The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2007, 02:59 AM   #601
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
A few nigths ago, I had a dream that in the Nogrod's werewolf game that is curently running, he was a wolf himself, though he was modding too. I'm not certain, but I think Boro was a wolf too in that dream...

Last night I had a dream that LMP had sent me a PM asking me to write to the Mead Hall and reminding me that I have promised to write something but I haven't written anything for ages... Conscience knocking, obviously...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:54 AM   #602
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
Last night I had a dream that LMP had sent me a PM asking me to write to the Mead Hall and reminding me that I have promised to write something but I haven't written anything for ages... Conscience knocking, obviously...
I like your conscience.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:14 AM   #603
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
It's me and my werid dreams again...

A few nights ago I had a dream where I was discussing with a friend. Suddenly she said: "Do you know these James Bond -guys around the 'Downs?" "What do you mean?" I asked, "as far as I know there's only one and that's Anguirel, 007." "Yes, there's him, but there's some more too. Take a look at this." She produced a list from her pocket. In the list there were numbers from 001 to 009 and they all had a 'downer's name after them. Ang was - of course - 007 and Menel (I think) was either 003 or 004. Unfortunately I can't remember the other ones.

Now, I see I got a bit too enthusiastic about that James Bond -joke in Noggie's ww...
Old 02-15-2007, 09:12 AM   #604
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I had a pretty sweet dream last night -

I dreamed that Formendacil rewrote the Hobbit and put 'Downers in it, but it ended up not being very Tolkien-like. It was more an Alice in Wonderland/George MacDonald faery story, there was lots of moss, and woods, and toadstools, and floating eyeballs.

The main character was a princess, and he put me in that role (like I say, pretty sweet huh?) and he had me go on a journey to the end of the world, where my prince was waiting and also a giant waterfall, where I would know what to do next.

The only other Downers I remember being in it was Thinlo as the young girl (goddess?) next to the world waterfall, and a newbie named MoAimee as a rather young and flighty Bilbo, and Eomer of the Rohirrim as a prancing Phantom-of-the-Opera type dashing-swordsman Death, who was after the princess.

So I journey there, and I get there, and there are two people at the end, a man and Thinlo by the edges of the waterfall, pouring things in it to give life to the world at the bottom. A shocker at this point was the man was Chris Cornell, frontman for Audioslave and Soundgarden. I know, I did a double-take even in my dream.

I end up going down to this new world, marrying a prince (The Only Real Estel, I think), and discovering that "even ordinary-looking people can have extraordinary lives!", which is nuts, since I'm gorgeous. And TorE isn't ordinary either.

It was a much better story than I can set down here. I remember one philosophical question being "If three small colored candles can tell if one white candle is lit, and one white candle can tell if a hobbit is behind a rock, shouldn't three small colored candles be able to tell if a hobbit is behind a rock? They can! The Hobbit race is saved!"

Also, Death wore seatless pants. Valar save me I don't know why.

And then, at the theatric premier, of which Hookbill wrote the screenplay, I met the guy who be short, who looked pale, fat, and dumpy (nothing at all like his picture), and we talked about how shweet the story was, how Form was a genius, and how the sequel was going to be even greater.

Then I talked a bit to Mithalwen, who in reality was a very paranoid woman called Fernando Finesta, but we had to meet in a closed-off room, and when I sat down she said "Ohhh, don't you check the seat before you sit down, dear? I do, what if I were to accidentally sit in someone's lap, that would be dreadful!"

The play was put on by all children, except Eomer still played Death, who did a pretty good job of it, the boy who played Bilbo just choked up once when at the scene where he's behind the rock while the princess talks to Death, but that was probably just because of Death's lack of proper pants.

All-in-all, I wouldn't mind having that dream again, if that were possible.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #605
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Oddwen, what a dream

I had a dream where Celuien called my mobile phone and told that she's in reality one girl from Lommy's school, who I know pretty badly. I felt ok with that, but the girl insisted that she did great wrong to me for hiding her identity.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:45 PM   #606
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Odone I was WHAT?

OK I fess up - it is all true!!!!

I usually never remember any dreams but the other night I had this really odd one featuring a lot of whales - I don't think there were any downers which is a pity cos I'd love to know what on earth it was about ... whales are meant to be a good omen according to one dream dictionary I checked on line but if the whale flips itself out of the sea like a suicidal goldfish from a bowl and lands in front of your car (so you have to swerve not to crash into it)..maybe not

Regards

Fernando

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:21 PM   #607
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
if the whale flips itself out of the sea like a suicidal goldfish from a bowl and lands in front of your car (so you have to swerve not to crash into it)..maybe not
Have you been reading Hitchhiker's Guide lately...?

Oh yes I forgot one thing - I had dragged my sister to the theatrical premier and introduced her to TGWBS, "This is my sister, Oliphaunts_Rule, she had three or four posts way back when..." and Tiggy said "Oh yeah!! I remember you, you were AWESOME!". At that point, I was doubtful that this was the real guy who be short.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:11 AM   #608
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Tonight I had the strangest dream I'd ever dreamed before...

...because it was a dream of the Downs. I don't remember much from it, but the main point was that I somehow discovered that The Phantom (I mean the Downer, not the comic figure) is actually Hookbill's alter ego. Yes, Hookbill was registered twice at the Downs: once as Hookbill, once as The Phantom. When I realized that, I said to myself: "Yes, this makes sense, this is why he is not afraid of using the Phantom as a character in that comic strip." I also came to the conclusion that this is why The Phantom almost never made any commentary to the comics. But then, the other day (in the dream), TP actually wrote some commentary to the last part of the comics (and really negative one, he complained against associating himself with the comic figure, and appealed on Hookbill to try to portrait him correctly in the comics, or he will do something about it - not sure what it should be, possibly arguing at the administrators to ban the comics, or even Hookbill), but this was clear to me: "Nah," I said to myself, "so transparent, Hookbill. You did this because you know I learned the truth and you are now trying to convince us that TP is not your alter ego. But we are not gonna believe you."
So that's about it. We know the truth now, and we are not gonna believe you, Hookbill!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:02 AM   #609
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Curses! My secret's out!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:06 AM   #610
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
I end up going down to this new world, marrying a prince (The Only Real Estel, I think), and discovering that "even ordinary-looking people can have extraordinary lives!", which is nuts, since I'm gorgeous.
lol! Oddwen that's at least the second dream of your's I've been in now - you should have them more often
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #611
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Only Real Estel
lol! Oddwen that's at least the second dream of your's I've been in now - you should have them more often
It's like I said a while back, TOLE, your moniker is all about HOPE. The Only Real Estel = one's only real hope. This says plenty about all these dreams with you in them, no?
Old 02-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #612
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Some surprising statistics...

• TGWBS - 6
  • EomerotR - 4
  • Nilp - 3
  • the phantom - 3
  • Mithalwen - 3
  • Fea - 3
  • Thinlomien - 3
  • Diamond18 - 3
  • Hookbill - 3
  • Gurthang - 2
  • Bethberry - 2
  • SPM - 2
  • B88 - 2
  • Menel - 2
  • Lalwende - 2
  • Davem - 2
  • TorEstel - 2
  • Glirdan - 2
  • Formy - 2
  • malkatoj - 1
  • Da BW - 1
  • Zali of Willowbottom - 1
  • Elf-warrior - 1
  • Durelin - 1
  • Nogrod - 1
  • Oliphaunts_rule - 1
Wow, that's surprising...I had no idea I dreamed of Tiggywubs so much.

Now that would be a schweet WW game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorE
"I end up going down to this new world, marrying a prince (TOREstel, I think), and discovering that "even ordinary-looking people can have extraordinary lives!", which is nuts, since I'm gorgeous. [now Estel...]" -Oddwen on her Barrow Downs Dream
I said you weren't ordinary either. There are no ordinary 'Downers.

