The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-05-2003, 01:49 AM   #1
Slayer

Question Faramir personality change

So why is faramir such a duesche in the movie as opposed to the book. He is so nice to Frod and Sam in the book and in teh movie he almost gets subverted by the ring. Whats the deal?
Old 10-05-2003, 07:02 AM   #2
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Duesche? Huh??<P>Well, I thought it was because of Arwen needing more screen time. Randomness, I know. But this is how I reached this conclusion:<BR>~In the films Arwen seems to be a little more impressionable. Elrond is trying to persuade her to leave.<BR>~Cut to Galadriel who knows of Arwen's plight. She speaks to Elrond to ask why he would forsake men in their need and forget the old alliances.<BR>Hey presto, an Elven army sent to Helm's Deep.<BR>~A little while later she says men are weak.<BR>Cut to Faramir, and suddenly, when we see it for the first time (and have read the books) a little bit of fear enters your mind. What is PJ going to do?? <BR>~Faramir is the 'weak' man, and takes Frodo prisoner. Etc...until...<BR>~In Osgiliath (what a waste of screen time, when instead of that and instead of having the ambush and Aragorn fall off the cliff, and instead of having the Ents be tricked- but then Pippin would need to be a tad more sensible all the way through and not need to use this opportunity to 'grow up- there could be the proper interrogation of Frodo by Faramir. And none of this need have happened.), the Nazgul comes, and Frodo offers the Ring. For some reason this means that Faramir feels he must let Frodo walk into Mordor. Senseless, really.<P>But it is worth pointing out, as someone said on another thread, that Faramir did not want the Ring for himself. He wanted it for his father, to prove himself to him. I think we will see a bit more of this in the EE.<P>Well, it made sense in my head...
Old 10-05-2003, 07:11 AM   #3
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Sting

Welcome to the Downs <I>Slayer</I> I believe this topic has been discussed before on many occasions in this board. You can find some threads with members opinions in these threads:<P><LI><A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001445" TARGET=_blank>*TTT Faramir - (David Wenham)*</A><BR><LI><A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001555" TARGET=_blank>Peter Jackson Answers Questions About Faramir</A><BR><LI><A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001696" TARGET=_blank>The Portrayal of Faramir</A><BR><LI><A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001712" TARGET=_blank>Redeeming Faramir</A><P>You can check if threads have already been composed by using the <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=search&search_forum=4" TARGET=_blank>Search Function</A> that is located on the top right hand corner of the page

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:39 PM   #4
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't have a problem with the way that Faramir was portrayed. David Wenham does a great job as Faramir.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:56 PM   #5
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>David Wenham does a great job as Faramir. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>True. He does a pretty good job with the script that he's given. My problem isn't with him, but with the script he was given. I'm sure if you check out my thread on 'Book or Movie Faramir?', you can find my opinion (& a bunch of other people's too).
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 05:10 PM   #6
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

I think David Wenham does a good job, just he has a bad script. Why did they think it neccessary to have Faramir's character like that? They made him out to seem more like Boromir, whereas in the books, he's completely different. And what's with taking them to Osgiliath?? I don't get that. Why did they have to do it? Anyways, I hope they get him right in RotK. <BR>Estel, I like your PotC quote in your sig!!<BR>Arwen
Old 10-07-2003, 05:45 PM   #7
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Personally, I don't think it's so much a matter of script as it is editting.<P>In RotK, Faramir tells Denethor that he wished he had known his wishes before such hefty a decision was thrust upon him. It begs the question, what would Faramir have done if he knew full well that Denethor wanted the Isildur's Bane brought to Gondor?<P>PJ felt he needed to increase the tension in the Frodo/Sam side of the story or else it would have been completely washed out by what was happening in Rohan. (Note that Tolkien didn't have the same issue as he presented the two stories sequencially rather than simultaneously.) We also know that there was originally a scene between Denethor, Faramir and Boromir set in Osgiliath before Boromir set out for Rivendell. A scene that we will see in the EE.<P>Perhaps a solution to PJ's dilemma regarding tension was to have Denethor express his wishes directly that Isildur's Bane (whatever it may be) be brought to Gondor. Isildur's Bane was mentioned in Faramir's and Boromir's dream and in the EE Fellowship, Boromir makes specific mention of Isildur's Bane at the Council of Elrond.<P>Unfortunately the Osgiliath scene found it's way onto the cutting room floor and this major motivating factor to Faramir's character was lost.<P>Just guess work. The EE Towers will hopefully shed light on the topic.<P>H.C.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:51 PM   #8
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If that had happened as you say, HCIsland (Denethor telling Boromir and Faramir to bring the Ring to Minas Tirith), being the person Faramir was, he would not have obeyed his father when the Ring came to him. This is made in the ROTK (the book, not the movie) where Denethor is angry at Faramir for his decision to let Frodo, Sam and Gollum go to Cirith Ungol with the Ring in tow.<P>I stand by previous statements I have made in previous threads. The movie Faramir is a complete misrepresentation of who the book Faramir really is. A distortion, is perhaps a better word.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:54 PM   #9
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dūm

Lily Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

In the Movie, Faramir seemed like a drunk. Especially when he said, "Shall I shoot." at the Forbidden Pool. I haven't gotten to the part about him in the book (I'm currently reading T.T.T.).
Old 10-08-2003, 07:21 PM   #10
Dwalin
Pile O'Bones

Dwalin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wasn't really <I>pleased</I> with Faramir when I first saw TTT. But I wasn't thrown into fits of despair. I usually go into a movie with my expectations extrordinarily low so I never get too disappointed.<P>I'm making an exception for RotK. I expect that movie to be soo GOOD!!