The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-10-2003, 06:10 PM   #1
Elrond Jr
Pile O'Bones

Elrond Jr has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye Legolas and Gandalf

I have a question that me and my friends have been wondering about for a while: Why was Gandalf linking arms with Legolas whilst he was entering the Golden Hall in Edoras? Was it part of the script? Does it have signfigance? Or did it just happen or did Ian McKellen add that part or something else?
Old 03-10-2003, 06:56 PM   #2
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting

You know, I have no earthly clue, in fact, I never even noticed. Keen are the eyes of Elrond Jr!
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:41 PM   #3
epmitchell

Sting

I noticed it too. I think Gandalf had just said something about needing his staff because he was an old man. I suspect he was "leaning" on Legolas for support.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:09 PM   #4
moth

Pipe

maybe to appear more harmless, or weaker
Old 03-10-2003, 09:17 PM   #5
Tinuviel87
Haunting Spirit

Tinuviel87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel87
Silmaril

I took it as Gandalf trying to seem weak and old so they would not doubt his need of his staff<BR>~Seka
Old 03-10-2003, 09:32 PM   #6
Caranheniel

Tolkien

Dude I am with moth and Tinuviel87 on this one. I think its to show his weakness, but then again you never know.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:49 PM   #7
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well, when he said "you would not part an old man with his walking stick" after he said that i supposed it was because he was trying to keep up the illusion that he was weak and frail.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:18 PM   #8
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
My God, you people, apparently all live under a large rock together.<P>Why, in Letter#666, Tolkien himself wrote that:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Legolas was really Gandalf's illegitimate son with Celebrian, and the real reason why she ditched Elrond and left.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*Sheesh*<P>
Old 03-10-2003, 11:34 PM   #9
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Careful, Lush, you never know when someone is going to believe a comment like that and start a thread about it.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:29 AM   #10
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Or send a rumor like that to another website You can't believe what people will believe these days.<P>But back to the topic...<BR>I saw that scene many times, it was very interesting, maybe PJ was just giving Legolas some more screen time for all the Bloom fans , but yes I just think it was to further the illusion that Gandalf was old a frail (even though he still had his staff/old man walking stick)<p>[ March 11, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 03-11-2003, 01:28 AM   #11
Elrond Jr
Pile O'Bones

Sting

i'm kind of surprised that all of you answered assuming that it was according to the movie script. I'm sure you all know about McKellan, etc... Maybe he was just doing that for his own fun? Or maybe he was a frail old man. But he still brought his staff. So what would be the purpose of the staff if he still needed Legolas to walk?
Old 03-11-2003, 12:37 PM   #12
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I'm sure you all know about McKellan, etc... Maybe he was just doing that for his own fun?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, of course he was! Nevermind that Sir Ian McKellen is one of the greatest actors living today. You know those crazy homosexuals, willing to compromise every single scene for the purpose of their "own fun." Why how very <I>astute</I> of an observation! Bravo.<P>
Old 03-11-2003, 01:45 PM   #13
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> You know those crazy homosexuals, willing to compromise every single scene for the purpose of their "own fun." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Though I'm certain that was intended to be sarcasm, that seems to describe very accurately several such individuals that I know. Then again, aren't most people of all sorts like that, using everyday situations on the job to have a bit of fun?<P>I think that Elrond Jr did make an astute observation, just because of how people are in general. You don't think Sir Ian is above having fun, do you?
Old 03-11-2003, 02:46 PM   #14
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>You don't think Sir Ian is above having fun, do you?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Of course not. I do, however, think that Sir Ian <I>is</I> above placing his own homosexuality ahead of the film's intentions, the dynamic between characters, etc. I find Elrond's assertion curious, because it specifically addresses Sir Ian's sexual orientation, as opposed to general human nature. If you adopt Elrond's logic, that would mean that we should interpret Galadriel kissing Frodo on the forehead in FotR as something Cate Blanchett did "for fun," because she is a hererosexual female.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:19 PM   #15
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Many have said the same thing about when Frodo jumped into his arms at the beginning of Fellowship. Some even said that it made them uncomfortable. That makes me absolutely laugh out loud, don't get out much do ya'? It's this crazy misconception that every gay man is tryin' to get it on with every other man, gay or straight. And that they can't control their own behavior for some reason - like it's raging out of control or some such thing. "Look out! Nobody's safe around that guy. Don't let him touch you!!" And FYI - not everybody thinks Bloom or Wood is hot - believe it.<P>And besides, I think if we all knew what everybody else did for fun, we probably wouldn't let anybody near us. Ewwwwww.....you do what?!?
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 03:53 PM   #16
Rochelle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rochelle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think being gay had anything to do with those scenes. I think in Edoras, Gandalf was being supported by Legolas to portray him as weak, as many have said. <P>As far as your comments, wether sarcastic or not, about "crazy homosexuals"...lets hope no one else took offense. I have many gay friends and I respect them as much as anyone can.

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"
Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 04:15 PM   #17
gilraën
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

gilraën has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think an actor as talented and well respected as Sir Ian McKellen can be accused of turning these films into a vehicle for his sexuality, after all he shared a trailer/dressing room with the 4 hobbits for the time the film was being shot and not one word has been said to imply there was anything but propriety observed.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:10 PM   #18
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

It was to signify that he was "supposedly" not able to walk well without his staff. Then he turned around as a strong wizard.<P>~Burzdol~
Old 03-11-2003, 07:23 PM   #19
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Geez! All you guys have keener eyes then me! Maybe I should visit the eye doctor.................
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:41 PM   #20
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Yes, I noticed the leaning thing too, and I thought, the same as many others, that it was simply to portray his "weakness". I did <B>not</B> think it was anything homosexual and sincerely hope the rest of you were just kidding. <BR>BTW- Even though McKellen is gay, I think that saying he was hitting on the other actors is just nasty. Seriously, that's like saying that if you're not gay, you like every person, every age, as long as they're your gender. Seriously, he's 60 or something! Elijah is 20, Orlando is 24, you pervs
Old 03-12-2003, 10:54 PM   #21
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Sheesh did any of you actually watch TTT and enjoy it or did you sit there analyzing all its faults as well as how the actors played out their scenes?<P>This entire issue turning towards the fact that Sir Ian McKellen is gay should have <B>never</B> had happened! Sheesh, any and all touches he makes with the other actors IMNSHO is for the sake of advancing the scene/Gandalf's character for <B>pity's sake</B>!!!! <P>Seriously, people, when I watched TTT I sat there and allowed myself to be absorbed into the story and I wasn't analyzing this, that, and the other!<P>Please get your minds out of the gutters already!<P><I>*Climbs off of her soapbox*</I><p>[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]
Old 03-13-2003, 09:04 PM   #22
Nevcairion_of_Rivendell
Pile O'Bones

Nevcairion_of_Rivendell has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Oh my gosh! i never noticed that i think that Eyes of an Elv Elrond Jr! has<P><BR>"Gandalf the forces of Mordor are moving in the west his eye is fixed on Rivendell. Who will you turn to when we are gone? The Dwarves? They keep to their mines seeking riches they care nothing of the troubles of others! "-Elrond from FotR<BR>"Then it is in Men that we must place our hope"-Gandalf<BR>"MEN Men are weak it is because of men that the ring endures. I was there Gandalf. I was there a thousand years ago at that battle at Mount Doom, the one place this one time that it could be destroyed. I led Isildor to the heart of Mount Doom, the one place it could be destroyed, but he kept it, the time that the strength of men failed." - Elrond<P>
Nevcairion_of_Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 10:30 PM   #23
balrogman
Wight

balrogman has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Ok I mean no offense to any of the other downers, but if you really think that Sir Ian being gay has anything to do with the fact that he leans on Legolas, you clearly need to think. This whole gay issue may be a joke, but come on! If he wanted to lean on Orlando to satisfy his "appetite" he definetely wouldn't have done it when they were filming. In the movie, Gandalf says that he needs his staff to lean on because he is a feeble old man. He's tricking the guards into letting his staff inside with him. Gandalf leaning on Legolas is only an act to help make his feeble old man story more believable.<P>O God I'm ranting aren't I?
Old 03-14-2003, 05:55 PM   #24
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

OMG, this is a moive section, not some 'anti-homosexual' site. Please stay on topic!
Old 03-14-2003, 06:08 PM   #25
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't even want to begin to imagine the fanfictions that will be produced from this topic/idea.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 06:46 PM   #26
Elrond Jr
Pile O'Bones