[edit]

People who have dreamed of me -

• Eomer - 1
  • Lhuna - 1
  • Shelob - 1
  • Kath - 1
  • Kitanna - 1
  • Oromin - 1
  • Gurthang - 1
[/edit]

Last edited by Oddwen; 02-27-2007 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Added another GREAT feature!
Old 02-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #613
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Good Gracious me!

Last night I had an odd dream!
It was cold in my bedroom (which may explain the setting) when I went to sleep. I dreamt that I was in Antarctica for some reason and looking for the 'Penguin City', my younger brother was insisting we go there (he likes Penguins). when we got there Thinlómien was chasing some penguins around a huge tower. Lommy didn't call herself 'Thinlómien' though, she called herself 'Ann' for some reason.

My younger brother took up a stick and began bashing it against the tower yelling at Ann / Thinlómien to stop chasing the Penguins. She turned to him and said something about the Penguins hiding something under the tower. So we all went down some stairs that had mysteriously appeared. Once at the bottom, I saw that there were hundreds of Penguins huddled around a huge egg that, for some reason, had the Barrow Down's logo on it.

Thinlómien then said that it was the Downs' central server or something and that someone was trying to cut it off. I asked why and she said, 'Because they don't want us talking about books anymore.' To which I replied 'I see'. Lommy then proceeded to hand out chocolate to the Penguins who seemed very happy about this. But my younger brother was shouting that they couldn't eat chocolate and then the Penguins started exploding...

Then I woke up...

Weird...
Old 02-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #614
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen
Have you been reading Hitchhiker's Guide lately...?
Not recently, though I love the books dearly and have a first edition So Long and thanks .." and there definitely wasn't any petunias...

Old 02-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #615
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann
Because they don't want us talking about books anymore.
Oh my dear I hope this has nothing to do with copywrites.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #616
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
what i don't get is how you can dream about people whom presumably you've never seen?
Old 02-18-2007, 02:49 PM   #617
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I am surprised I crop up relatively often becasue I don't even have an avatar..so no visual presence other than a lot of words and smilies..

Old 02-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #618
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Could be, lmp, could be.

Quote:
I said you weren't ordinary either. There are no ordinary 'Downers.
True, but I laugh more at my taken-out-of-context version.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:38 AM   #619
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewhoarisesinmight
what i don't get is how you can dream about people whom presumably you've never seen?
Do you only dream of people you have seen?

I had such a strange dream...

I was in Fordim's WW-game. The game had two game-threads and I was not just writing into them, I was in them. At first I didn't notice that there were two threads and I wondered around the low-class thread, ironically it was my school's grounds. At some moment I noticed that I hadn't writen anything about suspecting people and all I wrote was just in character.

Somehow I was converted to the other thread that was a gigantic mansion and where all the real action was going on. All the players voted while dining at a great table and we lynched a new tiny alligator-character.

Then I walked around the mansion and in each room the time was different, in one room it was year 1919. In some rooms there were ancestors of people I know from RL. One room was my father's room.

After that I flew into the space on a bus.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:40 AM   #620
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
I usually don't dream of screen names

Last edited by hewhoarisesinmight; 02-23-2007 at 02:07 PM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:04 AM   #621
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I don't murder penguins!
Old 02-19-2007, 10:15 AM   #622
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Wow, that's surprising...I had no idea I dreamed of Tiggywubs so much.
You cannot deny your subconscious. 'Tis luuuurve! Maybe? No...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mith

I am surprised I crop up relatively often becasue I don't even have an avatar..so no visual presence other than a lot of words and smilies..
I think its because you post a lot, so people get to know you and form their own mental representations. Especially people who know you on LJ.

Oddwen style dream list:

Feanor 9
Encaitare 4
Eomer of the rohirrim 4
kath 4
the phantom 3
mormegil 3
Lhuna 3
littlemanpoet 3
formendacil 3
Barrow Wight 2
orominuialwen 2
nilp 2
the only real estel 2
davem 1
lalwende 1
beren87 1
Anguirel 1
holbytlass 1
dancing spawn of ungoliant 1
Celuien 1
Gilgalad 1
Firefoot 1
glingleglingleglinglefairy 1
Heren Istarion 1
wilwarin 1
Alatar 1
bucktardo 1
boromir 1
piosenniel 1
Shelob 1
mithalwen 1
sleepy ranger 1

TGWBS: 32 different people in dreams. 63 dream-people. 55 total dreams.
Oddwen: 26 different people in dreams. 58 dream-people. 30 total dreams.

The race is on!

Last edited by the guy who be short; 02-24-2007 at 09:50 AM.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #623
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
I think its because you post a lot, so people get to know you and form their own mental representations. Especially people who know you on LJ.
Yeah ... puts me off meeting any downers since I am sure I would be such a crashing disappointment but I haven't been on LJ for long and don't post much....

Old 02-19-2007, 08:05 PM   #624
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
For me, I've only had one dream involving the Downs. Nuranar appeared in it, and the phantom was involved but did not actually appear. Nothing much, except there were a few elements in it that wound up coming true.

I've appeared in four dreams by other BDers.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:38 AM   #625
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

My list:

* The Only Real Estel - 1

What can I say?

See you all in about 41 days....
Old 02-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #626
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I had a dream with Mithalwen in it.

It went like this:

We were driving along a country road and then she did a sharp right at a junction. This road passed through a disused village (like those ghost villages on the South Downs that are used as Army bombing ranges) which had a lot of trees. After a while it entered open country and the road got narrower until the 'road' was just tyre tracks through a lush green upland field (rather like very nice parkland). Mithalwen drove confidently (it was a Range Rover) and she was correct to do so as we soon got onto a metalled lane again. Here there was a crossroads with one finger on the signpost pointing to a village called Derby, which Mithalwen corrected and said it was pronounced "Derby" not "Darby", which was surprising. Then she dropped me off in the village where there was one of these dreadful team builds going on and I sneaked off to the pub.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:47 PM   #627
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh dear - Lalwende, who has met me, associates me with the sort of countrywomen who drive upmarket tanks too fast, never indicate and leave anyone else on the road half in a ditch I may sound like that but I drive a clapped out little fiat cautiously on country roads (you never know when a herd of cows or a child on a pony is round the next corner) and went to what was then a fairly rough comprehensive ... but I did wear pearls with my uniform

however spookily enough having dreadful early starts for current assignment means I am waking at the right point in my sleep cycle to remember more dreams ..and spookily enough the night before last - or rather yesterday morning - I had a barrow downs dream!

And it was in a pub and featured Lalwende and Davem and The Saucepan Man and some other Downers I woke up too soon to be introduced too- Lalaith maybe . I had a vague idea that it was Oxonmoot but for some reason a group of my god-daughter's MUDders were down the other end of the long table doing craft work. I arrived late (no surprise there but it seems I might have been parking the Range Rover ) said hello to Lal and Dave and then I sat down and in front of me was a sign promoting a real ale that was named after the Saucepan Man and the the slogan sounded like a potential RPG.

At that point my conscious mind realised delightedly that I my subconscious was having a Barrows Downs Dream and woke me up..and the alarm went off and that was it ...

Old 02-22-2007, 03:28 PM   #628
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wait...you realized you were dreaming before you woke up?

If that be the case, yours (as far as I know) is the first lucid dream (a dream in which you know you are dreaming) to be posted on this thread, though you did wake up shortly after you realized that it was a dream.

I wondered if this was ever going to happen.

We've had a few reports of "false awakenings" already, mainly involving Werewolf mods who thought they'd woken up after they were supposed to post death scenes only to find that they hadn't actually woken up.

