Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2003, 09:52 PM   #41
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

I have sent pms to Meneltarmacil and Odin. I told Macil we would hold a spot open for him pending revision of his character.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:44 PM   #42
Kryssal
Wight

Kryssal has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Is there any particular race that needs another character?
Old 08-08-2003, 03:03 PM   #43
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dűm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

We could use a good ranger or warrior hillman. I think it would be too odd having you play a dwarf and a settler.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:18 PM   #44
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Here is the list so far:

SETTLERS:

5 Men of Gondor, Bree, or Rohan: settlers - can be any age and gender

Kryssal – Kaben Bieth
alaklondewen - Collothion (father) / Cuilad (son)

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

RANGERS OF THE NORTH

3 or 4 Dunedain – prefer male; one female possible - primarily hunters and fighters against Hillmen

Carrun – Awyrgan
TheLadyAerowen – Alearindu
Meneltarmacil – Thoronmir (please check your PM’s about revising your character)

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

HILLMEN

4 Hillmen: prefer male; one female possible – 3 warriors and possibly 1 priest

Osse – Bear
Tinuviel of Denton – Kestrel (female)

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

BUILDERS

3 Dwarves of the Blue Mountains: – all male – contracted to build Evendim Town

Varda – Therin
Himaran - Olin

The game still needs:

1 Dwarf of the Blue Mountains

2 Hillmen

1 Ranger (Dúnedan)

3 Settlers (Mannish Race) from Bree, Gondor, or Rohan

[ August 08, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-08-2003, 11:01 PM   #45
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Hey, still room for another on this really cool-sounding RPG?

Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES, Road to Erebor, Reclaiming the City, Truth in a Dark Place.

How Many RPGs are You Currently Involved In? 1- Restistance

Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – NO

NAME: Flech

RACE: Hillmen of Arnor

WEAPONS: Fletch carries a spear slung across his back and two pouches of poison darts.

APPEARANCE: Short and slight, Fletch doesn't truly resemble his hillmen brothers, but rather a severely starved dwarf. Yet he has the same scraggly hair, rough dark skin, and piercing black eyes.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Partially because of his physical stature, Fletch is a loner, even for a hillman. Preferring to rove from rocks and trees in the quiet of the woods, he doesn't have much tolerance for others, nor much sway over them. And maybe because of that, he bears a great hate both of himself and anyone in his way, yet also a great loyalty to those who win his respect. Fletch is deadly with darts and almost any ranged weapon he can lay his hands on, but near worthless in close quarter combat. And quiet as the hills he knows, and swifter of foot then many of his kin, it may not necessarily matter.

HISTORY: Fletch hard earned his place among the Hillmen of Wolf. Born to a common warrior who died when he was young, Fletch inherited nothing, save hardship and misery, and near starvation because of his form until he was old enough to prove his worth through trial and error as a spy against the rangers.
And now he roves aimlessly among the, for now, quiet landscape of Arnor, hunting and living alone where he may. When he does encounter other hillmen, it is only at call of Wolf and his brothers, who first gave him food in return for his information. Otherwise, he skirts all others, not speaking unless spoken to, not offering help or asking for it. Fletch works alone.

FIRST POST:
Dawn crept quietly over the hills and trees of Arnor, reflecting in the glassy blue lake as though it were a mirror to second world, seamless and unobstructed as the still water. Yet the sunrise reflected also in twin black eyes, pools as cold, glassy, and keen as the lake they watched in the early morning.

Knife had been right. They had appeared, and it didn't look like they would go away.

Fletch crept down to a lower rock and cursed as one of the circle of lone gray figures turned his way. Flech tensed behind his hiding place, straining to descry the spy he had aroused and be invisible at the same time. But, it was only a passing glance; And relaxing his small frame, he returned the little shaft he'd pulled from a pouch around his neck gingerly. Now his watery eyes swept the camp around the lake, full of tents, horses, untended firepits, dirty pots from the night before.

The whole scale of the invaders disrespect and sheer -there was no other word for it- defilement of their land, his land, made his blood seethe.

But Wolf and Bear would drive them away, Fletch soundly believed that. The night willing, they would drive the southmen away, and he had every intention of helping anyway he could. It would start this morning, Fletch thought as he made no sound heading back to report. Yes, it would start today, the sun and moon willing.
----------
Hope that works, this is really great RPG.
Arvedui

[ August 21, 2003: Message edited by: Arvedui III ]
Old 08-10-2003, 02:00 PM   #46
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

Ok, here's one other character that I've thought of, tell me if he's not needed anymore [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

NAME: Tane Arisn

RACE: Dunedan

WEAPONS: His pride weapon is bow that has seen one too many years for most fighters, but he still holds onto it. He also has a simple long sword with the only decoration being a faultily sketched crescent moon on the hilt and three stars descending the from the moon down the blade. Tane’s last weapon is a long knife that he keeps strapped to his left leg.

APPEARANCE: His shaggy dark brown hair goes about three to four inches past his shoulders, almost touching the bottom of his shoulder blades. Tane’s brown eyes are soft and calculating that notice many small details but seem to miss a lot of the underlying emotions of the people around him. He wears the usual garb of a Ranger, muted greens, browns, and greys.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Like all of the rangers he is fiercely loyal to his commander and King. He’s nice to most everyone and doesn’t tend to judge people until the show signs that they are unworthy; this has led him to problems in the past with sketchy individuals who kept up good facades. He works best with a bow, but is not the most accomplished in the group. Tane tries to disarm more than kill, but will kill if necessary or if he knows that his enemy is deserving of such a fate. Lately he has been having thoughts about trying to find a wife, but knows that with the life of a Ranger it is highly unlikely. He received a sword wound from the Battle of Pellenor Fields on the outside of his right thigh which acts up every once in awhile and can hinder his ability to run or crouch.

HISTORY: Tane grew up in a small village that was always under the protection of the Rangers, though the villagers didn’t know it until they were attacked one spring’s eve; the Rangers came in and saved them. Tane had been a boy at the time and had wanted to become one ever after. His father, a simple farmer, had supported him as much as possible. Tane trained for hours every day with an ex-soldier that had set out his retirement in the village. The old soldier had specialized in tracking and bow targeting; the young boy was a quick study that eagerly soaked up all the knowledge he could.

When he was 19 some Rangers came into town to get a few supplies that they were running low on, as they did from time to time, and Tane took his chances by asking to go with them. Two of them laughed and joked around with him, playfully acting as if they were entertaining a child. Another just watched him. Three days after they departed the three Rangers came back with a couple more companions. Tane was then given a series of interviews and tests. He fumbled badly over several of them, but was apparently found worthy despite his faults.

In the Rangers he has mostly been a scout and watcher more than a diplomat or warrior. He has shared in the bloodshed though, and never shirked when needed.

FIRST POST:

The wild men seemed to be moving in and out of their camps by ones and twos a lot lately and the leader was in a foul mood. They hadn’t done anything that caused him much alarm, so Tane didn’t race to report yet. Something was definitely agitating the group though. He squinted to see the individuals better from his hiding place.

Tane wasn’t worried. If something had happened he was sure that Thorgil had known it before. He, however, did not need to sit and watch the wild men any longer. Looking over his back he could see his replacement coming through the hills. Backing out of his hiding place among some sparse brush, he walked down and over to where he had made his small camp for the past night. He packed up the small belongings he had taken with him and saddled up his horse Skit. He smiled at the memory of when he was given the horse from his father when he first set off with the Rangers. It had cost his father a lot to give him this one last present and Tane had let his little sister name the beast. She had giggled and said, “Well, he is rather skittish isn’t he?”

Brushing away the memories he greeted the replacement with a raised hand.

“Hoi, what news with the wild men?” said Ethiner as he reached the camp.

“They’ve been moving about a little more seemingly rechecking something and the leader is more troubled than usual. Do you know what’s bothering them so?” Tane responded as Ethiner dismounted and came over to the cold fire where Tane was standing.

“Aye, a large group of settlers has come in and decided to make the lake shore their new home. Thorgil is going to put in a few permanent posts at the village, young Alearindu and old Awyrgan are going there now.”

Tane smiled, “Wouldn’t think of Awyrgan in a village, would you?" the two men shared a smile. "Well, we all have our place. Good watching,” and he mounted in one fluid motion and gave a type of salute to the Ranger taking up his post who nodded in reply. Then he turned Skit into the right direction and started off, anxious to see and learn more about this new settlement.

[ August 14, 2003: Message edited by: Kryssal ]
Old 08-13-2003, 11:29 AM   #47
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

I think I'll hold the settler in reserve, at least until there are a few more people who try for a role.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:51 AM   #48
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

OK, as per Susan Delgado's instructions, I revised my character. Here he is again.
Character Description Form:
Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? No.

How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? None.

Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? Yes, in the Green Dragon

For your character please include:

NAME: Thoronmir

RACE: Human (Dunedain)

WEAPONS: 1 longsword, a longbow and 30 arrows, a belt knife

APPEARANCE: About 6 feet tall, reddish brown hair, blue eyes, wears a dark green cloak, rides a brown horse

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Good with a sword. Is haunted by his memories of his friends dying in the War of the Ring, and dislikes war, but considers it his duty to fight for a just cause.

HISTORY: Thoronmir grew up in the hills of Evendim along with several of his friends who also became rangers. He accompanied Aragorn to the battle of the Pelennor Fields,where he saw most of his friends die. He fought at the Morannon afterward, and ever since then, he has been haunted by memories of war and only wants a quiet place where he can live in peace and forget about everything.

FIRST POST: The sun was just beginning to creep over the horizon when Thoronmir woke along with the other rangers in their camp. He had breakfast along with the others, and reported in to the meeting with Thorgil and the other leaders. "As some of you may know," Thorgil had been saying, "there is a new settlement being built on the shores of the lake." Thoronmir nodded, having already noticed the large number of people who had been gathering on the shore along with the supplies for the new colony. "Awyrgan and Alearindu have already volunteered to stay with the settlers to protect them. I am going to need more volunteers to scout out the surrounding hills for the hillmen's strongholds."
"I'll volunteer," said Thoronmir. "I'm already familiar with the area."

And that is how he found himself in the southern hills of Evendim several days later.

He awoke one morning to the rising of the sun in the east. fastened his sword to his belt, threw on his cloak, and strapped on his pack, bow, and quiver of arrows. He got on his horse and rode off down the trail toward where he had spotted the hillmen the day before. He had not had much luck finding the hillmen's strongholds until the last couple of days, when he had begun following the group he had seen. If he was lucky, they would probably lead him right to a major stronghold.

When he arrived at the camp, he found that the hillmen had already left; only a few blackened stones were left to show where they had made a fire. Thoronmir dismounted and examined the ground carefully for signs of where the hillmen had gone. He found what looked like trampled undergrowth going in a regular path to the southwest. Thoronmir remounted his horse and started following the new path.

[ August 13, 2003: Message edited by: Meneltarmacil ]
Old 08-13-2003, 02:19 PM   #49
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Just to say, I'm happy to play a 2nd character of whatever type if no one else comes forward.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:46 PM   #50
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Thank you, Meneltarmacil. That is much better. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2003, 01:51 PM   #51
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

TheLadyAerowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheLadyAerowen
Silmaril

Eh, I hope this is fine ^_^'

I -may- be gone August 17th to the 25th. I have that first post ready...worse comes to worse it'll be one week without a post from me.

Hope we at least get all the characters needed soon!

-The Lady Aerowen
Old 08-21-2003, 12:02 PM   #52
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

Thank you very much, Piosenniel and Child of the Seventh Age, for facilitating this move.

Gamers who have come over from The Shire: some of you are already on the list of Rohan gamers. Others of you are not. Those who are not have been given a 'pass' to play this game out here in recognition of the work they did creating their character and first post. The game co-owners will work with you (as with all the gamers) to help make this a great RPG.

And, Writers of the Mark, there are roles still to be filled in this game, from a wide range of interests: Hillman (oohh, baddies--or are they?), settlers (happy campers or squatters on others' territory?), dwarves (always inveterate traders, some scope for comedy here?), and Rangers (are they peacemakers or cops?).

Fighting! Negotiating! Exploring! Love and hate! This game has it all. It is a game as big as the rolling plains of Rohan itself.

I am really excited to be a part of it.

Bęthberry

[ August 22, 2003: Message edited by: Bęthberry ]
Old 08-21-2003, 01:52 PM   #53
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Well, who could resist a game like this? I can´t! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I´d be delighted if you would consider these characters...I´ve submitted two, but am willing to cut Ciana (the second one) out if it´s too much. I just wasn´t sure.

Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES – Roll out the Barells, The Hobbits Gift, Quest for the Ainereg, In War, Corsairs and Corsets, Swan Wood....is that all?

Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES– both

Name: Aleitha
Race: Human (settler)
Weapons: none... well, maybe that she knows people so well
Short physical description: She looks a bit plain with her “dishwasher-blonde” hair down to her waist. She tends to just losly pull it together in a ponytail or braids. Secretly, she loves to let her hair open, let it fly everywhere....but she hardly dares, finding it impractical and somewhat vulgar. Her eyes are blue-grey, she has a quiete sort of smile and is rather short. What is beautiful about her is he voice: strong, clear and full. Needless to say, Aleitha loves to sing.

