The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-16-2002, 08:09 AM   #1
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Sting Tulkas Purpouse

Was Tulkas forced to aid the Valar in their fight against Melkor. Was he one of the ainur that desired to be with Eru, but was forced to go to Ea and fight against Melkor.
Quote:
Thus it came to pass that of the Ainur some abode still with Ilúvatar beyond the confines of the World; but others, and among them many of the greatest and most fair, took the leave of Ilúvatar and descended into it. But this condition Ilúvatar made, or it is the necessity of their love, that their power should thenceforward be contained and bounded in the World, to be within it for ever, until it is complete, so that they are its life and it is theirs. And therefore they are named the Valar, the Powers of the World.
Or did he chose in the begining to be one of the Valar.
Quote:
Greatest in strength and deeds of prowess is Tulkas, who is surnamed Astaldo, the Valiant. He came last to Arda, to aid the Valar in the first battles with Melkor.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:43 PM   #2
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I believe that it was in Tulkas' nature to prove his prowess & physical strength and, therefore, he willingly joined the Valar. He knew that his powers of strength would aid them against Melkor, and I personally think he enjoyed using them to subdue Melkor. I've always pictured him more simple and human-like (LARGE human that is) than the others, rubbing his large hands in front of a yellow-bearded, grinning face. The kind of man who takes great pride in physical, back-breaking work, and relishes an afternoon nap on the green grass, a doer more than a thinker. Tulkas would not be one to stand on the sidelines while the Valar struggled against Melkor, and that is why I think he made the choice on his own to join the Valar. He adds light-heartedness and an earthiness to the ranks of the Lords of the West. As to why he came last to Arda, I do not know. Perhaps it is due to his greatness and age being less than that of those who proceeded him, his spirit was still maturing.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:49 PM   #3
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Purpose or porpoise? Tulkas' porpoise is an underrated character in the world of Middle Earth. He grew so large that he became embedded in the ocean floor. He is now regarded as another of the Enchanted Isles. His name is Geoffrey the Terrible.

More seriously, Tulkas seemed inherently willing to demonstrate his prowess, as has been suggested. Therefore, his assumption of the role of a Valar was natural.
Old 09-16-2002, 03:02 PM   #4
sea-elf

Sting

I agree Tulkas willingly volunteered to come to Arda and aid the Valar:
Quote:
But in the midst of the war a spirit of great strength and hardihood came to the aid of the Valar, hearing in the far heaven that there was a battle in the Little Kingdom...So came Tulkas the Strong...
It seems Tulkas couldn't resist; he was like a fresh calvary coming to the rescue in the nick of time, for the Valar were weary of their labors and battles with Melkor. It seems he enjoyed residing in Arda too, for he took a spouse, Nessa.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:30 PM   #5
Guildo
Wight

Guildo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Guildo
Tolkien

I like to think Tulkas was looking down on what was going on, and Saw how Melkor was Defacing Eru's lands and became angry, and dedicated gis live as a Valar to see to it that he protects all ME from this Evil. sure i guess you can say all the Valar felt this, but i think Tulkas was more of a go getter and had a taste for action and battle.

Glen Sight
Guildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 11:22 PM   #6
bombur
Wight

bombur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

And let us not forget that upon coming to arda the Valar clad their radiance in corporeal body... More then to any other Vala this sort of seems to become Tulkas. Hes sort of physical type of guy.

JH
bombur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 08:46 AM   #7
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Question

Didn't Tulkas in a way, by coming to the aid of the Valar, accepted the he would be bound to the world just as the other Valar, instead of being free and with Ilúvatar. Was that a great loss for him? Is being with the presence of Ilúvatar a better fate than the one he chose?