Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2005, 05:49 PM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Narya Red Flows the Sirannon Planning Thread

*** FIRST POST FOR THE IN-PLAY RPG DISCUSSION THREAD IS POST #194 ***

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This planning thread is for finalizing an RPG proposal owned by Durelin.

At the present, only these people will post to this thread:
  • Durelin - game owner
  • Pio - moderator
  • Child of the 7th Age - moderator

• Alcarillo
  • Amanaduial the archer
  • Arestevana
  • Arry
  • Boromir88
  • Captainof Despair
  • Encaitare
  • Envinyatar
  • Esgallhugwen
  • Firefoot
  • Folwren
  • Garen Lilorian
  • Gwydion
  • Kath
  • Mithalwen
  • Nurumaiel
  • Orofaniel
  • Seth Cotton
  • Sleepy Ranger

----------

I'll add names as interested players have checked in with Durelin or with me.

All other comments will be deleted.

~*~ Pio, Shire Mod

Last edited by piosenniel; 08-09-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:50 PM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Working Titles for Game (and those who expressed a preference):
  • Farewell to the Elvensmiths - Aman
  • Siege of Eregion
  • Sack of Ost-in-Edhil
  • Doom of the Mírdain - Enca; Aman
  • Red Flows the Sirannon - Pio

Open for suggestions, preferences.

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-24-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:52 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Story Background:

1.) History

When the Blue Mountains broke apart and the Dwarf-city of Nogrod collapsed, Dwarves escaped to lesser dwellings, and eventually many went east to Moria, and arrived there around SA 40.

Early in the Second Age, most of the Noldor and many of the Sindar went West, establishing the new city of Avallónë on Tol Eressëa. Many of the Sindar that remained in Middle-earth went east and joined the Silvan Elves in their scattered woodland dwellings.

The Noldor moved to the land west of the Ered Luin, which had once been known as Lindon. After the Gulf of Lhûn was formed, the two portions of Lindon were named Forlindon (North Lindon), in which Gil-galad ruled; and Harlindon (South Lindon), in which Círdan ruled.

Celebrimbor moved from Lindon east into Eriador with many Noldor, reaching Eregion (Hollin), and founding Ost-in-Edhil. Close friendship grew between the Dwarves in Moria and the Noldor of Eregion until the War of the Elves and Sauron.

When Sauron established his dwelling in Mordor because of his fear of the growing power of the Númenóreans and their increasing presence in Middle-earth, he began to seek after the elves. He was refused entrance by Gil-galad into Lindon, but was received by the Elven-smiths at Eregion, where the rings of power were begun around SA 1500. Celebrimbor created the three greatest rings (Narya, Nenya, and Vilya) alone, finishing them in SA 1590. Around SA 1600, Sauron forged the Master Ring, but his deceptions were revealed and the War of the Elves and Sauron began.

Sauron invaded Eriador and attacked Eregion in SA 1695, and though Elrond was sent to aid the elves in Ost-in-Edhil, Eregion was destroyed, with Celebrimbor killed, before he reached it in 1697. The Dwarves of Khazad-dûm and the Silvan Elves of Lórinand (Lorien) aided Elrond’s forces in fending off Sauron’s forces, but they were forced to retreat, and the gates of Moria were shut.

Elrond went north, escaping with the remaining Noldor, and built Imladris. But by SA 1699, Sauron had overrun Eriador, and Rivendell (Imladris) was besieged, Sauron declaring himself “Lord of the Earth”. Númenor came to the aid of Middle-earth, a huge fleet sent by Tar-Minastir joined forces with the elves at Lindon to drive Sauron out of Eriador.

Concerning Moria: When Morgoth was thrust through the Door of Night, his few creatures that survived his destruction scattered. Among these was the only Balrog mentioned in later times: the one who escaped to Moria, and was discovered there by the dwarves in the Third Age.

2.) Geography

Eregion was located between the Glanduin and Bruinen Rivers in Southeastern Eriador to the west of the Misty Mountains near the West gate of Moria. Many holly trees grew there, its name meaning “holly-region” in Sindar. Imladris is located north and slightly east of Eregion, in a hidden valley just outside the north east corner of the Angle (the land between the Mitheithel and the Bruinen) amidst estuaries of the River Bruinen, also known as the Loudwater.

----------

MAP of game area

----------

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-23-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:53 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Important Dates

Foundation of Eregion: SA 750
Three Rings completed in Eregion: c. SA 1590
Sauron forges One Ring: c. SA 1600
War of the Elves and Sauron begins and the Three Rings are hidden: SA 1693
Eriador is invaded and Elrond is sent to Eregion: 1695 SA
Eregion is destroyed and Celebrimbor is killed, Imladris is founded: SA 1697
Sauron overruns Eriador: SA 1699
Tar-Minastir sends a great navy from Numenor to Lindon, Sauron is defeated: SA 1700
Sauron is driven out of Eriador: SA 1701
Old 06-23-2005, 05:54 PM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Basic Storyline:

Sauron has invaded Eriador, and laid siege to the city of Ost-in-Edhil, the greatest city of Eregion. The Noldor who dwelt there in friendship with the Dwarves of Khazad-dûm were forced to garrison in Ost-in-Edhil and endure the assailment with help from the Dwarves, knowing they would not be able to hold out against the forces of Sauron. Gil-galad sent Elrond with aid from Lindon, but it is a long time before they reach Eregion. The Elves of Eregion are waiting for some kind of relief from Elrond and his forces, though only so that some of their people may escape.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:55 PM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

The purpose of the story is to: Withstand Sauron’s siege upon Ost-in-Edhil until Elrond’s forces arrive.

