Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2004, 09:52 AM   #81
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Question

Braedon brought up the rear of the group, he pulled the reins of his horse to slow it down and then slackened them. Hama seemed to be taking his injury well, however it was obvious it was all for show, a wound like that would cause great pain. Greater pain than Hama was showing. Braedon knew that he was doing this for Sandrina, to stop her worrying. She had taken to comforting him and rewarding his courage with words of praise.

Braedon moved his hand to his own injury , it had been bandaged and was the least of his worries at the moment. But its sting reminded him grimly of the danger that the could, or were heading into. He sighed and watched as Haven’s horse moved in front of him, and then he glanced ahead to where Hama and Sandrina were leading the group. Raen was momentarily looking at the ground before him.

Braedon cast his eyes down too. Tracks! He stopped his horse and dismounted, crouching down to the floor, he ran his over the vague tracks of horses. They couldn’t have passed but a few hours ago, and there! Heading away from the estate, he moved along the tacks a bit. Haven had also dismounted and came over to join the Ranger.

“What is it?” She asked, looking down to the ground where Braedon was tracing his hand over.

“Tracks…” he mumbled.

“Is it them?” She asked, crouching down beside him, looking awkwardly at the indistinguishable mud and tracks.

“I am sure of it… Look,” he said pointing , “going from the estate. It has to be. Who else would be here? We have seen no one for miles.”

The two mounted again, the group unaware of their stop. Braedon rode up beside Raen, and Anora who had now joined him.

“You have see the…”

“..tracks, yes. I have.” Raen replied quietly. Braedon paused for a moment and with his better judgement he decided not to question Raen.

“We must inform Hama, he has obviously not see them.” Braedon waited for Raen to reply.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:47 AM   #82
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
Sandrina's eyes scanned everywhere as she rode onward. That's when she saw them. Tracks leading away from the estate. She glared at the dirt. Her uncle or her cousins or both had figured what she would do. They would be after her parents now. There was no way she was not going to fight for them. She spun her horse around and bolted through the trees.

"Keep up or you'll be left behind!" Sandrina called to her company, a rage filling her. She knew exactly what her horrible extended family was to do. She was sure that they would try to use them as bait or something. They would probably even kill her parents, but as long as she was breathing she vowed that they would not die. No one on this day would die. No one that is except for her uncle and cousins. They would die.

She planned in her mind just what she would do. She knew that it was foolish to barge in through the front door. No, they would be expecting that. She had to do something that they never would believe that she would do.

They always believed that she was foolish. They always treated her like she was stupid just because of her gender. She hadn't proceeded in this quest quite like she should have and she knew that. But her parent's lives hung in the balance. It didn't matter what happened to her. The only thing that mattered was whether or not her parents lived and brought them to justice.

They would never expect her to come slinking through the backdoor. If there was a back door. She rode onward until she reached the house, but Hama was already smashing through the door. She raced her horse around the back, flung herself off, and crashed through the door with Anora at her side.

That's when she saw her parents and the rest of her forgotten memories came flooding back to her. Anger at having been missing, lost, hurt, hungry, and numerous other things flooded her mind. She cut her father's bindings and smiled.

"Do what must be done father. I will be here when you are done," Sandrina said, smiling. His eyes looked over at her in disbelief.

"I promise that I will my darling daughter. For you and your mother," Henry replied. She handed him the sword from her belt.

"Here you shall need this." Henry nodded, took it and hurried forward towards his brother.

The battle raged on, but Sandrina didn't care. She hurried over to her mother and undid her bindings as well and helped her to sit up. They sat together and watched. Then her father killed Harold, getting rid of the evil once and for all.

Last edited by Crystal Heart; 10-13-2004 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:04 PM   #83
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Raen listened to Braedon and Anora with disguised disinterest. Yes, of course I saw the tracks. And no, we don't need to say anything to Hama. Knowing that it would be quite foolish to say anything of the sort, he decided to merely agree - for it was the widely accepted and prudent route. "Yes, no doubt Hama has not seen them. Let us inform him of the fact." The obvious cold nature of his words suprised him, but then Sandrina called to them, and all else was forgotten.

"We'd better hurry, can't let Sandrina get all of them before we arrive," he said, but the humor was lost even on himself. The party was tired, hungry, and dour to say the least. They turned and followed the woman, hoping that she was not running straight into a trap.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:23 PM   #84
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
Hama rode up front, the pain in his back still lancing now and again. He noticed the tracks on the ground but dissmissed them, after all, in the realm of the horse lords, what are a set of hoof marks? He slowed his horse to a trot and looked at the tracks more closesly, more out of latent curiosity than anything. Many were incomplete, but in one he saw the steel casting of the lightheart family crest. His heart froze. Looking in the direction of the tracks, he mentally conjured an image of the area, and traced the path...it lead to, "Eowyn...Henry!" Hama said, audibly. "Crap!" He spurred his horse into a gallop, it reared up and snorted before beginning its run. Raen and Braedon looked round with astonishment. Sandrina saw it with fear, fear of what Hama was going to do. "Hama!" she shouted after him, but he ignored her. Damnit, Eowyn and Henry were some of his oldest friends, and damn the lot of them to Melkor if he was going to let them suffer a moment longer than they had to.

He looked back after about ten minutes, Sandrina and the rest were in hot pursuit, but his horse was one of the finest in Rohan outside of the Maeras. Its speed was nigh on unmatchable, and while it calmly galloped, the others were having to push their horses to the limit to painfully gain on him inch by inch. Hama knew he could have lost them if he wanted to, but he didn't. He wanted to keep them within sight, in case anything happened to Sandrina. Slowly Henry's cabin rose above the horizon, and slowly two figures came into sight at the door. One, Hama could tell, was Henry. The other...well it looekd a bit like Harold, but it was too far away to be sure. He saw Henry pushed inside the house, his hands bound and his fury increased. Whoever this was, they'd pay for it...they wouldn't get away with it...He kicked his horse's flanks harder and it reached a full gallop, the others behind became smaller and smaller as Hama's horse threw itself forwards with all its strength. Reaching the door to the cabin Hama leapt from the saddle and landed heavily outside the door.

Drawing his sword he braced himself and lashed his foot at the door with all his might. It flew inwards several feet before clattering to the ground. Harold was standing over Henry's form, pushing him into a trunk. Eowyn was being held by Samuel and Arthur, Hama noticed that her arms and legs had been bound, and her clothing was tattered, unusual for her...and certainly not of her chosing. Harold looked round at the door when it flew inwards, a sick smile growing in his face as he slammed the lid on Henry. Samuel and Arthur looked very scared all of a sudden, as if a fully grown Hama Haukrsonn, Royal Guard to King Eomer, bursting through the door hadn't been what they had in mind for this operation. Samuel's lower lip was trembling slightly and he flinched as he saw the uncontrolable fury of Hama's face as he raised it to look at them. Arthur took a step or two backwards, letting Eowyn drop face first onto the floor. Seeing this, and hearing Eowyn's cry as her head hit the ground, Hama pushed Harold from his mind, along with his wound, and lunged with his sword at Arthur...
Old 10-12-2004, 06:33 PM   #85
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Harold glanced up, startled, as the door crashed inward. A man, one Harold vaguely recognized, strode through the door with a sword in hand. Eowyn was dropped by Arthur, who also drew his sword. For the moment, Harold shoved Henry into the closet and shut the door. He readied his sword, knowing this man couldn’t be the only one coming. He was proven right almost immediately when three women pushed through the door, one of them Sandrina. She met Harold’s gaze boldly, hate mirrored in her eyes.

“Time for you to die,” said Harold. He lunged for her with his sword, and his blade crashed on that of the woman standing to Sandrina’s right. He did not waste time to glare at her.

“It is not I who will die today,” said Sandrina. Harold supposed she was trying to sound noble. “It is you.” She too drew her sword, and Harold found himself faced by the three armed women.

“Not until you do,” replied Harold, and with that he made another move that began the continuous dipping and twisting that made up the special dance of sword fighting. Harold had great skill with a sword, and he knew it. He received a small nick on his left shoulder, but returned it with many more. Seizing an opportunity, he snaked his sword back behind one of the woman’s legs and sliced at her hamstrings. The woman collapsed, out of the fight. Now Harold had but two opponents. The ring of metal on metal was in his ears, and his awareness was limited to that of his sword and this battle.

He was about to deliver the death-stroke to the woman he did not know when his blade was stopped abruptly by another’s, and Harold was jerked back to reality. He saw that it was a man, about the same height as himself. Harold kept his eyes on all of them. Sandrina seemed perhaps a little relieved. The man spoke to them, “Sandrina, Anora, you two go and help Henry and Eowyn. I will take over from here.” The man turned to Harold. Harold now had the opportunity to see what else was going on in his peripheral vision. There was only one other man that he had failed to notice before, and he was fighting Samuel. Arthur was still fighting with that other man, whose actions were now visibly labored.

“You have caused Sandrina a great deal of pain, you know,” the man addressed Harold, apparently testing Harold out.

“Good,” replied Harold. “She has caused me a great deal of trouble.” Harold ran his blade down that of his new opponent’s. Harold feinted left and stabbed to the right. The man parried both with slices of his own. Harold nodded. Here was a decent swordsman. This fight was more intense than the one he had fought with the women. Harold could feel sweat dripping down his forehead. He had not had rough days like these past few in many years, and he was not young anymore. To his benefit was the skill and wisdom such as it was that came with age. There was no time for thought. The heat of his hate fueled him on. He had a goal to accomplish; this man was only an obstacle. By the end of this day, Henry and Sandrina alike would be dead for the griefs they had caused him.

The man was good, but Harold was better. The man, seeing a chance, reached out too far, and Harold did not hesitate. He ducked, knocking the man off balance, and stabbed into the man’s side. Blood spurted from the wound. The man fell over in a faint, but Harold knew he was not dead. He had struck beneath the rib cage. He set his sword to the man’s chest. Ordinarily, he would have left the man, but he had aided Sandrina, no small crime in Harold’s opinion.

“I would not do that if I were you,” said a soft voice behind him. It was one Harold recognized instantly: Henry’s. Harold felt sharp cold metal against his own neck. Slowly, he turned around.

“If I were like you,” said Henry. “I would kill you now. But I will not. I will give you a fair chance. Let us see whether your sword skills have improved since we were teens.” Harold’s temper flared. Henry had beaten him before when Harold tried to kill him; he would not now.

“You will regret it,” Harold spat. He turned, and walked toward the gaping doorway. “Come. We will do this properly, in somewhere with more space than this room. Henry grunted in assent, and followed Harold outside.

The brothers faced off, a few feet from each other, each raising his sword. Wordlessly, they flew at each other. Both started out relatively easily, and as they felt each other out the skill level steadily increased. Very evenly matched, both Henry and Harold received small cuts, but nothing more serious than that, though Harold's shoulder where the woman had cut it was throbbing. They fought in a cold fury, their swords blazing as if on fire in the light of the westering sun. The advantage switched back and forth, both men attacking and parrying.

Henry made as if to slash into Harold’s right side. Harold saw this as a fatal mistake, and he stabbed with a vengeance at Henry’s heart. As soon as he began to move, Harold knew he had made a mistake. Henry had fooled him with a simple trick, and sure enough the blade of Henry’s sword came up and knocked Harold’s weapon out of his hand. He knew that Henry would not let him go free this time. Bitterly he rued the day Arthur and Samuel had failed to kill Sandrina. Because of their mistake, he would die this day.

Henry wore a small smile on his face. It was not happiness, nor satisfaction. Harold realized it was sadness. Henry moved his sword within inches of Harold’s face. Harold did not flinch.

“I wish I did not have to do this,” said Henry. “but I do. If it had been only me you had hurt, this day and every day since Sandrina turned up missing, I could forgive you. I was not the only one hurt, though. My wife and daughter have suffered, too. This is for them.” His voice, though it had grown softer in tone, had also grown harder in conviction. This aroused curiosity in Harold. He wondered his brother’s words, that his death was for Sandrina and Eowyn. What kind of love was this? Harold did not understand, did not want to understand. It was too late for him. Any breath he took could be his last. He pushed the soft thoughts away. He had lived strong, and he would now die strong.

“This is for them,” repeated Henry, and with those words he drove his sword through Harold’s heart.

Last edited by Firefoot; 10-12-2004 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:03 AM   #86
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
Hama swung again and again at Arthur who, although visibly shaken and scared, was parrying each stroke deftly, a swordsman's instinct, nothing more or less..."You know nothing of us!" he screamed at Hama, who he obviously didn't recognise immediately, "You know nothing! We have done no wrong, you're a rider, you are sworn to protect us!"...Hama smiled grimly at this last remark. "Sworn protector of law abiding citizens, Arthur Lightheart!" Arthur reeled at the sound of his name. "Not petty, murderous, rich criminals like yourself and your family!"..."Who ARE you?" Arthur screamed, Eowyn stood up, visibly hurt, and bleeding from the mouth where Arthur had dropped her. Her eyes widened, like Arthur's, and like Samuel's, when he said as he swung agin, "I am Hama Haukrsonn, sworn protector of Eomer, his law, and his people. I am also a friend of your family..." Hama smiled as he leaned in close, swords locked, "You always were a slimy, spoilt little brat, Arthur. I'm amazed you're still alive..." Samuel tripped over his own shoes and fell backwards onto the floor as he retreated backwards from the battle. Raen grabbed him and held a knife to his throat. "Leaving so soon, worm?"

Hama and Arthur were evenly matched, for all his experience, Hama was hurt badly, and the bandage around his midriff started to redden around his back as his wound opened again. Arthur, seeing Hama's increasingly laboured swings, stepped up the pace. Now the positions were reversed, Hama was driven backwards while Arthur continued to swing furiously. Eventually, Arthur became tired as well, foiled by Hama's skill. Both men lowered their swords for the briefest of moments to rest...

Hama's face hardened as he watched Sandrina. He'd protected her, damn near died for her, and for what, so these criminals could walk free? As Crystal handed him back his sword, Hama raised it to Arthur's throat. Arthur started to weep, the tears of the damned. He crawled to Hama's feet, kissing his shoes, beggind him to spare his life. Samuel just sat quietly at the back, whimpering. Hama looked dow at Arthur. "One good reason. One good reason why I shouldn't kill you, Arthur." Arthur lowered his head and wept. It was a pitiful sight. He knelt down, praying. Hama spat at him...and raised his sword....

The blade clove clean through Arthur's neck, his headless body, spewing fountains of blood, fell to the floor. Hama raised the head by its hair and threw it at Samuel, who caught it. He began to weep as he saw the expression on his dead brothers face, one of sheer, pure terror. "It'll be you next, Samuel Lightheart, if I ever have cause to do it." Hama spoke harshly, and left, leaving Samuel weeping like a child over his brother's body...

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 10-16-2004 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:35 AM   #87
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
Henry walked over to his daughter, tears brimming in his eyes.

"My daughter, you are alive," He whispered as he drew her into his arms. Sandrina cried against him, happy to finally have everything back. Eowyn joined the hug and crying fest. Then Sandrina broke away.

"We can celebrate at home. Now we must deal with the other two traitors. They were the ones that carried out the plan," Sandrina said. Henry looked down at his daughter, pride in his eyes. He turned to Samuel and Arthur, glaring. The pride that was there moments before was gone. Anger replaced it.

"You two. You took away our daughter. You made us believe that she was dead. You are nothing. I want you to face justice here and now with my Sandrina's sword. Kneel down you traitors. NOW!" Henry roared. They trembled as they got down on their knees.

Henry stepped forward and whipped the sword point upon their faces. They screamed out in pain as the blood flowed freely down their face.

"This is a mark of what you have done against us. No matter where you go now, everyone will know of what you have done. Raen and Hama you may do what you see fit," Henry said. Then he walked over and handed Sandrina her sword.

"Let's go home Father," Sandrina said. Henry nodded and smiled.

"Yes, let us go home. All of us. I would like to give you all rewards for what you have done. Please join us at our estate," Henry took Eowyn's hand and led her outside slowly. Sandrina turned to the group.

"Thank you all for what you have done for me. I am in your deepest debts," Sandrina said, her eyes glistening with tears. Anora smiled and gave her a hug. Sandrina's eyes wandered over the group that was smiling at her.

"It was our pleasure to help you, Sandrina," Raen said.

Together they went to the estate for a grand party and for a reward in money, uniting them together for now and always through this quest. The sun dipped down over the happy, celebatory group, sealing with it the end of their journey together.

Seekers of Truth
Old 10-16-2004, 08:18 PM   #88
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Shield

~*~ Finis ~*~
Old 10-17-2004, 12:15 PM   #89
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Shield