your day?"

Bilbo, in turn, raised his eyebrow back at Frodo, who nodded. "That's what I thought. You've been waiting for eighty years to do this."

"Longer, " Bilbo replied crisply, with a satisfied sigh. There was a pause.

"...Bilbo."

"Eh?"

"...I'm sorry."

Bilbo stirred impatiently. "What's the matter now?"

"I never gave you any grandchildren."

"For heaven's sake, lad, stop using every excuse possible to find fault with yourself."

"No, uncle, I really am sorry. After spending time with Sam's children this morning-- Elanor... And the boys, and little Rose..." he drifted off, and ran his hands across the edge of the table.

"You and I each took the path given to us, " Bilbo stated. "There's no sense regretting that."

"I wish I could dismiss it all as easily as you can." I'm still not like you, Bilbo, he thought, even now, after all these years in the West.

"And what would Gandalf have said to that, hm?"

Frodo sighed, and recited the quote with resignation. "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"And you can decide-- to look backwards with regret, or forward with hope."

Forward to what? Frodo wondered. You'll depart, and I'll go back to the West alone, to be fussed over by people who pity my impending death as if it was next week, and don't want to get too close to me because I'll leave them so shortly. Like losing a pet dog.

His eyes drifted out the window, and he decided he was being quite unfair. The elves had always treated him with dignity and respect, as an equal. Good old Gandalf was there, steady and dependable, and Elrond and Galadriel made time for him whenever he needed it.

He would simply have to do without hobbits in the West, once Bilbo was gone.

As if to echo his foreboding, Bilbo stood, and gathered his envelopes. "I'm off to Bag End to see Sam. Don't mope."

"I may just retire, " Frodo said.

"All the better for a full day tomorrow, " Bilbo said. "But I'd rather you went to the common room, and enjoyed some of the local company. Walk me out to the stable, will you? I'm sure Hob will take care of me from there."

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-12-2003, 01:04 AM   #169
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

After his conversation with Frodo, Bilbo headed for the pony cart and drove off in the direction of Hobbiton. His first stop was at Amaranthas' house, his second at Bag-end.

Bilbo had initially considered trying to conceal the real reason for his visit. He quickly came to his senses, realizing this deception would never work. Amaranthas was no fool and would undoubtedly see through his words. He had courteously brought along a small bouquet of flowers, but only as a gesture of politeness. So he presented the flowers and told the truth as bluntly and squarely as he could.

"I'm trying to persuade Sam to host a party at Bag-end. It would be for Frodo and his friends and also Maura, the new hobbit who's come in to see Cami. It was hard for the lads to talk comfortably at the Inn, and I'm hoping this will make it easier. No women around or anything fussy. Just a chance to chat in peace and share simple food and ale."

Amaranthas looked over and chuckled, "I see. Still trying to get your nephew out of his shell, so that he'll sit down and talk with his old friend Sam. And I suspect you want me to clear out Mistress Rose and her children, so you and your friends can rule the roost for one night."

"Your suspicions are on target, dear lady."

Amaranthas smiled and said out loud, "Only for you, Bilbo Baggins, would I do such a thing!" Inside, she was already scheming and arranging the evening to her satisfaction. A good chance to invite her friend Piosenniel and get a closer look at her husband. Also, that stranger Bird who was said to be a skin-changer, or whatever new fangled thing they called themselves.

Bilbo shook hands on the bargain, and promised to look in on Amaranthas another afternoon when he had more time. Then he pointed the cart in the direction of Bag-end, which was just a minute or two away.

Miz Rose immediately came to answer the door, and welcomed him inside. "Oh, please, Mister Bilbo, this truly is your home. You're always welcome here. It is we who should be apologizing to you."

"No need of that!" Bilbo countered in earnest, as he sat waiting for Sam to appear. Once Sam had come out from the back, they went to sit on a bench near the garden, one of Bilbo's favorite spots for smoking pipeweed. There was much reminiscing about this and that, until, finally, Bilbo drew out his pile of notes and thrust them at Sam.

"I've a great favor to ask," Then he went on to explain his ideas about the party, and how Sam's family could enjoy an evening with Amaranthas, and everything would be just like old times....

Sam responded politely, "I'd enjoy that, Mr. Bilbo. Mr. Frodo hasn't said how long you'll be staying. Let's not waste the time we have. You play host, and I'll handle the cooking and preparations and clean-up, so it doesn't fall on my wife." He took the invitations from Sam, and promised to have them delivered by special messenger that very afternoon.

"It's set then. The day after tomorrow. We'll meet here when the sun goes down." Sam nodded in agreement, and shook hands with Bilbo to seal their bargain.

Old 03-12-2003, 02:56 AM   #170
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

It was mid afternoon when Prim came walking in to the kitchen, a fistful of letters for the guests and some for the staff in her hand. Pio, Mithadan, and Bird had just finished a late lunch and were considering what to do with themselves to pass the rest of the day. Pio had suggested they take the pony cart and head north for a pleasant afternoon along the Water, and perhaps in Bindbale Wood. But, folks in the Shire were uneasy about the presence of Big Folk, all of whom they viewed with suspicion, despite the letters from the King and from the Mayor, or the fact that they seemed to be under the watchful eye of the Elf.

‘I suppose we could bundle you up like Bird did with Levanto and Kali when she took them on a tour of the lower tier of Minas Anor.’ Pio wrapped a dish towel round Mithadan’s face. ‘Perhaps if we scrunched you way down in the wagon, with a blanket over your limbs we could make you a passable Hobbit. That is, if no one approached too closely. And of course, you, Bird, could simply go as your namesake.’

She was saved from their unenthusiastic remarks about this venture, when Prim fished out a letter from her bundle and handed it to her. ‘Looks as if Miz Amaranthas has sent you a note, Mistress Piosenniel.’

Using a clean butter knife, Pio slit open the envelope and took out the note, reading it carefully. ‘Seems as if we have been invited to a gathering at Amarantha’s house.’ She read the note once more, her brow furrowed. ‘The guest list is a little strange, though. Besides me, and you, Mithadan, and Bird, the rest of the guests seem to be Sam’s children and Miz Rose. How odd.’

She had just passed the note to Mithadan, when the door to the kitchen flew open - in came Cami with Maura in tow, much to their surprise . . .

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-12-2003, 03:14 PM   #171
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

Save:
Old 03-12-2003, 05:14 PM   #172
Carrûn
Wight

Carrûn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Save
Old 03-13-2003, 12:11 AM   #173
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami scurried into the kitchen, with Maura following close behind. The hobbit broke into a broad smile as she looked up to see Mithadan and Piosenniel standing together.

"These are my friends, Maura, the people I wanted you to meet. The ones I was with on the Lonely Star."

Maura extended a hand to the Man in greeting. "Cami's told me about you. You must be Mithadan, the owner of the ship. The one who agreed to go searching for the lost hobbits. It's wonderful to meet you."

Mithadan's eyes sparkled with warmth, "And you, as well, Maura. We've heard much about you from Cami."

Maura turned about to face the Elf, and bowed adroitly at the waist, paying his respects in the same polite fashion that he might have done back in Gondolin. "I am afraid, Elven lady, that you have me at an advantage. Cami has not mentioned your name to me."

"Not mentioned my name?" The Elf turned and gave Cami a startled look. "But we are close friends. My name is Piosenniel."

Now it was Maura's turn to look alarmed. He shifted uneasily on his feet. "Piosenniel! But you are....." Maura's next words were not said aloud, but the expression on his face and the mental force with which he broadcast his thoughts came ringing into all their ears.

But you are....dead! You're not supposed to be here. You fell before the gates of Gondolin in hand-to-hand combat. Why aren't you in the West, or waiting in the Halls of Mandos? There was an awkward pause.

Cami looked sideways at Maura, her eyes widening in confusion and embarrassment, then surreptitiously wrapped her fingers around his arm and tugged him closer to her. "No, Maura. It's not like that." She looked over at Pio to try and explain. "I'm sorry. This misunderstanding is my fault. I should have told him what happened later." Cami mumbled a brief explanation about the return of the Elf and her later marriage.

Piosenniel shook her head and looked straight at Maura. "There is no way you could have known these things. And I am pleased you're here. Cami missed you so much." Then the two began to discuss some of the things that had happened on Tol Fuin since the departure of the Star.

Cami blanched. Maybe Bird was right. She had sensed that the shapechanger had grave reservations about bringing so many folk into the Shire from different places and times. Things could easily become confused. And, if they brought their friends and family to the Inn, the confusion would only get worse.

After Pio and Mithadan had chatted for a while with Maura, the two hobbits said their good byes and went off on their own to talk. Maura apologized for his blunder, although Cami said it was her fault for not remembering to tell him. Then, she took Maura's hand, and whispered, "I am afraid there will be more things like this. I know Bird worries about it. Maybe she's right. Maybe we'd best go off on our own, somewhere private and stay out of other's lives. Perhaps it's better that our friends and family stay where they are."

"No!" Maura's voice was adament. "I told you that I'm through dissembling. I won't do something just because others think it's best. There is so little that I can give you, Cami. But, at least, you will be married properly, standing up in front of those you love. And Bilbo would never forgive me if he didn't get to stand at your side. We will deal with the confusion and tumult."

"If this is something you want, then we'll do it."

"No, Cami," Maura gently clasped her hand and placed a kiss on her fingers.. "This is something we want, both of us."

Cami shook her head in sad acknowledgment. Then the couple went off looking for Lorien to give him their request.

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 03-13-2003, 05:40 AM   #174
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Something wasn't right.

Lindo snapped awake, surveying the territory around him. His three teenage boys were by his side, still asleep. He pressed a thought into their minds.

Wake up. Quiet.

They stirred and looked at him, and groggily stood, back to back, bleary-eyed but on guard, and waited, wondering silently where they were and how they had gotten there. But that question was displaced in their mind by their father's stealth; and their eyes began to sparkle, with mischief and pleasure. Excitement? Danger? Better still, perhaps a good prank before breakfast!

Lindo cautiously stood and defensively surveyed his surroundings, baffled. The sun was brightly shining through the trees, there was a gently-flowing river nearby, there were rolling hills and fields, and buildings-- rather large buildings, they seemed to him, although not as large as Gondolin's structures and houses.

There was no-one threatening nearby; but two hobbits, walking, chatting pleasantly, the older leaning on the arm of his companion.

Lindo reached out in thought, and tested the edge of their minds, looking for hostility. He felt none. But they looked up, stopped, and began to look around.

"Stay hidden, " he said to his boys. He moved silently away from the boys, and then stepped out from under the trees.

Retya, Tem and Tocca melted down to the ground and silently moved to where they could watch, and listen. Perhaps this was serious, they thought, with some disappointment, watching their father speak to the two strange, older hobbits.

"That one reminds me of Loremaster Maura, but for the brown hair," Tem whispered, pointing at Frodo.

The older hobbits welcomed Lindo, and began gesturing towards a nearby building. Everything looked friendly. The boys waited, feeling a bit glum. Their father's thoughts pressed gently into their minds.

Maura is here, and I am going to see him. He is with Nitir. This place is safe; you can come with me, or go off and explore.

He guessed their answer, and didn't wait for it. The three adults walked towards the Inn, and the three boys exchanged glances of conspiratory delight, and melted back into the woods.

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-13-2003, 06:01 AM   #175
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

An explosive sneeze burst from him, and he sat up wrinkling his nose in disgust. What a horrible smell. He opened his eyes.

It was dark, and dusty, and musty and -- panic gripped him. Caves, tombs, he was trapped, captive. On his feet, heart pounding wildly, he struggled to see in the darkness, growing angry and defiant. He groped about, trying to get his bearings, to find a way out.

His hands found small bodies, and his heart went deadly cold. His boys, trapped here with him? "Shhh, " he said as they began to ask questions; Why does it smell bad, where are we, why is it dark.

A glimmer of light caught his eye, and he stepped towards it; a tiny crack, barely discernable. He attacked it. In a few moments he had the shutter wrenched off and then he studied the dusty thing he had revealed. It looked like-- a window, sort of, although not shiny clean like the ones on The Lonely Star. But if it was glass, he could break it, and get out. His resolve hardened.

Looking down, he saw that although he was on a second story, he was not that far up, and there was a bush below him to the right. The fact that it was manicured and clipped did not cross his mind.

It took him perhaps ten seconds to use the shutter to smash the window and clear away enough broken glass that he could safely toss the boys out the window and into the bush. "Boys. Shh. Come here."

Roka went first, and climbed out of the bush; then Asta; then Ban. Lastly, Gamba jumped with Little Maura in his arms.

"Come on, let's get out of here, " Gamba ordered, still holding little Maura, and the three boys obediently followed him away from the prison and into the beckoning, friendly woods.

Piosenniel's ears caught the sound of breaking glass. There it was again-- and again. It sounded like it was coming from one of the unused rooms upstairs in the back. Who was vandalizing her Inn? She arose and stalked towards the sound, calling for Mithadan as she went.

Old 03-13-2003, 09:48 AM   #176
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan raced out the door and turned toward where the noise had been heard. A passing thought occurred to him; this was the first time that he had ever moved faster than Piosenniel. He smiled grimly as he rounded the corner of the Inn, by now painfully aware that he was unarmed.

Looking ahead, he saw a series of Hobbit children in rough clothes dropping from a second story window. Then a larger Hobbit slipped through the broken pane and fell to the ground. Mithadan was on him immediately, tackling the figure and pinning the Hobbit beneath him. In an instant, a whirlwind of children descended upon him scratching and biting any patch of available bare skin. Another seized a nearby stick and began clubbing Mithadan on the head with the makeshift weapon.

Piosenniel came up quickly from behind with knives in her hands. "Enough!" she cried. "Stop this foolishness!" Even as she shouted, the Hobbit beneath him wriggled and yelled "Get off me! Let me go!" Mithadan froze as he recognized the voice, and as the children retreated he rolled away from the Hobbit and stared at him in astonishment.

"Gamba?" he asked incredulouly...
Old 03-13-2003, 10:55 AM   #177
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bird had been staring, opened-mouthed, at the presence of Maura in the inn; though she had heard Cami speak of reuniting with her love of the first age, she had hoped that this would involve little more than some kind of Elvish union conducted through dreams and osenwe.

And yet there he was, in the flesh, so to speak. "Well," she thought, "at least it is another Hobbit, and not Levanto, or Ulmo, or a gathering of Ents. What next?"

As if in answer, the crashing of glass was heard outside, bringing the party to their feet, with Pio and Mith dashing for the courtyard. Bird immediately morphed into jackdaw form and followed, swooping out the door as a startled Phrim almost dropped the breakfast plates. She had heard this strange friend referred to as "skin-changer", but had little idea what it meant 'til now. "There's a strange one", thought Prim. "She bears watching, that one does."

Bird spied Mithadan wrestling mightily with a Halfing on the ground, while a passel of familiar-looking hobbit lads and lasses furiously beat him about the shoulders with kindling, pebbles, and unfortunately, some nearby pony dung. Bird dove amongst the melee, beating her wings and hissing frantically, "Stop it! Stop it right now! Have you all lost your senses?"

Suddenly, the Man jumped back, sprawling on the ground and gasped, "Gamba..."

Bird flopped to the ground in the circle of these newest visitors, shaking her head and muttering, "By the One! What next?"

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 03-13-2003, 11:22 AM   #178
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Frodo and Lindo heard the commotion a little before Bilbo. They veered from the front door, and headed for the back gardens.

Meanwhile, peering out from the woods, three Snowhobbits watched. "Four kids and a guy our age, " Tocca pondered.

Retya nodded. "The kids have courage, attacking that man. And the guy is no slouch either. He almost got those kids out of there. I thought Dad said this place was safe. We should help them escape; let's figure out how."

"Big man, " Tem said. "I don't like this. "

Mithadan picked himself up, Piosenniel sheathed her knives, Bird landed on the grass, and Gamba turned to Little Maura to check him for broken bones. Miraculously, the child was unhurt. "You could have killed him!" Gamba accused Mithadan.

"Well, I didn't, thankfully, " Mithadan said grimly, brushing himself off. "And now would you mind--"

"Would you mind telling me why you were smashing my windows?" Pio erupted furiously.

"After you tell me why you trapped me in there!" Gamba raged. "I forgave you! I thought you had made a mistake tying up Mom and Kesha and I! And now you did it again! I hate you! Bird was right about you!"

"What?" Pio replied. "Now, just a minute--"

Gamba raged on until Mithadan took him by the shoulders and sternly hushed him. "Gamba. Piosenniel did nothing to you. No-one is trying to hurt you."

Gamba stared at him, slowly relaxing, as Mithadan continued to calm him. But then a hitherto unheard voice suddenly cut with strange clarity through the chaos; or was it osanwe?

"Bird?"

Everybody spun. Three more hobbits had come around the corner of the building. One of them with his hair in elvish braids bolted forward past all the commotion, and slowed in front of the jackdaw, pacing slowly towards her, and then in slow motion, kneeling gently in front of her.

"Bird? Oh, Bird, is it really you?"

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by:
mark12_30 ]

Mithadan's Post:

Mithadan looked over to the lads and lasses, recognizing them as Gamba's adoptees. Then he turned to face the group of older Hobbits that had advanced from the trees. These he did not recognize, but he noted that they were dressed very oddly. Then he glanced over to Frodo, who was approaching with..."Lindo?"

He sat heavily on the ground and clasped his hand on his forehead with a groan. A trickle of blood ran down his cheek from one of many scratches on his face and arms. Then his head shot up and he cried, "Would someone please tell me what is happening here?"

As if in answer, a shutter opened above them and Lorien leaned out and shouted. "Is everyone here then? Splendid! Someone find Cami and Maura and tell them their guests are here. I must meet each and every one of you. This is becoming such a jolly occaision! I'll be right down..."

Mithadan's eyes seemed to become unfocused. Then he turned to look at Piosenniel with his mouth open, but no words came...

Meanwhile, a Hobbit stood near the stables watching the fracas. Then he turned and dashed off down the lane and veered at a fork in the direction of Bywater...

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 03-13-2003, 11:26 AM   #179
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Hob had rushed over from the stables and Prim, with Cook in her wake had flown out the door at the sound of the fracas. Thinking that a troop of brigands were attacking the guests at the Inn, Hob carried a pitchfork, Prim her stout oaken stick kept behind the bar for the more argumentative of patrons, and Cook held aloft her heavy iron, long handled stirring spoon. The three of them gathered round Piosenniel thinking to defend her from what now appeared to be a large group of young Hobbits.

Prim and Hob stood directly in front of her, glaring at the young, rude lad who had spewed out such hateful words to her. Pio would have laughed at this scene except for the fact that the venomous words from Gamba had upset her. She rubbed her forehead and sighed. Many years must have passed for him, and still he hated her.

‘I can do nothing to change what has occurred between us,’ she thought to herself, ‘but I can remove myself as a source of irritation. This is Cami’s time for happiness, let her enjoy this reunion.’

Cook, by this time, had grasped her firmly by the arm and dragged her back into the kitchen, with Prim and Hob as rear guard. The door was firmly shut and locked. ‘Who was that?’ asked Prim, watching Pio pace back and forth on the stone floor. ‘Cami’s friends. Come from far off.’ returned the Elf. ‘Well. I don’t like them one bit!’ added in Cook, shaking her spoon at the closed door. ‘Where have they been living, to be so . . . so rude . . . and uncivilized?’

Pio stopped, and laughed at this assessment of the newly arrived Hobbit group. ‘They have been living outside the Shire Bounds for a long, long time.’ ‘Well, I suppose that counts for something in the matter of their behavior,’ mused Hob. ‘Not much in my book!’ returned Cook. ‘You can’t tell me all sense of Hobbit politeness has been bred out of them.’

‘This is exactly what I do not want happening.’ Pio gave her three defenders the briefest of histories concerning the newly arrived Hobbits. ‘Please try to be as kind and accommodating as you can. These are Cami’s family and that of her soon to be husband, if I am not mistaken in reading that situation.’ ‘As you wish Mistress Piosenniel,’ said Prim in a tight voice, but if that one attacks you again in any way, I’m afraid I’ll have to accommodate him with my oak stick.’

‘That will not be a problem any longer, Prim.’ Pio turned to Hob. ‘Bring ‘Falmar round to the side door.’

She ran to her room, and threw some necessary things into her old pack, slipping the purse with the gold coins Mithadan had sent her into the front pocket of it. . Picking up her cloak, she hurried to the side door just as Hob arrived with ‘Falmar. ‘And what shall we say when they ask where you’ve gone?’ asked Prim, as she watched Pio clamber up onto the horse.
‘Tell them I have a sudden taste for a glass of outland ale.’

She leaned down and spoke softly to Prim, telling her where she was bound. ‘Send word to me, if you will when the Inn has quieted down.’ Across the yard, quickly she sped on ‘Falmar, heading east once she reached the main road.

Old 03-13-2003, 11:35 AM   #180
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird looked up to this newest face looming over her. Her feathers, which had been ruffled in anger and agitation, slowly subsided, and she sank into the dirt of the courtyard, looking thin, small, and very tired. She shook her head sadly, not looking up.

"Hullo, Lindo. Yes. It's me."
Old 03-13-2003, 11:50 AM   #181
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Mithadan was asking Frodo and Bilbo to explain to Gamba why he had awoken in the strange room, in between sternly warning Gamba that he owed Piosenniel an apology. Gamba, bewildered and resentful, was trying to make sense out of Frodo and Bilbo's explanation. Roka was examining Mithadan's clothing, Ban and Asta were exploring the courtyard with loud questions, and Little Maura was asking about breakfast.

