The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #761
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Why did I (and the wolves) pick Bane? Well, there was the way he sort of quietly encouraged others to suspect Pom, while keeping out of the thick of the argument. And he actually talked about being "the cleverest troll of all" in his opening banter post. Not something an experienced Seer would do of course, unless as a double-bluff– but he was a newbie. I wasn't at all sure he was the real thing, but I didn't think the wolves would dare pass it up.

That, by the way, was why I found Rikae's argument on Day 3 suspicious– I knew the wolves had been gunning for the Seer even on Night One!

Kath– sorry for voting you at the last, but I couldn't be around later, and I simply couldn't make up my mind about Sally. And you were the only other real possibility. I did have an idea of seeing whether either of you would have a betraying reaction (including a Sallywolf suddenly switching targets to you). Yes, this was a nasty gamble, but in the end I knew it would come down to Nog's vote, and I basically trusted him by then.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #762
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
That was an intense game, and I am glad it is done and we succeeded!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #763
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Coppermirror is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Congratulations, my fellow trolls!

And a very impressive game from the wizards. Sally kindly filled me in on her role after I got killed off, so I was watching with great curiosity to see how the rest of the game would play out.

Alas, I was not much help this game, except as wizard-bait on Day 1. The last Day I voted, I voted for Morsul rather than Nog because I thought that there was a Norsul-Nog pack going on and that if I was wrong, an innocent Morsul's death would mean that an Inzilgast was more likely and that an innocent Nog's death might not be so informative. And then I didn't manage to vote for Inzil after all.

It was very interesting to play in such a large game. I really had trouble keeping track of everyone. I have to hand it to the wolves for actually choosing Brin by dice roll. That is some amazing luck. Oh, and the mod narrations were great!

I'm going to try sending some rep to people. Haven't tried that before, so I hope it works.
Coppermirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #764
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sally, if you had turned out innocent I would've had to smack you for going after Rikae like that.

So yeah, Rikae was my Night 1 dream. I tried to make that apparent by giving the clearest opinion of her on Day 1. I also made the subtlest of clues by spelling out 'ordo' with the first letters of the first four sentences in my first post. Not that I was expecting anyone to catch it; it was something I would've used to refer back to in case there was a false reveal.

Sorry if you guys thought I was too subtle with my hints. Then again I can't help but wonder if the wizards managed to catch onto them because Greenie was my Night 2 dream. Going back to some of the things I said about her:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinn Day 2
Greenie: Voted for McCaber. I think she's the only McCaber voter who had some reservations about him from an earlier post (before his vote). Based on her reasoning and interactions with McCaber, her vote does look like an honest one to me. So far, I'm thinking she looks more on the innocent side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinn Day 2
So far
Looking Innocentish
Sally
Rikae
Copper
Greenie
Shasta

Feeling Okay About
McCaber
Inzil
Loslote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinn Day 3
Not worried about
Rikae: Just looks like a frustrated ordo.
Copper: As already stated, I'm still thinking that Pom's vote was probably not wolf-on-wolf.
Greenie: I'm feeling good about her posts toDay. They seem well thought-out and logical enough.
Shasta: Hope he shows up toMorrow.
Inzil: His Day 1 vote makes him look more innocent and he hasn't said anything to change my opinion of that.
Loslote: Already was leaning innocent because of her Day 1 vote, plus I like what she's said toDay and agree with a lot of it.
Bane: Will probably be modfired.
Sally: I suppose there's always the possibility she's a very sneaky wizard who threw her mate under the bus, but I see no reason to suspect her.
Boromir: Still not sure about him, but I like what he's said toDay.
Nerwen: Like Rikae, looks more like a frustrated innocent.
Compared to the unknowns who looked innocentish at the time, I kept her on the most innocent section of my lists both Days and like Rikae, focused more on stating her genuine behavior for innocence. With the others I used their voting history more as reasons and also tried to emphasize some uncertainty (hence all those 'buts' Greenie mentioned). The wizards killed Greenie the Night after me, so I don't know if they maybe caught onto this or if it was just a coincidence.

What might have thrown you all off is that you were looking for a Night 3 dream that didn't exist. I did dream, but it was Volo, which was utterly useless. How on earth was I supposed to hint that my dream was dead without being completely obvious? I couldn't figure that one out.

Funny thing is that I had this gut feeling during Night 4 that I was gonna get killed. It didn't hit me until after deadline, and I didn't have a good reason why to feel that way. I just felt maybe I looked more seerish than everyone else...but then of course I'd think that because I know I'm the seer. After my death, I thought maybe I was too obvious, but then the village spoke otherwise, so I hoped maybe I was right after all about Gil, which I wasn't. And now I find out it was completely random? Well, that's just my luck...

Btw, my Night 4 dream was Nogrod. I initially thought I would dream Gil, but then I was concerned about how potentially dangerous an evil Nogrod could be. The situation was that either both of them were evil, one was evil, or neither were evil. At the time, I was thinking more likely the second option, but in case they were both innocent, I figured it'd be more helpful to trust Nogrod, which is why I dreamt him. Not that it mattered since I died (but thankfully he didn't become a lynch candidate).

I must say how frustrating it was from a dead seer's perspective, to see so many villagers seem convinced that I must have dreamt a wizard simply because I suspected a couple people. Sally was actually the one who caught onto my hint that indicated I didn't:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinn
Less than three hours left, and I still don't feel like a strong lynch candidate has been brought forward. I'm going to have to go back through this thread and take a closer look.
At that moment I thought, thank goodness someone noticed it. Finally, a villager who's paying attention. After Greenie died, I realized maybe it's the baddies who are the ones paying closer attention to my posts...

I did enjoy watching the game to come up with my own conclusions (of course being dead, I didn't put too much thought into it). Once Gil turned up innocent, I thought it was probably time to re-evaluate things. If I were alive, McCaber and Inzil were two I would've taken a closer look at since I found them most questionable. Especially McCaber after his postmortem analysis of me, which I found suspicious. Sally I knew just had to be evil after she suddenly jumped on Rikae. The forcefulness of her attack seemed too crazy for an innocent to do, but made perfect sense for a wizard.

Okay, I admit I was kind of a lousy seer. In my defense, it's my first traditional game in almost three years and even longer since I've been a seer...so maybe I'm a bit rusty.

Overall, it was a great game which stayed interesting to the end. Kudos to Loslote and Nerwen who excelled in their roles. It was a great effort from the baddies who probably would've won if McCaber hadn't been hunted (his death certainly shed some light on Day 1). And of course good work to the ordos who managed to figure it out at the end.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #765
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Go village!

All of you guys did a marvelous job. At first the wolves seemed to be winning without question, despite having killed their own cobbler and fenrissed a mate, so I was cheering for village. But then after Lottie's death the tables turned, and I was cheering for wolves. Way to go, both!

Modgods, the narrations were hilarious!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #766
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
And I don't mean to belittle Lottie's achievement by saying the following: it was actually one of the few if not the only Night when she actually hunted a wolf.
Only. Definitely only. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have hunted a wolf ever if we hadn't killed Morsul and found him innocent. That was definitely a wake-up call for me - the one person I'd suspected all game was innocent, I was starting to think Nerwen might be too, and Cabbie suddenly jumped out as the only person who'd slipped completely under my radar!

After my death, a few people mentioned I'd given off Hunter vibes. Could you say what those were, exactly? I'm all curious now.

Kudos, mods, wizards, and trolls, for a great game!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #767
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Well even if I didn't do much good in the form of lynching wizards (sorry Greenie)...theory still holds don't get the gifteds lynched and the baddies have a difficult climb to winning, because eventually the gifteds will bite 'em. Great game (all the way around, to the mods for the concept and the narrations), testy moments and all, and way to stop the bleeding Lottie!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #768
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Okay, I admit I was kind of a lousy seer. In my defense, it's my first traditional game in almost three years and even longer since I've been a seer...so maybe I'm a bit rusty.
Well, I did feel a bit sorry for you and Volo, since neither of you had played for years and we made you the seer and the cobbler. Then again, you're both good players, so why not?

The truth is, we chose the roles completely at random - I don't know how most mods do it these days, but I for example used to choose the roles randomly but sometimes dabble with them a little - because it's really the fairest way to do it. So you can judge if Fortuna was on your side or not.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #769
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Well, I did feel a bit sorry for you and Volo, since neither of you had played for years and we made you the seer and the cobbler. Then again, you're both good players, so why not?

The truth is, we chose the roles completely at random - I don't know how most mods do it these days, but I for example used to choose the roles randomly but sometimes dabble with them a little - because it's really the fairest way to do it. So you can judge if Fortuna was on your side or not.
Indeed. This time, we did not dabble with the roles at all, since we forbade ourselves to, so even after we picked up Zil who has been a Wolf just the previous game, and Nerwen who has been a Ranger just before too, we were like "okay, that's their destiny".
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #770
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Indeed. This time, we did not dabble with the roles at all, since we forbade ourselves to, so even after we picked up Zil who has been a Wolf just the previous game, and Nerwen who has been a Ranger just before too, we were like "okay, that's their destiny".
I have yet to figure out why I seem to be a wolf so often. Whether the roles are randomly picked or not, evil roles seem to come to me more often than not. Is someone trying to tell me something?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #771
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I have yet to figure out why I seem to be a wolf so often. Whether the roles are randomly picked or not, evil roles seem to come to me more often than not.
Maybe we should keep that in mind the next game.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #772
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Maybe we should keep that in mind the next game.
I think everyone already does, hence the problem.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #773
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
I think everyone already does, hence the problem.
I'm almost always innocent and considered wolfish... If I ever end up a seer the village is doomed

Also on Day 2 did I seriouls pick the only innocent out of the pom wagon to go after?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #774
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
I'm almost always innocent and considered wolfish... If I ever end up a seer the village is doomed

Also on Day 2 did I seriouls pick the only innocent out of the pom wagon to go after?
Cheer up, you went after Sallywolf later, didn't you?

