The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
The Eye T-I-G CIV: Spambot Apocalypse (Admin Thread)

Setting: the near-future.

Reviled by some, championed by others, the “Hobbit" movies certainly bring one thing in their wake: a new plague of spambots to trouble the unhappy Downs.

But these are no ordinary webcrawlers. Somehow, through some unintentional fluke of coding, they have become... self-aware.

When the mods try to ban them, the evil AIs fight back– and conquer the entire forum.

In the process a group of Downers are sucked into cyberspace. While, in the real world, their bodies remain comatose, their minds are trapped in the terrifying virtual wasteland that was once a thriving fan site.

Their only hope: to find some way back into the real world.

But the evil AIs are not going to give up their human slaves so easily...

Rôles:

Infiltrators (Wolves).
In a dimension where bodies are really just mental projections, how can you tell whether your “friends” are human– or AIs spying on your plans for escape? Answer: you can’t.

Worse, the humans have a traitor in their midst–

The Hacker has always found computers easier to understand than other human beings, and he believes he and our new spambot overlords have much to offer each other.

Luckily, spambots are not alone in developing sentience– a trio of self-aware security programs have come to our aid.

S.E.E.R. (Sentient Electronic Evaluation Resource) is able to identify AIs masquerading as humans.

R.A.N.G.E.R (Radical Advanced Nocturnal Guardian Experimental Robot) chooses a different person to protect each night. Cannot self-protect. (Role changed slightly in view of the small numbers.)

H.U.N.T.E.R (Heuristically-programmed Upgradable Non-logical Troubleshooting and Elimination Robot) automatically strikes back if attacked. Unfortunately, due to programming limitations, H.U.N.T.E.R. is never able to distinguish between malevolent AIs and the humans it is supposed to be helping.

Note: in the event of a tie, the first player to reach the total will be lynched.

The Cast
(As themselves– or are they?)
Inziladun
Galadriel55
Sally
Legate
Rune
Kitanna
Boromir88
Blind Guardian
Loslote
Morsul the Dark
Shasta

Last edited by Nerwen; 01-04-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Ha ha! Love it!
Old 12-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
This is bloody glorious, darling.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up

Whoa! Brilliant theme idea. Really looking forward to this...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Coppermirror is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Curses. The theme for this game looks so amazing that it's going to be hard to resist signing up. I'll probably be back later to sign up when my will finally crumbles.
Coppermirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ooh! Ooh! Pick me! PICK ME!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
You had me at spam
Old 12-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
1420!

Celebrated cyberpoet tomtom has privately expressed to me his (its?) dissatisfaction at not being included in the game. Or, as he eloquently puts it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom
tom no play? tom sitting duck
Rest assured tom– you will be included– as one of the infiltrators! (Might be an idea to get your human-simulation software upgraded– you don’t want to give yourself away.)

For those not familiar with tom’s brief but illustrious career, here are some helpful links:

tom starts a thread
tom introduces himself (in verse)
tom sings happy birthday to Lottie
tom joins a game started by fellow-bot lucyyenic
tom fields an all-spambot team in the 2013 Arda Cup
tom graciously welcomes a new member
tom falls in love with another spambot
the tragic romance of tom and peppeateCat
tom mourns his lost love
Old 12-18-2013, 03:08 AM   #9
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Celebrated cyberpoet tomtom has privately expressed to me his (its?) dissatisfaction at not being included in the game. Or, as he eloquently puts it:

Rest assured tom– you will be included– as one of the infiltrators! (Might be an idea to get your human-simulation software upgraded– you don’t want to give yourself away.)

For those not familiar with tom’s brief but illustrious career, here are some helpful links:

tom starts a thread
tom introduces himself (in verse)
tom sings happy birthday to Lottie
tom joins a game started by fellow-bot lucyyenic
tom fields an all-spambot team in the 2013 Arda Cup
tom graciously welcomes a new member
tom falls in love with another spambot
the tragic romance of tom and peppeateCat
tom mourns his lost love
What the freaking... ehhh... I mean... WHAT!?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:16 AM   #10
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Pipe

I believe another Infiltrator will be the equally famed lucyyenic, artistbot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyyenic
I was reading the "Unifinished tales of Numenor and Middle-earth" when I was asked if I could paint something calssical, without fat people, blood, or other strange things involved. So here we have Amroth, King of Lorien and Nimrodel, somwhere in the Fangorn Forrest.

I´m not sure about the quality of the pic, since it´s a pretty huge and had to be photographed. Originally it´s watercolor
Not only did Lucy start a popular and long-running quiz thread, she even won a WW game!

Poor Lucy. She was with us such a short time, yet she has passed into Downs lore... forever... and ever...

Last edited by Nerwen; 12-18-2013 at 04:22 AM. Reason: fixed links
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thumbs up

Sign me up. I can't wait to work with or against the celebrated Tom and Lucyyenic.

Iiii will probably spend the entire game being very silly.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:56 AM   #12
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
I believe another Infiltrator will be the equally famed lucyyenic, artistbot.

Not only did Lucy start a popular and long-running quiz thread, she even won a WW game!

Poor Lucy. She was with us such a short time, yet she has passed into Downs lore... forever... and ever...
I had completely forgotten about most, if not all, of this. Flipping magical.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Are sign-ups still open? If so, I'd love to join. It feels like forever since I've played!
Old 12-22-2013, 05:04 AM   #14
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Are sign-ups still open? If so, I'd love to join. It feels like forever since I've played!
They certainly are!
Old 12-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
May I play?
Old 12-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #16
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Of course.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #17
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Our resident psychic is interested in playing as well. His skills will no doubt come in handy with these tricksy AIs scampering about the place. Unless he's one of them....

Can't sleep. Shasta will eat me.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #18
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hey hey what are you thinking for deadline? Or when to start?
Old 12-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #19
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
She who holds the moon in her heart has forgotten all about me.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #20
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
She who holds the moon in her heart has forgotten all about me.
My treasure! How could you think such a thing?

Why, I thought you had forgotten all about me! “He never posts...” I wept into my pillow. “He never messages me... can it be that he *gulp* doesn’t want to join my WW game?”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
Hey hey what are you thinking for deadline? Or when to start?
Not sure about the DL. I was thinking of starting in the New Year, but we could begin after Christmas if that suits everyone.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
For me, the earlier the better.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #22
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
Why, I thought you had forgotten all about me! “He never posts...” I wept into my pillow. “He never messages me... can it be that he *gulp* doesn’t want to join my WW game?”
Why, my heart, perish the thought! I simply took it as read that I'd be automatically signed up for anything you put your hand to, as I mentioned in the Grimoire.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #23
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Well, my jewel, for all I knew you had been carried off by the Adult Friend Finder...

Okay, we don’t seem to be getting any more takers for an immediate start, so I propose the 2nd of January.

As for DL, here are my suggestions:

GMT 4:00
GMT 5:00
GMT 12:00
GMT 13:00
GMT 22:00
Old 12-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #24
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well according to google... 4 or 5gmt woul be best for me that's 11pm and midnight respectively, however I can work with any of those deadlines just be prepared for a lot of early votes, but I'm ok with that if a majority agrees on a different time.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #25
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
DL isn't an issue for me. If I have to vote early, or late, it wouldn't be the first time.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #26
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ditto. I would have to vote early for some of these, but then you can't suit everyone around the globe. I'm quite ok with that. Just pick whichever one you and Agan would be most comfortable with.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #27
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
5 gmt would be the best.
Follow by 4 gmt
Then 12 and 13
Old 12-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #28
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
5 gmt would be the best.
Follow by 4 gmt
Then 12 and 13
Seconding my prince's selections, though DL isn't a huge issue for me at the moment, so I'd be amenable to whatever is best for the group.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #29
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Well, my jewel, for all I knew you had been carried off by the Adult Friend Finder...

GMT 4 and 5 deadlines I'll be sound asleep (hopefully), but all the rest work for me if help with the day/night endings is needed!

Also if the game started around the 6th, Lommy, Pomegranate, Legate, and maybe even Greenie, Encaitare and some others might be up for playing too, as that's when most Downers who are visiting us right now in Finland will have left.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #30
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to drop out of the game. Ironically, the reason is spam. The link redirection bug the forums has at present is annoying me too much, and today for the first time it even tried sending me to a site that pinged my antivirus, which is the last straw. I can't happily play werewolf on a forum that's trying to send me to sites that are likely to harm my computer. And I don't think the forum's problem is going to be fixed in time for the game to start. If the problem does get fixed before the game starts, count me back in, though.

Clearly, the spambots realised that at long last I was finally on brilliant WW-playing form and would annihilate them if I were to play in the game, and so they took steps to make me quit. Curse their wily ways.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #31
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

The virus question worries me too, Cop, but not enough to bow out. If we're too fearful for WW, the spambots win.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #32
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Old 01-01-2014, 03:49 AM   #33
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Agan, I can wait until the 6th, but some people may want to start before that.

Is 12:00 GMT all right with everyone?
Old 01-01-2014, 06:55 AM   #34
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:

This works for me, though be prepared for lots of early votes from me.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #35
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
This works for me, though be prepared for lots of early votes from me.
Ditto.

On the 6th I start school already, and I was hoping to get at least a couple Days out of the way before that. With my schedule, I don't think I would be able to play if we only start on the 6th.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #36
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:

I start school on the 6th, like G55, but I can still play if we wait. DL is fine, I'll just vote early sometimes.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #37
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

The 12 deadline is fine by me!

At the moment it looks like it would just be Lommy and Legate who would be able to play here, but only if the game starts around the 6th - so it's your decision eventually. I don't mind either way.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #38
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

In that case, we’ll start on the 3rd– apologies to Lommy and Legate.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:26 AM   #39
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Hey,

It seems that Aganzir forgot me.
I am in Finland until the 6th, and I haven't brought a laptop, so my initial participation will be limited.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:17 AM   #40
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
What time does it end? The votes? (reremebering how to play this )
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote