The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-06-2003, 08:35 AM   #1
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Sting Tolkien, The Barrow-Downs, and Flyover Country

Currently there are active threads concerning West Coast, East Coast, and London groups of Barrow-Downers who are trying to hammer out a time to meet. There is also a thread for the Midwest (used in this sense as a vague term encompassing most of the United States). Whereas the former three threads seem to be all fairly popular and have many replies, the Midwest topic suffers from a decided lack of interest.

As I was pondering the reasons behind this curious phenomenon, I wondered: Are the Midwest Barrow-Downers not interested in meeting one another? Do most of them simply not visit this area of the forum?

Or does it go deeper? Is there a true paucity of Midwest Barrow-Downers? If so, why? Is there a corresponding (relative) lack of interest in Tolkien in this part of the country? How grievous that would be!

The ancient Homeland stereotypes thread did influence this train of thought. But what do you think? Am I only imagining things?
Old 02-06-2003, 09:35 AM   #2
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

The midwest is often viewed as being less cultured (some people think we can't even read), and unfortunately, we're not doing much to dispel this myth.

I'm not sure how many MW barrow-downers there are, but I know plenty of Tolkien fans here around Omaha who just don't happen to be members of this forum, so you'd think there'd certainly be some more out there somewhere who are members, but just aren't replying.

Is there less interest in Tolkien here compared to other places? Well, I've visited friends recently in places such as Houston, Cleveland, San Diego, and Orlando, met fellow Tolkien enthusiasts there, and talked with them not only about the books, but also asked them how many other fans there were around their area. From their reports, there isn't much of a difference between those places and Omaha (the rest of Nebraska is probably a different story).

I'm not sure what the deal is. If there really is almost no one from the MW on the downs, I guess all MW barrow-downers should start campaigning a bit harder, and try to get fellow Tolkien fans from the MW to join this site.

[ February 06, 2003: Message edited by: the phantom ]
Old 02-06-2003, 10:05 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Interestingly, it was in Omaha that I was introduced to the LotR! I was in college, and my boyfriend lent me his to read, later on giving me the red-boxed set of paperbacks that I still have and read today. I've moved a long way from Nebraska since then, but I am looking forward to being back in Omaha for college class reunion this coming fall. Maybe there will be an opportunity to meet fellow BDers then!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 10:16 AM   #4
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Wow, Esty, what a coincidence. How'd you end up in Omaha for college? Did you go to UNO? Creighton? How long has it been since you've been here?

And yes, phantom, we mid-Westerners should try to "convert" some people to the Downs. There's a couple people at work, a couple of my buddies, and a couple classmates of mine that I know like LOTR. As a matter of fact, I talked for about half an hour with a young lady at work who's read pretty much all of Tolkien's books, and has actually visited the Barrow-Downs, but just never joined.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:20 AM   #5
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'm clearly too English to understand the term Mid-West. It appears to cover everything from New York to Los Angeles.

"'Advocate,' he said to me, and I was tempted."
Old 02-06-2003, 10:25 AM   #6
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

In the mid-West convention thread, I believe it was loosely defined as including:
East-West (Indiana to Utah)
North-South (North Dakota to Texas)

Pretty big area, huh?
Old 02-06-2003, 10:30 AM   #7
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Yes, it is a "pretty big area", which makes it all the more surprising that there's been so few responses. Someone suggested breaking it into smaller sections, which I would totally approve of, if not for the fact that there haven't been enough replies to do so.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:16 PM   #8
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I don't know about mainstream Wisconsin, but come on! We have the handwritten documents, and the world's leading Elvish expert, David Salo at Marquette University. That should generate Tolkien interest here, but so far as I know I'm the only Wisconsinite on this Forum. However, I do know people who love Lord of the Rings, so I guess I don't really have an explanation.