Just some random observations of mine.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #629
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

If this is the case then I can't help thinking it is ironic but not surprising that I am lucid when I am asleep but no so much when awake

Old 02-22-2007, 06:40 PM   #630
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
... said hello to Lal and Dave and then I sat down and in front of me was a sign promoting a real ale that was named after the Saucepan Man and the the slogan sounded like a potential RPG.
I'm rather touched to be thought of as a traditional English acoholic beverage, though somewhat alarmed at the prospect of being consumed by you, Lal and davem ...

Still, it makes a change from always seeming to be in conflict with someone when I feature in people's dreams.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:09 PM   #631
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel
Wait...you realized you were dreaming before you woke up?
Wait...this is an unusual thing? Yay, I'm special!

Old 02-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #632
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Not extremely unusual, Oddwen; it's happened to me a few times. However, none of them were especially Barrow-Downs related, so I didn't post them here.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:44 AM   #633
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
I'm rather touched to be thought of as a traditional English acoholic beverage, though somewhat alarmed at the prospect of being consumed by you, Lal and davem

Still, it makes a change from always seeming to be in conflict with someone when I feature in people's dreams.

Ah well ..I rather think it was a bitter and I seldom drink anything darker than IPA
Funnily enough you were on the other side of the table from us but it all seemed quite amicable ... however it was a very short dream ...

Old 02-23-2007, 04:03 PM   #634
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Now then Mithalwen...I don't associate Range Rovers with posh folks myself, having grown up in the countryside and got used to seeing beaten up old Range Rovers being driven about by people without much cash. They're a solid old car and easy enough to repair and will keep going for a few thousand miles...and one of my friends had her own Land Rover - it had lots of sheep poop in the back so it wasn't exactly posh. There now, I don't associate you with posh ladies wot lunch. But I imagine you are a pretty good driver.

Menel - you've scared me now about lucid dreams! I'm almost always aware that I'm dreaming, and always have been since childhood! If a dream gets too scary I try to stop it (this doesn't always work). I didn't know this was lucid dreaming!
Old 02-23-2007, 04:14 PM   #635
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Still, it makes a change from always seeming to be in conflict with someone when I feature in people's dreams
Well at least you're there...I was quite excited to be *nearly* in Mith's dream....
Old 02-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #636
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Menel - you've scared me now about lucid dreams! I'm almost always aware that I'm dreaming, and always have been since childhood! If a dream gets too scary I try to stop it (this doesn't always work). I didn't know this was lucid dreaming!
Constant lucid dreaming typically damages the psyche. Your brain needs to flow it's own way. It knows what it's doing. After all, you don't tell you're lungs when to breathe, or your heart when to beat. However, lucid dreams are always remembered because your consiously aware of them, which isn't the case with typical REM, except in cases where you are near waking. (Most dreams are only a few seconds long in real time, though they may seem much longer in dream time. Also, many happen concurently, so if you recall a sudden shift of events in your dreams, it's probably multiple dreams happening one after another.)

Also, in lucid dreaming, you typically go about your normal day and only come to the realization that you're dreaming through some mistake in the "reality" of the dream world- changing text, time moving too fast, etc. So you may not be experiencing true lucid dreaming, but some form of sleep dysfunction. (No offense.)

There are methods which can allow a person to lucid dream by choice, and techniques which allow greater and greater mental control in lucid dreaming.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:57 PM   #637
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Didn't mean to scare you, Lalwendë. As far as I know, nothing's wrong with it. In fact, I wish it happened to me more often. You're pretty lucky to have the knack for it, by the way.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:08 AM   #638
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
Constant lucid dreaming typically damages the psyche... Most dreams are only a few seconds long in real time, though they may seem much longer in dream time.
We're studying dreaming in Psych at the moment? What makes you think lucid dreaming is bad for the psyche? I'm not sure we can determine this withour determining the purpose of dreams.