Backround/Motivation/Character: Aleitha married her first love when she was 20. Her parents have never forgiven her she disobeyed them, and she hasn´t seen them since. At first she didn´t mind this, being in love with her husband Theidion and, soon afterwards, preoccupied with her daughter Ciana (now 15). The two of them have a very close and special relationship, especially as Ciana is Aleitha´s only child. Theidion, however; turned away from his family and started “amusing” himself abroad. Aleitha knows of his affairs, and she hates it but, without her parents and no friends abroad she has no place to go. Besides, it all seemes a bit too risky to her, not well planned or anything. But when she finds out Theidion´s current girlfriend has given birth to a baby boy, things change. She notices she doesn´t love him, not at all. and she decides to radically change her life. Ciana is fifteen years old, old enough for a new start. And so the two women left Minas Tirith behind for a new start. The journey, though it was hard for them, was survivable. Alethia is a good dressmaker and is palnning to open a family business in their new home.
Aleitha is a woman who will wait for ages before actually doing something. She values safety and having things planned out. She approaches every action with rational thought, and seldomly gives way to what her heart truly wants. She has a tendency to put others in front of herself, and to please everyone at once. In the end, this does no one any good, least of all herself. Aleitha keeps her opinion to herself, and doesn´t like to talk freely about her problems. When things are going extremly bad, she will rather joke about it than actually say what´s going on. You need to know her very well to tell how she really is feeling. Aleitha faces problems by either ignoring them or trying to argue them away. If that doesn´t work, she tries to find the solution that seems best to her- but usually isn´t. She will bite her teeth out on details instead of focusing on the bigger picture.
Nevertheless; Aleitha is also a good and spirited companion. To some extend, new things challenge her and she is very helpful. People come to her whenever they have a problem, or if the just want to talk. Aleitha will make a cup of tea and listen, drying tears and making jokes at just the right people. She has a good knowledge of people and can feel out their emotions.

~*~*~*~*
...and her daughter

Name: Ciana
Race: Human
Weapons: Crossbow skills- but she doesn´t have one (yet?)
Short physical description: Ciana is tall, taller than her mother already. She has honey-colored hair, her mother´s sea-grey eyes. Her smile is wide open and friendly, her checks rosy and her legs long. She ´s a blooming flower at fifteen.

Backround/Motivation/Character: Nothing, not even her mother´s protectiveness could stop Ciana to live most of her childhood in the streets of Minas Tirith. She didn´t like being at home, trapped between her parents´ failed marriage, her father´s often absence and her mother´s denying self. Ciana ran wild, playing hopscotch and tag, learning how to shoot a crossbow from a retired ranger, and how to tell fortune from a strange Old Lady she calls Birdie.
Ciana longs for freedom, both mentally and physically. She´s not a tomboy, she just can´t stand being at home, just embroidering or spinning. She enjoys exploring new things and meets everything with a childlike curiosity. Unlike her mother she solves problems right away, though her ways may not be all that conventional. But as she grew older, she noticed to all things can be solved like that: her parent´s marriage, for example. Ciana has never really had a relationship with her father, and now she despises him, for what he´s done to her mother, but also because he didn´t have the courage to tell her mother any of this. Ciana´s one of those “spotlight” people- she captures your attention, but she also pulls it all to herself. Popular, but a bit exausting at times, she has the restless energy of a twp-year-old, a tounge faster than a racing horse and a special thing for gossip. A good mixture? Maybe. But definatly an entertaining one.
For her, the journey noth was fun and adventorus, though also harsh. She looks forward to start a new life, and can´t wait to show people what her dreams are made of.

Other- two words: Romance Possible

edit: Oh no. I´ve deleted the first post. I´ll see how much I can remember and post here ASAP, okay? Sorry!

[ August 21, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 08-21-2003, 09:46 PM   #54
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Yay! The game's in Rohan now. Great! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Belin: As per requested, my profile's been updated. Hope that works (again).

Arvedui
Old 08-22-2003, 05:47 AM   #55
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Ibai – From what I understand, you are still short on one Hill-man. I hope this seems appropriate, although please do send any corrective comments you may have. If you feel that Calem is an unsuitable or too challenging a prospect for this game, please say, and I shall not be in the least offended.

If you approve, please do read the Note underneath his History.

Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES/NO - Which one?

Yes – Rohan RPG, My Crow Management, Revenge of the Entish Bow, The Saving of the Seventh Star, The Seventh Star (assorted sub-plots as Innkeeper). Moderator of Gondor.

Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES/NO – Which one?

Yes – The White Horse. Additional posts in The Seventh Star of Gondor.

NAME: Calem

RACE: Men (Hill-men)

WEAPONS : None.

APPEARANCE: Calem is of an above-average height, but stoops, and has a slight hunch. His arms and legs however, are thick and potentially powerful. He is balding from the front, which leads many to suspect he is older than the foolish child his face suggests. Some developmental difficulties have caused his walk to be ungainly, and his facial muscles to be not wholly developed, which can cause people to find him distasteful to look at. Calem has never been fastidious about personal hygiene, and since his mother’s death, none have shown an interest. To put it bluntly, Calem reeks, and is filthy.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Calem is a mute, and what the people of the Hills call a Stonehead, for he is not wise and he is not capable of great understanding. He can make affirmatives and negatives quite clear, but few would count him among the great conversationalists of the era. For all his apparent stupidity, Calem is loyal, especially to those that show him kindness and there have been very few of these in the rough company of the Hill-men.

HISTORY: Calem is hated and feared amongst the Hill-men. Hated for what they perceive as his retarded nature and gruesome appearance. Feared for what happened when he was angered. The tale is still told, but out of earshot, for no-one truly knows what he can and cannot understand of human speech.

A fierce territorial dispute amongst factions of the Hill-men many years ago had ended in his mother being grievously hurt, and later dying. She had been a refugee from Calambel, far to the South, from whence Calem drew his name, and she had been running for months when the Hill-men found her and the child, both close to death, over thirty years ago, although the Hill-men were not greatly accurate in their measuring of time.

Calem had witnessed the events, and despite never having entered into the social fabric of the Hill-men before, shunned as he was for his perceived disabilities, rose with a growl and struck at the man who had wounded his mother. Before any could stop him, he had pounded the man to death, and it took five of them to bludgeon the thickset Calem to the ground.

The Hill-men did not kill him there and then for the promise their chief had given to his mother. She had been skilled in certain arts of healing, and had found favour that way within the community. Bound by their oaths, none dared to strike Calem dead, but he was spurned by nearly all, and beaten by a few, although they kept him fed and watered. His strength was often useful, and he was placid so long as he was not threatened. The current chief Wolf, keeps Calem around and does not allow him to be too badly treated, although even he cannot bear to be too near the oafish man.

NOTE TO OTHER PLAYERS: Should Calem be accepted as a character, there is an important point to be made as to how other characters might react to him. As enlightened contemporary thinkers, you may find yourself drawn to make your character sympathetic and understanding towards Calem. Perhaps you feel that your character should pity him for what they perceive as his alien and disabled nature.

This would not be the way in such a society as the Hill-men. He would be loathed and feared, as one tainted by the dark gods and powers. Indeed, some of the more superstitious may believe him to be a sort of demon or warning from a god.

It is important to remember that no-one will think the worse of you if your character detests Calem and treats him badly – it is not a reflection on you or your attitudes, but an examination of a different culture and a more primitive method of thinking.

First post:

Calem was cold and miserable. He had wanted to watch the strange newcomers arrive. Instead, Wolf had told him to sit by the riverbank and catch some fish. Calem knew there were no fish at this part of the stream, it was too shallow and rocky, little more than a trickle at times.

He could smell the fires of the newcomers on the air and tasted food on the air. He was hungry. He would return to the others and see if they would throw him something to eat. There were no fish here.

He lurched to his feet and moved forwards, his left leg as ever dragging slightly behind him. Overlong and under-muscled, it caused him great frustration as he could only move very slowly and awkwardly. When he tried to run, he fell and struck his head. He bore the bruises, cuts and untended scrapes to prove this. Some of the cuts on his hands had festered in the dirt and grime and sores had cracked open. Calem had not noticed these for some time.

He was still hungry and the others seemed no closer. He grunted and kept his head down. The others did not like to see his slack-muscled, twisted face, or especially the deep-set, squinting eyes. He hoped they had not drunk tonight. He rarely got food if they were drinking. He wanted to go back to the village. He did not know why Wolf had made him come.

He was still hungry. He growled as he struggled up over a small ridge. He would be at the others soon. Perhaps they would not mind that he had not brought them fish.

[ August 22, 2003: Message edited by: Rimbaud ]
Old 08-22-2003, 09:14 PM   #56
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Hi everyone and thanks for sticking with us through the move. Manardariel, your characters look interesting and we needed some female settlers, welcome aboard!

Rim, wonderful to see you!! Thanks for putting up such a bold and complicated character. I look forward to hearing from Ibai about it soon. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2003, 11:34 PM   #57
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

"Well, I'm back."

Yes yes. I am back. I had over 120 e-mails total with two boxes. The insanity.

Well, I, per usual, hope to get started soon ;P

-The Lady Aerowen
Old 08-27-2003, 12:49 PM   #58
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I´m exepted? Awesome! Okay, here´s the first post...I wasn´t sure on the settlers´ situation, so if anything isn´t what you intended, just tell me! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

edit: X-Phial pointed out some things to me, so here´s an editedversion..hope it´s ok!

First Post for Aletha and Ciana

“Mother, look! Isn´t it gorgeous?” Ciana twirled around, her long braids falling around her. The setting sun was illuminating Lake Evendim, making it shine and glimmer under it´s green waters. Ciana did a cartwheel in the sand of the shore, her hands prickeling with exitement. They were here. After a long, wearying journey north, they had finally arrived in their new town, Evendim. Their new home.
Aletha smiled as she watched her daughter´s exitement. She was glad to have arrived, though Evendim wasn´t nearly as promising as it had sounded in Minas Anor. But at least she was free here, free to do whatever she wanted, start a new life. A new life. The sound, and the possibilty frightened her. Could she give up on being who she was in order to start a “new life”? Ciana could. The girl was talking less and less about the White City each day, she had even come to refer to their primitive wooden cabin by the lake as “home”. Aletha sighed. What was she doing here, in the wild? Did she belong here?
The truth was, Aletha didn´t know- and she didn´t want to, either. But what she did know was that whatever life had in place for them here, it was better what it had been at home.

“Ciana,” she called, “come on here. Dinner´s ready.”

Ciana got up and walked over to Aletha who had set up a fire before their small tent. Her eyes were shining full of exitement. Being out here was just wonderful. This is the kind of life I was made for! Not a boring life in a boring city- exitement, the wild, that´s where I belong! She looked around at the Lake, the colony of settlers. Families were eating, men fishing, children playing tag between plan wagons and tentds. They had arrived barely an hour ago. People were making plans for their houses, chatting happily about rooms, stables and working areas. Ciana sighed. Neither her mother nor herself had ever tried building something, let alone a house! But that was a worry for tomorrow. Tonight, they would spent another night in their tent. And it woldn´t be the last one...

Ciana joined her mother around the small fire. Evenings were friendly up north, though the weather was much harsher than down in Gondor. But the evenings were warm, and to Ciana and Aletha, that was a gift: they didn´t own a wagon, only thick woolen blankets, a small tent and the grass below them. That was their bed, and so it had been for the past weeks of traveling. They would be spending their time outdoors anyways, even later one when they did have a house. Here, they had sun and stars over their head, and other settlers to chat with if they wanted. Ciana looked up at her mother, grinning.

“So,” she said. “What next?” It wasn´t a question, not really. It was more an invitation to pull out an expected gift or idea. Aletha shrank together before her daughter. The truth was, she had no such present.

“I don´t know, honey. I thought things would settle themselves when we got hzere. I thought, we would have helpers, thought there´d be more people like us. People who don´t have a clue about the wild. I thought we´d manage...I think I was wrong.”
Horrified, Ciana jumped up. “You weren´t wrong, mother. We are managing. We have a tent, and blankets. We have enough to eat. We have friends. We perfectly fine. What did you expect this to be, a picnic?” Aletha smiled at her big girl, who always seemed to find the right words.

“We´ll manage,” she said, her voice louder as usual. “We´ll be fine.”

[ August 28, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 08-28-2003, 01:50 PM   #59
Belin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

With the acceptance of Rimbaud's fabulous character to the game, our quota of Hillmen is filled. I must say I'm very pleased, and hope the game starts soon. This is going to be a good one.

We're still looking for a dwarf, some settlers, and maybe a ranger. Come one, come all, to the North Kingdom's fall.

--Belin Ibaimendi

(Oh, and btw, Himaran....
Quote:
His overcautiousness borders on paranoia, and Belin keeps his various weapons near him at all times.
...I assure you that I do no such thing. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

[ August 28, 2003: Message edited by: Belin ]
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 08-28-2003, 02:04 PM   #60
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Thank you for approving my character, X! I'm glad I got back from vacation in time to participate! Well, I guess I'm grabbing the last spot for a Dwarf (a new race for me to play):

Barzűn's Information:

Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES – Castle Maladil, Ride to the Dark Side, An Audience with the King, Roll Out the Barrels, those are the only ones that I remember off the top of my head or that have made it to Elvenhome (my memory is going at the age of sixteen).

How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? – Two: Brotherhood of the Last Alliance and The Threat of the Trees

Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES – Both, only the White Horse at the moment

NAME: Barzűn

RACE: Dwarf

WEAPONS (No magical, super-hero, mithril weapons. Just good solid Middle-earth weapons and armor only that is appropriate to the race of the character and the time period.): The old axe that used to belong to his father. He has used it a few times against Orcs, but has not used it against any other race. He is more familiar with tools of building than tools of warfare.

APPEARANCE: Barzűn has a long beard that nearly reaches his knees. He used to have red hair, but now it is mostly silver. He keeps it braided. He is about 4’6” with the typical stocky build of Dwarves. He has medium brown eyes. His face has gained wrinkles over the years from scowling at workers that shun responsibility and hard physical labor.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: (No half-Elven characters. No mixed-type characters. No super-heroes. No assassins. No one all powerful, martial arts proficient, or having any magical traits. Just regular characters with normal abilities for their races only): Barzűn is a diligent worker who worked his way up to his position. He is a tough Dwarf to work under, but it is only because he is determined to finish what he starts. He expects those below him to respect the authority he has worked hard to earn, and does not like his workers talking back to him. As hard as he works though, when a job is finished, Barzűn is fully ready to sit back for a little bit, smile, laugh, and enjoy the work that he completed. He is very wary and distrustful of any race but that of the Dwarves, and he holds to the old ways, hating especially Elves and not caring for Men at all. Tradition is one of the most important things, according to Barzűn. His methods of construction and his morals are very traditional and younger Dwarves may even call him old-fashioned.

