Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2002, 05:51 PM   #201
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Menelduliniel dried her eyes, and got up, fingering the strange scar visible on her stomach and remembering still...

She suddenly gave a little jump that scared Estelarion as she came out of her flashback

"Oh!" she exclaimed, causing Estelarion to jump, "I'm here...oh...not there anymore...pain gone...all gone..."

She looked and realized she'd been running her hand over the scar, and she quickly stopped and pulled her silk tank-top over it, hiding it.

She looked around to make sure none but Estelarion had seen the scar. She could not tell if they had or not though...

"So," she said, addressing anyone, "What do we do now?"

---------

Estelarion sighed as he saw her run her hand over the scar. She had never stopped messing with it, even when it was the ugly open wound it once was. She was lucky it did not infect...ah, well, that was her luck: something like that would get her and she'd survive with only a scar. If he weren't there though, she would have been dead. Estelarion wondered if she knew that.

After she startled him, Estelarion got up and began to prepare both his things and hers. He put a hand to his side, and felt the bandages that were obviously Meneli's, by how tight they were. She claimed pressure stopped the bleeding, and it seemed to...

Then Menelduliniel asked, "So, what do we do now?"

((OOC: Just trying to give you 2 points of view, there))
Old 07-11-2002, 09:03 PM   #202
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

* Having helped Bethberry bandage her arm and seeing that his friend was now resting with her eyes closed, Gandalf looked around to see if anyone else yet required assistance. Patient and shivering stood Arcon's horse Getathane, with splats of blood from the arrow lodged in his foreleg seeping onto the ground below. Hearing Birdland volunteer to provide restorative care and comfort, Gandalf turned to her. *

Birdie, have you experience tending to the hurts of horses? An embedded arrow can be tricky business, doing more harm coming out than going in. If nothing else, we can bind up the area with cloth and await a decision from Arcon on his return from scouting.

* The black horse from Mordor nibbled grass. It shook its head and neck from time to time. The horse's mane, matted and tangled, and a general sheen of dirt, hinted at exertion in battle and habitual neglect in the stables of the East. *
Old 07-11-2002, 09:15 PM   #203
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

A smile spreads over Bethberry's face, which then breaks out into a hearty chuckle in spite of the weariness and soreness visible on her face.

Point taken, Birdie. You be the judge of your own care. But I warn you, hang around the wizard long enough and you will see water burn, I promise you.

Gandalf, see if Getathane will let you use some of the water with the agrimony and yarrow to wash his wound.

[ July 11, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 07-12-2002, 02:02 AM   #204
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Holly had recovered from her blow enough to help out with the needs of others.

She called Peri over, and reached into his saddlebags for a small pot of 'Heals-All' salve, and the curry comb and brushes.

To Bird she gave the pot of salve, knowing that her friend always liked to minister to her wounds herself.

She reached into a small bag on Peri and pulled out two lumps of sugar. One she gave to her pony, being sure to let the black horse have an unobstructed view of the treat. The other lump she held out in her open palm, and advanced slowly toward the great horse, talking softly all the while.

He was fractious, and his great eyes seemed a little wild and wide as he shied away from her. But she stopped,& continued to talk to him gently. He came forward, his nostrils flaring as he took in her scent. Finally, greed overcame fear, and he came to her and took the sugar from her hand.

She reached up and touched him lightly with her free hand. His skin trembled at the unfamiliar gentleness. He quieted, and stood still, shaking his head as if agreeing to the touch. She ran both her hands down his near flank, increasing the pressure as she went along, accustoming him to the rhythm of her touch. He watched her as she placed the brushes on her hands and stroked him gently, and then more firmly - brushing away ages of dirt and grime and neglect . . .
Old 07-12-2002, 04:33 AM   #205
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdie looked doubtfully at the Elf-Horse Getathane, standing with head down, as blood still trickled down his leg.

"The horse might stand for salves or poltices, but no beast I know of will cooperate while you remove an arrow from their flesh. The horse would have to be drugged to tolerate such a surgery, and I don't know if even Bethberry has enough sleep potion to keep him calm through such a painful procedure. (For Birdie knew that the arrow shaft would have to br broke off, and the head of the arrow pushed out through the flesh, rather then attempting to pull it from the wound.)

Birdie looks speculatively towards the three elves remaining in camp. "It's said that the Elf-Folk have the power to communicate with their animals. Can one of these enchant another Elf's horse enough for us to do this work?"

[ July 12, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 07-12-2002, 11:34 AM   #206
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly had brushed the horse til her arms ached, and combed the tangles from his mane and tail. He gleamed like a vibrant piece of polished ebony. He arched his neck when she had finished and gave a great trumpeting whinny as if to call attention to how grand he looked.

The hobbit stepped back to view her work, and saw Bird trying to soothe Arcon's steed.
Drawing nearer to them, she saw the horse had an arrow which had pierced his foreleg.

She called to Meneli: 'Elf, will you come and aid us? It is Arcon's horse; it has need of you.'

She looked at Bird and said, 'We must get the arrow out of his leg before infection sets in and he loses the use of it.'
Old 07-12-2002, 05:28 PM   #207
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Menelduliniel shook herself out of her little stupor and ran over to the horse. It was funny: she felt more sympathy for wounded animals than Elves, Humans, Hobbits, Dwarves, anything of that nature.

She stroked the horse, and it immediately settled down. She reached down, and whispered to the horse not to be afraid. She gently grabbed the end of the arrow, and pulled it out VERY quickly. The horse gave a little jolt, but did not budge. She stroked it's neck and whispered that it was a good horse. She looked at the wound and gently touched around it: the arrow that pierced it had not been poisoned, thank the Valar.

She then went to her pack and got out a needle: the one she had used to sew her Warg-fur coat, and some black string. She stroked the horse gently, while cleaning the wound, and quickly and deftly sewed up the cut.

"If it would not have been walking on it, it would not have needed that," she explained, "But this should keep it closed from infection."

She took the bandage she had brought, and tied it securely around the horse's leg, but not so much as to cut off bloodflow.

"Now: you should be fine, melaramin (my love)," Meneli said soothingly to the horse.

"The horse should be fine now," she said simply to the others, then went over to her horse, Salkadome, and gave the horse a big hug around the neck.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:55 PM   #208
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

"Well done, Menelduliniel!" Said Birdie. And her opinion of Elves in general went up a small bit. Not greatly, but a little.
Old 07-13-2002, 11:30 PM   #209
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Orofacion of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofacion of the Vanyar
Sting

"Getathane holds fast and does not suffer injury as severe as most, he has suffered far worse," said a voice coming back down from the road, "It seems you have taken the liberty to treat him, I thank you." Arcon came back down the lane, sword sheathed, blood slightly trickling down his neck. He stopped and bowed to the group standing around helping his horse. "I have herbs for use in healing any wounds he might recieve, and it appears Gethathane shall need some now."

Arcon went over and rubbed his horse's forehead and patted his neck. He talked softly to the horse in elvish, which instantly calmed the steed due his master's return. Arcon inspected the wound, studying it closely for a minute, patted Getathane's neck once again, and walked over to Bethberry.

Upon seeing Naaramare safe, with a look of slight exhiliration in her eyes, Arcon smiled at her, realizing what happened. Turning to Bethberry, "I believe I will need you help my dear Bethberry," Arcon said softly and politely. "That is if you are up to it? I need you to boil these herbs," he said, removing a handfull from a leather satchel on his belt, "until the aroma is fragrant and the water thick. I will try to bring Getathane closer to us, to see exactly what condition he is in."
Old 07-13-2002, 11:55 PM   #210
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

By now, early morning had turned to mid, and so by hobbit reckoning, it was time for second breakfast.

Holly's stomach had settled into its normal routine, her headache now being gone, and she poked about in one of her satchels for a bit to eat.

The wounded seemed well taken care of by the healing talents of Bethberry, so she and Peri and the great black meandered to back to the road, where Holly munched on some dried fruit and the horses satisfied themselves with the grasses at the edges of the road and the occasional dried apple from the hobbit.

[ July 14, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-14-2002, 07:47 AM   #211
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

(OOC: piosennial, could you please correct my character's name in your previous post? Many thanks!)

Bethberry's interest was piqued by Arcon's presentation of a healing herb for Getathane, for here was a piece of elven lore which she did not know. She wondered what herb it was.

I am too tired to go back to the stream to fill a fresh kettle, for my arm is shaking slightly when I move it. The large copper one on the fire has only agrimony in it, used for cleansing wounds. Could your herb be added to that without any change to its affect? Are you boiling it down to make a poultice?

Bethberry turned to Getathane and whispered a song on the air, encouraging him to limp towards the fire towards his master.
Old 07-14-2002, 05:14 PM   #212
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Menelduliniel prepared herself to set off again, her wounds feeling much better.

"When do we move out?" Meneli asked everyone, impatiently.

Estelarion, on the other hand, was quietly sitting by a tree, nursing his injury, still a bit dazed.

"Meneli: we may want to rest here a bit," he said.

She saw him and went over to him.

"Oh, yes, I almost forgot...I am sorry," She embraced him, but he flinched and moved away, still in pain.

"This pain is my doing," Meneli said, guiltily.

"No, no it's not...I should have seen...I should have paid closer attention...I should not have let you run off at all...I shouldn't have argued with you...it was my fault Meneli, not yours." Estelarion held Meneli's hand as he said this.

Menelduliniel looked into his eyes and seemed satisfied, "If it is what you say, Estel, it must be true."

She quietly busied herself, getting her packs ready...
Old 07-14-2002, 09:03 PM   #213
Naaramare
Wight

Naaramare has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naaramare
Tolkien

The image of the unknown elf lord from her memory stayed sharp with Naaramare despite her embarrassment and the odd looks she got from a couple of the party. She hadn't meant to yelp like that, but being able to hold onto anything of the past--even something so pittantly small and unimportant--made her want to dance in rejoicing.

A practical side of her pointed out that the image was useless. Any description she could give from it would apply to far too many elves--after all, how many tall, dark-haired and grey-eyed males were there in the world?

She ordered that practical side to be silent.

At Arcon's return, she sighed in relief. His horse might be hurt, but he wasn't. She returned his smile, then heard Bethberry say that she was in no shape to get water.

"Bethberry, where is the stream? I can go get water for Arcon's herbs."

si man i yulma nin equantuva? [my blog]
Old 07-14-2002, 11:33 PM   #214
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Thanks, Naaramare. It is about thirty paces south, through those bushes to the left. Once you have walked in about ten paces, you can hear the stream burbling. The bank is not steep.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:31 AM   #215
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Thumbs up

"Of course Bethberry, I apologize for my haste. You are in no condition to go retrieve water," Arcon said. Upon seeing her interest in the herbs he had produced from his satchel, Arcon opened his hand to show Bethberry what the herb looked like. He held in his hand ground leaves of green with bits of silver that seemed to gleam in the high afternoon sun.

"It is called avoredlothia, quick-bloom in the Common Tongue. This herb is made from the petals and stems of a silver flower that rarely grows now, and only in the west, past the Blue Mountains. It blooms only in the twilight and quickly, hence the name. Not many know of it save the Grey Elves of Forlindon, for it is very old, older than the elves. It grew wild in the forest of the great land before it sank long ago, and the land needed to grow the quick-bloom went with it."

"Yes, boiling is needed to bring about the herb's healing properties. A film develops on the surface of the water, and it begins to thicken. A poultice is indeed what I am attempting to achieve. It keeps the wound from inflaming any further and releases a healing effect as it seeps deeper into the flesh. The agrimony will enhance the effects I believe, preventing even further, the chance of infection."

Just then Naaramare, who had been holding her hand over her mouth as to not make any noise spoke up. She offered to go retrieve some water from the stream. Both Bethberry and Arcon gladly accepted. "I will go with you, highwaymen may retreat, but still linger around certain areas."

Getathane, who had made his way over to Arcon and Bethberry, limped up to the two as Arcon stood. He went over and spoke softly to the horse in elvish and rubbed his head. Getathane raised and shook his head in acknowledgement. "I'll be back my friend," Arcon said. He turned to Naaramare, "After you," he said, extending his arm outward towards the way of the stream.
Old 07-15-2002, 07:30 AM   #216
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

First age herbal lore! Now that would be something to talk about back home, thought Bethberry.

She watched curiously as Naaramare and Arcon walked into the bush for water. There was plenty of water boiling in the pot with the agrimony, which Arcon had said would futher the healing actions of his quick-bloom. So there must be something else which distracted the two elves from what was at hand.

(OOC: I hope you guys don't mind this. I'll delete/ change it if you wish.)