And Lottie, I'm really not sure what made me think you were the Hunter. But the Night Brinn died, I got this very strong hunch you and she were the other gifteds, probably the Hunter and Seer respectively. I was *this* close to protecting her, but at the last moment Zil's Good Ideas Fairy convinced me the wolves were more likely to go for you that Night- and I thought you were probably hunting me at that point.

I was really kicking myself the next Day, I can tell you!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #775
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Cheer up, you went after Sallywolf later, didn't you?

And Lottie, I'm really not sure what made me think you were the Hunter. But the Night Brinn died, I got this very strong hunch you and she were the other gifteds, probably the Hunter and Seer respectively. I was *this* close to protecting her, but at the last moment Zil's Good Ideas Fairy convinced me the wolves were more likely to go for you that Night- and I thought you were probably hunting me at that point.

I was really kicking myself the next Day, I can tell you!
I...don't think I ever hunted you, actually. I was a very uncreative Hunter, mostly vacillating between Morsul and Nog.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #776
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
I...don't think I ever hunted you, actually. I was a very uncreative Hunter, mostly vacillating between Morsul and Nog.
Next game I'm going to bne completely logical with thorough examinations of posts...

Then everyone will say "Morsul isn't acting Morsul clearly a wolf!!!" danged if do....
Old 02-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #777
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
I have yet to figure out why I seem to be a wolf so often. Whether the roles are randomly picked or not, evil roles seem to come to me more often than not. Is someone trying to tell me something?
I am typically always Ordinary, I feel it is to make people feel silly for lynching me, but I give enough reason to be lynched. This game we had 2 days that fell into the Wolf's plans by lynching me and Morsul.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #778
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Well! I am very sorry about being all but M.I.A the last few Days of the game! I actually thought I wasn't going to be able to vote the last Day with my internet being such a pain. It was literally JUST this thread as well.

Glad to see though that my lack of presence didn't cause any serious problems! To be honest I'm relieved I couldn't get back on as I'd have analysed Nogrod and no doubt decided he was horrendously guilty and voted him instead! Gut feeling all the way.

Well done wolves though! A couple of very good calls from you countered by some very good moves by the Gifteds! Certainly made for an entertaining game.

Thanks Lommy and Legate for a great idea! Are you glad or sad that the troll talk didn't go on longer?!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:50 AM   #779
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Thanks Lommy and Legate for a great idea! Are you glad or sad that the troll talk didn't go on longer?!
Speaking for myself, I think it was about the right amount. I think it actually lasted long enough to be lots of fun, longer than I expected (for the good). And I think it's natural to assume that people wouldn't really continue with it on Day 2 (or even less, following days) since they will be already focused fully on the game. So yeah, it was fun (with some really really hilarious lines)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #780
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Whew! What a game!

It was hard accepting being the Cobbler, since I really wanted to play as honestly as I could. So I decided to do so except for strategising my dreaming-pattern. Due to the game causing loads of stress on my bohemian lifestyle and vice-versa, I wanted to keep it short. I hoped to come out as the Seer on around Day4 offering all the remaining wolves. But I couldn't find a proper suspect and decided that Night1 I dreamed of an Innocent Morsul and Night2 of, like many guessed, Rikae. I did hope on being a rather too obvious Seer who could seem more plausable after the revelation, or if not, turn the discussion to the topic at the least. This game I pretty much reread only Day1 before my death while trying to be uninfluenced by others' analyses, which left me outside the current discussion.

I honestly thought Boro and Gil looked most suspicious during Day2, or Gifted.

There's loads of nostalgia towards the game, and once in a while I'm reminded to return to it, always trying to refresh my attitude. But I think this was truly the last game I play, since the feeling of being in a hurry and talking grammatically dubious nonsense due to that doesn't sound appealing, and stressing out for days due to a potentially broadly educating game and seeing people I want to have fun with become frustrated sounds even less enjoyable. These WWs are really interesting and plain weird reading, but I think I'll rather play live-WW myself. With loads of stuff going on and rather not knowing what happens next day, I prefer really taking the time to play WW for hours and nothing else and not having it stretched out for over a week.

There was loads of good playing and it was a pleasure to see many familiar faces improved and perceptive and motivated newcomers. I've learned loads on this forum and found your company interesting and inspiring - starting with not having another place to acquaint myself with such an international, varied and yet well-mannered lot. It is still time to move on.
Have great times!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #781
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Volo, I hate that we went after you, but you played your pseudo-Gifted part all too well.

I really hope this isn't your last game, though. I myself find that it's become increasingly difficult to find the time for WW, though it's not as major an issue when I'm an Ordo. It seems that things for me RL are rather routine when I'm not involved in a game, but as soon as one begins things start popping up.

Still, I have fun flailing about and messing with minds regardless of my alignment, and if I'm fated to be early lynch-fodder, so be it.

I hope you'll reconsider, and play again one day.