HISTORY: Barzűn was born and lived all his life in the Blue Mountains. His father was a builder as well, and his father’s father before him. He was taught the life of a builder and knew nothing else. He fought Orcs on more than one occasion, but he does not know much of fighting Barzűn has three sons, Turgin, Zurkin, and Nargin, all three of which are back at home looking after business.

Barzűn was not happy at the thought of leaving the Blue Mountains to come help Men rebuild. He was not at all fond of Men and the idea of helping humans was not a good idea in his opinion. However, his superiors along with his sons had pushed for him to come to build. He will be especially distrustful of the men he meets, especially if they mention good relations with Elves or remind him of Elves in any way. Although he has never met an Elf, he holds serious grudges against them.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
FIRST POST:
Barzűn left his tent, still strapping his axe to his side. The sun was rising and Barzűn had to go to work. For Men. Barzűn grumbled, complaining that the Dwarves never needed help and that Men must be weak to need to call on others for aid. But then again, the Dwarves were the best at this work. Barzűn just hoped that there would not be any Elves around. The thought of Elves made Barzűn start grumbling again. Awful creatures, these Elves, so full of their own virtue and self-righteousness, always thinking that they were the best.

Barzűn went about looking for the other Dwarves. They had to get an early start, and Barzűn did not want any laziness in his camp. That kind of behavior would not be tolerated. Whether his workers were Dwarves or Men, if it came to having Men help labor, Barzűn would not tolerate slacking on the job. When the job was over, then people could be merry and have their parties. Barzűn, himself, liked a nice celebration now and then as well as the next Dwarf, but it was a matter of priorities. The Dwarves had pledged a few of their kind to help build this Evendim.

A small child bumped into Barzűn. Even though he was a small child to the Men, he was already up to Barzűn’s shoulder. Barzűn swore at the child who ran away before Barzűn could scold him. Barzűn scowled a bit. It would be twice as hard to try to construct with all of these children around. He hoped the women took care that the small ones did not get in the way once the actual building started. They would have casualties due to accidents if that were the case. Barzűn would make sure that those casualties were not Dwarves.

Some Men greeted Barzűn, giving him a “Good morning”, while others just shot him curious looks. Barzűn grunted in response to the first greeting and just glared back when given the second. Children ran around everywhere as Mothers tried to either call them in for breakfast or just try to gain control of the wild young Humans. Barzűn’s glares managed to keep the children from barreling into him too much in their play.

Humans everywhere, but where were the Dwarves? Barzűn continued to walk and look around. He saw a few Dwarves sitting together eating breakfast. Barzűn’s stomach rumbled as he saw the Dwarves. The first trace of a smile touched his lips when he smelled the food and heard the Dwarves speaking. He forced the smile off his lips and crossed to the Dwarves. No need to show them any weakness on the first day of work.

He spoke to the Dwarves, forcing a more serious demeanor than even he felt. They spoke of work and of building. Finally, one offered him a seat and some breakfast, which Barzűn quickly accepted. He sat down to eat, giving one last glare to a very small child who stopped to stare at the Dwarves, obviously never having seen a Dwarf in his life before. The child went wide-eyed at the glare and ran off to play with the other children again.
Old 08-29-2003, 05:50 AM   #61
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Thank you for your gracious acceptance of Calem, ladies, and I look forward to the time when we shall begin the story.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:40 AM   #62
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Thanks to everyone for their patience with us and the long road to starting. I know it's been tough, but for our efforts we have an excellent game cast and are ready to begin. Welcome aboard Vanima. We can start with the current people. If anyone wants to add a ranger or a settler, they are welcome to, however. In order to allow some time, we will be starting the game on Saturday. Gamers, start your engines.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:54 AM   #63
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

I am sorry, but I will be going on a trip this weekend and will not be back until Monday [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]. Don't hold up the beginning of the game though, I'll just add my posts starting then. I'm really looking forward to this! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2003, 04:08 PM   #64
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

I am very happy to see this game about to start. You've had a long wait, but the story is good. I am proud to be part of this game.

Would the game owners decide amongst themselves who will open the game thread with the first post? And if you have a preferred order for the first posts, please describe that order here?

Remember, please disable your sigs for the game posts.

Bęthberry
Old 08-30-2003, 06:10 PM   #65
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Bb will be starting the game thread. Please go and copy/paste your own first post into the game thread. I ask that people in each category wait for their team leader to post before placing their posts. So, settlers and dwarves can post any time after I do, Rangers after Susan has posted, and Hillmen after Belin has done so. Those are the only resrictions, though I do ask that people read the posts and place their own posts intelligently. I trust you all to know where your post fits. Thanks!

[ August 30, 2003: Message edited by: The X Phial ]
Old 09-01-2003, 08:55 PM   #66
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Sorry; I was also on a trip Friday-Monday and forgot to post about it. I'm back now, for a long while I think. ^_^'

-The Lady Aerowen
Old 09-02-2003, 07:51 AM   #67
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Hi all, good placing thus far! Thanks to all. Just a reminder, we need to remove our signatures from posts in the game thread. I noticed a few signatures still on posts and I need everyone to check and edit them out. Thanks very much!
Old 09-02-2003, 01:10 PM   #68
Dűrlossiel
Haunting Spirit

Dűrlossiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is a notice from Tinuviel.

She has been grounded for a week and will not be able to get on until Monday evening the 8th of September. She asked me to say you can do whatever you need with her character. She also askes that Belin paste her first post when it needs to be on.

Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend; inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:34 PM   #69
Belin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmaril

Done. Thanks for letting us know when she'll be back.

--Belin Ibaimendi
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 09-03-2003, 08:05 PM   #70
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

I hope it was alright that I put both of my posts in together since I too was on vacation till monday and couldn't get them in before.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:16 AM   #71
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

In no way impugning the ability of any writer here to explain who and what their characters are about, I have a small suggestion, in the interests of clarity.

Perhaps, at least until we are all more familiar with charcter's names and where each group is, each poster could preface their post with the title of their group, be it Hillmen or Rangers and so forth.

It is my thought that this would make it easier for us to follow each thread distinctly, at least until, as I say, we are all more familiar with who-is-doing-what and the threads intermingle to a greater extent.

Let me know what you think, boss-ladies.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:48 PM   #72
Belin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmaril

I have put up the first post by Bear because Osse has been having computer troubles but should be back online by tomorrow and posting regularly.

On behalf of all us boss-ladies, Rim, your suggestion, while it does give me AAwtK flashbacks, seems like a good idea, at least at the beginning of the game (perhaps it could be dropped later on?).

All first posts are now up. Plot plans coming shortly.

--Belin Ibaimendi

[ September 07, 2003: Message edited by: Belin ]
Old 09-07-2003, 09:25 AM   #73
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Another suggestion for consideration--

It might also be helpful if one of the kind boss-ladies would provide a list here of all the gamers, their characters, and their group. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2003, 05:46 PM   #74
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Settlers
Borgand – The X Phial
Calumdril – Bethberry
Kaben Bieth – Kryssal
Collothion/ Cuilad – Alaklondewen
Aleitha/Ciana – Manardariel

Dwarves
Therin - *Varda*
Olin – Himaran
Barzun - VanimaEdhel

Rangers
Thorgil – Susan Delgado
Awyrgan (Encaitar) – Carrun
Alearindu – TheLadyAerowen
Thoronmir – Meneltarmacil
Tane Arisn – Kryssal

Hillmen
Wolf – Belin
Bear – Osse
Kestrel – Tinuviel of Denton
Fletch – Arvedui III
Calem – Rimbaud
Old 09-08-2003, 09:47 PM   #75
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

I'd like to thank Belin for putting my post up, and let everyone know that I'm back. So sorry that I got myself grounded just as the game started.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:18 AM   #76
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Posts so far:

X - Settlers
Bb - Settlers
Ala - Settlers
Manar - Settlers
Varda - Dwarves
Susan - Rangers
Belin - Hillmen
Carrűn - Rangers
Vani - Dwarves
Rimsky - Hillmen
Menel - Rangers
Arvedui - Hillmen
Lady A - Rangers
Tinu - Hillmen
Kryssal - Settlers (Do you have a Ranger character too?)
Menel - Rangers (2nd post)
Himaren - Dwarves
Osse - Hillmen

Which looks like we have a first post from everyone; time for another round it would seem, boss-ladies. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2003, 04:47 PM   #77
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

Yes, I do have a Ranger(Tane) character along with a settler(Kaben).
Old 09-11-2003, 06:06 PM   #78
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Oh, when I said that bit about the hillwoman noticing me in my last post I was implying that it was Tinuviel of Denton's character.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:54 PM   #79
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I posted! I posted! And pardon my real-life obligations: they've decided that junior year should start with a bang (and by "bang", I mean three hours of homework on the first day of school). I don't know how much I'll be able to post, but I'll try my hardest!
Old 09-13-2003, 09:20 PM   #80
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Settlers

Here is an idea to get us working together, and our characters looking forward to something.

While the wall is being put up, the settlers can work together building the town's hall (or another public building). When the building is finished, they can have a celebration!

The celebration might be an appropriate time for the Hillmen to raid the camp.

What do you think, and are there any other suggestions?