This means we will know the story is over when: Elrond’s forces arrive and the surviving Noldor may retreat north.

Starting Location: Ost-in-Edhil
Likely Destination: Outside Ost-in-Edhil, escaping
Old 06-23-2005, 05:56 PM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Timeframes:

This game takes place in the Second Age around the year 1697.

The storyline itself or plot covers 2 weeks.

PLEASE NOTE:

This game requires a time commitment of 2 1/2 months from me, the game owner, and from the major players.

Depending upon ongoing interest in plot development, the game may extend beyond the 2 1/2 months, so that the storyline can reach a suitable conclusion, agreeable to the Owner and the other gamers.

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-25-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:58 PM   #8
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

PLAYER/CHARACTER LIST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEE PAGE 4 FOR ONGOING LIST OF GAMERS AND CHARACTERS

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-05-2005 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:21 PM   #9
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Reminder for those wanting to play one of the Elven roles:

~*~

About Elves in Shire RPG's:

Please use this description from Tolkien when crafting an Elf:

Return of the King – Appendix F: Tolkien’s description for the Quendi (The Speakers) – the name given to the Elves by themselves after they first awoke in Middle-earth.

“They were a race high and beautiful, the older Children of the world, and among them the Eldar were as Kings, who now are gone: the People of the Great Journey, the People of the Stars. They were tall, fair of skin and grey-eyed, though their locks were dark, save in the golden house of Finrod; and their voices had more melodies than any mortal voice that is now heard . . .”

Please use this as a guideline for describing your Elven character’s appearance.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:25 PM   #10
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Character Description Form:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES/NO - Which one?

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in?

List them, please:

Please note you may play in only 2 (TWO) Shire games at one time. Exceptions to this may be made for this on a case by case basis by the Shire Moderators. (The Green Dragon Inn DOES NOT count as a game for this.)

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn – YES/NO - you must have posted in the Green Dragon Inn or played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs in order to play in this game.

For your character please include:

NAME:

RACE:

WEAPONS (No magical, super-hero, mithril weapons. Just good solid Middle-earth weapons and armor only that is appropriate to the race of the character and the time period.):

APPEARANCE:

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: (No half-Elven characters. No mixed-type characters. No super-heroes. No assassins. No one all powerful, martial arts proficient, or having any magical traits. Just regular characters with normal abilities for their races only):

HISTORY:

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-27-2005 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:55 PM   #11
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe Oh Lordy, here we go again... ;)

Thank you so much, Pio, for making this all possible!

Okay, a few points to begin...

-Elves of Lorien would also be present in this story, so they need to be added to the 'Characters Needed' list

-All characters should be male, considering the situation, unless there is an applicable reason for a character to be female

-Anyone who is at all interested in being a part of this RPG, as a primary or secondary character, or even simply in a cameo role, please PM me or Pio so you may be added to the list of those allowed to post on this thread. Also, if you simply have suggestions for the RP, please PM me about them, and I can add you to the list as well.

So far, I'd like to add Encaitare, Amanduial the Archer, and CaptainofDespair as members with interest.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:34 PM   #12
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

*rubs hands together in anticipation

OK!

I've added the names of prospective players to the list of those who can post to this thread.

I've added the Elves of Lórien contingent.

Also made note that one of the Elves of Eregion can be female - but not play a warrior role. Self defense is of course acceptable.

Put in a CAMEOS section. People who want to think up a role can PM Durelin and clear it with her. (We may want to hold knowledge of the particulars of these characters from the rest of the gamers - element of surprise, and all that . . . )

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-23-2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:14 PM   #13
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

I've added Garen Lilorian as a potential Dwarf character (all depends on his ability to access the internet in the near future.

-----

Also - I've added another title for consideration:

"Red Flows the Sirannon" -

~*~ Pio
Old 06-23-2005, 10:36 PM   #14
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Here be my character

I rather like the sound of "Doom of the Mírdain" for a title, although it's Durelin's call, really. As I mentioned to Durelin via PM, I will probably not have internet access from June 25 to July 10. But since things still have to get organized and it's a 2 1/2 month game, hopefully I'll be able to fall in as soon as I return without having missed too much.

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – Yes, Sailing Away.

2.) How many RPGs on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? Zero.

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn – aye

Encaitare's character

NAME: Glûtkask, title of Boldog

RACE: Boldog -- a corrupted, lesser Maia in an orkish hröa. For info regarding this concept, check it out here or in HerenIstarion's excellent essay here. I think this race would be quite befitting of an orc captain, even though it's not an idea contained within the Sil.

WEAPONS: He wears armor of metal and leather that is in slightly better condition than that of the average orc. He carries a single-edged sword which is accompanied by an axe. On his head is a crude, spiked helm.

APPEARANCE: quite large and powerfully built. Also remarkably ugly, as orcs tend to be. He's been around for a while, so he has several noticable battle scars. Mottled skin and narrowed yellow eyes.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Think of the average orc. Actually, think of a really, above-averagely nasty orc. Got a good picture in your mind? Okay, now think of an orc worse than that. That'll be Glûtkask, roughly speaking -- ruthless, foul, and always looking out for Number One above anyone else. Among his strengths are his ability to hack off the heads and stab the guts of the Free Peoples. Although it's Sauron who is the master of their battle strategies, Glûtkask didn't get to be a captain by being stupid -- he can usually get himself and/or his garrison out of a pinch.

HISTORY: As a Maia, Glûtkask was corrupted some time in the First Age. He served Morgoth, assuming his orkish form at this time, though he went by a different name. He fled after his master's downfall, laying low until Sauron began to gain power. In accordance with Sauron's efforts to promote the Black Speech, Glûtkask took the name he now bears. Because of his history of being a faithful servant (and his excellent references, as it were ) he's garnered a fair amount of trust from Sauron. Glûtkask is not particularly interested in gaining personal power; he is relatively satisfied with his position.

+ carry-along orcs in the garrison

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note -- I'll probably include some carry-along sorts of characters, just minor orcs in the garrison to provide more dialogue and create a larger sense of things, if that's alright.

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-26-2005 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:05 PM   #15
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Good character, Encaitare!

Here's one artist's rendition of Boldog:

King Thingol fights with Boldog

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-27-2005 at 01:37 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:51 AM   #16
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Just really checking in to prove my existence...

Title-wise, I quite like either Farewell to the Elvensmiths, or Doom of the Mírdain - or, hey, maybe a mix of the two of them. Running on other ideas I've been musing on, I have sent an email to Durelin, so no doubt the sifted version may appear in my inbox or on this thread at some point, as I don't suppose Durelin would appreciate my posting it twice... And would it be alright if I grabbed the role of one of the elves of Eregion? I shall have a bio up as soon as I can...
Old 06-24-2005, 09:59 AM   #17
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Hello, I'm going to love being a part of this RP. I too would like to grab one of the Elves of Eregion roles if I may. But alas, not much time is given to me today, I have work then after I'm going with my boyfriend to his friends place to play Dungeons and Dragons, *sigh* I'm such a nerd.

But fear not I will complete a bio while I'm over there and type it up the next day.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:01 AM   #18
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Durelin

I've put down Aman and Esgallhugwen into 2 of the Eregion Elves parts.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-24-2005, 03:32 PM   #19
Gwydion
Pile O'Bones

Gwydion has just left Hobbiton.
And from the mist emerges....

Wow this is cool! Here goes:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – NO

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? 0

List them, please:

Please note you may play in only 2 (TWO) Shire games at one time. Exceptions to this may be made for this on a case by case basis by the Shire Moderators. (The Green Dragon Inn DOES NOT count as a game for this.)

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn – YES

Gwydion's character

NAME: Alethian Eriam

RACE:Elf

WEAPONS:Second Age elven-sword,dagger of the Noldor, Bow of the Galadrim, and quiver of arrows.

APPEARANCE: 5'10", dark hair, bright grey eyes, fair-skinned, lean, compact runner-like body. Uses all senses to the utmost possibility.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Far-sighted, strong, wise, small amount of arrogance.

HISTORY: Alethian has lived most of his life in Lorien and has mainly lived his life defending Lorien from the forces of evil. Tries to help all the elves and bolster all defenses, was once an aid to the Lady Galadriel, a great honor indeed and was sent to help Elrond of Imladris in the battle.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-26-2005 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:53 PM   #20
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Durelin

*images from 'Field of Dreams' drift by . . . 'If you build it, they will come . . .'

I've added Kath (Orc); Firefoot (Orc); and Gwydion (Lorien Elf) to the posters list.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-24-2005, 05:47 PM   #21
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots We're quite a few steps closer...

We're really making this happen, aren't we? *does a little dance*

Kath and Firefoot - So glad to have you aboard!

Gwydion - Welcome! Please check your PMs.

Esgallhugwen - I'm so glad you're interested in playing! And don't rush too much on your bio...I'm not doing any better than you when it comes to bios and such...in fact, most likely I'm doing worse.

Encaitare - Oooh, yes, wonderful character! Thanks so much for stopping by!

Pio - "Red Flows the Sirannon"...I like it... You almost gave into the temptation, didn't you?

As a note, CaptainofDespair will be playing a cameo role as a big baddie, that will for now be known as 'Sauron's Champion'...lame title, but it's practical.

Aman - Finally responded to your lovely email, and, in so doing, I came up with a lot more ideas.

Speaking of these ideas...I will be editing this post ASAP, to add as many of them as I can as clearly as I can.

-Durelin
Old 06-24-2005, 05:51 PM   #22
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Yes, I almost put up "Blood on the Waters" as a possible title, but then managed to rein myself in.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-24-2005, 06:34 PM   #23
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hey all, I'm really excited about this game. I'm looking forward to playing with all of you.

It's interesting, actually. I've been thinking lately that an Orc might be fun to play, and this game comes along. So especial greetings to Encai and Kath, my fellow Orcs.

I'll be working on my bio here soon, as soon as I can come up with a good Orc name (it's always the names. I never get better at coming up with those).
Old 06-24-2005, 06:39 PM   #24
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Pipe Deep in thought, digging through a very muddled and cluttered brain...

I decided to make this a separate post, as these thoughts became relatively lengthy very quickly... And this ain't the half of it!

Here are some points I came up with:

Concerning the basic outline of the game:
If the siege on Ost-in-Edhil began late in 1696, then early in 1697 it would be destroyed after just a couple weeks, and then Elrond's forces would arrive. But, events prior to the actual siege, and prior to Sauron's invasion of Eriador are very important. Aman brought to my attention the importance of the actual forging of the Rings to the storyline/plot of the game. If we begin the game with the actual forging of the Rings and then skip to the actual attack on Eregion, I think many more opportunities will be open, and the story this game will tell will be more effective.

This might be a little tricky, but I think rather than spending some time with the events that led up to Sauron's invasion into Eriador will make the events concerning the actual siege easier to understand, and thus easier to RP. The background of an event such as the battle at Eregion (and the escape to Imladris) is really what makes the event, and thus it is important to explore that as well.

Starting with the forging of the Rings, most likely through a first post describing the actual forging and setting the stage (with the elves of Eregion, in particular), would be an excellent starting point, I think. It would let everyone get a basis for just what kind of power is being created in the world...and then shortly thereafter, a great power of evil is created. And of course that would give us time to do some lovely character interaction between the Elves of Eregion and the Dwarves of Moria...as friendliness between Dwarves and Elves, I believe, is an interesting concept.

As to how the siege itself will unfold, particularly in the arrival of Elrond and the *escape* of the survivors, there's a lot yet to work out, and I've come up with several options. I'll try to describe those options in detail in my next post.

Concerning Celebrimbor (and Elrond...and a few other things):

Celebrimbor is going to be a very important character in the plot of the RPG. I've been going from the point of view that Sauron's attack on Eregion is a form of punishment - he wishes to punish the Elves for *deceiving* him, particularly Celebrimbor, as he hides the Three Rings, the greatest of the Rings of Power, from Sauron after discovering Sauron's deception. Sauron has just created the Master Ring, and that will also be an important part of the story, as Sauron is a new power in this scenario...and at this point, he's winning! This is another reason why the forging of the rings is such an important event. It gives Celebrimbor's character relevance (again, as Aman pointed out), rather than him simply starting out in the RPG as simply some elf who, basically, made Sauron angry.

Now, for the options...Characters such as Celebrimbor and Elrond, historical characters who are important in this RPG, could be what I like to call 'universal carry-alongs'. Basically, they are NPCs. And, they will be available (as established characters in Tolkien's histories of Middle-earth) basically, to be *RPed* by everyone. Gamers' characters will interact with Celebrimbor and Elrond, and they can be like carry along characters that everyone may *use*.

The other option of course, is for Celebrimbor and Elrond to be characters that two gamers play, either has primary or secondary characters. This might be a little intrusive on Tolkien's writings, as these two characters are so historically important in Middle-earth. But, if done correctly, this might be a good way to go.

Concerning the first post of the game:

The first post of the game will have to be a big stage setter. It is possible that the entire stage could be set: the forging of the Rings and all events prior to the siege of Eregion could be covered in the first post (and then we’d just plunge into the siege). I'd prefer it if the first post simply covered the forging of the Rings, and set only a basic platform rather than an entire stage. The first post could tell of Eregion, of how Sauron came to the Elves, and then of Celebrimbor and the forging of the Rings. What would follow would be an opportunity for gamers to set their own stages, so to speak. Each gamer would establish who their character is, and collectively get to establish what it is like to have the new power of the Rings in their world, what this means for each of their characters and for each of their characters' people, etc.

All of this talk makes me realize one very important thing…this game, if many of the things I discussed become realities in this, most likely is going to take more time than I originally predicted, and thus more commitment. I don’t want to ask that of people unless they really want to commit so much of their time, as that is unfair, but I present all of my ideas to you as options.

Hopefully my next post will be clearer, more direct…and just more productive.

~To be continued~

-Durelin

P.S. - Right now, my plan for the bad guys is the most clear! You go, orcses.../Maiar

EDIT: Oh, and Pio...

Quote:
1.) CaptainofDespair - Sauron's Champion; big baddie
Hehe...I love when people take me seriously.

Last edited by Durelin; 06-24-2005 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:12 PM   #25
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

If you are interested in the game, please PM me & let me know what character type you'd like to play.

I'll add your name to the list of posters for the thread, then.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio, Game Moderator

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-29-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:00 PM   #26
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hi, Firefoot, nice to be RPing with you again. And I look forward to a fun game with you all!

Durelin, that sounds like a cool way to start off the game!
Old 06-24-2005, 08:02 PM   #27
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Durelin

Arestevana will be PM'ing you to get some ideas about being a CAMEO.

I've put her on the list to post to this thread.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-25-2005, 09:15 AM   #28
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
A Shadow in the Mist

It has been many moons since I have wandered the Downs. Like a shadow in the mist I come and go, vanishing, yet always there. Perhaps this will rein in this particular shadow, and give him a new body with which to walk amongst men...

Perhaps...

------------

*snickers*

I slay myself. I'm too amusing for my own good. I'm sure "Durelin" can testify to that.

Anywho, this RP seems very nice, and I'm sure "Durelin" will do a wonderful job. She is such a creative, brilliant...umm...I'll stop before I rant.

I see my cameo role was accepted. Pio, do I need to submit a Character Description form? And if so, should I place it here, in a PM, or...?
Old 06-25-2005, 09:31 AM   #29
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

CoD

hmmmm . . . why don't you send it in a PM to me. Keep the element of surprise intact.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-25-2005, 04:23 PM   #30
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

The Eye Just popping in, trying to keep my eye on things...

Wonderful, wonderful wonderful... I'll be PMing Arestevana, as well as others, shortly...

CaptainofDespair - Yes, please remain as mysterious as possible for now. And really I'm just talking about in relation to your role in the game. Otherwise, you can just lay off the shadow and the mist...

Oh, about this...

Quote:
As to how the siege itself will unfold, particularly in the arrival of Elrond and the *escape* of the survivors, there's a lot yet to work out, and I've come up with several options. I'll try to describe those options in detail in my next post.
Well, I'm afraid I lied. Information concerning the details of how the siege will end and such will be withheld until further notice. In other words, until we get there in the game. I may be in contact with some gamers concerning this, but they will be asked to keep things confidential and all that.

Pio - Will it be possible to try and negotiate with you and Child concerning how long this RPG will take, both in game time and *real life* time?
Old 06-25-2005, 04:35 PM   #31
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Pio - Will it be possible to try and negotiate with you and Child concerning how long this RPG will take, both in game time and *real life* time?
Check your PM's, please (in a moment).

~*~ Pio
Old 06-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #32
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
All of this talk makes me realize one very important thing…this game, if many of the things I discussed become realities in this, most likely is going to take more time than I originally predicted, and thus more commitment. I don’t want to ask that of people unless they really want to commit so much of their time
Nonsense. As much time as you like from this corner, darlin', so long as you can put up with me.

Ok, I had plans basically to carry on what you started from the PM/email discussion Durelin and I had, as I'd like to enhance a few ideas, add a few new ones and just lay them all out, as a chance for everyone to see and comment, but not sure how far I'm gonna get on this because it's kinda late and I have church tomorrow. But then, never having been one to shy away from a bad idea...

I agree, Durelin - it's probably better that Elrond and Celebrimbor are NPCs - too much historical weightiness, major Tolkien characters, etc etc etc. However, they are important characters, and so the possibility is opened up that, instead of directly playing the characters themselves, players could take the roles of fictional characters close to the characters - friends, advisors etc - so several different players get the chance to carry-along and, to an extent, 'play' Celebrimbor and Elrond - for example, as Durelin said, a few of the elves could be part of Celebrimbor's. It means he becomes an active part of the game, and therefore his importance is emphasised.

Also along the lines of emphasising Celebrimbor's importance and the importance of the Elven ringsespecially - bearing in mind the whole game is based on him, this is probably going to be a rather important device in the game (I'm sorry if that's the wrong word for it, I'm rather tired, not that that's an excuse particularly). So onto how to do this: the idea of 'setting the scene' so to speak that Durelin mentioned is one that I like. An idea would be to have an introduction style passage about the forging of the rings, and then skip to the buildup to the invasion of Eregion, beginning (?) with the hiding of the rings - you know, go for the whole darkness and mystery as a start, it could be a rather intriguing start. And then build up to the invasion and then so on. It would just get us off to a rather flying start and make the RPG altogether a bit different. Thoughts? (And Durelin, I love the way you phrased that - "rather than him simply starting out in the RPG as simply some elf who, basically, made Sauron angry." )

However, I would say that we should probably get to the seige fairly sharpish after the initial, I don't know, call it the 'introductory period' of the ring-forging and the character responses to it (like that idea very much btw, Durelin) - the seige is really going to be the main beef of the game, it would seem, so the two options would be to have it as a real climax or to have it as the main bulk of the whole game - so that depends really on how long we spend on how long is spent on the introductory period. I would favour having a relatively short introductory period, so that the action is fairly quickly reached. But it does really allow us to be more exploratory plot-wise, and so I think it would be very important - so hey, extending it is no bad thing. What do you think?

However...during the seige period, the seige will probably not be the only thing going on - how about two or maybe more stories going on at once? Elrond's elves and the elves of Eriador could both be played seperately but at once. This idea of having two or more lines going on at once in one RPG has possible advantages and, of course, possible risks, but on the positive side, it means that when Elrond's elves finally do arrive at Eriador, it reaches a real climax in the game because all the characters suddenly come together - this could work very well. Having two games means having more characters, of course, and this could affect the length of the game again, which may be a problem for some people...

Another pointer on characters which I kinda ran past Durelin - the idea of having other 'perspectives' i.e. other than soldiers. This is a city: so maybe we could have other roles being played, such as a female elf/elves and/or a younger/non-fighting character. It just opens up to give more variety to the game by introducing someone who is not directly fighting but who is, of course, directly affected by it.

Um. Yes. Anyway. I feel my sense-making...thing...brain! Yes, that's it! I feel that my brain is having issues processing in any sensible fashion any more with such lo-ong paragraphs, so I shall sign off. All feedback on aforementioned ideas is...good...

Oh, and Durelin - about telling me to stop apologising...it's a RL habit that kinda seeps into the Internet as well. It's kinda an inferiority complex, mainly borne of being inferior. Which is, you know, fun. *shrugs*
Old 06-25-2005, 05:27 PM   #33
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Ring Using the sense-making thing... ;)

Aman - You just summed up so many things I was trying to say in a much clearer and more concise way...I owe you.

And yes, dwelling too long on all the setting up, as much wonder and mystery as there will be to have fun with, would be a mistake. I'd love to take at least some time, though, while still keeping the siege as a very large climax.

Quote:
how about two or maybe more stories going on at once? Elrond's elves and the elves of Eriador could both be played seperately but at once.
I really think that would be an excellent way to go. I've really enjoyed RPGs that go that way, as you know. And, as you suggested before, Aman, the Lindon Elves could really start right into the story as their own little *plotline*. Early on, I'd expect Gil-galad and Círdan would call a Council, in which the characters from Lindon (and of course Elrond) could participate, if they choose to go in this direction. This Council would be concerned with the matter of hiding the Three Rings, and the rise of Sauron and the threat he is to Eriador, particularly the Elven region of Eregion. One of the decisions it would make would be to send Elrond to Ost-in-Edhil. From here, the Lindon Elves would be a separate group making their way to the city, in haste.

Quote:
Another pointer on characters which I kinda ran past Durelin - the idea of having other 'perspectives' i.e. other than soldiers. This is a city: so maybe we could have other roles being played, such as a female elf/elves and/or a younger/non-fighting character. It just opens up to give more variety to the game by introducing someone who is not directly fighting but who is, of course, directly affected by it.
That's what I forgot to talk about! *smacks herself* I loved this idea, and I want to make this a proposition: how about the addition of a couple more Elves of Eregion as more 'secondary characters', and as non-fighters? I hope this might open up more interest for those gamers who would prefer playing a female role or a non-fighter as opposed to a warrior.

Quote:
Oh, and Durelin - about telling me to stop apologising...it's a RL habit that kinda seeps into the Internet as well. It's kinda an inferiority complex, mainly borne of being inferior. Which is, you know, fun. *shrugs*
Hehe... Well, don't worry, I have the same problem much of the time. It's just when I'm posting that I put on my *business hat* and pump myself up for sounding a little less inferior than perhaps I should, just so I can sound like I know what I'm talking about.

And, as Aman said: responses to all ideas, suggestions, and any other ideas anyone might have...we encourage very much that these be voiced.

-Durelin
Old 06-25-2005, 05:44 PM   #34
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Quote:
And, as you suggested before, Aman, the Lindon Elves could really start right into the story as their own little *plotline*. Early on, I'd expect Gil-galad and Círdan would call a Council, in which the characters from Lindon (and of course Elrond) could participate, if they choose to go in this direction. This Council would be concerned with the matter of hiding the Three Rings, and the rise of Sauron and the threat he is to Eriador, particularly the Elven region of Eregion. One of the decisions it would make would be to send Elrond to Ost-in-Edhil. From here, the Lindon Elves would be a separate group making their way to the city, in haste.
This would be interesting and doable IF there is a strong writer on the Lindon Elves team. Do you have one in mind that you could recruit, cajole, bribe?

~*~

Quote:
. . . how about the addition of a couple more Elves of Eregion as more 'secondary characters', and as non-fighters? I hope this might open up more interest for those gamers who would prefer playing a female role or a non-fighter as opposed to a warrior.
I'll put up a couple more Eregion slots designating them as "female character preferred". Let's just call them "characters" without the designation of "secondary" . . . I've found that unless players are just waiting to do a CAMEO, they tend to just fall away from the game if you don't keep them engaged.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:06 AM   #35
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Here's my Dwarf.

I've done his history starting at the point of the attack leading to the destruction of Eregion. But he can, of course, chime in for the earlier period you thought you might open the game with - I tried to cover it all in his History section.

I also made it easy for the Elves from Lorien to get quickly from the eastside of the mountain range where Lorien is to the west side where Eregion lies. I read in Tolkien's Unfinished Tales and Peoples of Middle-earth (part of Histories of Middle-earth) about Galadriel's feelings toward the Dwarves of Khazad-dum, which were positive, versus Celeborn's feelings which were quite negative.

Pio’s character

NAME: Riv Stonecut

AGE: 109 (born 2 years before the Three Rings were made by the Elven smiths)

RACE: Dwarf – one of Durin’s Folk/Longbeard clan

WEAPONS: mattock; war hammer – thick oaken haft bearing a heavy iron head, sharply beaked blade on one side and a flat, faceted hammer head opposite. For battles in larger, more open spaces, he bears an oak hafted pole axe with a razor sharp edged steel head. Iron helm; long chain mail; thick boiled leather vest; plated arm and leg guards.

APPEARANCE: 5’2”; 160 lbs. Muscular; broad and solidly built. Thick, brown hair worn in a single plait down his back. thick, wiry beard, worn in two braids on either side of his chin. Black breeches, grey tunic, dark brown leather vest with all sorts of pockets for small jewelers tools. Black leather knee high boots, well worn, thick soled. Granite grey, hooded cape; on its left shoulder is a bright silver brooch – a small pick axe with a deep red wine colored garnet set between its two blades. It was a gift from one of the Elven smiths for the precious stones and metals Riv’s family mined for him.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Patient, meticulous in his work – he is an excellent smith; working both with large stones for the building of things and with smaller precious and semiprecious gems for use in adornment. He is skilled in metalworking, though his taste runs to those small castings within which he can set his jewels. Does not like change – it’s too disruptive to his need for long periods of time for his work.

Loyal to his family and kin; loyal to the Elves of the Gwaith-i-Mirdain with whom he’s had the opportunity to work and share smithing skills.

Not quick to anger; but when the fires of anger are lit at last, they burn hot within him. He can be a bloodthirsty and avenger of wrongs against kin and friend. He despises Orcs for slaying Dwarves and taking their possessions and homes. Even in battle, he is a patient man, looking always for the most thrifty way to eliminate the foe.

His main weakness is his need to protect his immediate family. At the age of 98, he was fortunate enough to be married. He counts his wife, Unna, more precious than any metal or jewel he can mine. And more precious still is his son, Leifr, 5 years old.

HISTORY: (At present it is II 1695) Riv was born in Khazad-dûm, which was then under the Kingship of Durin II and is now ruled by Durin III. His father is Viss Stonecut; mother, Svala Bronzeeyes. He learned the art and craft of mining stone and metal from his father, whose main business was the mining and selling of metal ore to smiths of the Elves and Men. From his grandfather, Aunn Stonecut, Riv learned the skills for discovering veins of precious gems, cutting them into the shapes which best showed off their faceted beauty, and the setting of the gems into gold and silver. He has since increased his knowledge of this process through his friendships with some of the Elven jewelsmiths in Eregion.

He has a younger sibling, a brother, Skald, five years younger than he. His favored skill is that of working with large blocks of stone for building, and the engraving of such stones with runes. His youngest brother is Bror, who is 64 years old.

In II 1693 Sauron was bent on obtaining for his own use the sixteen Rings of Power he had helped the Elves of Eregion to make. He declared war on the Elves who would not relinquish to him the Three Rings of Power they had made in secret without his aid.

Until that time, it was for the most part peaceful. the Elven jewelsmiths in Eregion prospered and increased their skills many times over. But when they refused Sauron’s requests for the Three Rings, a great shadow crept over the land, even to the West-gate of Moria. Orcs and other foul creatures were set against the Elves at Ost-in-Edhil, the chief city of Eregion where the House of the Mirdain stood. Sauron revealed himself, his fair face he had shown to the Elves as Annatar was now one of darkness and wrath. He was bent on destroying the Elves and whoever stood in his way as he pursued the three hidden rings.

Durin III was the first of the Dwarven rulers to receive one of the seven rings Sauron had helped forge. Celebrimbor, it was said by the Dwarves of Moria, had gifted their King with the ring just prior to Sauron’s demands for the Seven Rings made for the Dwarves and the Nine made for Men.

Fearing for the life of his son, who was but one year old at the start of the war, and for his wife who is now pregnant with their second child, Riv has geared himself up for war. The chain mail and plated guards for the limbs were taken down and cleaned and mended. His mattock he’s laid aside to use only if the Orc armies enter Moria. The edges of his war hammer and pole axe have been made keen. Unna and Leifr have been made safe in the deeper, secret caverns of Moria, along with the other women and children.

He and his brothers, Skald and Bror, are part of a small armed party of Dwarves, one of many, who harry the Orcs with their strike-kill-and-run tactics. At times, too, they are sent to the eastern entrance to Moria. There they lead small troops of Elven warriors from Lothlorien on the quick route through the mountains. These Lorinand have been sent by the Lady of the Golden Wood to aid the Elves of Eregion. She is favorable to the Dwarves, knowing that they were not of the kin who slew Thingol in his own treasury when he would not give them the Nauglamir. Celeborn, however, bears them great enmity, holding all dwarves responsible for the death of his father’s uncle.

Piosenniel's post:

. . . The world was fair, the mountains tall,
In Elder Days before the fall
Of mighty kings in Nargothrond
And Gondolin, who now beyond
The Western Seas have passed away:
The world was fair in Durin's Day . . .

Supper, taken late as was the Stonecut custom, was done. The trenchers, already carried to the kitchen, clanked together in the soapy water as Unna washed and rinsed them, and piled them on the counter to her left to dry. Her back was to the oaken table across the length of the stone floor. And she smiled as she heard the off-key bass of her husband’s singing voice rise up to sing a verse of the song.

‘Fairer yet,’ she chuckled as she took up her dishtowel and dried the spoons, ‘if the notes in this part of Khazad-dûm were more harmonious!’

‘I heard that, woman!’ cried Riv, breaking off mid note. His scowl was short-lived as she laughed aloud, her voice ringing within the tall-ceilinged room.

‘Well, I think you have a nice voice, Papi,’ chirped Leifr, coming to sit on his father’s lap. He twirled his fingers round Riv’s braided beard, leaning against him with a contented sigh. ‘Grandma says you sing just like your father did.’

Riv’s chest puffed out at the compliment and was promptly deflated by Unna’s laughter as she recalled to him that the old woman had also said she was certain that Durin was called ‘the Deathless’ because her husband’s bellowed verses could raise the dead from their thick stone tombs.

An hour or so more of friendly, familiar banter, accompanied by the sound of Bror’s harp and interspersed with more singing, came finally to its end. Leifr was yawning by then, barely able to keep his eyes open. Riv picked up the boy where he lay half drowsing on a bear pelt near the fire and carried him off to the deeper caverns where Unna and the other Dwarven women with their children stayed.

The lamps were turned low along the hallways; the lamp swinging from Unna’s hand as she walked beside her husband cast odd moving shadows along the carven stone walls. Her face was wistful as they reached her apartments. Laying Leifr down gently on his little bed, Riv drew the quilts up over his son’s shoulders and brushed a stray hair back from his little face. ‘Mahal keep you!’ he whispered to the sleeping form. He stood then, and took his wife gently into his arms. ‘When this is over . . .’ he said softly, his cheek against the top of her head. She pulled back and laid her first two fingers against his lips. Her glittering eyes held hope and patience within their deep, dark pools. ‘We will wait,’ she promised him, ‘whether the time be short or long.’

She urged him gently toward the door. ‘You must go. Your brothers and Uncle await. There is news to be shared among you. Reports and rumors of goings on in the upper caverns come to us. We know a messenger has come from the Elven smiths. And that an escort is needed for the Elves who will come from the east, sent by the Lady of the Golden Wood. Since your father was often among the Lorinand, bringing them jewels and metals as they needed, I thought that surely you and your brothers would be the ones to fetch them from the Dimrill Stair and bring them through the East-gate.’

He nodded it was so. Smothering her with a last great hug, he turned reluctantly from her and made his way back to his dwelling. Skald and Bror were waiting at the table where he had left them. Their voices were low as they sipped at their mugs of ale, discussing, he was sure, the preparations for the thirty mile journey to the East-gate and the wait for the Elves of Lorien. Orin, their Uncle, had arrived, too, he saw.

‘Well, what have I missed?’ Riv said, fetching a mug for himself from the cupboard. He topped off theirs and filled his from the skin of ale that hung from the peg on the wall. ‘We’re taking a full complement of weapons . . . yes? No telling how long it might take the Elves to make their way down the Stairs and cross the valley. Or what might try to follow them.’ He took a deep drink from his cup. ‘There have been reports of Orcs sniffing about the Kheled-zaram. Or so I heard.’ He banged the metal mug down on the table’s top, a little ale foam splashing over the side. ‘Love to set my mattock in a few of their skulls and pick out what passes for brains among the filthy creatures . . .’

Last edited by piosenniel; 09-01-2005 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:10 AM   #36
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel
CoD

hmmmm . . . why don't you send it in a PM to me. Keep the element of surprise intact.

~*~ Pio
It will be delivered to you within a timespan of no less than...soon, but not later.

In other words, sometime this week, before I forget.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:12 AM   #37
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Narya

Pio - I'm still in the process of *digging up* some players, so hopefully, I will have a strong player who can take a fairly active role as a Lindon Elf soon.

And, of course...absolutely beautiful bio.

Please add Nurumaiel to the list of people that may post on this thread, as I'll be working with her concerning what kind of character she'll be playing as soon as possible. Thanks.

And the last piece of business for now is that I'm still waiting to hear back from Gwydion...

Now, to get working on that bio and first post... I meant to do that yesterday, but I ended up being at my grandmother's all day. Excuses, excuses, I know.

-Durelin
Old 06-26-2005, 10:33 AM   #38
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Leaving this post in simply as a post space holder.

Carry on!

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-27-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:31 PM   #39
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Here's my character bio; I've included a carry-along to be my character's companion.

~*~*~*~

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES - Which ones? Bloodstained Elanor, Seekers of Truth, Siege of Gundabad, Sailing Away

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? Two

List them, please: Island of Sorrow, Shadow of the West

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn – YES

Firefoot's character

NAME: Grimkul

AGE: He’s not really sure – all years tend to run together in dark tunnels under the mountains - nor does he care. But even if he did care, it wouldn’t matter much since he can’t count much higher than 20.

RACE: Orc

WEAPONS: Grimkul’s favorite weapon is a long, slightly curved scimitar which he hasn’t ever cleaned, more out of laziness than any other reason, though he does pride himself on the different kinds of blood the sword bears: Elf, Dwarf, Man, Orc, rat (and other rodent), fish, bat, and once he was even lucky enough to spear a bird. He has a wooden bow, on which is scratched all kinds of crude symbols and marks; his arrows are fletched in black feathers. He also has a short dagger and a heavy wooden cudgel, useful for bashing in heads and squashing things.

APPEARANCE: Grimkul is of a smaller mountain race, though he is rather large for that, with comparatively broad, albeit hunched, shoulders and tough wiry muscles. He is bowlegged. He has dark, splotchy skin, and what sparse hair he does have is coarse and black. His yellow eyes are accustomed to the dark and bulge out of his misshapen skull. His teeth are yellow and crooked, and not a few are missing; his fingernails are similarly yellowed and tough. His only armor is a chain mail coat, over which he wears dark breeches and a jerkin made mostly of bats’ wings crudely sown together.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Grimkul is not very intelligent and, if confused, is more likely to kill the source of confusion than try to sort the information out. The notable exception is his more intelligent companion Ulwakh; their relationship being a mutually beneficial “brains/brawn” type. Grimkul tends not to back down from a fight even when his chances at winning are considerably slim, whether because he is too stupid to realize this or doesn’t care is undecided. Luckily he is larger, stronger, and more skilled in weapon use than most of his kind. He dislikes being among the legions of Sauron’s army and would prefer to go back to the mountain tunnels in the Misty Mountains. Nor does he bear any love toward his commanders (who are generally bigger than he is), and, largely at Ulwakh’s bidding, avoids their notice whenever possible.

HISTORY: Grimkul was born in the Orc tunnels of the Misty Mountains and has spent most of his life there. This part of his life was basically uneventful: he survived off the creatures sharing the tunnels with him, fought in some small battles between Orc clans, and sometimes ventured out of the mountains in small raiding parties (always at night) to harry any living things unfortunate enough to be in the area. Several years back, however, he was part of a raiding party that had gone farther than usual from their mountain tunnels and had a run-in with a small force of Sauron’s. Those that survived (including Grimkul and Ulwakh) were driven to Mordor and integrated into Sauron’s army.

~*~*~*~

Carry-along character – Grimkul’s companion Ulwakh.

NAME: Ulwakh

AGE: About the same as Grimkul, though he could probably give a more precise answer, as he understands numbers and such better – he could probably count to 50, and if he thought about it would be able to tell you that they were at least that old.

RACE: Orc

WEAPONS: Ulwakh’s first two weapons, a scimitar and bow, are similar to Grimkul’s. His favorite weapons, however, are a variety of crooked knives with jagged edges, no two alike. These are useful for throwing, stabbing, cutting, and other more ordinary purposes (e.g. cooking, should he ever care to cook), but more interesting to him are the different ways each can provide pain. Ulwakh does not enjoy killing and fighting so much, but he finds giving pain fascinating, and his knives are useful for this.

APPEARANCE: Similar to Grimkul in complexion, though little else. He is much smaller and less strong, and his arms and legs are proportionately longer. His skull is rounder; his eyes are deeper set and an almost luminescent green color. His garments are also similar to Grimkul, except he is far less choosy in the materials for his jerkin and he wears a helmet as an extra piece of armor.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Ulwakh is quite intelligent and cunning (for an Orc, that is). He is quick and agile, though not particularly strong or prone to fight. He prefers to flee rather than fight, though he can ably defend himself (or Grimkul can defend him; it’s all the same to Ulwakh). He takes a perverse delight in giving pain, and while his subjects are usually small animals that he catches, he prefers such rarer subjects as Elves and Dwarves when he has had the fortune of a captive. Ulwakh has no desire of personal power, as he generally sees leadership roles as a good way to get killed (by followers), and in further self-preservation he draws as little attention to himself as possible.

HISTORY: About the same as Grimkul.

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-26-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:24 AM   #40
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Anyone noting an "edited by piosenniel" on their post - I'm just setting up the Bios for transfer to what will be the game's discussion thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do we have some sort of consensus from the players or preference by Durelin for the name of the RPG?

~*~ Pio