The Snowhobbits slowly came out from their hiding place, watching their father. In the midst of the confusion, he drew as close to Bird as he could, and then thoroughly mesmerized, reached one hand towards her; but a few seconds later, he withdrew it. The boys looked on in surprise as tears rolled down his face.

"It's the shapechanger, " Tocca whispered, in awe.

"Of course it is, " Retya replied. The three boys drew near, nudging each other with their elbows. "Gently." "Be careful." "Don't crowd her." "Why is she sad?"

"Why is Father crying?" Tem asked.

"Hush, " Retya ordered. "Just don't let anybody else see." The boys covered Lindo's back, and stood between him and the confusion.

Gamba, fearful and baffled, disengaged himself from Frodo and Bilbo, and walked over to where Mithadan sat on the ground. "Mithadan?"

Mithadan gave Gamba a rather blank stare.

"You look nasty. We should get you to a stream so you can wash up. But-- is it true that my mom is here?"

"Yes."

"Oh, no, " Gamba groaned, and looked up at the smashed window. "She's not going to like this. Not one bit."

[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-13-2003, 12:55 PM   #182
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Two pairs of hobbit feet pounded down the hall trailed behind by guilty giggles. Running full speed through the door, Anee and Rose burst into Anee's small yet comfortable bedroom out of breath from running so fast and laughing so hard. Rose threw herself upon the bed, abandoning all pretense of dignity, and threw a plump pillow at her friend. Anee caught it deftly and exclaimed, "Let's not go to sleep all night!"

Though both hobbits had just entered their tweens, the normal time of growing and maturing, tonight they were determined to act as gay and silly as the youngest, most mischevious hobbit child playing in the Shire.

"Of course," Rose replied delighted. And the pair of them spent the night staging mock battles with swords of feather pillow, scaring each other with old wive's tales
passed down for time out of mind, and talking till the moon had risen high over the night sky. Finally, the conversation slowly trickled off, and both hobbits lay curled together, each lost in their own private thoughts. Rose felt her mind being drawn irresistibly back through time through time to the voyage of the Lonely Star. Her eyes closed slowly, feeling the wooden prow dip and rise with the sea. Bird, strange and beautiful; the tall, strong Mithadan; Pio strongwilled and fierced when pressed but a blessing to her friends, Cami whose face was looking rather tired, whose eyes sometimes seemed to be looking at someone else: the old crew, whom Rose had come to treasure, and whose faces were locked safely in her memory, awoke and smiled down at her.

Rose twisted restlessly on Anee’s soft bed and drew the covers farther up under her chin. The cloth was coarse but warm and waves of sleepiness broke over her as the ocean breaks upon the shore. The young hobbit felt herself covered and pulled by its irresistable tide, and for only a moment she resisted before falling completely submerged into the realm of dreams.

A great army of elves were marching to battle, off to defeat the stronghold of Angband and draw out The Black Enemy, and Rose was in the lead, clad in shining mail armour and carrying a deadly sword. She was suprised to see herself riding a spirited stallion; hobbits were not generally made for such modes of travel. A great shout was taken up by the soldiers and Rose reined in her steed to see what was the disturbance. An ambush! As common in the manner of dreams, the fantasy skipped ahead, and the small hobbit was now battling fiercely with five orcs. As intensely as she fought, the orcs began to overwhelm her. A great leering face flashed in front of Rose, swinging upward a heavy iron sword. With a scream she ducked...

And rolled with a hard thwump into a ditch. Confused, still trying to fight away the vicious orcs, Rose heard the steady beat of horse hooves upon a road, and she wondered for one wild moment if she had been knocked out in battle. Rising unsteadily to her feet, the young hobbit lass turned to see if Anee had been awakened by her struggles, but her friend was nowhere to be found.

Instead, Rose discovered herself plump in the middle of a lush countryside, a land which looked slightly familiar but which she had left what seemed like many years ago. Or had she left at all?

Poor Rose had forgotten all about the rider, who was stopped and now staring at her in much the same fashion as the young hobbit was staring at the fields lining the road. Feeling the sharp pair of eyes boring into her back, Rose turned to see the only character to make the strange dream she seemed to have landed inside even more bizarre.

“Miss Pio??” Rose managed to gasp outloud, shocked to see the elf’s figure, quite round in the middle, straddling a beautiful horse with only slight difficulty.

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: theWhiteLady ]
Old 03-13-2003, 02:22 PM   #183
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Not far from the Green Dragon stands a haven of relative tranquility. Along the southern edge of Bywater Pool, some distance from the Inn itself, a park extends along the shore. Sam had made a point to plant a great many saplings here, each with a tiny particle of silver dust at its roots, which had come from the box that Galadriel had entrusted to him. The result was pleasing to the eye and ear, a sweet haven of tall birches and weeping willows whose tangled limbs were home to any number of birds and small animals.

It was here that Zira and Ban awoke, with their two children close beside them. Zira clasped little Azra to her chest, while Abar wandered off, searching for something interesting to play with or explore. His parents remained behind, cautiously scanning the horizon, but could see no one in sight. Of all the arrivals, they were the only ones, besides Maura himself, who had at least a glimmering of where they were and why they'd been brought here.

Zira turned flashing eyes on her husband, "Is this it? Is this the place Ancalimon told Maura about?"

"Perhaps," responded her husband, "but where's Maura? Why are we the only ones here? Should we stay here, or go looking for them?"

Zira shruged her shoulders in bewilderment. "I'm not sure. Ancalimon never told us about that."

Ban nodded, "Perhaps we'd best stay here then. Ancalimon said this was the work of a Vala, so perhaps he wants us in this special place." Ban stretched out on the grass and closed his eyes to take a little nap, while his wife kept an eye on Abar who was splashing about in the shallow waters, chasing after minnows.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:52 PM   #184
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Olo Bracegirdle had been walking towards The Green Dragon when he saw a tall Man assault a young Hobbit. He watched in horror as several lads and lasses fell upon the Man, trying to drag him from the Hobbit. But when he saw the Elf approach with knives drawn, he had seen enough.

Olo raced down the lane and took the fork over towards Bywater. It was a while later when arrived at the Shirriff's, red in the face and puffing hard. He burst into the office, out of breath and wild eyed. Halfred Whitfoot stood up from his chair behind the desk and approached Olo. "Here now," said Halfred. "What's the problem?"

"Murder!" panted Olo. "Mayhem! There's this Man over at the Green Dragon and he and that bloody Elf have gone and attacked a Hobbit and some children!"

"I knew no good would come of this," growled Halfred. "Milo, Hugo! Get the others! Grab your bows, staves and knives!"

Moments later, a band of six deputies on ponies accompanied Halfred and rode towards the Green Dragon...
Old 03-13-2003, 05:34 PM   #185
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami and Maura had left to take a walk immediately after their conversation with Lorien. He had assured them all their relatives and friends would be brought safely through to the Inn in one large group sometime later that afternoon. Since there was still considerable time till then, Cami had suggested they take a wicker hamper from the storeroom, and load it down with goodies for lunch. Holding hands and singing as they tripped blithely along, the pair headed off in the direction of Hobbiton.

"I'll take you to all my favorite spots, and then we'll head over to the party field. There's a beautiful mallorn that grows there now, or so I've been told. It will make a shady nook for us to eat."

The two hobbits ate their lunch under the spreading limbs of the mallorn and laid down together on their backs, staring up into the blue skies and guessing which animals the large puffy clouds resembled. Maura took out his pocket knife and cut off pieces of apple, popping them into Cami's mouth one-by-one. Afer watching the butterflies play on the breeze and chasing each other around the meadow several times, Cami suggested they return to the Inn just in case Lorien decided to bring their visitors through a little early.

They were about half-way down the Hobbiton/Bywater Road, when their stroll was interrupted by the sudden arrival of another hobbit. Prim the Innkeeper stood before them on the roadway, doubled over and breathing hard.

"Prim, what's wrong? You're exhausted. What's happened?" Cami led her over to the side of the road, and set her down in the tall grass.

"Oh, Miz Cami, you and your Mister have to come back now. Right now. Something awful has happened. Aren't you Gamba's mother?"

Cami felt her heart freeze as she nodded mutely in Prim's direction. "Yes, why?" she managed to ask.

Prim had gathered her facts carefully before she had come. She told Cami about the arrivals at the Inn, the broken window pane, and the attack on Mithadan. Cami sat still, staying calm and saying nothing. It was only when Prim got to the part about Gamba telling Piosenniel how he hated her and something about being put in chains that the fire in Cami's eyes roared up, and she began sprinting along the road in the direction of the Inn.

"And Pio? Where is she?" Cami asked.

"She's gone, galloping off madly on her steed."

"But where?"

Prim replied tersely, "I'm not at liberty to say that, at least to the likes of you. If I were you, I'd keep better control of those boys. They've no manners in their body."

At this point, Maura suddenly interrupted Prim's lecture to Cami, "That will be enough. Let's stop bickering. It doesn't help, anyways."

As they trotted up to the courtyard, Cami was greeted by a large crowd that included a battered-looking Mithadan, a despondent Bird, her own son Gamba, with his brothers in tow, and someone who looked like Lindo accompanied by a passel of young hobbits. Lorien stood in the background smiling.

Cami threw a stern look in Gamba's direction, then stopped for a moment to count noses. She and Maura exchanged feverish glances as they came to the same conclusion, and whirled around to face Lorien.

"You said they would come through in one large group later today. That's not what happened."

Maura ran directly up to Lorien, "We're missing hobbits." He glanced around hurriedly one last time. "Rose Goodchild, Cami's daughter, and my sister and their family! Where are they?" Maura's voice was as close to hysteria as Cami had ever heard it, even in the Orcish camps.

Lorien shrugged his shoulders lightly and smiled, "Now, let's see. I know they came through somewhere. Yes, somewhere in the Shire."

"In the....Shire?" The words came out very slowly. "But the Shire is a very big place." Cami glared at Lorien and vehemently added, "It has exactly 21,400 square miles! I suggest you start looking for our families."

It was at this moment that a good-sized dust cloud appeared on the horizon, which appeared to be a small cavalry unit of hobbits, charging towards the Inn with staves and cudgels drawn.

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 03-13-2003, 06:35 PM   #186
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio urged ‘Falmar to a slower speed, and guided him off the dirt road that joined Bywater to the Great East Road. They picked their way carefully under the shelter of the trees, being careful not to slip on the pebbly scree of the steep slope down from the roadway. The hard, fast pounding of hooves on the packed dirt of the road's surface had alerted her there were riders coming her way, and she slipped behind some dense shrubby undergrowth until they had passed.

‘What is this, now?’ she asked herself, seeing the Shiriff and several of his deputies go clattering by on their ponies. Armed with bows on their backs, knives in their belts, and staves gripped firmly in their hands, the Hobbits raced in the direction from which she had come with grim faces and a fiery purpose in their eyes.

‘Falmar stood stock still as they passed, watching the ponies run by. One turned his head slightly, noting the great grey horse hiding in the shadows, but his rider urged him on with his heels. ‘Falmar walked cautiously from beneath the trees when they had passed and made her way back onto the road. Pio wondered if she should turn round to see what the Shiriff and his band were doing, but ‘Falmar shook her head, her mind bent on taking her rider away from harm.

With a great leap she broke into a run, heading east once again, putting distance between herself and the last dusty sighting of the Hobbits and their steeds.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:15 PM   #187
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

‘Here now!’ yelled Prim, as she spied the quickly approaching pack of ponies. Cook had run to join her, seeing Prim stand resolutely in the path of the advance. Both ladies had hastily removed their aprons and now stood flapping them wildly in the face of the lead pony. It had the desired effect.

Dumpling was a mild mannered Shire pony and he served his rider, Halfred Whitfoot, well. Never complaining about the extra pounds that seemed to creep onto the Hobbit’s frame with each passing year, he was always willing to try to give what Halfred demanded. But this was too much! He shied at the great white flapping cloths. They spooked him, and he reared up wildly, pawing at them with his hooves then turned and tried to get away.

Halfred clung on for dear life. He was not a born rider, and though he enjoyed riding sedately on his rounds about the Shire, he did not relish the thrill of the chase on horseback, nor was he prepared for the fractious reaction of his mount. He went tumbling onto the ground, as Dumpling reared and then ran off, the bit in his teeth, eyes rolling madly at the ladies and their aprons.

The rest of the posse came to a tumultuous halt, barely keeping their own mounts from panicking. They milled about in the yard of the Inn, looking down at their fallen leader. Halfred raised himself up to a sitting position, rubbing the rapidly growing goose egg bump where his head had met the dirt. His eyes were a little unfocused and he winced with pain as he looked at the figure standing over him.

‘Halfred Whitfoot! What cause have you to come charging into the Inn yard like this?! No one here called for you.’ Prim fixed him with a hard, brown eye as he smiled weakly up at her. ‘Not here to cause me any trouble are you?’ she demanded.

A sudden gleam came into her eye, and she reached down a hand, hoisting him to his feet. 'On second thought, you might just have arrived in time. There are some visiting Hobbits who have gone missing. Perhaps you and your doughty force can help us find them . . .'
Old 03-13-2003, 10:55 PM   #188
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pale green beryl-colored bottles clanked in the back of Merry Brandybuck's pony cart as the wheels thumped and bumped over the occasional rough patches in the road. Good thing he'd remembered to wrap them in old cloaks and blankets packed with straw. Merry's cargo was Barliman Butterbur's greatly renowned Elessar Ale fresh brewed. Such drink was becoming harder to get by the day, as the wagons to and from Bree left their routinely-trodden tracks more and more silent and untravelled.

"Beef and brew" the invitation had said, written in Bilbo Baggins' loose sprightly hand. No mention of mushrooms, so Merry'd brought along a sackful just in case. He smiled at the thought of getting together with just Bilbo, Frodo, Pippin, and Sam. While the dinner party at the Green Dragon had been a night to remember, he was looking forward to what rollicking mirth a handful of Hobbits could muster.

Merry came clad in a mail shirt glinting white and rhythmically clinking to match the afternoon sun latticing light through chattering leaves. He came with shield bearing the Rohirric emblem of a milky steed galloping smoothly against a green field, ... to inspire more speed in his pony, he jokingly told himself.

Under Merry's seat lay a "whacking stick" of stout black hawthorn. With what his cousins Doderic and Celandine had seen of Men prowling and sneaking about outside the windows of quiet, law-abiding Hobbits, it made good sense to be cautious. His thoughts drifted to his newlywed Estella … Merry felt a twinge of regret on leaving her behind, especially after such reports. But the party was to be an all-boys event, and Estella was sensible enough to manage just fine left to her own devices in the smial at Brandy Hall. Meanwhile, he'd left a poem in her honor for her to find while he was away. He'd penned it that very morning with the quill and ink she'd given him, then hidden it away in a canister of flour.

Meanwhile, the miles whirled by under the steady cadence of hoof and wheel, bringing him closer to his group of close friends.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:19 AM   #189
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Halfred struggled to his feet with the assist of Prim, and brushed the dust off his clothes. He picked his hat up from where it had tumbled in the dirt and thwacked it against his leg, setting the feather to quivering and sending up a great cloud of dust. Placing the cap firmly back on his head, Halfred called his men to attention and puffing up his chest like a great toad, looked Primrose Bolger square in the eye.

‘Mistress Prim, there’ll be none of your sharp tongue to turn my purpose aside today. I’ve received a complaint from a citizen of the Shire that one of the Big Folk has laid hands on a young Hobbit, in the attempt to do him bodily harm. And further it was said that an Elf also tried to attack the Hobbit with a knife.’ Halfred’s men came up behind him, weapons in hand, to back up his words.

‘Letter or no, from King or Mayor, I’ve come to put the Man back into the Locks, as is my responsibility as Shiriff. And along with the Man, I’ve come to take into custody the Elf, and lock her up, too.’

Cook gasped when she heard these words come out of Halfred’s mouth. She clutched Prim’s hand and gave it a squeeze, whispering in her ear. ‘You mustn’t tell them where’s she’s gone.’ Prim’s lips were set in a thin hard line. ‘Never!’ she whispered back.

Halfred and his men pushed past Prim and Cook, making for Mithadan . . .

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-14-2003, 03:17 AM   #190
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

“Pio??” Rose managed to gasp out loud, shocked to see the Elf’s figure, quite round in the middle, straddling a beautiful horse with only slight difficulty.

‘Falmar had not wanted to stop, and even now, she pranced in an agitated manner, wanting to fly on down the road. Pio‘s attention was fixed on calming her mount, and she could not pay attention to the Hobbit staring at her, mouth agape. But when she had brought the horse into line, she turned her head with a smile to the young lass standing at the side of the road.

‘I should have known you would come alone, in your own way, Rose. And not with the others. That has always been your way.’ Pio reached down her arm, and helped Rose to mount up behind her. ‘The place you are seeking lies a half day’s walk behind us on this road. Come stay with me for the night at the lodging just up the road. I shall see you get to the place you need to be by tomorrow for certain, though I will not be returning there myself for a while.’

‘And what place is that Pio? And why am I here, with you?’ There was a small note of fear in Rose’s voice as she spoke. Pio urged ‘Falmar back down the road, away from the Inn. She reined her in, keeping her to a slow walk as she explained to Rose what had happened – the arrival of Cami, the arrivals of Bilbo, Frodo, and Lorien, then Maura and the contingents of Hobbits from Tol Fuin and Greenwood.

‘We are all here?’ Rose’s voice had now taken on a note of wonder, and mild disbelief that this had happened. Still, here she was, mounted behind Pio, heading through the once familiar country side of the Shire. ‘So, are we all here to celebrate the birth of your and Mithadan’s babies,’ she said, still trying to figure out the events that had occurred.

‘No! Not at all, you goose! Though I am happy you will be here to see them.’ Pio urged ‘Falmar on at a faster pace. ‘Save your questions until we reach the inn. It is nearby. We can relax, have something to eat and drink. And then you can ply me with all the questions you wish, and I you . . .’
Old 03-14-2003, 04:06 AM   #191
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Gamba surged ahead, much to the suspicion of the Green Dragon staff and the surprise of the shirriffs.

"That's the one, " said Olo. "That's the strangely dressed lad that was under attack!"

Gamba planted himself in front of Mithadan and said, "Leave him alone. He's my friend. He didn't hurt me!"

"We'll be the judge of that, " Halfred replied, coming forward. Gamba crouched and his fists came up. Lindo and the three Snowhobbits stepped up beside Gamba, confused but defiant. Frodo advanced, protesting violence between hobbits, but his words were lost in the confusion and his intentions mistaken by many. As Halfred came near, Gamba took a swing at him...

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-14-2003, 07:14 AM   #192
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Gamba's punch went wide of the mark as rage welled up inside, making it impossible for him to see clearly. Cami instantly rushed forward, intent on protecting her son from the violence threatening to pour onto his head. She watched as Gamba's clenched fist hit the air. He spun around off balance, falling to the ground in an awkward heap.

Acting from a deep seated instinct for self-preservation, Halfred had pulled back his arm intending to land a punch against Gamba. It took only a split second for Cami's presence and Gamba's fall to register, but the split second came too late.

Already the blow had been launched. Halfred's clenched fist connected with Cami's lower jaw, as she crumpled into an unconscious pile, her eyes rolling upward. With no hesitation, Maura raced forward like an angry bull with a red flag waving in front of its eyes. He held his head down like a battering ram, and was about to throw himself at the shirriff, when Mithadan grabbed him by the collar and drew him back.

A large crowd had gathered beside the road to witness this event. Lunch patrons at the Inn as well as hobbits on their way to market stopped to gawk and whisper. Bilbo thought he'd seen enough. He tottered forward, clinging to a passer-by, struggling to his knees near Cami and begging for someone to bring him a cold cloth.

"Who's that?" muttered Peony Burrows to her neighbor. "I swear he looks familiar."

"Never seen 'im before," the young Bodo Boffin confided.

Dudo Baggins ran up to the elderly hobbit and stared him squarely in the face. He had no memory of the wizened face, but the eyes, with their hint of fire and wit, were hauntingly familiar. "Cousin Bilbo? Bilbo Baggins? Is that you?" His tone was one of distress. "But you disappeared thirty years ago!"

Bilbo fixed a flashing eye on the hobbits gathered in the circle. "Yes, and you can be sure it will be another thirty years before I venture here again. I'm visiting with my nephew Frodo."

At this point, all eyes turned toward the slender, quiet hobbit who stood at the rear of the assembly. A few more jaws dropped wide.

Bilbo glared at the shirriff, "You've just decked a woman, one who's never lifted a finger against you, I might add."

At this point hobbits began to whisper and point, some discussing the present incident and others inquiring about Frodo and Bilbo. At least one raised the question whether the two might have returning with the intention of reclaiming Bag-end.

"Where's that Frodo been?" Ruby Greenhand demanded.

Robin Brandybuck shrugged her shoulders, "Off on some adventure, I guess."

Bird wandered over to Maura, muttering as she went, "I knew this was bound to happen."

Maura turned and pleaded with Bird. "Please, you've got to help us. I need to stay with Cami till I'm sure she's alright. But my sister and her family are missing. Rose Goodchild, as well. Won't you help find them?"

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 03-14-2003, 08:03 AM   #193
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird circled higher and higher, shaking her head and half-wondering if she should just fly west to the Tower Downs and take a long visit with her old friend Holly Stoor until this whole, ridiculous situation blew over.

Of course she did not, for "the situation" had become far too interesting. Her curiosity would never permit her to leave now, despite her instincts telling her to "skip town".

"So I'm to find four Hobbits in a land of Hobbits, eh?" she grumbled to herself. "May as well ask me to find four certain midges in the Midgewater Marsh! How did I ever think that this would be a relaxing visit with old friends? Well, I suppose I'll just look for Fourth Age Hobbits in First Age clothing. Do I even remember what Ban and Zira look like?"

She gazed down on the groomed fields and tidy hedgeroads of Suza. There were Halflings everywhere! Busy as ants, enjoying their isolation from the troubles of Middle-earth, and reveling in their prosperity.

She tried to imagine if the rest of Man's world would ever achieve such stability and peace. Or would they just fall again into conflict and ruin, eventually sweeping the Halfings away with them? She shook her head again, and continued with her search.

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 03-14-2003, 08:52 AM   #194
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

‘Falmar settled down into a steady rythm and Rose relaxed her tight grip around Pio’s waist; maybe riding a horse wasn’t so bad! Any other day, she would have been terribly excited, and even now she felt a twinge of happiness, but it was overclouded by the many questions whirling through her mind. She began to feel the beginnings of a headache. Where had Anee gotten to? Why was she really here? Could this just be another bizarre dream? Maybe she should stop sneaking
mushrooms before bedtime...

Knowing it was useless to ask Pio any of these questions until they arrived at the
inn, Rose found herself watching the roadside lined with quaint cottages and a few snug hobbit holes, painted bright green with little yellow knobs in the center and
surrounded by gardens whose various flowers peeped their bright faces over a picket fence struggling to contain them. There were also fields waving their bountiful crop in greeting, caressed gently by a warm breeze which also swept a solitary cloud over the sky. It was, without a doubt, a most beautiful day in the Shire, and it seemed to be presenting all its glory to welcome back little Rose.

The time passed slowly, but Rose noticed ‘Falmar’s steps growing more spririted, sensing the inn quite close. The horse was, of course, right and a only a few moments passed by before a two story building, the first Rose had seen in a very long time, came into sight. She recognized it faintly, but though things did not change very quickly in the Shire, Rose did not realize her adventures on the Star and her time living in Greenwood had made her a completely different hobbit. It was as if she had been given a pair of tinted spectacles and saw all the normal things of the Shire in a different light; or was it like having a veil lifted and seeing everything more clearly? She couldn’t decide before Pio reined in ‘Falmar and turned slightly in the saddle, thinking the young hobbit asleep after so long and so unusual a silence, but the Elf instead saw Rose instead looking around at the inn with an slight expression of sadness and wonder.

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: theWhiteLady ]
Old 03-14-2003, 02:12 PM   #195
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

There was a gasp from the crowd as Halfred’s hammy fist connected with the side of Cami’s jaw. Halfred himself blanched when he realized what he had done, and bent down red faced, spluttering apologies to the fallen woman as he offered her a hand up. He was knocked away by several of Cami’s friends and family who rushed in to help her to her feet. They stood in a ring around Cami, glaring at the Shiriff and his men.

The shock of downing an innocent Hobbit (more or less, that is, since she was only defending her son, he reasoned) brought Halfred back to his senses. He stepped back, taking a deep breath and reassessed the situation. He wanted, at all costs, to avoid a riot in the Inn yard. There was now a large crowd of townspeople gathered, and loud mutterings could be heard on either side of the argument for arresting the outland ruffians. The mood was an ugly one, and Halfred looking at his small band of deputies, chose on the side of caution.

He gathered his men about him, and spoke softly to them. ‘Listen up, good folk. After conferring with my deputies, I’ve made my decision . . .’
Old 03-14-2003, 02:50 PM   #196
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Halfred pulled out a red cotton handkerchief and mopped the sweat from his red face. "Umm, now this lad," he continued, pointing to Gamba. "Says he wasn't hurt by the Man, is that correct?"

Gamba, rising from the dust, nodded his head. "Mithadan is my friend."

"Did he attack you?" asked Halfred with narrowing eyes.

Mithadan stepped forward. "I was only wrestling with the lad and his...the other little ones," he said with a smile. "And he's quite good too!"

Gamba beamed at the compliment. But the Shirriff was not satisfied quite yet. "Is that right lad?" Gamba nodded innocently.

"What about the Elf with the knife?" cried Olo.

"Elf?" asked Prim. "You mean Mistress Piosenniel, whose about so pregnant I'm amazed she doesn't burst?" Several members of the crowd laughed at this. "She went off to the east earlier today on some errand or other. She's been gone for a bit." And of course, Prim's comments were not untruthful -- the terms 'earlier' and 'a bit' were just not clearly defined.

Halfred looked about and saw no dissent, though Olo looked indignant. "Then no harm done. Let the Hobbit go," he instucted the deputies who released Maura. He looked down at Cami who had been revived by Bilbo and Frodo. "Sorry, Ma'am," he said with a bow. "A bit of a misunderstanding apparently. Though your son shouldn't swing at a Shirriff, now, should he?"

Halfred turned to Prim and said through gritted teeth, "Wouldn't it be best if your...guests stayed inside rather than making such a commotion?" Prim nodded with a sweet smile for Halfred. Excusing himself, Halfred mounted his pony and rode off with his deputies.

Prim turned to the assembled crowd and shouted, "Alright! No more to see here." To Mithadan and the others she turned a jaundiced eye and growled, "Inside! The whole lot o' ya!"
Old 03-14-2003, 03:06 PM   #197
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

As the crowd began to disburse, and shuffle Innward, Gamba tugged at Mithadan's sleeve even as he headed over to check on his mother.

"What is it, Gamba?" Mithadan asked.

"I don't really have to go back in that building... do I?" Gamba pleaded, even as he knelt down by his mother. Then he met his mother's gaze, which although foggy was beginning to clear. "Mom, you should have ducked."

He heard strange voices behind him. "How did you miss at that close range, anyway?"

"Let him be, Retya."

Gamba stood and turned, and found himself face to face with Retya.

"What's with the sissy braids?" Gamba said.

"Sissy?"

Two other braided teenagers stepped forward.

"The three of you. Cut your hair. What do you think you are, elvish or something?"

"Let him be, " their father repeated.

Gamba sized Lindo up next, without hiding the contempt in his voice. "You too?"

"Grow your hair and braid it like a warrior, " Lindo replied, evenly and coldly meeting Gamba's gaze. Gamba soon dropped his eyes. Then Lindo turned towards the Inn, and the three teenagers laughed, and followed suit.

At their laughter, Gamba flushed crimson and his fists clenched; but Mithadan siezed Gamba by the elbow and dragged him towards the Inn while Maura, Frodo, and Bilbo helped Cami to her feet. The four little boys scampered after Gamba, chirruping and laughing. Gamba counted them reflexively, and then looked back at Cami.

"Hey, Mithadan, " Gamba said, looking back over his shoulder, "Who is that greyhaired guy with his arm around my mom?"

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-14-2003, 05:08 PM   #198
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

‘Let’s get that last bale of hay up to the loft!’ Hob stood looking with a critical eye at the hay window at the top of the stable, wondering if he and Faldo could do this themselves. Faldo followed his line of sight up to the pulley apparatus. He rubbed the arm of his shirt across his already sweaty brow, then flexed his tired back and shoulder muscles. ‘I think I’ve got one more pull left in me, Hob. You go on up there and drag it in.’

Faldo rolled up his sleeves and wiped the palms of his hands on his breeches. Leaning over the bale to check the lashings round it were secure, he pulled on rope’s hook to make sure it was set. Hob waved at him from the upper window, hay hooks in hand to draw in the bale once it was raised. Faldo planted his feet firmly and grasping the thick rope, he began to inch it up to the waiting Hob.

Hob signaled with a nod of his head that he had the bale, and pulled it onto the loft as Faldo slackened the rope. ‘Good work, Faldo. Come in and have an ale on the house.’ Hob clapped the Hobbit on the back and started for the kitchen door. ‘I’ll pass on that for today, at least.’ smiled Faldo, walking into the barn. ‘Supper should be ready soon. The missus will be expecting me.’ He took the string of three ponies Hob had indicated to him and headed home to stable them at his holding.

Hob waved him off, and looked back at the stable. That left Mithadan’s horse and one Inn pony left in the stalls. He took the pitchfork and shovel and quickly mucked out the stalls, making sure there was plenty of clean straw in the empty ones as well as the two that were occupied. He had already spread a thick layer about in the loft and left clean blankets up there. He stepped back, once he was done, to survey his handiwork. ‘Good enough!’ he thought. ‘Looks fine for those not concerned about roughing it.’

It was Prim who had suggested he do this. She had sized up the Hobbits who had arrived today, and thought they might be more comfortable in a less confined space. Hob chuckled to himself. ‘She can’t fool me. She doesn’t want that rowdy bunch in the Inn, so she’s given them to me to look after.’

He put the pitchfork back in its place, and brushed the hay dust from his clothes along with a few odd strands of it that had stuck here and there on him. Walking quickly back to the kitchen, he let Prim know the job was done and he’d see her tomorrow.

‘Home to my sweet Minta!’ he called back over his shoulder, smiling as he left the Inn.

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-14-2003, 06:07 PM   #199
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio had been exhausted by the time they arrived in Frogmorton. She handed ‘Falmar’s reins to the stable boy, and smiling, flipped him a shiny silver penny. ‘There will be another of those tomorrow morning if you can get all the knots and tangles from her tail and mane, and brush her ‘til she gleams.’ The boy looked up at the great horse with a questioning look, then glanced back at the Elf. ‘She will be gentle for you and attend to your instructions, little master. Just stand on a crate and she will hold still enough for you that you think you are working on a statue.’ ‘Falmar dipped her head once to the stable boy as if in agreement.

‘An Elvish horse! I’ve never had the pleasure to work on someone as grand and as pretty as you.’ ‘Falmar nickered softly and nuzzled the space between his shoulders, nearly sending him sprawling. Pio laughed and reached out a hand to steady him. ‘You do have a sweet way with words, and ‘Falmar likes to be complimented.’ She gave a few instruction to the lad on what the horse should be fed, smiling as he noted each one carefully and repeated it back to her. Pio reached her hand out to give his a shake. ‘Now that we have sealed our agreement on ‘Falmar’s care, we should know each other’s names, do you not agree?’

‘Come ‘Falmar,’ said Merimas Bolger, as the horse huffed near his shirt pocket smelling the sugar lumps he always kept as treats for his equine friends. ‘Mistress Piosenniel is expecting you to look as bright as this silver penny she gave me, and I intend to see it done.’

It was much later in the evening when Pio awoke from her nap. ‘Rose?’ she called, but there was no answer. Must have gone downstairs she thought to herself. She pulled on a clean dress and smoothed the wrinkles from it. Drawing her cape about her she went downstairs to the Common Room, pausing on the last step to look about for her companion.

The Inn was filled with local Hobbits, and Pio stood out like a sore thumb. There were a few cursory glances her away as she stepped into the room, but none that lingered. ‘Thank the stars for Hobbit politeness,’ she thought to herself. She also noted there seemed to be there no ill feelings coming her way. Just curiosity and interest and some satisfaction that there would be a good story to tell once they got home.

She nodded politely at the tables of hobbits she passed on her way back to the small table near the rear of the room where she had spied Rose. Rose sat sipping a cup of sweetspice tea and looking out the open window to the fields and gardens beyond as the westering sun threw them into shadow. ‘It’s all so civilized,’ she said as Pio approached, ‘even more so than I remembered. I do love this place, but my heart is happy where I am now.’

Pio reached out the window and plucked a wild, scarlet rose from the rambler that grew just beneath it. She placed the fragrant blossom in Rose’s curls. ‘Yes, I think where you are now would better fit your wilder, freer nature.’

A passing server was called over and Pio and Rose ordered some supper for themselves. The Elf’s back was to the door, and so she did not see the person who just entered. Rose’s eyes, though, had gone wide and she reached across the table to tug at Pio’s sleeve. ‘That is positively the tallest Hobbit I have ever seen!’

Pio pushed back the hood of her cape and turned to see who had caught her companion’s attention. She looked in the direction Rose had indicated, and gave a stifled gasp, her grey eyes meeting his . .
Old 03-14-2003, 07:10 PM   #200
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Bilbo and Frodo loitered out in the garden, but not too far from the kitchen window. Bilbo pottered about among the flowers, sometimes sniffing the blooms, and sometimes sniffing over his shoulder at the wafting aromas coming from Prim's and Cook's efforts.

"I'm learning to enjoy life at The Inn. I'm surprised I never vacationed here before, " Bilbo quipped, with sparkling eyes.

Frodo was bemused. "Food appears, sheets are changed, and we meander amidst the pleasures of the Shire without lifting a finger."

"Quite so. Look at that summer Poppy! You can see the sun gleaming through it."

"You always did like shell-pink on pale white."

"It always seemed like they should have a scent, with colors that lovely."

"Bilbo."

"Eh?"

"This afternoon, in the courtyard, amidst all the fuss..."

"Poor Cami."

"Yes, I hope she's feeling better. But Bilbo, did you have to tell the Shirriffs who we were?"

"Eh? What?"

"Couldn't you have left me anonymous?"

"Don't be absurd. As if you could pass unrecognised!"

"Bilbo, " Frodo said, with some real discomfort, "It's one thing for our friends to know that we're here. But... the whole Shire?" Frodo plucked a sprig of marjoram and absentmindedly began stripping it of its leaves. "It's hard enough on Sam just to see us. I don't want him feeling he has to defend his claim to Bag End."

"Nonsense."

"Oh, it's easy for you to say. You disappear, and the legal mess is left behind, and the suspicions and the accusations and the questions and the rumors. Meanwhile you're off having a grand time." Frodo's exhasperation grew plainer.

"You worry far, far too much, " Bilbo snorted, poking his cane at his nephew.

"So you frequently say, " his nephew retorted. "Uncle, dear, maybe someday you could try giving me less cause to worry!"

"Fiddlesticks."

"I don't want half the Shire poking about and wondering why we're back, " Frodo insisted. "I wish I could just traipse around the woods in peace and quiet, and visit all my old haunts, and leave it at that. I wish I had stayed out of everyone's hair. I wish the party had been half that size. No-- I wish it had been a quarter the size. Sometimes I wish it had been just us and Cami!"

"Not even Sam..." Bilbo turned, peering at him. "... Frodo? Not even Sam?"

"Can't you see how hard this is on him? He was finally settled, finally focused, finally devoted to his faily and his work and his Shire. And I come sailing back into his life from out of nowhere and upset it all again. He's bending over backwards to try and do right by me, but neither of us know what that is, and neither of us can relax around the other." Frodo, with the week's tension finally put in plain language, was spent by the declaration.
"Some mischief will come out of this afternoon, I fear," Frodo muttered wearily, and then he fell silent.

Bilbo poked at the snapdragons. "The pink clashes with the orange nasturtiums, " he declared with distaste, and moved on to another flower bed.

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]