Sting

You know what, that was just a rumor. And an obviously false rumor too. But i just wanted to mention what a great job Ian McKellan did as Gandalf. Im sure there's other threads about all of the great acting jobs. But Ian Mckellan was incredible. And the thing with him being frail, or pretending to be frail just shows you how he attends to every single detail. By the way you should see the movie "The Scarlet Pimpernel". It's pretty old but Ian Mckellan is in it (much younger) as Chauvelin. That is a great movie too, as it's very interesting to see a young McKellan in it.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:06 PM   #27
Elvish Hermit
Pile O'Bones

Elvish Hermit has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

If you watch the fellowship with cast commentary (Extended version), in the scene when Frodo just wakes up and Sam runs in all worried about him, Sir Ian McKellen says something among the lines: "It was very touching when Sam grabbed Frodo's hand, just like Tolkein wrote it in the book. In fact a women wrote saying how important it was that Sam grabbed his hand. Being a homosexual myself I thought this was important too."
Elvish Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 01:24 PM   #28
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>By the way you should see the movie "The Scarlet Pimpernel". It's pretty old but Ian Mckellan is in it (much younger) as Chauvelin. That is a great movie too, as it's very interesting to see a young McKellan in it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I almost choked when I saw him in that movie. He did a great job and all, but I had never seen him so young before. Quite a good movie, I agree.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Sir Ian McKellen says something among the lines: "It was very touching when Sam grabbed Frodo's hand, just like Tolkein wrote it in the book. In fact a women wrote saying how important it was that Sam grabbed his hand. Being a homosexual myself I thought this was important too."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, you're getting two actors' lines mixed up. It was Sean Astin who spoke of a girl who wrote to him telling him how grateful she was that Sam grabbed Frodo's hand in that scene. Sir Ian McKellan was the one who, after <I>reading the action in the book</I>, suggested that Sean grab Elijah's hand in that scene. He then went on to say how sometimes heterosexual actors don't pick up on the importance of such actions while homosexual ones do; that is why he suggested it to Astin and Wood.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 07:37 PM   #29
ElfPrincess77

Question

(Some of you) have sick minds...I mean c'mon! I agree with so many others, that it was to make Gandalf appear older and weaker..and Legolas (xox) was the closest one to lean on. Another possiblity, was that Gandalf was holding Legolas back a bit...you now how Grrr... aggressive he can get-especially after gettin his weapon taken away!<BR>Another point...is there was a cr*p load of editin done on this film, and PJ wouldnt have left it in if it was unscripted and ahem...inappropriate. I dont think that at all, and McKellen is a pro- he wouldnt try to screw up even an itty-bitty part of such an amazing movie!
Old 03-31-2003, 11:51 PM   #30
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I understood perfectly why Gandalf was leaning on Legolas' arm in that scene. He wanted Theoden's guards to think that he was a harmless, frail old man. <P>I did, however, wonder about that scene in Helm's Deep when Aragorn slaps Legolas on the butt...OK! OK! JUST KIDDING!
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 05:21 AM   #31
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Naurwen_of_Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I did, however, wonder about that scene in Helm's Deep when Aragorn slaps Legolas on the butt... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BR>Hahaha!! *snorts* Sorry, but I could just imagine Legolas being all serious and then...<P>"Aragorn...what are you doing?"<P>But seriously, Ian McKellen's sexuality had, I beleive, nothing what so ever to do with him leaning on Legolas. I think that it was (as others have said) done to portray him as a weak old man. It kind of annoys me that just because a homosexual man touches another man (some) people automatically think "He must fancy him" or "It must be for his own 'fun'." <BR> Ian is a fantastic actor and I do not beleive he would do such a thing anyway, plus the fact that he is so much older than Orlando. Homosexuality, I should think, is the same as being heterosexual. I mean, we all have our own preferances. Me, for example...I like tall guys, whilst some girls like short guys etc. So it must be the same for homosexuals. They don't instantly fancy the first guy they see. I think people look into little things like Gandalf leaning on Legolas too seriously. It was done to make him look weaker, nothing more.<BR> Why can't people just enjoy the film and not take things so seriously?<P>Yours rantingly<BR> ~Naurwen
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 12:21 AM   #32
Lucinda
Animated Skeleton

Lucinda has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I personally like the idea that Gandalf was giving the appearance of being weak whilst sorta telling Legolas to calm down- maybe elves and wizards can do mind-to-mind speech?(hehe)