The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-10-2003, 12:24 AM   #41
Elrond Jr
Pile O'Bones

Elrond Jr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

While talking about Hugo's other roles don't forget about ian's other roles.....ie- Chauvelin in the Scarlet Pimpernel!
Old 05-10-2003, 02:04 AM   #42
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Man, I think Ian is TOPS at playing bad guys.. I would sell my mother for role as a bad guy!...*sorry mum**<p>[ May 11, 2003: Message edited by: Everdawn ]

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 02:59 AM   #43
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

The only time in FOTR that reminded me of Agent Smith was when he stood up at the council and said "you have only one choice"... I was waiting for him to finish it with "...Mr. Anderson" JUST because of the way he said it.<P>I LOVE Hugo Weaving. He was incredible in "Pricilla" I could only imagine a cross-over LOTR/Pricilla pic of Elrond wearing that sandal-dress <P>OMG MAGNETO! Wow, when I was watching X2 (I JUST saw it today and OMG LOVED IT!), it took me a while to really let it sink in - Ian McKellen is such an incredible actor. Magneto is such a complex and interesting character - he's evil, yet has good intentions (just POOR execution!). And he's a smartass. Granted Gandalf is complex too, but it's on a different level. Magneto is bad, but has loyalties and his badness is driven by experience. So he's got this duality thing going for him, and Sir Ian pulls it off quite well. Then, there's Gandalf - who is Good through and through. I love him as both.<P>And I'm SO GLAD Ian McKellen is NOT playing Dumbledore. That would lead to typecasting, and that would just SUCK.<P>Typecasting is BAD. Actors may play similar roles, but genres and the like need to be explored for an actor to be credible (in my mind).<P>Take a look at Chevy Chase. Has he made ANYTHING that isn't Lampoon-esque?<p>[ May 10, 2003: Message edited by: Pookabunny ]
Old 05-10-2003, 03:04 AM   #44
Tinuviel Took
Wight

Tinuviel Took has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay here my two cents worth. I loved Sir Ian in X-men, the Scarlet Pimpernel, and LOTR. However even though I did not see the Matrix before LOTR I abhored Hugo as Elrond. There was no kindly elven lord, no merry elf, no loving father, he was just a stiff proud person with man-like aregance. PJ's Elrond was as messed up as his Faramir.<p>[ May 19, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel Took ]
Old 05-11-2003, 12:37 AM   #45
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The only time in FOTR that reminded me of Agent Smith was when he stood up at the council and said "you have only one choice"... I was waiting for him to finish it with "...Mr. Anderson" JUST because of the way he said it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>LOL - Yeah he did sound a lot like Agent Smith right at that moment didn't he?<P><I>'Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson...'</I> <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>There was no kindly elven lord, no merry elf, no loving father, he was just a stiff proud person with man-like aregance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I couldn't disagree with you more here! I thought Elrond was portrayed well in FOTR and TTT and I didn't find him the least bit <B>arrogant</B> either!<p>[ May 11, 2003: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]
Old 05-11-2003, 12:58 AM   #46
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The only time in FOTR that reminded me of Agent Smith was when he stood up at the council and said "you have only one choice"... I was waiting for him to finish it with "...Mr. Anderson" JUST because of the way he said it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>MEHMEHMEH... The Matrix was on TV again last night... I laughed all the way through, much to the annoyance of my family who were trying to sleep..

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 11:41 PM   #47
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know it isn't about Hugo Weaving or Ian Mckellan, but what about the role of Christopher Lee in Star Wars Attack of the Clones as Count Duku. I saw it the other day and I almost started laughing when he kept talking about the dark lord.<p>[ May 19, 2003: Message edited by: Voralphion ]
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 06:10 PM   #48
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I find those two roles of Christopher Lee more interesting because there are so many parallels between Dooku and Saruman.<P>H.C.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:20 AM   #49
Elrond Jr
Pile O'Bones

Elrond Jr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

yes....i agree......but it's pretty funny, the hair difference especially. And seeing doku fight, that wuz neat...
Old 05-22-2003, 01:44 AM   #50
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I couldn't disagree with you more here! I thought Elrond was portrayed well in FOTR and TTT and I didn't find him the least bit arrogant either!<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Same. I think that Hugo was great as Elrond, and, anyhow, at least I can't think of an actor who could have done him better. I also thought Faramir was good, but that would be going off topic... by the way, did David Wenham have any other roles? And, if so, have any of you seen them?<P>~Menelien
Old 05-24-2003, 10:51 AM   #51
balrogman
Wight

balrogman has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

my brother bought the attack of the clones dvd and ive never watched it yet, maybe i should just to see christopher lee...i dont know about you guys, but i can only see sam as rudy! i love that movie, so i cant really get that out of my head..haha
Old 05-25-2003, 10:08 PM   #52
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

who is Rudy?
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 09:45 AM   #53
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

The movie, <I>Rudy</I>, was about a kid named Rudy (played by good old Sean Astin) who really wanted to play football. He went to school at Notre Dame and finally got to play in the last game, where he got a sack on the last play.<P>I actually didn't make the connection between Rudy and Sam...of course, we watched <I>Rudy</I> in health class (mental health unit, don't ask), so I wasn't paying attention.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:10 AM   #54
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I find those two roles of Christopher Lee more interesting because there are so many parallels between Dooku and Saruman. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I couldn't agree with you more. Those two characters seem very much alike, especially when they're both played by Christopher Lee. When Dooku tells Obi-Wan-Kenobi to join him, I can't help but think of Saruman.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:56 PM   #55
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
I think people should just learn to accept that Ian McKellen & Hugo Weaving are only actors, which means they won't only be in LOTR and there's nothing you can do about it!!!
Old 06-10-2003, 08:07 PM   #56
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I don't think people care about Hugo being in LOTR as much as some people think they do. I think they actually couldn't care less, for the most part.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 01:49 AM   #57
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

I agree. I wish that some of Elrond's more humorous lines had been kept.<P>I didn't even realize that those two were the same actors for a very long time. It's funny, everyone talks about the actors, and I don't even know their names because all I care about is the story. Sometimes, I wish I did so I could post on the "what actor would play..." threads. Oh, well.<P>Actually, the only one I noticed was Christopher Lee as both Saruman and Count Dooku. Talk about typecasting. (I only know that one because Zel Ladrona is a Star Wars fan, much like I am a LotR fan.)
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 09:40 AM   #58
Elvanui
Animated Skeleton

Elvanui has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I laughed through all the scenes with count dooku. I really didn't like that movie so finding something humorous and LOTR related was great. I expected dooku to start giving the "New power is rising" speech b/c the lines and character were soooo similar. Anyway, I always get a laugh out of Elrond,at least in FOTR, not b/c Hugo played Agent Smith(although I think he is a delightful villian)but b/c I think the look he gives Sam and Merry and Pippen when he finds out that they have been listening in on the council priceless. He looks like he's thinking "what, is there a nazgul in the bushes that my elf senses ave failed to notice?!" The fact that he lets the hobbits go on the quest (and the near amused reaction he has to sam's appearance) shows that he is not completely serious and dour all the time. I think hugo did a good job with a character who is SUPPOSED to be serious and somewhat wistful that his people are passing into myth.