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 07-15-2002, 10:54 AM   #217
Naaramare
Wight

Tolkien

Following Bethberry's directions for the stream, Naaramare thanked Arcon for accompanying her. "It's odd," she explained. "I have this feeling I used to be able to defend myself, because despite repeated examples of my . . .lack of martial skill, it always takes a moment to occur to me that I'm fairly well helpless."

She made a wry face to make light of it, but it still bothered her a little.

Bethberry had been right; hardly ten paces later, she could hear the stream and thirty paces later she almost stepped right into it.

Old 07-16-2002, 10:01 PM   #218
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Eventually, the group of travellers and their horses recovered enough to resume their journey. By nightfall, they arrived at the Trade Inn at Sarn Ford. *

* The black horse newly freed from Mordor had to be forcibly held back by Gandalf from entering the Inn. Snortingly, it refused to go into the stable, and so was left to graze as it would and fend for itself during the night. *

* Inside the Common Room, an orange-crackling fire sang its warm greeting to the smell of baking bread and mulled wine simmering and sighing its aroma from a comfortably large kettle. Gandalf was just about to ask Bethberry how her arm was holding up. At the same time, he was thinking ahead to a hoped-for conversation with Holly regarding the extent of her background as a traveller outside the Shire. Holly's answers would let Gandalf know whether it would be wise to have a Hobbit attend the meeting of the Rangers of Sarn Ford along with Bethberry. Given the two attacks that had befallen along the road, it might also be beneficial to have the Elves sit in on the meeting. As for Birdland, Gandalf sensed something unusual but had no idea what to make of her. *

* As the group entered the Common Room, two Men towards the back bolted from their table, overturned a chair, spilled a Hobbit's ale, knocked down a servant bearing a tray of coffee, milk, cinnamon rolls, and butter, ran out a side door, and slammed its creaking wood shut. *

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 07-16-2002, 10:35 PM   #219
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie watched the two men vacating the room in what could almost be described as a state of panic. After the curses and shouts of the disturbed patrons had died down, and the innkeeper was busy mollifying his customers with refills, she turned and gave the wizard a knowing look.

"Friends of yours?"
Old 07-16-2002, 10:47 PM   #220
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* From outside came a sharp neighing, the yelp of a man in pain, shouting ... all sounds duly muffled by thick round panes of smoked glass that served as the Trade Inn's windows. There came a strange nudging sound. One of the windows opened from the outside. A familiar black horse poked his head inside, chewing away on torn trouser fabric. *

I'd say our war steed is even more closely acquainted than I, dear Birdie. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2002, 02:54 AM   #221
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly had gone over to help the hobbit. Not only had his ale been knocked over, but so had he, in the haste of the men to reach the door.

She gave him a hand up and fetched him a fresh pint while he dusted himself off, and pulled his vest into order.

He invited her to sit with him, and she got herself a pint and sat down across from him at a low wooden table.

After a few long pulls at the tankard, Holly leaned forward with her elbows on the table and introduced herself.

He raised his drink to her, and said 'Glad to meet you, Mistress Holly. I'm Olo Gardener from Michel Delving.'

Leaning closer, she asked him, 'Who were those Men who were so rude and hasty in their leaving, Olo?'.

'Best not to talk about such things in here,' he whispered, 'but if you'ld like to take a short stroll with me, and dip your toes in the Brandywine, I could tell you tales to put you off your feed for a day or so!'

'Let me just tell my fellow travelers where I'm going, then I'll be right with you.', she said, taking him up on his offer.

Holly found Bird sitting by the fire, warming her feet, sipping on a cup of mulled wine. She told her she was going out for a while and would be back soon. Bird waved her on and helped herself to another cup of the tasty brew.

Most of the other companions were engaged in conversation among themselves, and not wanting to bother them, she slipped out quietly.

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-17-2002, 10:41 AM   #222
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Menelduliniel aided Estelarion in dismounting, then followed the rest of the group into the Common Room.

She sat, talking to Estelarion for a bit, then she looked around.

"Everyone!" Meneli asked, getting no one's attention, "Where is Holly? When did you last see her? Anyone?"

Everyone shook their heads that they had not seen her...or at least they admitted not to...many did not even look up. They were too absorbed in their own conversation to listen to her...as always...

"Oh, great," Estelarion breathed to himself, grumpily.

"Who will go look for her with me?" Menelduliniel said, standing up, already set on leaving to find her.

"I wi-" Estelarion began. Meneli cut him off.

"N'uma mellonamin! You are still injured...who ELSE will come?"

Meneli noticed Gandalf smiling to himself in the corner...

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 07-17-2002, 11:48 AM   #223
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Meneli? What are you talking about? Don't you listen? Holly distinctly made a point of telling us where she was going. I saw her leave just now, myself, with a new Hobbit friend by the looks of things. Holly wants a bit of privacy, and if you weren't so distracted, you would have heard her tell Birdie that she'd be back soon.

* Gandalf laughed heartily at Menelduliniel, who was obviously in a scatterbrained state of mind brought on by flirting with, sighing over, and staring at Estelarion. It appeared that the young Meneli could not see or hear anything else while her beloved clouded her senses and her judgement. *

(OOC: You'd know that, Vanima Edhel, if you would have read piosenniel's post more closely and carefully. Or is this all part of the role-playing and Meneli is seriously this confused? Please take the posts of your fellow role-players into consideration when you post, okay? Since piosenniel said that MOST were engaged in conversation, and you claimed that NO ONE had any idea of her whereabouts, it looks like there's a slight discrepancy. Please allow for the fact that some of the OTHER role-players might have in fact noticed Holly's absence, without automatically making assumptions and speaking for them. ANYONE, for example, could have seen Holly talking with the other Hobbit. And Birdland, for instance, knows Holly's whereabouts ... please let Birdland decide whether to share this information, rather than jumpinig to conclusions by saying "Everyone shook their head no." I bring this up because this seems to be a similar case of confusion like when a certain two Elves rushed pell-mell into an ambush after Holly's pony should have warned against such danger. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 07-17-2002, 01:47 PM   #224
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Bethberry, who was not one to be easily ruffled or disturbed, had remained sitting, quietly observing the strange actions of the unruly travelers and Holly's thoughtful assistance to the hobbit who had been upended, sipping her tea and eating her seedcake unassumingly.

Once Gandalf had finished talking with the always and ever distracted elves, she spoke up.

Gandalf, can you help yourself to some tea or ale and seedcake or is there more for you to be concerned with?

To tell you the truth, I cannot remember when any of my travels in search of herbs have brought me so readily into such troubles. Even those I've shared with you before! Something is afoot in the Shire but I cannot place a handle on it. Things and people are falling out too often and too easily. Or am I letting that first encounter weigh too heavily on my mind?

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 07-17-2002, 01:55 PM   #225
Naaramare
Wight

Tolkien

Naaramare blinked at Bethberry's question. "Has it been an uncommon amount of trouble?" she asked, curious. "Such had not occurred to me; I had thought this region to be untamed . . ." She shrugged, embarrassed at her ignorance. "But I have nothing to judge it against, I suppose."

Old 07-17-2002, 02:45 PM   #226
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Of course, Bethberry. * Gandalf had a pot of jasmine tea, mugs of ale, seedcakes, butter, and honey brought to the table for Bethberry, himself, Naaramare, and any others seated with them. *

Your search for herbs should be well-rewarded at Tharbad, my friend. They say the rarest varieties are to be had in the vicinity of Maladil's Castle, though it's best to avoid the castle itself.

I share your sense that trouble is afoot. Even the Trade Inn is tainted with it, as you've seen for yourself. Most curious is the unwillingness of the local population to come forth with aught they know. It's even affected the way folks travel. Such a wariness, that keeps people separate and silent even when walking together in company.

But let us speak of other matters. How fares your arm? If you wish, we can arrange to have a local healer look at it.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:05 PM   #227
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Menelduliniel looked at Gandalf hard.

"She did not tell all of us," she said, angrily. She stood up, and went outside to get some fresh air, and to cool off about no one listening to her when she was upset about Holly, and about Gandalf's ridicule of her. On the way out, she somewhat unceremoniously kicked Estelarion out of the way. He grunted in brief pain, which she ignored, scowling still, and moved out of her way.

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 07-17-2002, 04:45 PM   #228
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Major OOC comment, which will be deleted:

*coughs slightly and somewhat uncomfortably, as a way to introduce the topics of what was said and of how to disagree with each other*

This is what piosennial posted:

Quote:
Holly found Bird sitting by the fire, warming her feet, sipping on a cup of mulled wine. She told her she was going out for a while and would be back soon. Bird waved her on and helped herself to another cup of the tasty brew.

Most of the other companions were engaged in conversation among themselves, and not wanting to bother them, she slipped out quietly, and unnoticed.
Thus, it would appear that your assumption--

Quote:
I assumed she meant that she told no one, because so many were busy..
--cannot, unfortunately, be supported.

Also, if you would please read the recent interchange between Gandalf and Orofacion on the discussion thread, you might see that people can disagree about their posts and reach a compromise or resolution without getting angry or hostile.

Disagreements and misunderstandings and even mistakes are all part of the human condition, particularly on the 'Net, where printed language is our sole form of meaning and where it is often difficult to understand each other. (Gandalf and I have often misunderstood each other.) Learning to respond to these situations without anger and without taking offense is a big part of learning how to make the best of the human condition.

Respectfully,
Bethberry
Old 07-17-2002, 06:46 PM   #229
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

(Birdie stirs grumpily by the fire.)

"By the One, Elfling! She's outside talking up a likely Hobbit lad! Sit down and have some wine!" She then muttered to herself, not for the first time, "Elves!"

Bird then settled herself more comfortably into her chair. The fire was warm, the wine was VERY good, and Holly could take care of herself.

As for Rangers, Birdie had little care in the matter. She knew very well that these cloaked wanderers had the ears and councils of people more lofty then her. If Rangers were about, then trouble was brewing. And the common folk of Middle Earth could just hope to get out of the way.

But first, another glass of mulled wine!

By the third glass, Birdie had reach that sweet, melancholy state that was just perfect for the place and time. Idly she watched the flames and sang a song to herself:

"If I danced with my feet
As I dance in my dreaming,
As grateful and gleaming as Death in disguise -
Oh! That would be sweet,
But then would I hunger
To be ten years younger,
Or wedded, or wise?"

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 07-17-2002, 07:41 PM   #230
Kettle of fish
Wight

Kettle of fish has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The large kettle over the fire shifted uncomfortably then sat still in case anyone had seen.
It was dangerous to appear anything other than a perfectly ordinary kettle when there were men who would sell any oddity or just as likely melt you down to see what made you talk.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:01 PM   #231
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Enjoying the tea and the rare opportunity to chat with Gandalf, Bethberry watched Birdie watching the fire until she began to imagine figures in the flames herself.

Naaramare, an untamed region is not in itself violent and uncivil. People fear the Old Forest but that's because they don't pay close enough attention to the lay of the land, to how things exist and how they interconnect. The same kind of troublemakers which we've run into can be found even in such a city as Minas Tirith.

Gandalf, thank you for asking about my arm. Now that it is in the sling and kept still, it feels much better.I don't think a healer will be necessary. Maladil's Castle, you say? Do you have any tales to tell of it? I am ready to ply you with all manner of seedcake and even, Longbottom Leaf! What do you think, Naaramare? Are we due a good tale or a serious warning?
A grin spreads over Bethberry's face as she looks forward to a good chat with her old friend.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:33 PM   #232
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Gandalf smiled and applauded Birdland's song. It was a silly little ditty, and for that reason, entirely enjoyable! * Very good, Birdie! As a poor reward for your efforts, please allow me to cover the cost of your wine and supper this evening. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

* Watching Bethberry watching the flames, Gandalf sent a thin stream of smoke from his fingertips into the fireplace, changing the colors of the flames from purple to green to blue. * Am glad to hear you're recovering, my dear Bombadil friend.

* Relaxed at being in such good company, Gandalf told the sought-after tale. * Maladil's Castle ... abandoned, crumbling, home now to wild things and worse, according to whispered rumor. Some precious metals to be found within, along with the rare herbs growing outside as I already mentioned. Not a place for the inexperienced to venture ... nor even a good Ranger, should he be alone. Now is that a story worthy of seedcake and pipeleaf? I leave it to you to judge. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

* At the mention of "precious metals" ... two wide eyes gleamed from a nearby table where a lone country Hobbit had crept to sit alone and listen to the assorted Big Folk. Podo Cotton of Overhill had just earned himself a tidy sum of gold on his last business trip away South, but was always happy to hear talk on the subject of riches to be had. At that moment, a servant came to take Podo's order. * Preciou ... er, ah, pretzels, yes, that's what I meant! Pretzels it is, then! And a pint of beer.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:55 PM   #233
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

1420!

Arcon sat and listened contently at Gandalf's tale of the castle at Tharbad. He sipped his hot cider quietly and enjoyed the atmosphere of the inn, the warm fire, the hints of pine from the wood rafters above, and the company of the group. Gandalf's smoke from his pipe brought back memories of years ago, on another adventure the wizard, Bethberry, and he had.

Occasionally Arcon would chime in from time to time to agree on some matters, or share some insight on others. "Indeed Bethberry, it is good to hear your arm is doing well. Such danger on the road is probably due to our Stormcrow here," Arcon said laughing in jest, "For wherever our friend Gandalf goes, a trouble or two is sure to follow. But of course, I would have it no other way." [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"Preciou ... er, ah, pretzels, yes, that's what I meant! Pretzels it is, then! And a pint of beer," said a voice from another table. Eyeing the newcomer out of the corner of his eye, Arcon continued to sip his cider in peace, not showing his attention.

But finally he got up and made his way to the fire to where Birdie was sitting. She looked quite comfortable, her face was serene and calm. "May I join you Birdie, even though I am an elf?" Arcon asked with a sincere smile.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:32 AM   #234
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly had stopped Olo just as they'd gotten out the tavern door. 'I need to see about my pony before we go down to the river. Come with me, if you like, I'll introduce you to Periwinkle.'

'Now that's not a common name for a pony.' commented Olo, as they walked toward the stabling area. 'However did you pick that name?'

'Well', said Holly, 'I found him when he was very young, standing in the middle of an area filled with small blue flowers - Periwinkles. And look at his coat, brownish all over with bands of darker brown running through it - like a Periwinkle snail from the ocean, near where I grew up. Periwinkle was just a natural name for him.'

'When you put it that way, I guess it sure is!', said Olo.

They were just about to pass into the stable, when Holly saw a tall man in a grey cape, hood obscuring the features of his face, leaning in a casual manner against the corner of the building. He was hard to see by the light from the moon and stars, except for the thin spirals of smoke that drifted upward from his pipe bowl, and outward from his exhalation.

'Southern Star', she thought to herself,'if my nose doesn't deceive me.' She nudged Olo. 'Who's that man, smoking by the corner of the stable.'

Olo looked the man over carefully, and then hurried her inside. 'It's one of those Rangers.'he said. 'Keep to themselves, mostly. Usually don't get many of them around these parts - just one or two, passing through quickly. But lately, there've been more of them and they seem to be staying around longer.'

She shivered slightly at his words. But then, all thoughts of rangers and watchers in the dark left her head, as she saw Peri and ran to see him.

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-18-2002, 05:43 AM   #235
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie set the kettle on the fire swinging idly with her foot, and sighed with contentment. Now this was what traveling companions on the road were for. Good company, good stories, and a free supper!

Arcon came over and stood by the mantel, looking down at the settled skin-changer. "May I join you, Birdie, even if I am an Elf?" he asked smiling.

Bird gave him a speculative look, then waved her hand airily. She was feeling magnanimous.

"Why of course my Lord Ac...err...Arcon. Though the price of a seat tonight will be a tale." She smiled and pulled a stool over with her foot and singled to the bar maid for another jug.

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 07-18-2002, 11:17 AM   #236
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Having made sure that Peri was well taken care of, Holly turned back to Olo. The two hobbits went out the stable door and toward a path leading to the river.

Holly glanced at the corner of the building where she had seen the Ranger, but he was no longer there. She shrugged her shoulders and gave it no further thought.

Once at the river's embankment, Olo led her down to a sandy bar where they could sit on a large flat rock. The perimeter around them was free of any vegetation or rocky outcroppings where anyone might hide.Sitting with the water burbling over their toes, they felt free to talk quietly without being heard.

Pulling out her pipe, Holly filled it with 'Old Toby' and then offered the bag of leaf to Olo, who had retrieved his pipe from his vest pocket.

They sat smoking in companionable silence for awhile, gazing at the clear night sky, and pointing out the occasional shooting star as it arced its way across the dark dome.

'So, Olo,' said Holly, cleaning out the bowl of her pipe and knocking out the residue on the rock beside her,'tell me, what of those two men who knocked you down in the tavern?'

Olo drew closer to her and dropped his voice lower. 'It's not only the Rangers that we've been seeing more of around here. They're not a bad lot, just a bit stand-offish. It's the other traffic that we've been getting that has me worried. Men coming from the south and east, a nasty lot by the look and feel of them. A dark feeling, sort of twisted - like a once healthy plant, its heart all gone rotten with hidden weevils, if you get my meaning.'

She nodded at him, frowning, and urged him to go on.

'Why just a day or so ago,' he began, 'those two fellows had . . .'He was cut short by the sound of footsteps on the sand behind them.

Holly stood quickly, drawing her knife to throw it, and whirled to face the intruder. Olo brandished his walking stick.

'Put away your knife and rest easy, my little friends. I've come to escort you back to the safety of the tavern. Night is well upon us and there are creatures in the dark who would just as soon see two hobbits dead as to let you go on talking - especially the subject you were on.'

'What subject was that?' challenged Holly, who did not care to eavesdropped upon.

'The one we will no longer discuss here, in the open.' said the intruder stepping close to them.

It was the Ranger, the one from the stable. He lead them back to the tavern, discouraging their questions with his silence. Standing in the courtyard there, he watched them until they entered the door.

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-18-2002, 12:37 PM   #237
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Bethberry laughed with wholehearted glee as the flames impersonated a colourful display of fireworks. She nodded her appreciation, but then took a different approach.

Hummph, Gandalf. I'd say that barely merits a second slice of seedcake. A good-natured grin spread across her face.

Why, you have told us nothing about why the castle was abandoned or who the inhabitants were. An ill-fated couple who died childless? A dark and secretive lord? An old and honourable family come upon hard times? An inheritance cheated? Any hobbit worth the Shire could have told us a longer tale of geneology.

Out of the corner of her eye, Bethberry observed the interest of a hobbit sitting nearby, well dressed, who appeared to be a traveling merchant of some sort. She returned to her little critique.

So, are these precious metals a magnet for the troublesome types or does some other kind of taint haunt the castle? Good herbs growing so close a nasty place invites much speculation. I'm prepared for a long night of convivial talk, my old friend, and...

Her words were cut off as everyone looked up to see Holly and Oro unceremoniously marched through the front door of the Inn. They had about them the air of young 'tweens who had just had their adventurous wings clipped and were being sent back to the smial for safety. Bethberry turned to Gandalf with a more sombre mood on her face.
Old 07-18-2002, 04:13 PM   #238
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Menelduliniel wandered into the forest and sat cursing, crying, and muttering to herself in a very un-Elfish manner...

After some time, she got bored with all of this, and she came back into the room quietly. Estelarion gestured to her, but she ignored him, still grumpy. She quietly went back to a log by the fire and the kettle, and sat there, staring into the fire, blinking back her remaining tears...

--------------

Estelarion lay on his back, and slept with his eyes open, as was common for Elves to do. He tried to find a way to lay that did not hurt where Menelduliniel kicked him, but finally gave up. He saw her come back in, and sat up and motioned to her. She looked hard at him, then ignored his gesture and went across the room.

"A, women..." Estelarion muttered to himself, "Who can understand them?"
Old 07-18-2002, 04:39 PM   #239
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Holly looked about as she entered the tavern. The buzz of conversation had come to a halt as she and Olo entered the room. She felt the heat rise to her cheeks as all eyes stared at them. Then she looked back at Olo and both of them burst into laughter, more from relief than from any actual hilarity.

This broke the silence in the room and once again the rest of the customers turned back to their former conversations, the incident of the returned hobbits quickly forgotten in the ebb and flow of other gossip.

Holly made her way to where Bird was sitting, well into her cups by now, and sat next to her. Olo had gone to get them two pints of house ale, and had stopped to talk with a friend of his on the way.

She sat on the rug and pulled her knees up under her chin, her arms clasped about them. Staring hard into the flames she wondered about the road ahead. What had seemed so familiar now had the hint of shadow on it.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:40 PM   #240
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird sat humming happily to herself; then, knowing it would bother her friend Holly to no end, said:

"So, I see you had to be escorted back to the inn by one of those Rangers, eh?"

The desired effect achieved, she then watched as Holly's new friend wove his way back towards the fire, two ales in hand. (Bird did not resent the lack of a third ale, knowing that the grape and grain should never mix.)

Leaning low, with back turned towards Acron, she whispered to Holly: "Did your new acquaintance happen to mention any word of a 'Castle Maladil'?

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]