Also, we learnt that dreams happen in real time. They may feel like they're longer, but this happens because of jumps forward in dream-time to skip dull parts of the dream. Each minute of dreaming equates to one minute of sleep.

I had two BDs dreams last night.

Firstly, I dreamt of Guinevere. In my dream, she called my house and talked to me on the phone. She asked general questions like how I was and what I was doing, and we generally small-talked. She had moved to France and married a Frenchman. For some reason, she handed her phone over to her husband, but he spoke only in rapid French. I could only understand the odd word so after a few healf-hearted responses, I hung up on him. The phone call lasted 9 minutes.

The second dream was somewhat more surreal. I was in the fellowship (standing in for Gimli I think), and we were wandering around many locations, but it was some sort of game. Legolas and Aragorn were certainly there, and I think Gandalf was too, though there were no hobbits. Boromir had been replaced by a person who... well, it's hard to explain. He was Formendacil, but he looked like a guy in Meneltarmacil's avatar before, so he was also Menel. I'll call him Formenel.

So, Formenel was the worst member of the fellowship. We passed into what must have been Lorien, for there were many tall trees, on this rope paths above a deep drop. Formenel came last, and the elves holding the ropes taught wouldn't let go until he was half-way onto a log on the near side. They let the ropes slack much earlier for the rest of us, so they obviously didn't trust Formenel.

Then we all went off, with Formenel at the back. He poked his head into a hole in the ground, and an adder sprung out. He ran away, but it chased him, so he climbed a tree. The adder followed him up the tree too! But then we came back and helped him.

Then we all ran through Lorien. Formenel and I were at the back of the group. We decided as a joke to sneak up on and play-attack Aragorn and Legolas, but they somehow felt us coming and drew their swords mockingly as we came near.

Then we were at a hall. LMP was at the front, writing on a whiteboard; we were recapping what had happened in the game. LMP gave us an anagram of a character we had come across. I guessed it was 'social master', but it was actually 'illusion master;' he was some sort of hooded figure who had told us something or other near the beginning.

And, er, that's it. Somewhat bizarre, I admit, but not the weirdest thing my subconscious has come up with.

Also, in my previous post, I made a mistake in my and Oddwen's dream totals. This has been corrected.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #639
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I think what happened to me was more the near waking up/ooh this is wrong it must be a dream kind of thing. Not that I can claim my psyche is undamaged necessarily..... Also this dream was quite explainable. My goddaughter had just been to a Mud meet near London and I had been thinking that I must look into booking a hotel for the LOTR musical which I am going to with her... and I had also been thinking about Oxonmoot and possible Downer meetings ... just my brain recycling the day.......

Old 02-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #640
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWBS
We're studying dreaming in Psych at the moment? What makes you think lucid dreaming is bad for the psyche? I'm not sure we can determine this withour determining the purpose of dreams.
REM sleep, which is the part where we dream, occurs as the mind ascends through various stages of sleep, ie going from Stage 4 (the deepest level of sleep, aka the rest and repair stage) to stage 3, or even from Stage 2 to Stage 1 (the lightest level of sleep, or "half-asleep.") Typically, the subconscious mind is in control of REM. With lucid dreaming , the conscious mind is in control. REM sleep's exact purpose is not known, but it is known that a lack of REM sleep causes extreme aggression and irritability, and can lead to permamnent personality changes.

Lucid dreaming in and of itself is not dangerous, but doing it all the time can actually simulate a lack of REM, due to the lack of activity from the sunconscious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWBS
Also, we learnt that dreams happen in real time. They may feel like they're longer, but this happens because of jumps forward in dream-time to skip dull parts of the dream. Each minute of dreaming equates to one minute of sleep.
Quite different from what I learned, though it's been a year or two since then. However, keep in mind that psychological theory is constantly changing, (just think of Freud's ideas ) so this whole thing may be moot, and lucid dreaming may be better for you than regular dreaming, but that's not the theory I learned.

Hence why we say "practicing psychologist."

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote