User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2002, 02:50 PM   #1
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The Simian Shadow of Far Harad

OOC: Just couldn't resist starting an example RPG based on Kate's wonderful notion. Hopefully, this, and its companion thread SIMIAN SHADOW DISCUSSION, will help you get started with your own RPGs!
~Gilthalion

The stars were strange in Far Harad, and the Moon rode higher on his courses through the sky above that far south land, and the Sun was not kindly to the dry sands beneath her chariot by day.

The people of that far south land were gathering for war, and every man, woman, child, and beast was conscripted for the work of preparing for battle. Their old enemies, the cruel men of Gondor, would finally meet their fate at the hands of Sauron, Lord of Mordor.

This meant that the days of peaceful labor were over for the oliphaunts of the Oasis of Harad, where the grasslands of their birth met the sands of the blasted desert.

A pachyderm was loose again! The swertings were sweating, for this beast had been a trouble since before it had reached full size. She had an attitude and an itch, and she meant to scratch it.

They found her in the night by following the cries of the citizens living outside the city wall. There she was, trampling their vineyards, eating their grain, and finally, rubbing her massive backside against the unyielding sandstone walls of the oasis city.

A strangely talkative monkey in a nearby palm tree warned her that people were coming, "Look! Look! They come! Run! Hide!"

"Where can I hide, up your tree?" the oliphaunt laughed through her long nose. "No, I will wait for them here, and finish scratching."

A small mouse on the wall (safely above the pachyderm's massive backside!) watched intently. He had lived in his snug little mouse hole in the wall for several years, and loved the cultivated lands around about and the comings and goings of the strange folk under the strange stars. But he had been more than a little bored lately and was looking for adventure. It may have come in the shape of a great oliphaunt.

The big girl espied her handlers as they came, with their ropes and chains and the hated, hated, hooks...

[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: Gilthalion ]
Old 04-27-2002, 12:24 AM   #2
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A black and grey carrion crow sat atop the mud brick wall of the city. She had perched there through the night, enjoying the trapped warmth of the sun on her gnarled black feet.

But the slight vibration as the oliphant rubbed against the wall made her pull her head out from under her wing, and she heard the stumbling and cursing of the handlers in the dark behind her.

The crow flipped her wings and, landing heavily on the oliphaunt's back, strutted up the spine and stood behind one sail-like ear. She idly pecked a tick from the wrinkled hide, and snapped it down.

"Enjoy your rub-down, dearie, while you can. Sounds to me like your presence is requested for the next war."

"Get off, Corvu", mumbled the pachyderm, "Your claws tickle." Then her nimble probosis sent a shower of dust cascading over her back, causing the crow to beat a retreat to the top of the wall, where she ruffled her feathers to shake out the dirt.

[ April 27, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 04-28-2002, 10:23 AM   #3
Manelwen
Haunting Spirit

Manelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OOC. Well, I hope this fits in...

The wolf watched with interest as the Oliphaunt rubbed her backside against the sand wall, a barrier that she was all too willing not to trespass. With a contented sigh, she relaxed on her stomach on the warm sand. With a great yawn, showing her flashing ivory teeth, she settled down to watch the men over come the giant beast.

She had traveled long and far from her lands, and found herself wandering the barren deserts of Far Harad, far, far away from the grounds where her family had been slaughtered by those cruel, bright haired folk. She didn't blame the elves for their reaction, for it was other wolves that had joined Sauron's forces that caused them to hate her kin so much. But a great sadness washed over her, for the elves and wolves were condemned to suffer beneath tooth and arrow.

She was loosing interest in the giant oliphaunt's clumsy attempt to scratch her massive backside and stood, turning her back; she began a slow gate towards the jagged golden rocks that tore at the skies like scrabbling claws. In the distance, she heard the call of man and knew that they were they intended on capturing the beast. 'Maybe it is best.' She thought grimly 'that I go back to my homelands.' No. That was just impossible. She could take no other as her life mate, she loved Sildal too much, and in her heart, where grief was not supposed to be, it thrived like a flower in the dark.

It was only a quick trek to her makeshift home and as she entered the cave, Celebanca caught the smell of man. Backing up quickly, the giant wolf bumped into the rock wall. The sound of a man's hoarse breathing scared her and the imposing thought of her family falling under the elves, became an daunting idea that she would follow that same fate. He was far to her left, and as she attempted to dart out of the hole, six men with spears suddenly blocked it off. "Get her!" The called.

'No!' She cried in her mind, rearing on the man inside the cave, the stench of fear was nauseating and she bared her teeth, growling and slinking towards him. 'I would rather die trying to escape than die in their hands!' Celebanca thought grimly as she took a step towards the man.

He raised a long tub to his mouth and blew a dart from its opening. She watched as the feathered shaft flew through the air and struck her in the throat. With an agitated growl she leapt forward, intending to attack the man but the dart must have been poisoned, for she suddenly felt tired and as she sailed through the air towards him, she lost feel of her legs and collapsed on top of the smelly, sweaty man.
Old 04-29-2002, 10:16 AM   #4
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Sting

Fedwie the Mouse had never left the Wall of the oasis city, but had often looked at the green lands that sometimes floated above the burning sands. His grandmother had told him that these were visions of far away, where the air was cool, and water was abundant, and life was easy for a rodent.

But there was no way that a mouse could ever cross the desert! Some villainous bird would surely eat him alive before he had scampered a mile. And if the birds didn't get him, the snakes would eagerly gobble him down. And if the snakes and the birds didn't get him, the hot heat of the desert would.

The mouse sighed and thought that he would never have an adventure. Fedwie looked down from the edge of his little crevice at the oliphaunt. She didn't seem to like folk on her back! That old crow sure took a dusting!

Now the handlers had come near and the big pachyderm trumpeted a warning to scare them. It scared Fedwie, too!

In fact, it scared the poor little fellow so much that his tiny paw slipped and he fell from the safety of his crevice! Down, down, down he fell, until he landed, plop, right on the oliphaunt's back! Oh no!, he thought, I'll be dusted for sure!

But that was not to be. The big pachyderm had eyes only for her handlers, and especially for the cruel hooks they used to hurt her and make her do their bidding. One after another of the men swung their hooks and made them bite deep into her tough hide.

How she cried out! But she did not fight them, for she knew that to kill these men would mean a terrible death to follow, for there were so many of them that great oliphaunt of the grasslands though she was, she could never defeat so many. She had seen her uncle die at their hands in such a way.

When the handlers saw that she would not fight, they carefully put an iron collar on her neck and led her away in chains.

Poor little Fedwie was along for the ride! He crawled carefully and softly along, so softly that the tough hide of the oliphaunt did not even feel his soft paws. He stopped when he reached the great iron collar and then whispered into the gigantic ear of the beast.

"Hi! My name is Fedwie. I am a mouse! I fell off the wall when they were taking you away. Where are we going?"

Poor Fedwie! He did not know it, but pachyderms of any sort were fearful of small rodents (rather unreasonably, they thought that the tiny creatures might crawl up their trunks, make a nest, and suffocate them!) and this great oliphaunt was no exception!
Old 04-29-2002, 11:58 AM   #5
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

"Arark," muttered Maleficent and scratched his scrag irritably. "No time to be involved in the affairs of man."

Yet the monkey knew that to helphi sfriend with the long memory and to guide the huge gorilla from the humans would be a Good Deed. Maleficent had been expelled from Monkey Island for his tendency to perform Bad Deeds. He would only be allowed back by Chief Longpatience when he had performed Good Deeds.

First to help his silver-back cousin. He left his perch, a fish he had enjoyed eating but it was now rotting. The perch discarded he also climbed from the tree and scampered across the hot sands to the rock formation near by. He hoped Shai-Hulad would not come, then wondered why Giant Worms would be kicking around Middle-Earth.

With the alacrity of the tree-scramblers he traversed the rocks and came into sight again of the hulking gorilla.

"My friend, my friend, you venture into the country of the pink skins," he cackled. He emphasised by hurling several small pebbles at the stupendous simian. "You must turn back or be captured. They desire to trap you in bars of iron and steel."

"**** 'em," said the gorilla. "This day of misery can only be improved upon by my beating and capture."

"Righto," said Maleficient chirpily. "Suit yourself."

He wandered in search of his captured elephantine companion. The sun beat upon his dust-coverd coat and his sprightly limbs tired as he scoured the city perimeters. He found the marks of the struggle near the East Gate. He pondered his options and in his confusion, absent-mindedly followed some rodent tracks...
Old 04-29-2002, 06:00 PM   #6
Manelwen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Well, I hope I am not stepping on any toes by introducing a couple of ‘two-footers’ into the story…

The silver wolf winced, if a wolf could wince, and slowly she tried to get to her feet, but the ground beneath her pitched and swayed. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath and again, tried to stand. Taking a deep breath to calm her stomach, she smelled the disgusting gut-wrenching smell of human and animal waste and sweat. Swallowing back the sudden urge to purge her stomach of its contents, the wolf opened her eyes and took in the grim surroundings.

She was in the center of the city, in a large clearing or courtyard. A tall wall was to her back, and around her were dusty buildings that were silent and dim. Looking to her side, she saw the heavy fetters that were clasped around her ankles; on her neck she felt the cold weight of a collar. A long chain was connected to the restraints and was seemingly hammered to a ring on the wall. It would have to be knocked down if she planned on getting it off.

“Mama!” A little boy called, he had strayed off from his mother and stood in awe of the giant silver wolf, his dark eyes full of wonder, and his rosy lips made a perfect ‘o’ as he stared at her. “What is it?”

A lady ran out of a crowd and gathered the little boy in her arms. “Morgan, do not go near it. It is a wolf from the wooded lands.”

The wooded lands. She must be quite the novelty here, for wolves were probably pretty rare, and a good one of her size was probably even rare even in her homelands. But a wolf is a wolf, her thought turned grim; they will probably kill me and skin me for their king. What a prize I am to make. A soft whine came from her throat as she layed her massive head on her legs; the feel of the smooth soft stone beneath her soothed her belly.

The mother stood still for a moment, holding the child away from her protectively. Pity shone in her almond eyes; slowly she set the child down and took a step towards the wolf. “Are you alright?” she asked softly.

“I am fine.” The wolf said, raising her head and inclining it gracefully.

The lady smiled “You must have a terrible headache, for they gave you a sleeping draught.”

Celebanca suddenly became aware of the headache that ebbed like the coming of a tide in her mind. “Yes, but it is merely a headache, for I am sure that it will be the least of my troubles in a bit.” Her voice was painted with sadness and pain.

“You do not have to worry, ‘tis indeed not what it seems.” The lady’s voice trailed off as a tall man with black hair pulled back into a tight braid, neared with a long spear in his broad hands. “Be strong.”

“That’s all I can be.” The wolf whispered as she glanced at the man, standing to her full 4 feet from the tip of her ears to the bottom of her broad feet, her glittering eyes met the man’s and curling her lip slightly as he approached, she didn’t notice the woman melt into the crowd with her child balanced on her hip. “Why have I been caught like this?” She growled.

The man’s eyes went wide and the intimidating warrior-like glitter in his almond eyes melted into an astonished fear, he took a step back and opened his mouth stupidly. “You can talk?”

“Fool.” Celebanca growled irritably “I am a wolf not one of your foolish little pups that roll around the floors with your little whelps. I do not chew bones under your tables, or hunt for you. I am a wolf from an ancient breed and unless you wish to feel the full measure of my wrath, you best get these fetters off of me or I will tear your throat out.” She finished off her talk with a low growl that rumbled in her chest, her golden eyes studied him inscrutably.

The crowd that was around her slowly backed up, she stepped forward growling louder, bearing her white teeth. “W-we can’t…” He stuttered, his eyes shifting nervously, probably searching for another of his companions to save him from the enraged beast.

“And why not?” She growled angrily, pacing back and forward, testing the limits of her chain.

“We need your help.” A suave voice came from the crowds and as soon as he spoke, the crowd parted and a man strolled through with a cocky smile on his face that infuriated the silver wolf even more. She lunged but was viciously yanked back, with a strangled growl the she-wolf landed on her forepaws. “We are asking the assistance of all in the land; men, and beast.”

“Why should I help you, you fool? You capture me, poison me, and now you shackle me like a mere guard dog for all to watch. Let me go.” Testing her weight on the chain, she heard the strain of the wall as she leaned more weight on it. “Or I’ll rip your throat out when I do get out.”

“Oh? That is very convincing. Let a wild and rabid wolf loose in my city?” The man threw back his dark head and laughed, “I think you best learn some manners, wolf, and when you do, then I will let you out. Alright?”

Celebanca quivered with the delightful thought of tearing the man’s throat out came into her throbbing mind. “I swear, by my forefathers, I will tear you limb from limb.” She pulled against the chain until the shackles dug her ankle and throat. The breath stopped flowing, and she eased back slightly and began to pace at the length of her chain.

[ April 29, 2002: Message edited by: Manelwen ]
Old 04-29-2002, 07:32 PM   #7
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mithiel sat at her master's step, her back arched and alert. There was a sent in the air, one that did not smell like the others. Her coat gleamed in the afternoon sun.

Mithiel let a low rumble of a growl roll through her throat deep and angry. Her master's son, a young handsome youth with fair yellow hair heard her growl.

"What is it girl?" He asked softly, "Something bothering you?"

Mithiel sat up and paced in front of her doorstep, snorting with anxieity. What was that scent? Then she saw it, a large wolf stood not far away from her. She could see its teeth glance of a stray sun ray. Mithiel let out a deeper growl. A wolf upon her territory? This would never do.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:56 PM   #8
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Flitting from wall, to corral, to spear rack, and to wall again, Corvu followed the procession of men and harnessed beasts congregating in the courtyard.

The preparations of war, seen again and again through the years, never failed to arouse her curiosity. The noise! The excitement! The easy pickings! Why Men put themselves through such ordeals she had no idea, but times of war were always good times for carrion crows.

She cocked her head to focus on a group of men carrying a limp bundle of fur into the square. "Warg," she thought dismissively. "Orc-mount. Who do you think will ride you into battle here? Perhaps one of those half-men of the West my cousin Rôac spoke of?" She chuckled to herself. Corvu never cared much for Wargs. Mindless curs who had forgotten their true nature. It would be fun to snatch her food.

Then this "warg" spoke! Spoke to a woman, of all things, as if a woman in this land of Men do anything for her. Then she watched as this true wolf threatened and raged at the Captain of the Guard!

"Ah, dearie" said Corvu to herself, "best if you had listened more and spoke less. Never a good idea to let Men know you can speak. Makes them nervous."

Then she saw the mouse.

Oh, this was just too good! A mouse on the back of an Oliphaunt! All thoughts of talking wolves fled her mind as she considered the implications. She lifted herself to the back of the Oliphaunt in time to hear the brainless little chit make his introductions. Mice were so polite!

"Hi! My name is Fedwie. I am a mouse! I fell off the wall when they were taking you away. Where are we going?"

Corvu strolled up to the mouse and leaning down, whispered behind him: "You'll have to speak a little louder, small one. She's a little deaf in that ear."

Then she flew to the wall to watch the show.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:02 PM   #9
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
Ooc, Thanks Manelwen. I hope this fits in.

After a hearty meal and content with a full belly after many a moon, Rulf-Armon, a great giant black wolf lay down on the dry grass by the sun splashed rocks. He was one of the last of his kind. Times were harsh for the great giant wolves that once flourished upon these lands.

As his eyes grew heavy thought of his days as an alpha wolf drifted into his mind. Those were great times, when he was leader of a pride of hundreds. Wraithlike illusions of his mate, the great alpha female Kaelin wafted in front of his minds eye, and he could hear the happy yelps of his sons and the high pitch joyous squeals of his daughter, the youngest pup in the litter.

And a great sorrow filled his heart, which was soon overcome by a surge of hatred towards those two-legged beasts that have flying claws and teeth which they launch at their target from hiding. Having no knowledge of their true intent and justification in hunting all of the wolf kind, he had a great loathing and fear of these beings and his reaction at every confrontation with them was that of hatred and blood lust. He had savagely attacked any such being that seemed threatening to him without remorse, often escaping with minor injury.

As his mind, in great turmoil replayed cherished memories amidst dreaded ones he looked up and peered towards what seemed like a collective movement of beings. He sprang up, all thought of his grief-stricken past now gone from his mind, and silently but briskly ran forward.

He moved at a great pace, yet made no sound, for his instincts made it clear to him that these beings were definitely in league with the ones that had lain waste his kin years ago and were now onward to deliver a fate similar to others like him. This would not come to pass if he could have any deed in it.

Now approaching a cave where these two legs had entered he pads ahead cautiously. Suddenly a cry comes to ear, a cry so familiar yet so distant, like something from an age long past. But the scent that he sensed made him clear his mind, a scent all too familiar and unmistakable. His heart races wild as he darts ahead, “no fear, no caution, no mercy.”

But as he turns the corner, his blood seems to freeze. There were too many of the savage two legs for him alone and they carried large pointed sticks, each alone capable of skewering him through the entire length of his great body.
And these ones are much bigger and uglier than the ones he hated so much. Could they be such things far worse than his Elvin nemesis?
He silently backs away as more men emerge from the cave, carrying with them a sight that fills his mind with fear and then rage. Emitting a low growl, he slinks out of sight.

The two-legs, whom he will find to know as the race of men, were a new feature for him. But he knew that they were just as bad as or far worse than the other ones, the ones that were known as the Elves. He watched the men make off with their prize and decided to follow them at a safe distance, keeping to the shadows.

They take their captive into what seems like a great many dwellings of the two legs, he follows them to the outskirts of this settlement and decides to hide nearby and wait until the Great Fire Above would sleep.

[ April 30, 2002: Message edited by: Cimmerian ]
Old 04-30-2002, 04:00 PM   #10
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Sting

Fedwie nearly jumped out of his soft little pelt when the crow spoke to him!

"Deaf in one ear?" said Fedwie to himself. "Who would have thought it? Well, then it's off to the other!"

The mouse scampered across the iron collar from one side of the oliphaunt's massive neck to the other. It was already getting hot in the burning sun, and must have been terribly uncomfortable for the great beast.

Fedwie reached the other ear and shouted as loudly as his squeaky little voice could manage, "I say! Hello there! I'm Fedwie, a mouse! I fell off the wall and wanted to know..."

Magda the oliphaunt did not care to supply answers to Fedwie the mouse. A mouse behind her ears!

The old girl trumpeted loudly in startlement, for this was a most disagreeable surprise on a most disagreeable day! All she wanted was a good back scratch! Now she was bound with hot iron, pestered by a crow, and infested with a rodent!

The leader of the men shouted sharply and threatened Magda with his long sharp hook. She swallowed her terror of the mouse and tramped along docilely.

"Oh goodness gracious me!" said Fedwie. "I am most sorry! I didn't mean to startle you! I won't hurt you, I promise!"

"If you come near my trunk, I'll squash you like jelly!" whispered Magda.

"Oh, I'll be oh so very good! I promise!" promised Fedwie.

Fedwie was not unaquainted with the rather ridiculous fear of pachyderms for small rodents, such as himself, and he had laughed at many a cruel jest about this unusual frailty in the great beasts. But he felt extremely sorry for Magda, and was quite worried about himself as well, and so spoke kindly to the old girl. By the time they reached the oliphaunt enclosure, Magda had gotten over her fear of the little mouse and they began a long friendship that would last for the rest of their lives.

Corvu the crow, was less than amused, still tasting a dusty film in the beak. There would be little to eat that a crow would relish in the oliphaunt compound. The carrion bird flapped off to observe the cook tents and to see if it could pick up something choice meant for the people or their dogs. There would be time later to check in on the ridiculous little mouse and the obtuse old oliphaunt.
Old 04-30-2002, 05:26 PM   #11
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Maleficent found his way into the city in the usual manner. He was old and thusly tired after a fruitless day. He watched the evening's activity in the square with vast but measured interest and retired to his corner in the battlements.

He thought long and hard. Maleficent was older than anything he had encountered. Still searching for that Good Deed. Ahhh...this exile wearied him. He had lost count of the summers. For what purpose was this endless ageing?.

His old yet flexible mind moved smoothly up a gear and he achieved the familiar click of foresight. In the mists of events he sieved for answers. The city was shrouded in a fog that made any real prescience impossible yet shapes moved in the darkness. He closed his eyes. As the gloom of deep thinking opened ahead of his probing thoughts he saw clearly the bright shapes of the wolves. Why so many of the Old Race?

His thought surged ahead again and he felt vitality seeping from his body as his mind drew into itself. The city was attracting what it needed. Events were in flux... He found the febrile cunning of the mouse Fedwie and wondered at such a place for the Hidden Kind. He realised that for such companions to be in confluence, the purpose must be terrible. He threw his mind out further, beyond the city walls, finding the crow, at wing, purpose unknown. The gorilla drawn to the city by frces it could not understand. What role for the Great Ape?

Maleficent shuddered and came back to himself. The floor of his castle cranny was cold and hard. He drew some straw under himself but it was damp and he shivered again. The night would be a long one. He knew many things but he did not know the dark hand that was encircling the city. He did not know the part he had in this play. Yet he could watch and assimilate. Maleficent was good at watching. He knew the wolves would not come unless there were great need.

He slept.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:10 PM   #12
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Sting

Mithiel padded forward toward the wolf, her fur on edge. Livid adrenaline rushing through her veins, mixing with blood, the brave blood of her proud ancestry of Hunting Dogs, keen in scent and eyesight.

"You are on dangerous ground Warg," She growled to the wolf, cirling her, "This is my land, my peole, my territory. Go back to the woods where you belong, daughter of Thu."

The wolf sat up in reply. Though she was much bigger than the grey hound, Mithiel was not afraid to stand her ground. The wolf had spoken to her misstress, a grave mistake in itself. Wargs were dangerous to people, and Mithiel was not afraid to defend them. She waited for the warg's reply, gnashing her teeth in anger at the wolf...
Old 04-30-2002, 08:33 PM   #13
Manelwen
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Anarya Silverbranch, I don't know if you are speaking to me...

Celebanca curled her lip at the impetuous dog who paced back and forth in front of her. "I am not Warg. I am wolf." She corrected the impetuous pup. "Do not be so quick to assume that all have trespassed in your precious territory, if you call it that. I am here against my will. Your master is keeping me here and if you haven't seen these chains already, I did not choose to put them on." She growled, curling her lip and showing a long ivory canine that gleamed in the last dying rays of the sun.

"You are warg to me."

"I am not a warg." The wolf lunged at the dog, a mere pup in her eyes but was visciously jolted when she reached the end of her chain. "Warg are tortured dark spirits, something I am not. Watch your mouth you impetuous little pup before I tear your throat out."

The Greyhound stood her ground, eyeing the wolf wearly. Silently she watched the wolf as she paced. Celebanca expected the hound to attack, her muscles tensed with the anticipation of it and her senses were averted to the beast, listening to every thumb of her heart and the breath the rushed to her lungs. Would she be willing to fight the wolf, someone who was twice her size, and weight?

[ April 30, 2002: Message edited by: Manelwen ]
Old 04-30-2002, 10:03 PM   #14
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Corvu flew above the city and beyond the walls, clutching a scrape of dried meat in her beak. The drying racks had been ignored in the commotion of preparations, and she was headed for her favorite tree beyond the walls of the city, to enjoy this very special breakfast.

She flew across the plains, over dried grass, rocks, the gleam of grey fur, more dried grass...the gleam of fur?

She did a somersault in mid-air to catch the meat that had dropped from her beak, and circled on the warm air rising from the plain. Corvu knew the pattern of jackal and fox fur as it blended into the landscape. This had been neither.

Circling back, she focused on the patch of pelt and followed its outline. This one was well hidden from the eyes of man, not that such a thing was that difficult. But to hide from the eyes of HER kind took some doing.

Corvu gulped her breakfast in mid-air. She hated doing that, and knew that this would lead to a bad case of indigestion, but such news couldn't wait!

Winging her way her way back to the Oliphaunt compound, she landed with a thump on the broad forehead of Magda.

"Magda! Magda!...she screamed in the good ear. Then she felt the tugging under her foot. Looking down, she saw poor Fedwie running wildly in place, his tailed pinned under one of Corvu's claws. What was this little mite still doing here? "Sorry, dearie", she muttered, and shifted her weight. Fedwie spurted to the other side of the massive head and collapsed in a heap.

"Corvu, there is no need to scream. I can hear you perfectly. Now get off." Magda prepared another dust bomb.

"No! Listen! In the compound, and out on the plain as well. Wolves! Two of them!"

"Wargs"

"No, my dear" Corvu breathed, "Wolves. True Wolves..."
Old 04-30-2002, 11:28 PM   #15
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

It was dark now, dark enough for him to sneak into the great walls of the two-legs great edifices unseen. Moving in quick sudden darts, he made his way through the odd structures and ornaments that provided good places of hiding. A few of the two-legs large and small moved around, but failed to notice him.

He suppressed his rage and bloodlust; he had more important things to do, and moved on. He had believed that he was the last of his kind, of the great wolf clans descended from the first of their bloodline, the great white wolf Acherane, of the cold white wastes. But now he knew otherwise, the creature the two-legs captured was doubtlessly one of his kind, for in no other kind had he seen the regal and ancient bearing that she radiated.

His heart was set in finding her and helping her in every way within his capabilities. As he neared what seem like a rather wide open space surrounded by large to small structures, it grew darker still. He sensed the presence of another canine; this one was of lower breeding than hers. Much lower and it seemed that it feared her and regarded her as an intrusion on its domain. He picked up the pace.

At last he reached the centre of the two-legs’ town and saw her. It was early night now and his dark eyes gleamed at the sight of her. She was confined to some sturdy chains, yet he was glad that she didn’t give in to animal fear and try to escape at all cost, including biting ones limbs off. No she seems too refined for such behaviour.

The other one, a traitor to his species that served the very two-legs that persecuted them, twitched around nervously. He knew that it could sense him. But before he could do anything, the creature’s keeper beckoned to it and it hurriedly leaves.

Now was the time to reveal himself. He stepped out and bounded over to her side silently. She looked up, her eyes were deep and gold, and he saw a pain and wisdom far beyond her mortal years, yet they burned with a passion, a passion to be free.

“you are…one of my kind!” she observed,” I have sensed you, but feared to believe so.”

“As have I” he returned. “We must leave this place.”

“If I can break free of these confines” she whispered” But I have tried in vain.”

“Perhaps together….“ his voice abruptly stopped and he leapt up in the air, coming down hard on top of a shadowed form that hid huddled and been watching them converse. It emitted a stifled squeal as it hit the ground hard under the great weight of the wolf and lost consciousness. The great Black Wolf growled over it, his slavering jaws inches from its small pink face. It was a very small two-leg, possibly a cub.

“Leave him be” The great she wolf hissed.

“But it has seen me, and will raise the alarm, I must slay it.” He growled “I must slay all two-legs to avenge my creed.”

“But this one is little and had nothing to do with your great loss”

“That which neither had my little ones when they were slain by two-legs for the crimes of others”

“I beseech you,” she pleaded “this one will not betray me”

“You have much faith, she wolf” he said “of which I have too little, yet I will heed you”

“My gratitude to you; and my name is Celebanca”

“I am called Rulf-Armon”
Old 05-01-2002, 07:19 AM   #16
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Maleficent panted. The effort of carrying the child from its bedchambers had nearly been beyond him. When he saw that it had come to pass as he had predicted and the child would be raised by True Wolves he felt the stirring in his heart that came whenever he played a direct role in history. So long as the child lived... He had faith in their strength. He must have faith in them. Arark, was he tired! He considered asking one of the Children of Acherene to take him to his destination, but it was no time to show his hand in this matter yet. He had to talk to Magda, for he needed deep sight to aid him.

He called for a trusted apprentice. He was tired and without food in his isolated hole. Hide he must however, for his involvement if discovered would breed dire dangers. Food he had not. So he called again for the crow. He had instructions for her.

[ May 01, 2002: Message edited by: Stephanos ]
Old 05-01-2002, 04:32 PM   #17
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Sting

"Wargs talk to humans do they not?" Mithiel demanded.

"Yes, but I am able to as well, pup!" The wolf retorted.

"I am no pup thank you. I am simply, well, young." Mithiel stuttered. She looked down at the wolf's paws. They were shackled to gether so she could not move, "Why does my master have you chained as such?"

Mithiel felt her curiosity getting the best of her anger. Her fur on her back relaxed as she waited for the answer.
Old 05-01-2002, 09:24 PM   #18
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Magda paused, her trunk in mid-air. She shuffled her feet and fanned her ears upright in uncertainty.

"There are no true wolves anymore. Not for tens of generations."

"Fedwie crept back towards the left side of Magda's head. "What is a Warg?" he asked timidly.

Corvu turned and looked at him through one black eye. "What is a WARG?" she asked with astonishment. "Did your mother give you no education, chit?"

My mother taught us everything she knew!" Fedwie bristled. "If there was danger, we knew how to recognize it and how to escape it. Jackels, foxes, cats, hawks,...er...crows. But I've never seen a Warg, or a 'true wolf', before" he lowered his head and crept nearer. "Please tell me."

"A wolf would not concern himself with prey like you, Fedwie", Magda chuckled. They would seek larger game. Or would, if they were free to choose where and what to hunt.

But long ago the wolf kind bound themselves, body and soul, to the two-legs known as the Goblins. They were not tamed, like the dog-folk, or chained into slavery...as you see me now," Magda sighed. This was something different, and even darker. For the wolf-folk aligned themselves with the goblin kind, though they still roamed free through the forests of the North, their lives were totally controlled by their two-legged masters. They do not hunt, nor mate, nor roam, except by the bidding of the Goblins, though there is neither chain, nor whip, nor lure of food to bind them. Certainly there is no love. They are mindless, and souless beings. No animal in all our history has been controlled in such a way. How this control was achieved, none of us know. I doubt that even the wolves know."

"And so the wolf-kind became the Wargs. And Wargs they have remained throughout the generations."

"But not these two!" Corvu exclaimed, flapping her wings in excitement. "I saw! I know! And the female denied it herself! Not wargs! Wolves! True Wolves!"

Fedwie looked around in the dying light, and shuddered. "But will Goblins come looking for them? Will they try to control them? Will they try to control us, too?"

Magda and Corvu threw back their heads and laughed. "No, Fedwie, as far as I know, the Goblin-kind have never required the services of Warg mice." Magda smiled grimly, and glanced at the black and grey bird on her back. "Now the Crebain, that is another story."

Corvu's laughter turned off like it was controlled by a switch. Her beak snapped shut, the sound echoing across the compound like a broken branch. She dug her claws into the hide of the Oliphaunt, and looked off into the distance. "We will not speak of those kind, here", she said in an uncomfortable tone.

"Besides", she added in irritation. "You know very well, Magda, that we carrion crows are solitary scavengers."

At that moment, a scrambling sound was heard coming along the mud wall of the compound. The three animals looked up to see a small monkey walking along the top of the wall, looking nervously over his shoulder at the encroaching darkness. He crept up to the head of the Oliphaunt, made a respectful gesture and said, "I come seeking Magda the Oliphaunt, and Corvu, the carrion crow. I have messages for both of you from my master, Malificent. Am I addressing the animals I seek?"
Old 05-02-2002, 07:15 AM   #19
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

The crow shuffled uncomfortably in the narrow space behind the eaves. She longed to be back out in the open air. The musty smell of the narrow space was stifling. Yet more than anything else she wanted to get away from the old monkey with the terrible eyes, glittering fiercely in the darkness.

She could feel his eyes on her, seeing through her, discerning everything.

The young assistant had vanished shortly after leading her here.

Quelling her rising panic she listened calmly to the monkey's unfolding instructions. After a few moments she wondered if the old simian was senile. However his bearing was as sure as it had been all those years ago when he had mended her wing and forged the unlikeliest of alliances. So she held her beak closed and looked as attentive as he clearly expected.

As she wriggled through the eaves and out into the dimming sky, her mind was racing. To rescue a true wolf! To lead the wolves from the city with the child of the Prince! At the remembrance of Maleficent's predicted fate for Magda she shivered anew and her wing beats faltered. And why is the thrice-bedamned mouse so important?

She knew Maleficent would proffer no answers. She flew on to Magda.

-----------------------
OOC: Birdie I hope you didn't mind me 'borrowing' Corvu for a short time. No offense intended.
-----------------------

Maleficent took several deep breaths and swung out from the eaves. He scrambled his way over the lip of the roof-tiles and scampered easily to the apex of the building. He surveyed the dusky square. The chained wolf, conversing with what appeared to be no more than an extension of the shadows from the wall. The tired and bewildered looking pachyderm on the far side. The humans still thronging around the perimeters of the sqaure but never crossing it, issued back by volleyed commands from the grim faced uniformed men.

Maleficent sighed and turned to face the other way, fearing for what he might see. His worst fears were realised. An army from the North had come. Realising, as he had predicted they would, the child's importance they had come to find him. His eyes spied Goblin raiding parties further back in the darkness. They had come seeking their invaluable and irreplaceable Wolves.

That was nothing to what Maleficent saw when he turned his eyes South. Then he wished the night would swallow him whole.

Nevertheless he had put the first movements in place that might see the Races through this crisis.

Either that or his name would be cursed through the Ages for all time.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:55 AM   #20
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Corvu flew back to Magda. Fedwie sat curled up in the shelter of the Oliphaunt's ear-flap, while she watched the old crow lean down and whisper urgently in his new friend's left ear.

Magda sighed. "I can do nothing for these creatures now, as you see me. And I believe Maleficent is asking far too much of any of us. What cause does he have to concern himself with the welfare of this human calf?"

"I don't know!" hissed Corvu, "but a promise is a promise. He healed my wing, good as new. Favors must be returned, at least from my end. You will do, or not do, as you see fit."

"Of course I will", said Magda matter-of-factly. She rolled one small eye towards her right shoulder. "For now, take Fedwie." Corvu hopped in the air in surprise.

"What! The little chit. For what?"

"For now, all you need is a good pair of eyes. Those he has. But bring him back! I've grown fond of 'the little chit', you know." Magda smiled.

Corvu eyed the mouse as she would eye a rotten branch. "Come then. Well, hop on," she said. "You wanted adventure. Here it is. Unless you want me to drop you off at your hole in the wall again."

Fedwie could never explain later why he jumped. But jump he did, and crouched between the soft back feathers of the crow, digging his claws into the down as solidly as he could and shutting his eyes. Corvu launched and winged her way to the pole corral beside the compound where the wolf was chained.

She eyed the chain linked to the female wolf nervously. "20 wings, at least 20...so 25 should do."

"Why am I here, Corvu?" said Fedwie, climbing down and crouching as near as he could to the post of the corral. The dark was full of predators, and the presence of Corvu was not as comforting as the protection of his new friend Magda.

"I must speak to the female wolf. YOUR job is to keep an eye on the other, there, in the shadows. If he moves, you sound the alarm. I can only watch one at a time."

"But I thought these wolves were your friends. You seemed so happy to know that they were here."

"Friends!" exclaimed Corvu. "Of course not! I'f I'm happy, it's because Wolves that are not Wargs will restore a balance to our world that has been lost. They are important. They are welcomed. But Friends? By wings and beak, they're still primary predators, and most likely hungry, to boot."

"Friends", she scoffed. "Do you take me for an fledgling? Now you just keep your eye on that male. If something happens to me, you'll have a long walk back to your 'friend', Magda. Now look sharp. I'm going."

"With a flip of her wings, Corvu landed quietly in front of the chained wolf. 25 wing-lengths away.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:15 PM   #21
Manelwen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Celebanca reached over and gently snapped the little boy's shirt in her jaw to pull him away from the wolf. "Rulf-Armon, I am glad to meet you, considering the circumstances of my little predicament." She diverted her attention to the little babe that had wiped it's runny nose on her leg. "Little one, your mother must be worried about you." She said softly, laying down and leaning her head over to nuzzle the child softly.

The black wolf growled, disgust glittering in his cold eyes, "You would forsake your ancestors for this thing, a spawn of all the pain that we have been through?" He growled.

"You," She took a deep breath, to control the white hot rage that burned in her mind, "Should realize where you are, the times we live in, and the things that have been in the past." She said the words that her grandmother and said to her in the past when she considered taking her revenge on the ones that killed her father.

His eyes were still intently on hers, and he stilled his pacing, as if he had come to a conclusion. "So you intend to join league with these two-footers?"

"No." Celebanca snapped, pulling her muzzle away from the squirming mass of pink flesh, "No. My pack was killed by elves in Lothlorien, I feel angry too, but this child has done nothing to deserve my wrath. What would it bring to me if I did kill this child? It would bring about my own death without a doubt." The babe had settled down and she could hear its breathing slowing as it drifted off to sleep, nestled against her chest. "Rulf-Armon, you best leave before they spot you and throw you in chains also."

The lights in the large manor to their side immediatly went on, a wail sounded through the still night air and immediatly, dogs began to bark. "I will find a way to get you out of here, Celebanca." He turned, looking over his shoulder before he ran quickly through the city, engluphed in the night's shadows.

Celebanca turned her head to the door, and saw it open, the grey hound that had previously talked to her, rushed out following at her master's heel. "You have him." The man said accusingly, pointing his finger at the wolf.

"That I do." The silver wolf nodded "He came to me and I kept him warm, the night air is probably dangerous for such a young one as this." She moved her head away to reveal the little boy who was sleeping in a small ball, against her chest.

"My baby!" The woman shoved her way passed the man and to the side of the wolf, "May I have him please!"

The wolf nodded her head "Yes, on one condition, you release me." Celebanca said, looking deep into the woman's dark eyes.

"Yes, anything. Aramir, get the chains off of her." She ordered quickly, wiping her hands on her dress, and licking her lips nervously. "NOW." She screamed.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:53 PM   #22
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Sting

Mithiel watched the scene intently. That wolf would not hurt the child. She could have attcked her that afternoon if she had had the chance, her being twice the size of the greyhound, but she had not. Even though her chains would have prevented her from doing much harm, the wolf still could have hurt her.

Mithiel whimpered to her master, and an agreeing bark set him to turn and look at her.

"Quiet Mithiel!" He said pondering the situation.

Her master was a proud man, he would not let the wolf go, even though his own child was in her grasp. Mithiel barked again and again. Than she saw her master's fist tighten, and she knew she had made a mistake upon her mouth again.

"I said quiet!" Yelled her master, than her turned and gave her a stunning blow across the nose with his tightened hand .

It stung harshly and Mithiel tasted blood on her tongue. She yelped and fell back. Whimpering as she edged off to the other side of the courtyard, nursing her wound the best she could. She watched the rest of the situation from there...
Old 05-03-2002, 12:18 AM   #23
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Rulf-Armon backed away from Celebanca as the lights flooded the compound snarling “All they will put in chains will be my carcass in a sea of their foul blood”
And he melted into the shadows; the barking of dogs grew louder.

As he made his way towards an unlit structure, he could hear Celebanca converse with the two-legs. It took all his will power to restrict himself from launching into the man and tearing his throat out. Wild fire red thoughts raced through his mind in a haze of savage animal passion. But a sharp gnawing pain reminded him that he had not eaten since early that day.

Entering the unlit structure, he caught the scent of fresh meat…. But it was a day since and only the alluring aroma is all that remained. Now he was seething; that little two-leg cub would have made him a decent repast but for that she wolf.

Peering out of the shadows he watched the she-wolf as she seemed to strike a deal of sorts with the two-legs, the female of which appeared distraught and ready to do anything while the male stood firm and adamant, much like he himself would be in such a predicament. The whimpering mongrel at the male’s side barked away as if it was its domain that was being invaded, but a sharp blow from its keeper shut it up. The great black wolf gritted his savage teeth and glared at the dog. Could it not see through the ways of its two-leg keeper and turn against him, for it would make a fine companion in battle against these evil ones.

Then something floated silently down, a carrion fowl…. It had perched itself stealthily behind the two-legs and seemed intent on getting the great She wolf’s attention.

Then another creature caught his sharp eye as it silently bounded from the tops of the two-leg’s structures, it was something he had never seen before, but its scent was that of no two-leg cub but more the likes of rodents and tree dwellers…..

And only one thought came to his savage mind ………… Food!
Old 05-03-2002, 10:11 AM   #24
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

"OUTOUTOUTOUT!"

Croaking frantically, Corvu leaped up from the courtyard and flew to the corral fence. Landing with a thump beside the frozen Fedwie, she swiftly grabbed the mouse in her beak and flew up into the night sky.

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" screamed Fedwie, and he scrambled his feet in midair as he instinctively tried to run. For a moment he thought that the crow's hunger had won out over any "mission" she had been sent on.

Then he realized that Corvu's beak was closed around him as lightly has his mother's teeth when she carried him back to the nest. Going limp, Fedwie finally saw how HIGH in the air they were, for in her panic, Corvu had flown straight up above the courtyard. Lights, dogs, wolves and humans were mere specks below her.

"Tighter! Hold me tiiiiigter!" squeeked Fedwie, and he squeezed his eyes shut as he waited for a sickening drop back to earth.

Thump! Fedwie felt the jolt of landing, and the feel of rough, wrinkled hide under his feet as he was released. He smelled the warm, overpowering, welcome smell of his friend Magda again. Sighing in relief, he opened his eyes.

"Well", what happened" asked Magda.

"I tried to talk to her! I really tried!" said Corvu, But just as I landed in front of her and started to address her, lights went on, people were running towards her, dogs were barking and kii-yii-ing. It was a madhouse! A madhouse, I tell you. I had to leave. I could have been trampled!"

"And you!" she glared at Fedwie. Where were you when all this happened? Were you keeping an eye on that male, like I told you?"

"Yes, Corvu! I was! All the time. I fact," Fedwie quivered, "I think he saw me. Or he saw something. He was starting to come towards the corral. And then...thank you for saving me, Corvu."

"Hmmmph!" sniffed Corvu.

"And so no message was delivered from Maleficent." stated Magda. Crow and mouse both looked at her, and hung their heads...
Old 05-03-2002, 11:13 AM   #25
Manelwen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

The wolf watched as the man neared with a sword, he set the tip to the chain and drove it into the ground, the chainlink broke with a slight 'clink' and Celebanca sighed in relief.

"Give me my baby back." The woman cried, holding her hands out to the wolf.

Picking the sleeping boy up in her teeth the wolf stood slowly and walked over to the mother, and gently set the babe in her arms. "Your child has a very good sense of direction, he will make a great man if he can survive that long." Celebanca's eyes were to the skies, she had seen it. A crow was trying to catch her attention just earlier but she was far too worried about her own well being to listen. "My name is Celebanca. Next time, if you wish to speak with me do not poison me. And you," She whirled on the man who held the sword up "If you ever think of putting me in chains again, you will not live to see the next sun, I vow on my father's grave. No wolf deserves this." She took a step towards him, her gold eyes lit with an angry flame that intimidated him, or was that the size of the wolf that scared him? She was more than half the normal size of the mangy wolves and other canines that inhabited the land, even his grey hound, who stood only to her shoulder could tear him in half if she wished it so. Two-footers were so vulnerable.

"Orcs! Orcs!" A guard called from the wall, he lit the large scone on the wall, and immediatly, the whole city was in action.

The wolf stood in the middle of the chaos, watching silently as the foolish two-footers scrambled for weapons or cover. The woman and the baby had left and was running to the door of their manor. "Foolish Two-footers."She muttered to herself. Why do I have to get caught up in their war? She asked herself.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:16 AM   #26
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

The aged monkey watched as plans swiftly unravelled in front of him. His mind racing, he made his way along the battlements, the cold breeze ruffling the fur on the back of his head. Agile, even at his age, he swiftly reached a point directly above the action.

He saw the large male Wolf staring up at him with undisguised hunger. Ach, the stories were true of the Old Wolves! Real predators. Yet this Wolf had a place to play in the falling out of events.

The hound could yet prove to be useful... Thw female human leaned over the great she-wolf that held her baby. Maelficent was afraid, very afraid. No sooner had he achieved what he had thought impossible, when all was to be snatched away! This comes of playing a direct role, fool ape. Leave heroics to others and stay in the shadows, where you belong. You deserve your name, Maleficent. The voices in his head clamoured for his retreat. He forced their sibilant whisperings to a faint buzz.

The child must leave the city! Tonight! He sat, safe on his airy perch, chin in hand, surveying disaster.
Old 05-03-2002, 01:12 PM   #27
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Sting

Mithiel lept forward, ignoring the pain in her snout, hearing the sounds of battle. She ran to the wolf in the middle of the courtyard.

"Please," She said desperately, "My puppies, my children are in the alley, they haven't even opened their eyes yet. If I don't get the soon they will be trampled! There are three and I need help carrying them, please."
Mithiel pleaded desperately.

She wasn't sure she could trust the wolf, but considering she was a canine as herself, maybe she would understand her predicatment.
She waited for the wolf's answer, her heart pounding with fright.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:40 PM   #28
Manelwen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

There was no time for words, the wolf gave a quick nod of her head and bound passed the two-footers that were scrambling and noisly hollaring to one another. She slowed down and let the hound take the lead, weaving in and out of alleyways, they finally came to a deadend, and the greyhound stopped abruptly and gave Celebanca a worried look. "They are here." The hound said softly.

The wolf smelled them and hear them before she said anything, gently she walked forward and saw the little pups. They hadn't even opened their eyes yet and as soon as they heard their mother's voice they yipped and cried. They were hungry. "Right." The wolf glanced at the end of the alleyway, wondering where the large male wolf was. "I can take two in my mouth. You take the other, alright?" She said and before the hound could answer, Celebanca scooped two of the squirming pups in her mouth and waited for the mother to take the other.

With a quick nod of her head, they were off. The two glided like wraiths on the night air, towards the manor in which they had ran from. The grey hound darted inside, but Celebanca was stuck in the courtyard, surrounded by four men. "Where do you think you are going?" One of them growled.

Dropping the yipping pups at her feet gently, she spoke in a low and deadly voice "I am saving your master's pups from being trampled by you foolish men. Now, get out of my way before you get hurt." She threatened.

He laughed, and around him, the men tittered nervously, glancing at their leader. "Oh? The Master told me to look after you; get you out of his hair so to speak." He suggested his means of 'looking after her' by pointing his spear at her.

"You have to be joking." The wolf sat and calmly looked the man up and down. He was tall, built with a muscular frame but his middle sagged slightly from indulging in too many feasts. He had a curly mop of black hair, greasy skin and shifty grey eyes. His face was sallow and his cheeks sunken and bristling with week old stubble. "If you wish to see tomorrow, I suggest you get out of my way." She was getting tired of threatening them, but the foolish men didn't see that she was far more dangerous than they could ever be. She could out run their spears and many a man's arrows. She could dart and dodge sword blows and fists. It would take a simple lunge, catching him off guard and taking him to the ground. Her jaws could easily wrap around his head and crush his skull. "All of you two-footers are the same; you are all too stupid to see when you are outmatched and out played. Get out of my way before I kill you. I am not joking, your spears are nothing if you cannot catch me. None of your weapons will hurt me or kill me before I kill each and everyone of you. Worry about the orcs that are coming this way. Not about me." She turned her head to the wall, were the door was. They were using a ram against it and the beams were cracking and groaning under the strain.

"We'll finish this, she-wolf." He pointed his spear at her, threateningly.

"I can hardly wait." She said before scooping the pups up in her mouth and darting pass them.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:36 PM   #29
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

The great black wolf looked on grimly as the she-wolf was set free, was there such a thing as honour among the two-leg devils, he wondered. He saw the female desperately snatch hold of her cub from Celebanca. Then they spoke. Words of praise he understood not.

Turning attention towards the old monkey he moved ahead. It seemed to watch him approach but made no attempt to flee. Silent as a spectre, the great black wolf loomed over the old creature. It looked at him with wise yet baleful eyes.

“What manner of creature are you” the wolf grunted “I see that there is more to you than meets the eye, and mine eyes are amongst the sharpest.”

The monkey, relieved that the wolf had given up the notion of eating him, said “I am of simian creed, my tale is long but I fear time is too short for me to tell it.”

“You are in league with the carrion fowl, and also with the great beast that is captive over there; tell me what goes on here?”

But before the simian can answer, a great pandemonium breaks loose in the city…. Two-legs are yelling and running about, torches being lit and the clang of weapons ring out. He looks around and sees the great she-wolf allying herself with the dog and helping her in some task. There is hope yet for the lost one, he muses.

Turning his attention to the simian, who nervously looks around, he says, “I know of the ones called Orc, they are a foul kind of the two-legs, but not very good at the ways of keeping wolf pets as the two-legs here are”
“Aye,” says the simian “they are enemies of the men of this land.”

Then the great wolf picks up the scent of fear coming from the dog, Mithiel. He looks out of the shadows to see the great she-wolf Celebanca being addressed by a few two-legs in aggressive fashion. He rears up, fangs and claws at the ready; he nearly springs forward when the monkey grabs him by the tail.

“What….Why do you stop me?” Rulf-Armon demanded of the simian, his salivating jaws a threat that sent chills down the monkey’s spine.

“Patience, great one, there is no immediate danger. Celebanca has the situation in control.” He says in a calm voice. “You have a bigger part to play yet; do not hinder things by intruding now for they will surely kill you before they know better.”

“How do you say this?” the wolf asked, rage and bloodlust drenching his voice.
“There is indeed more to you than meets my eye. Tell me, old one, what goes on here?”
Old 05-11-2002, 06:10 AM   #30
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

The great wolf sat down to pick his teeth and then he dozed off blissfully.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:48 AM   #31
Manelwen
Haunting Spirit

Celebanca suddenly looked over to see Rulf-Armon flop onto his stomach. She suddenly tipped over, hit the ground and rolled onto her back, her legs sticking up into the air like an upturned table. With a contented sigh, the wolf fell asleep and had happy wolf dreams.

[ May 23, 2002: Message edited by: Manelwen ]