The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #1361
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
It is, so is checking the "Who's Online" feature
Yep, that's definately true

Also, when you try to rep people on other websites.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #1362
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post

Also, when you try to rep people on other websites.
I tried to do that once before...
Old 07-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #1363
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
you spend a half hour searching for ONE specific post you somehow remember making about 4 years ago

EDIT it was Actually nearl 5 years ago
Old 07-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #1364
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Yesterday two things happened that make me wonder why I'm not in a mental institution...

First, we pull up to my grandparents house and my brother shouts:
"It's the Sauce Pan Man!"

Second:
We were watching television and an advertisement came on; it said:
"Get your new Phantom today."
Old 07-03-2009, 12:38 AM   #1365
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
not sure if this counts as "Addiction" or "Narcissism" anyone else search fdor themselves to see if anyone's talking about them?
Old 07-03-2009, 01:35 AM   #1366
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I have not done that, but thanks for the idea.

I can tell I am addicted since every time the internet or email is mentioned in a book I am reading, I instantly think about this site.

Last edited by Hakon; 07-11-2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Stupid Typo
Hakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #1367
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I may be the only one but...

As soon as you find out someone likes LOTR even in the smallest bit you suggest they check out the barrowdowns
Old 07-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #1368
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
I may be the only one but...

As soon as you find out someone likes LOTR even in the smallest bit you suggest they check out the barrowdowns
Haha, I've been going beyond that with my roommate. He is pretty obsessed with Harry Potter, so I figured he would have liked LOTR too, but was flabbergasted when he said he didn't. He just said he never understood the movies, and I went into a long lecture about he has to read the books (if he liked 'His Dark Materials' he would have to love Tolkien! was my thinking). Then we did an all day marathon of the 3 movies, where I sat and dutifully answered every question he had, any confusion he was undergoing, and still nothing.

Is that obsessive?
Old 07-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #1369
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Haha, I've been going beyond that with my roommate. He is pretty obsessed with Harry Potter, so I figured he would have liked LOTR too, but was flabbergasted when he said he didn't. He just said he never understood the movies, and I went into a long lecture about he has to read the books (if he liked 'His Dark Materials' he would have to love Tolkien! was my thinking). Then we did an all day marathon of the 3 movies, where I sat and dutifully answered every question he had, any confusion he was undergoing, and still nothing.

Is that obsessive?
Only slightly
Old 07-24-2009, 04:53 AM   #1370
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
When whatever you open Firefox for, you automatically go first on the 'Downs and then wonder how you got there...
Old 08-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #1371
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
All the time, Steve, all the time. (Except I use internet explorer.)

This was one of my friend's facebook status.

Quote:
loved dancing her face off and being a super hero with *censored*'s wolf
pack!!
I had already started to comment about how she'd made a HUGE mistake/slip. Then I realized that A: I was on facebook and B: she's not a Downer.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #1372
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I just realised that there's a bar named Elmo's Bar on my way to work.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #1373
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I just realised that there's a bar named Elmo's Bar on my way to work.
We have a liquor store with that name in the town where I went to college.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #1374
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I've been (re)reading the Harry Potter series, and the ghosts celebrating deathdays amused me greatly (and so did the Filibuster Fireworks, which is probably a really bad sign!).

Also, Legate, Greenie and I were watching Disney's Robin Hood the other day and we cracked up totally when we found out the cute little rabbit is called Skippy.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:06 AM   #1375
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
When you're in a new job and have to start one hour earlier than was your wont, plus 40 minutes of driving to work, all of which really sucks because you've always been a late sleeper - and yet you manage to get up another 5 minutes early just so you can spend those 5 minutes on the Downs reading last Night's narration from your current WW game and finding out who was killed.
(Needless to say, you weren't as disciplined the night before when the sensible thing would have been to go to sleep an hour before DL, at the latest!).
Old 09-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #1376
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

When you regret not posting on the Downs yesterD... erm... yesterday because you didn't have a chance to make the most of Talk Like a Pirate Day.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #1377
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
As I was making my normal, routine trip to Starbucks yesterday morning. I parked next to a lime-green Honda Civic. On the side, in yellow print was "The Green Dragon" and beneath it something about rewarder's points.

I chuckled and considered taking a picture, but thought it would be unethical. What I did not know, is the man in front of me in line at Starbucks was the driver of The Green Dragon vehicle. So, as we were walking out and both back to our respective cars, I asked where I could find The Green Dragon, because I heard it has the best ale north of the Ohio River. I could not resist the temptation.

I thought it was funny, the guy just stared at me awkwardly, as if waiting to find out whether he heard me correctly and not wanting to put him through anymore awkwardness just said "have a good day."
Old 09-25-2009, 12:07 AM   #1378
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

This is great, Boro! Sounds like something any of us would do!
Old 09-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #1379
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
You realize that the in-depth analysis that you have to do for each reading (for a Graduate School class) is a surprisingly familiar and easy task. Then you realize that it is because of time spent doing WW analysis.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:51 AM   #1380
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
You realize that the in-depth analysis that you have to do for each reading (for a Graduate School class) is a surprisingly familiar and easy task. Then you realize that it is because of time spent doing WW analysis.
Actually, a few Days ago I thought (AIIIEEE OH MY! LOOK WHAT I JUST WROTE! "few Days"!! Well THAT was not intentional at all )... err anyway... yes, I thought that I could post here that I was reading the programs of political parties and I found that I am going through the different politicians in my mind just exactly the way as if I was thinking who of them is a Wolf.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:35 AM   #1381
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I found that I am going through the different politicians in my mind just exactly the way as if I was thinking who of them is a Wolf.
I tend to have similar reactions in RL as well whether it be politics, economics... It is kind of weird to realise it.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #1382
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I found that I am going through the different politicians in my mind just exactly the way as if I was thinking who of them is a Wolf.
Are there actually any innocents in politics?

It's somehow fitting that you mention that right now - tomorrow's election day in Germany, and I don't really trust any of them, so I might be tempted to vote
++No Captain
Old 09-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #1383
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
As I was making my normal, routine trip to Starbucks yesterday morning. I parked next to a lime-green Honda Civic. On the side, in yellow print was "The Green Dragon" and beneath it something about rewarder's points.

I chuckled and considered taking a picture, but thought it would be unethical. What I did not know, is the man in front of me in line at Starbucks was the driver of The Green Dragon vehicle. So, as we were walking out and both back to our respective cars, I asked where I could find The Green Dragon, because I heard it has the best ale north of the Ohio River. I could not resist the temptation.

I thought it was funny, the guy just stared at me awkwardly, as if waiting to find out whether he heard me correctly and not wanting to put him through anymore awkwardness just said "have a good day."
Haha!

On that note, today, while going somewhere, we passed a pub called The Green Dragon. You can imagine my reaction. I'll have to remember to go there sometime (though I am to young to buy alcohol).
Old 10-07-2009, 07:15 AM   #1384
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Probably if the word "stick" first brings to your mind a 'downer. And especially if you are very startled to see the last name only one letter different from Mac and Rikae's only a minute after spotting the word "stick" on some garbage on the street. *shakes head in a worried manner*
Old 10-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #1385
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hahahaha Lommy that is fabulous.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #1386
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

*cackles*

I compulsively check the Facebook thread for the Boston (Tea) Party now. Just sayin'.

Also, I was waiting for a page to load and part of the code/site/whatever was "&author=token". My first thought was "Ah, if only. That'd be funny." My second was "Oh gosh, they're turning me into one of them!"
Old 10-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #1387
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
You know you're addicted when you start to recognise BDers in films...

So I'm currently watching Ingmar Bergman's Smultronstället and suddenly I come across a character and think, "Omg, it's skippy." No joke. I looked up pictures of the actor and found these:
One
Two
Three

Surely I'm not going crazy. So skippy, any chance you're related to an actor from the 1950's?
Old 10-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #1388
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Is that last one from Wild Strawberries?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #1389
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
A sign is...

...when you forget to take the food you bought out of the bag because you first go to check the 'Downs Well, it was there roughly for a little bit less than an hour...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #1390
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
You know you're addicted when you start to recognise BDers in films...

So I'm currently watching Ingmar Bergman's Smultronstället and suddenly I come across a character and think, "Omg, it's skippy." No joke. I looked up pictures of the actor and found these:
One
Two
Three

Surely I'm not going crazy. So skippy, any chance you're related to an actor from the 1950's?
No, I'm not. And yes, you probably are.

It's funny that this film depicts a trip to the city where I live (yes, I googled that) but to be honest I don't quite see the resemblance. Thanks for telling me I look like a film star though!

Last edited by skip spence; 10-19-2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: removed word repetition
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:12 AM   #1391
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

When you can't go onlne(Or more of shouldn't) All ypu can think about is who's getting lynched in WW
Old 10-20-2009, 06:42 PM   #1392
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
When you write an epic(ish) poem about what's going on in WW during PreCalc...
Old 10-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #1393
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

You'll share said poem yes?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #1394
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
If I ever finish...it's kind of dependent of the outcome of McCaber's game, plus it's not very good. *blushes*
Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #1395
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
When you read a well written news article online and catch yourself looking for a rep button.

Also, when you drive past a sign which says 'Lindale Road' and immediately make the Downs connexion.

Last edited by Inziladun; 10-20-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #1396
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
You start looking for ways to use everyone you know on the downs as characters in an epic story that I will probably never write.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #1397
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

When you find Nienna's siggie quote in Spanish class and immediately recognize it, even though it's in Spanish, and start hyperventilating.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #1398
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
When you find Nienna's siggie quote in Spanish class and immediately recognize it, even though it's in Spanish, and start hyperventilating.
hahaha that's fabulous.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #1399
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

anyone else forget about the Actual website barrowdowns.com not the forum?

I just went through it for old time's sake I'm taking the "walk to Rivendell" challenge Isengard here I come
Old 10-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #1400
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
anyone else forget about the Actual website barrowdowns.com not the forum?

I just went through it for old time's sake I'm taking the "walk to Rivendell" challenge Isengard here I come
I did not know the actual website existed for the first months I was active on the forum.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote