Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2004, 10:32 PM   #121
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Nice post Bethberry. This more properly belongs in a PM, but I've noticed this cropping up in a few posts so far, so please Bb don't feel as though I'm singling you out. . . (although even if I did, I'm sure you could stick up for yourself mightily ).

Nova has thrown us all a bit of a curve ball since her character Rhand is going by the name Aldor -- so please, all, refer to him as Aldor and think of him as a Gondorian.

I'm sure he'll show his true colours eventually, though. . .(?)
Old 07-20-2004, 08:06 AM   #122
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eeks, yes, it was midnight when I wrote and I wondered who the heck was Aldor. Anyhow, I have as per instructions from our mighty G.O. changed the name and called him a Gondorian. Hmmm. Maybe I will make that the arrogant Gondorian?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:05 AM   #123
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Fordim, O Mighty Cap'n G.O. - Just a reminder of what I told you before the game opened: as of Friday, I will be absent for a week and a day, and very probably unable to post. Sorry 'bout that, cap'n ()

EDIT: *evil laughter*

Last edited by Amanaduial the archer; 07-20-2004 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:31 AM   #124
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Boots

I've filled my save.

I'll be away for a week from tomorrow morning. I will have computer access the last part of the week. It will still be very limited, so I'm not sure wheter I'll be able to post much.

Cheers,
Nova
Old 07-20-2004, 02:06 PM   #125
Sarin Mithrilanger
Animated Skeleton

Sarin Mithrilanger has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Sorry everyone

I've been going through personal events recently and have not been posting regularly, but I will be able to now. Sorry for my short posts few and far between.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:17 PM   #126
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe Did you miss me?

Vacation time is over, much to my relief, and so I will be back posting. As you might have noticed, while on vacation, I had less access to a computer than expected. Thank you for dragging Jordo along for me in my neglect of him...

Forgive me, it was not of my intent!

-Durelin
Old 07-23-2004, 05:14 AM   #127
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Its.... fixed

Hey! My computer is finally purged of viruses and reformatted, so i once again have internet access. I will try to fill in both remaining saves today, and then post regularly. I have a lot of reading to do.

Himaran
Old 07-23-2004, 06:13 AM   #128
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Welcome back Himaran. I well know the agony of a virusy computer

And welcome back also to Durelin. I hope you enjoyed your vacation despite the shocking lack of computer access.

See you in about a week Aman *sob* Mayphap you will post a few lines on the game thread before aband. . .erm. . .absenting yourself for a while?

*gentle nudge*

That was for everyone else. Shelob's here, large as life and twice as nasty. Don't be afraid to get in there and mix things up a bit with her.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:20 AM   #129
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Twice as nasty as life? Dear me, now that is nasty...

Ah, you are a hard taskmaster, Fordim - I posted but three days ago! Slavemaster! Joking, joking - I intended to post again before I went, if possible. Is there any particular way in which you want us to go about it?
Old 07-23-2004, 07:54 PM   #130
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Oy.

Alrighty, I have a post up, and its quite a post (not blowing my own horn here, simply relating length, though I do have a very big horn to blow if I truly wanted to, on loan from the Hornburg). I now it's lengthy, but must be read, for it holds some crucial points that must be looked to.

I controlled Raeis, Zurumor, Dwali, Dorim, and, of course, Bror. Inform me of any and all errors posthaste. Dorim has been...well, to put it simply, put out. He's still kicking, but very barely, and I doubt medicine can save him. This is all per Fordim's request, so worry not. Bror, on the other hand, is also in a near-death state, but saveable. The floor is open to anyone, and that means anyone who wants to jump in.

Anybody who decides to a) go up against the now very annoyed spider, b) grab Bror and run off, or c) grab Bror and Dorim may. If someone hauls Bror to safety but not Dorim, that's fine, since Dorim is mortally injured and unconscious, thus on death's door, but it would be a heartless endeavor, and Bror would sure be mad when he woke up. Of course, half the escapees are heartless, and Bror would be too, but perhaps those bonds of rivalry have been broken. Have the chains of segregation truly been shattered?

I love suspense.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 07-23-2004, 09:50 PM   #131
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dűm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I have made my post. It's rather late, so I might not be 'all there', so please forgive any mistakes I made, and I will edit them out as soon as possible.

My plan for Shelob has unfolded, and I have succeeded in not only tearing apart her legs, but enraging her beyond belief. So when she comes a calling soon, beware.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:48 PM   #132
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

Yes, Dorim is inches from seeing the light. I wish I could continue, but I can't. But this put's things into perspective. This isn't one of those stories where a small band of inexperienced travelers conquer extreme evil. It's not like the hobbits would have made it all the way without the rest of the fellowship. My mortal injury shows that Shelob still has some spunk
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 07-24-2004, 07:19 AM   #133
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

CaptainofDespair: Quite a dramatic post, and an ingenious idea by Morgoroth to fell Shelob. Still, I think that perhaps ripping out four legs is a bit much, even for an Elf of Morgoroth's undoubted might. Could I perhaps ask that you edit the post down to just one leg being taken out of the old girl? Perhaps the leg that has already been wounded by Sam (the one without its claw)? Thanks.

And one more note: the company is no longer in a passage or a tunnel but in a huge chamber that stretches away in a circle on all sides. Let's say it's about the size of a small football field (that is, American football, NFL style -- not the more spacious and enjoyable CFL sized field, or the real football (soccer) )

Perky: Thanks for writing with the game to this point, and I'm sorry you have to pull out. I quite agree with your comments about Dorim's death!

Everyone: The current battle with Shelob will continue until Monday morning EDT when there shall be a bit of new development. So get in there and swing away!
Old 07-24-2004, 03:21 PM   #134
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Fordim: I put in a post which leads into a possible counter-attack on the dwarves & co. by Shelob. Could you place your post about Grash and Aldor saving them below mine? I think you put it in while i was writing or something.

Thanks,
Himaran
Old 07-24-2004, 03:28 PM   #135
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Himaran -- yes, sorry about the cross-posting.

Actually, I think it best if I ask you to edit your post rather than me simply moving mine down as there are a couple of wrinkles in yours that need ironing out.

First, Bror is unconscious after his encounter with Shelob but you have him talking with Dwal.

Second, the company is not in a tunnel anymore but a large round cavern from which there is no escape. You can't run, and you can't hide!

Third, Dorim is already dead (although it's entirely likely that Dwali just doesn't know that yet)

And fourth (pick pick pick ) the company is and cannot be running away (see point two, above) so they are already undertaking the counter attack that you suggest.

Sorry to be such a spoil-sport (or is that a spoil-poster?) and I'm sorry if it seems like I'm criticising: I'm really not -- things are happening pretty quick right now and it's a bit hard to keep it all straight, so I'm doing my best to keep people on track without being a dictator about it (and oooooh I do so love to dictate!)
Old 07-24-2004, 04:21 PM   #136
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Fordim:

Its not a problem at all. Your comments put me back in perspective, and gave me the material I needed to enhance a short post. I took everything into account and rewrote it, adding a great deal in the process.

Besides, I deserve to get corrected, after all the grief I gave you and the others in Rhun. Thanks for getting me back on track!

BTW: Only one save left to fill - I'm almost caught up.

Himaran
Old 07-25-2004, 04:43 PM   #137
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sarin: Dwali came to your aid, but is now stuck up in a nitch... thirty feet from the ground. Perhaps, if you wish to continue the battle, Shelob could sort of clamber up there... She's still got Zuromor on her back, but wants to go after the dwarf, as he presents an accessible target.

Himaran

EDIT: sorry about the double post - didn't realize that no one had posted. Doesn't anyone have anything interesting to say??
Old 07-25-2004, 11:54 PM   #138
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

All right -- on to the next stage of the story!

I apologise for the long post, but something as dramatic as the passing of Shelob, I felt, deserved a bit of a full treatment.

At any rate, looking onward.

The company is now on a ledge high up the inside walls of Mordor. We're not far from Cirith Ungol but it's out of sight. For those of you with good maps of Mordor, we're just about directly above the bridge that the road to Minas Morgul uses to cross the Morgai.

It's my hope that we might be able to slow things down bit now (in terms of the action, not the posting!) and have a bit of a 'rest'. It's been roughly 24 hours since the prisoners escaped so I think they're due for some food and water (if any survived the encounter with Shelob that is! ), as well as rest. There's also a lot for the company to discuss. In addition to all the interesting plot threads that have begun already (and please please please pursue these!) we need to figure out:

1) where to go and what to do next?

2) what do do about the unconscious Bror.

3) what to do with Dorim's body.

If anyone wants to scout around a bit, you will find that the ledge to the north peters out and ends at a very long drop down. To the south it goes down and becomes kind of a path that seems to lead toward the Morgul Road. . .

One last thing -- if anyone wants to get in a last post with Shelob, just PM it to me and I will paste it into the beginning of my post.

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 07-26-2004 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:51 AM   #139
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Hey everyone,

I had a couple things to mention here, and one is that my save just before Shelob's end has been filled. The other I have already PMed Fordim about, and that is vacation time. I will be unable to post basically from tomorrow, Tuesday July 27 until Tuesday August 3.

And, as I mentioned to Fordim, you may do as you wish with Jeren, so long as he lives and keeps at least one leg.

-Aylwen
Old 07-26-2004, 10:08 AM   #140
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

I've been saved! I've been saved! I've been saved...but mortally wounded. Thanks a lot! How's that for ironic
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 07-26-2004, 10:23 AM   #141
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

According to your blog, Aylwen, you're listening to No Doubt's 'best of' collection. . .?

"Walking in the Spider Webs" indeed! (But it's not really my fault, is it?)

Pick up!

PS Apologies (and condolences) to all non-No Doubt fans.

PPS Gwen Stefani Rules!

PPPS Just to make this game related so Pio won't delete it: Grash is wearing mismatched socks beneath his armour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylwen Dreamsong
Hey everyone,

I had a couple things to mention here, and one is that my save just before Shelob's end has been filled. The other I have already PMed Fordim about, and that is vacation time. I will be unable to post basically from tomorrow, Tuesday July 27 until Tuesday August 3.

And, as I mentioned to Fordim, you may do as you wish with Jeren, so long as he lives and keeps at least one leg.

-Aylwen
Old 07-26-2004, 06:38 PM   #142
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Thumbs up Yay for us!!

I should just add this note as an edit to my last post, but I really do feel that this deserves a post of its very own.

As I was cruising the Downs and patiently awaiting new posts for the game (gentle nudge gentle nudge) I happened upon the archives.

An entirely cool place that you should all visit if you haven't already (and I'm sure that you all have: I am such a newbie).

At any rate, I found the game thread and realised that it was very friendly for copying and pasting into a word document, which I did. I then formatted it like a proper manuscript and was stunned to see that the game is already over 200 pages long (double spaced) -- that's a whopping great 65 000 words, people! And we're still a week away from the halfway point.

It will be a modestly sized novel by the time we're done (assuming we keep up this torrid pace).

I just wante to share that and to say 'rah 'rah for all the wonderful posts and writers in this game. I cannot wait to see how it turns out. . .
Old 07-26-2004, 07:51 PM   #143
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Well, we are certainly at a crossroads...

I would assume that after the terror of Shelob, the company would not be eager to re-enter the tunnels. So... would they make for Minas Morgul? Suicide. Scale the mountains? Suicide. Hm... where else could they go? After all, none of them are exactly familiar with the passages of Mordor.

Himaran
Old 07-26-2004, 07:59 PM   #144
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dűm

Hmm...good question. I would like to know as well.

I would assume we would have to trek near Morgul, since that is the main way, pretty much the only way, into Ithilien from that side of Mordor.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:59 PM   #145
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Fordim, this was a very clever, very fitting end for Shelob. A superb bit of plotting, inspired.

What do we do now for an encore, though?

And since we are on the subject of vacations, at least Aman's and Aylwen's, let's moved down the alphabet to Bethberry's. I will be away--really away--from August 7 to the 23, in the UK. There will be a laptop near me and likely some hotel access, so I hope to be able to keep up with maybe a post a week. Does Oxford house any unpublished papesr of Tolkien's?

Darash has some wounds from the spiny leg hairs to tend to, but I will come up with more than that for a next post. I hope.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 07-26-2004 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:18 PM   #146
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
O Captain, My Captain, a fitting end for our spidery confrontation.

Good luck to all those heading to vacation, and some intertemporal good wishes to those who have already been. My summer, as yet, has just been permanently freed up. I am now officially a bum, so I'll have plenty of time to post. All my commitments are gone (Huzzah!).

Bror, for thine information, will probably rise from unconsciousness soon, but he is grievously hurt. Spider venom runs in his veins and will make it inevitably harder for him to do anything. Of course, he'll surely still be eager to get those orcs, but his power is still diminished. If we head the way of Morgul, what might we encounter there? The Ringwraiths might still be occupied at Pelennor (what's the date again?), or, if not, Minas Morgul did house their armies. Might they return to it before the final fight at Morannon? What of the orcs on Gorgoroth plateau? Shall our heroic adventurers be trapped by the forces of darkness? Shall they fall before they reach freedom? Shall I keep forgetting canon and acting like a melodramatic soap-opera narrator?

P.S. Fordim, the quote in your signature; Hamlet? It seems almost too apt.

Old 07-27-2004, 05:59 AM   #147
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Fordim, the quote in your signature; Hamlet? It seems almost too apt.
Kransha wins the gold boot for correctly identifying the siggy, and a bonus for noting the aptness (aptocity? aptnitude?) of the sentiment to LotR. Tolkien is a great artist but Shakespeare pretty much said it all first!

So many interesting questions about how to proceed, and none of them asked in the game thread. . .

For what it's worth, I agree that to go back into the tunnels would be suicide what with Shelob's spawn about. But perhaps others think this is preferable to the Morgul Vale, which is the only way I can think of. . .

Perhaps Grash might know of a secret way through the mountains that they can follow. If he does, it's probably extremely dangerous and simply swarming with orcs, though.

At any event, to locate ourselves: it is now mid-day of the 16th of March, the prisoners having made their escape on the morning of the 15th. To the north of us, Frodo and Sam are trying to find a way out of the Morgai. To the west, the battle of the Pelennor has been won, the Witch-King has been slain, and Aragorn and the commanders of the free peoples are taking counsel with Gandalf.

What I suggest for the game is that the company stay put for the rest of this day and night, and then again for tomorrow (the 17th) as they will only travel at night when in the open. This means for the next little bit (a week in the real world?) our posts can be more character-driven as we work through the questions and tensions in the wake of our encounter with Shelob.

On the night of the 17th, we will work our way down to the beginning of the Morgul Vale and then lie low again for the day of the 18th. That night we will go into the pass and try to sneak out of Mordor that way. Now, those of you who are familiar with Appendix B in LotR will know that Aragorn leads his army from Minas Tirith on the 18th, so there's a good chance that the new Nazgul leader will be marching his army through that same pass to join Sauron's forces at the Morannon ).

At any rate, that's a quick look ahead. For the time being, tend to the wounded, air your greivances, knit up new friendships, think of our failure to escape, debate our next steps, eat some food and drink some water. . .

OH! And by the way. . .remember Lurg? He's still lurking about somewhere. Heh heh.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:34 AM   #148
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Boots Incoming: catch-up-posts!

Hello!

Sorry for not posting the last week. (God, I feel bad!). Been busy, and away. But now, I'm sort of back. Anyway, here are two short 'catch-up-posts'. I hope they will help on my conscience!

This should probably be placed at the bottom of Fordim's reply #95.

Rhând

Seeing the two dwarves lying on the cold ground, the young Haradrim swallowed. Grash had already headed over, and was now grabbing Brór by the arms and dragging him towards a safe corner in the cavern. Rhând went unwillingly, and fairly hesitant, to take the other. He took the dwarf's hands, eyes filled with disgust, immediately understanding that something was wrong. The petty little creature was covered in blood, and his pale face revealed his fate.

"You darned fool!" Frowning, Rhând looked at the dwarf shaking with anger. Again, it seemed like an impossible task to earn his freedom and again serve Him. Already, there was one man down. And realising that only one night hadn't passed since they had escaped, he sighed miserably. Was it possible to go on for days in this land without the whole lot of them getting killed? The thought of returning to Him with only two or three prisoners out of twelve in total, didn't sound very promising. On the other hand, would this dwarf really be missed? By the look of him, Rhând guessed that he was of no worth, but still it bothered him. "Breathe you disgraceful hound!" he muttered. It became clear to him, however, that he had more concerns. The dwarf was one thing, but he was dead and nothing could be done about it. Then another thing bothered him even more: the women. He would have to focus on them now. First priority, he thought. They knew he had taken suverah, and that he hadn't used it to overcome Shelob. Surely, they had to be suspicious when it came to his behaviour and especially why he didn't use it against the monster. He would have to take care of them as soon as they escaped the spider, before they told anyone else.

Rising from his position, he trudged over to Grash's side, eager to know what had become of Brór. "One more dead fool and my chances will be ruined," he said under his breath as he settled himself down with Grash.

"Bring other Dwarf!” Grash looked at Rhând, or Aldor as he knew him, and pointed at the other dwarf. Stupid twit, Rhând thought to himself, turning his attention to the body again.

With great effort he managed to press forwards that Dorim was dead. He tried to look into Grash's eyes, but it was hopelss.The whole thing, Rhând realised, was so ironic that he was just about to break into a great laughter. If it hadn't been for the cloth, which still was tied to his face, the other prisoner would have seen the gigantic smile of his.

This one should be placed under, above (wherever you want it basically,) in Bethberry's reply # 100.

Rhând - *** THIS ONE HAS BEEN PLACED ON THE GAME *** - PIO

He turned his attention to the battle. The Spider had in fact been much larger than he had first expected, but he admired her greatness. In his childhood, he had heard of Shelob's mother, Ungoliant. What a great creature it had been. Her disgraceful offspring, Shelob, was, in Rhând’s opinion, almost greater. Of course, this was only because he stood nearly face to face to Shelob, meanwhile he had only heard of her mother, Ungoliant.

Feeling both excited, and nervous, he grabbed his sword. Drawing it out of the sheath, he nodded at Grash, who still knelt by the petty dwarves, saying:" I'm ready, if she comes." A feeling of satisfaction made him giggle with delight. If this didn't make, at least, Grash certain of Rhând's devotion to the prisoners escape, what would? A man with bad intentions would not sacrifice himself in this way. However, knowing that Shelob was indeed busy with her other preys, some of the other prisoners, Rhând felt quite safe where he stood pretending to be brave. The dim light didn't allow him to get a proper look of what was going on. He heard cries of pain and of despair, but also eager cries which came from prisoners who were up for a good fight with the spider. Focusing, his gaze wandering around and at the same time listening eagerly to the battle, he finally spotted one of the women: Darash.

The woman was mainly trying to get to Shelob's legs. Rhând hoped she failed. For a minute or so, he even pictured Darash lying at the ground screaming with pain and horror when Shelob ended her life. One threat would be eliminated by this, he figured, and everything would again be simple, or at least simpler than how things were now. He didn't care much of what his Master would say now. If the women knew and were suspicious towards his behaviour, what else was there to do than kill them? It would only be easier for him if Shelob took care of Darash. His only remaining problem would be this Lyshkia, but he supposed it would be quite entertaining to end her life. Yes, Shelob could be very useful if only she could wipe Darash out of the game. Giggling, still following the battle, he crossed his fingers and hoped that his wish would come true.

Come on... Come on now... Almost, almost.. Shaking and trembling with excitement, feeling the tension in his body increase, he watched the woman stumble. For every step she took, she grew nearer and nearer death. How exciting, he thought to himself thrilled by how the situation seemed to develop. "Now! Come on!" he whispered seeing Darash being thrown to the ground. The climax had been reached; it was only for Shelob to end it. A few seconds passed, Darash lay on the ground and Shelob approached. Rhând waited impatiently for Darash to draw her last breath.

"Darn you Lyshkia!" His body seemed to explode. Seconds before his wish had been granted to him, this other fool of a woman had appeared. She was now fighting valiantly against the gigantic spider. Soon, Darash got to her feet as well, and together the two women aimed for the spider's legs. He cursed his bad luck. So near . . he thought being unsatisfied. He sighed.

Darash caught his eye, as he cursed for the second time. Was she expecting his aid, or had she seen him while he was waiting anxiously for Shelob to kill her?

Hope they were alright. If not, then just give me a note and I'll edit.

Thanks in advance,
Nova

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-27-2004 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:52 AM   #149
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Nova: I've pasted your post into mine at #95. Mayhap the next time she's through here Bethberry will put your other addition below hers??

Alternately, perhaps Pio might notice this first and insert your post into the appropriate space.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Nova's second post has been placed on the game - below Bethberry's

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-27-2004 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:48 PM   #150
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Thank you much Pio, you never cease to amaze.

CaptainofDespair: as always, a nice post, but there's one odd geographical oddity in it: the company is on the eastern edge of the Mountains of Shadow so they can only look east to the plains of Gorgoroth, north toward the gap of Udun and south into the vasty distance. . .so Minas Morgul (which is to the west, and thus behind the mountains) is not visible from where we are. Could I ask you to edit out the wonderfully atmospheric description of the evil city (but don't lose it, since we might just be passing that way eventually. . .)

If I might make one suggestion: Morgoroth has the keen eyes of his race, so from where we are currently, he should be able to get a good look at Barad Dur!

Himaran and Kransha: you're not going to make Morgoroth carry Dorim all the way out of Mordor, are you??
Old 07-27-2004, 02:14 PM   #151
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dűm

Ack...that is an oddity...one I was not aware of. I will delete the post, and edit it later...:P

Edit: Well, I posted the editted version. Hopefully it still conveys what I originally planned it to.

Last edited by CaptainofDespair; 07-27-2004 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:09 PM   #152
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420! She lives!!

Well, finally, I have posted once again. Jordo disappeared for some time, but...well, he's not very loud, it's possible that he was there the whole time...

I deserve a good killing for this RPG being so devoid of posts from me.

Aman - I hope you don't mind me having Raeis be concerned with Jordo. He's not much to be concerned with, but...

-Durelin
Old 07-27-2004, 05:36 PM   #153
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Ok, my save, she is filled.

Bror has come to terms, some terms, with Dorim's sad demise, pondered it a bit, and talked (or is talking) with Morgoroth. CaptainOfDespair, tell me if I need to edit my edit and I will gladly oblige. Bror is still the same hard, pessimistic Dwarf he was, but softened now by some friendship. Unfortunately, Dorim's death has desensitized him even more and, despite the spider poison in his veins, he's out for blood, or will be whenever a hapless orc comes along.

P.S. Fearless Leader Fordim: Bror has settled the matter of Dorim. The dwarf will be left where he lies, some Dwarven prayers only to protect him. Otherwise, we can only hope that he stays where he is...not that he has anywhere to go.

Old 07-29-2004, 10:53 AM   #154
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

He kicked the bucket! Very sad. Good post BTW, Kransha. One can only hope those dwarven prayers can protect my body...although after the ring is destoryed and lava goes everywhere, I can't make any promisses. Dorim has been put to rest, and as such, so have I in this RPG. Though the body is gone, the spirit remains...wait, there's the lava again It was a pleasure writing with y'all, even if it was very short. Thank you very much for your time

- Perky

PS: As a matter of fact, Kransha, Dorim has a haircut next thursday, so he does have somewhere to go See all y'all around the downs!
Old 07-31-2004, 05:13 PM   #155
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Quote:
Bror has come to terms, some terms, with Dorim's sad demise, pondered it a bit, and talked (or is talking) with Morgoroth. CaptainOfDespair, tell me if I need to edit my edit and I will gladly oblige. Bror is still the same hard, pessimistic Dwarf he was, but softened now by some friendship. Unfortunately, Dorim's death has desensitized him even more and, despite the spider poison in his veins, he's out for blood, or will be whenever a hapless orc comes along.
Captain of Despair - my post is similar to this. Dwali was thoroughly broken by Dorim's death, and realizes that Morgoroth acted selflessly and bravely in the tunnels. Although still frustrated, confused and rage-filled, he sees it time to end this little fued. Let me know if I portrayed your character incorrectly!

Himaran
Old 08-03-2004, 09:17 AM   #156
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Moving Forward

Allrighty -- time is about to jump forward a bit.

I will put in a post of my own (sometime today) that will move time forward from the morning of the 16th, to the evening of the 17th of March. In this time, the company will contend with Aldor's 'fainting spell' and take some rest. We should probably then debate what to do and where to go -- Grash will be making a proposal and I hope that there will be some responses to it!

The game is, so far as I can tell, about half over now (Pio?), and while we've got a lot of ground to cover, we are pretty much on schedule. Still, that having been said, we should begin to get out of Mordor! With that in mind, I will give everyone until the weekend to wrap up the current scenario, respond to Grash's proposal and interact with each other, before we must get moving off this ledge and into the mouth of Morgul Vale. . . [Insert Ominous Music Here]

One Last Thing: I do have plans for the company, but if anyone has ideas for the rest of the game, PM me with them -- my mind is always open to suggestions.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:23 AM   #157
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Game opened: 06/28 - 12 week run

End date: 09/20

˝ way point for game: 08/09 (6 weeks)

~*~ Pio
Old 08-03-2004, 02:39 PM   #158
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Hmm. Fordim, we have cross-posted: would you mind reposting yours beneath mine, please?
Old 08-03-2004, 02:45 PM   #159
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Thanks to our dauntless Mod for the info.

OK -- so my newest post is up, and Grash has put forward his proposal. Please react to it, and interact with each other. Also, we should get moving.

Could the next few posters accomplish the following (please, though, don't do it all yourself in one post -- let those who come after move things along).

• The company will decide to wait for full night before going, and that we will do all our travelling at night, laying low during the day.
  • We need to gather up our few supplies and make ready to leave.
  • We need to head south along the narrow path toward the Morgul Vale.
  • Someone might feel a slight unease, as though we are being watched.
  • Someone might actually catch a fleeting glimpse of shadowy forms scurrying about amid the rocks below the path, as though they are following the company.

On Friday I will put up a post that will finish off whatever on this list needs to be done, and bring us to the beginning of the Morgul Road where the company shall face it's first obstacle along that terrible road. . .

EDIT -- Done and done, Aman. Just one thing about your post, however, you mention that the company is in a tunnel, but we are actually out on a high ledge. Not a big deal, but I am such a stickler for details. . .

Blame Pio: she sets such a high standard!

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 08-03-2004 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:16 PM   #160
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

O.K. (I wonder what that stands for), I have a post up.

Generalissimo Fordim, I 'sort of' covered the first point, or at least made it clear that Grash wants to do that, and that he has some support. This can be continued. Tell me, Fordim, if anything in the post needs to be edited, as it well might be. Same with anyone. I used a lot of people...kind of...I just indicated them, I suppose, but I might have gotten something wrong.

So, Bror's really, really disgruntled, and making himself a lot of enemies, (he's inadvertantly insulted Zurumor, Raeis, Grash, Lyshka, Darash, and Jeren). He wants to keep going on the Morgul Road, but Grash thinks it's better not to (right, Fordim?). Now, he's sulking...very sulkily...in a sulky fashion...yes...